Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Water shutoff or not?

When I go away from my property for extended times (1-2 weeks),
can I shut-off the main water-shutoff valve to the entire house, without affecting the oil furnace?

Someone told me , that the furnace may need water replenished from loss over extended periods ? Is this true ?

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

I asked the service manager at Foley Oil about running the FHW furnace off a small generator during a power outage with the water off. (The small generator does not power the water pump). He said no problem for the typical power outage of a day or two. Now if you are thinking about 2 weeks you might want to talk to the service manager at your oil company. It could very well be OK but I would ask the professional.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
bigdog (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
Phantom

If your power went out for a week or two .... I'd first want to consider (1) where I live (2) getting a new service provider

sorry - couldn't resist on a Friday
Winnisquamer (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
If your power went out for a week or two .... I'd first want to consider (1) where I live (2) getting a new service provider

sorry - couldn't resist on a Friday
The OP question was if they shut the power off to their water only would it affect the furnace, not if the power was out for the entire home. Hope this helps clarify.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
When I go away from my property for extended times (1-2 weeks),
can I shut-off the main water-shutoff valve to the entire house, without affecting the oil furnace?

Someone told me , that the furnace may need water replenished from loss over extended periods ? Is this true ?

Thanks,
Bigdog
I believe what you were told is true. I have seen small pressurized water tanks added to boilers just for this purpose

This would be for forced hot water heating systems. Not forced hot air.

Last edited by jeffatsquam; 02-12-2016 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
MOXIE

Default Water shut-off or not.

To answer your original question, Yes your boiler may need small amounts of water from time to time. However, if your system is not to old, your boiler has a "low water shut down circuit". If you are on a well, jet pump {shallow well or drawing from the lake} or city water, your pressure is probably between 40psi and 60psi. Your boiler has an emergency blow off valve set at 30psi. The boiler normally has 14psi to run properly. The domestic water supply has a regulator, at the boiler, to maintain 14psi. The regulator has in-line to the boiler a "back-flow preventer" {to prevent boiler water from entering the domestic supply, if the domestic pressure dropped below 14psi}.
If I understand your concern correctly, You are afraid that if the power went out, and the house froze and burst pipes, you would not want the water to come on when the power was restored. In my experience most homes will not freeze for 3 or 4 days.
If your heating system is in good shape, Shutting off the "Water Supply Valve" for a week or two, should not hurt anything.
Peace My Friend, Moxie
MOXIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
camp guy

All these answers are predicated on temperature, and bigdog never mentioned temperature in his post. Possibly, we were to infer the meaning of his question, but the question wasn't about temperature.

The answer to your question is simple, so simple: As your service provider, and couch you question in the fact that IF you do have a problem you will be looking to him to make you (totally) whole.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #8
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
The answer to your question is simple, so simple: As your service provider, and couch you question in the fact that IF you do have a problem you will be looking to him to make you (totally) whole.
This is probably the most useless post in the thread, sorry. Your service provider isn't going to take on any liability just because they answered a simple question for you.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
tummyman

Hydronic systems do not leak water unless you have failed pipes or a leaking boiler. You would see the mess. IMHO, if you do not see water, then you do not have a meed for makeup. This is not like an old steam system. I keep the heat on all winter...set at 55 degrees. I shut the circuit breaker off for my well pump, just in case there is a problem and the pipes freeze. There have been instances where houses have had a frozen pipe, then it thaws and the place fills with water. Ugly mess. From my opinion, there would be so little makeup needed, you are safe t turn it off. I'm no expert, but this is what makes sense to me. And I have been doing this for 12 years now.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #10
camp guy

Default water shutoff or not?

Okay, brk-Int, when you become a recognized expert on all manner of heating systems, boilers, and pipes, I will pay attention to your response, but, until then, if you want to make an unfavorable remark about my post (or any others), please, keep it to yourself.

Have a nice day, and Happy New Year.
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
diz (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #11
wifi

Ok, I too just threw in a post, to keep this thread doing
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #12
dpg

If the home is forced hot air heat you need no water...I'm no expert either just experience with my families NH home that has the main water supply shut off every time we're not there and it's been 30 years now, summer and winters.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Okay, brk-Int, when you become a recognized expert on all manner of heating systems, boilers, and pipes, I will pay attention to your response, but, until then, if you want to make an unfavorable remark about my post (or any others), please, keep it to yourself.

Have a nice day, and Happy New Year.
Are you saying/implying that YOU are a recognized expert in HVAC systems?

As for my comments, I'll post whatever I like, regardless of your personal opinion. And if I think someone is giving poor or impractical advice, as was the case for your post, I will absolutely point it out.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #14
camp guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Are you saying/implying that YOU are a recognized expert in HVAC systems?

As for my comments, I'll post whatever I like, regardless of your personal opinion. And if I think someone is giving poor or impractical advice, as was the case for your post, I will absolutely point it out.
With respect to sentence #1, not in any way at all; and, with respect to sentence #2, I am sure you will.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #15
MOXIE

Default Drama

Bigdog was concerned about a possible water problem. WHY did this thread have to include ANY drama. Lets just help each other out and not let this site turn into Craigslist Rants and Raves.
Peace My Friends, Moxie
MOXIE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MOXIE For This Useful Post:
camp guy (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #16
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Hydronic systems do not leak water unless you have failed pipes or a leaking boiler. You would see the mess. IMHO, if you do not see water, then you do not have a meed for makeup. This is not like an old steam system. I keep the heat on all winter...set at 55 degrees. I shut the circuit breaker off for my well pump, just in case there is a problem and the pipes freeze. There have been instances where houses have had a frozen pipe, then it thaws and the place fills with water. Ugly mess. From my opinion, there would be so little makeup needed, you are safe t turn it off. I'm no expert, but this is what makes sense to me. And I have been doing this for 12 years now.
I thought this addressed the question posed and it would be exactly my answer if the op had make-up water concerns.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
wifi

Be kind of neat if an OP could close their own thread, when they got their answer, or it got to the point they didn't want to hear any drivel.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
camp guy (02-16-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #18
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Be kind of neat if an OP could close their own thread, when they got their answer, or it got to the point they didn't want to hear any drivel.
Good idea actually only problem (?) I could see is someone going on or responding to a "rant" saying their piece then closing down the thread. I dunno to me just kind of takes away from the purpose of a "forum" to begin with. However I do still think it's an interesting idea!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-18-2016)