Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Coolbreeze

Default Snow!!

WAAA HOOO! Snow here in Pa, looks to be a big one. Sorry New England, I don't mean to rub it in. If I can't enjoy the cold of New Hampshire in NEw Hampshire, i certainly can pretend for a few hours here in Filthadelphia.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I know you guys don't even need that stuff but WE DO.........I'm looking out my rear window now and seeing grass which means no snowmobiles.......a very big part of our business. February is usually the best month of winter with vacations, valentines day and a couple of presidents birthdays but it's not looking too good this year.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
LakesRegionSpirit

And,most likely, no sled dog races next weekend.
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
John A. Birdsall

Default No snow

But my friends think of it this way, no snow, no snow plows, less cost to the town/city/state. No digging out the end of the driveway for the umteenth time the snow plows go bye. and perhaps less accidents on the highway.

And no small motor noises from the snowmobiles, so your ears are better off. Oooo am I gonna hear it now.

But I love to look over the lake, over fields and see snow untouched by man I could sit in my arm chair and watch the snow fall all the time, and as long as that Canadian Mist bottle is there watch to see my wife shoveling us out.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Tiger Lilly

We have your snow down here in Maryland. Please come and get it!
Tiger Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Pineedles

Default Send it up here

Our Nation's Capital is inundated with snow! Just heard from my daughter in DC, over 2 feet and counting and she just got power back on, from being out since early this morning. She said this morning she didn't have to worry about heat in the house,............. because she has gas. Kids!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Blue Thunder

Default maybe just maybe.....

There is a midweek snow potential this week. Many of the operational models are leaning towards the event. We haven't had the prognosticators on the forum chiming in this year like in past years, so here is your chance Rose, chipnh, CLA, R2B...lets go!!

Blue Thunder

Last edited by Blue Thunder; 02-06-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
Lakegeezer

I'm flying home on Wednesday - my travels is often enough of a weak signal for the weather models to produce snow and make travel interesting. It will be worth it. We need snow bad!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Sunrise Point

My daughter called from Pittsburgh around 1PM and said that they had over a foot of heavy "heart attack" snow. They have no electricity and are hunkered down for the rest of the weekend. They expect the snow to stop around 5 pm.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
There is a midweek snow potential this week. Many of the operational models are leaning towards the event. We haven't had the prognosticators on the forum chiming in this year like in past years, so here is your chance Rose, chipnh, CLA, R2B...lets go!! Blue Thunder
It looks too far south to me. Maybe a little snow, but not that much. Another chance for snow around the 16th. This cold, dry air is locked in and keeping storms away.

Sooner or later, the high will move out and the moist air will be back. That will support storms, but the individual tracks will determine rain, ice or snow. It has been a boring last few weeks and that pattern looks to continue.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #11
Coolbreeze

It looks like another 12" is forecasted us here in Pa. Thats good...I think.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
chipj29

Will see what happens, but this one could end up too far south to see any amounts greater than 3-6" up this way. Southern New England looks to get the most out of this one. Things could change though...
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
Blue Thunder

Sorry Chipj29, I don't know where I messed up your screen name but I did.

BT
Old 02-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Sorry Chipj29, I don't know where I messed up your screen name but I did.

BT
No worries man...if that is the worst thing that happens to me today, then it is a great day!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
bilproject

Default Another MidAtlantic Storm Tue-Wed

Well it looks like Phil. to Asbury Park, NJ is ground Zero to yet another foot of snow this week. That will take us to over 5' for the season if it happens. I'm scheduled to head to NH Friday for my annual Presidents weekend stay on Bear Island. I usually make the trip so I get a taste of real winter. This year I'm not sure I need or want another taste.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #16
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
Well it looks like Phil. to Asbury Park, NJ is ground Zero to yet another foot of snow this week. That will take us to over 5' for the season if it happens. I'm scheduled to head to NH Friday for my annual Presidents weekend stay on Bear Island. I usually make the trip so I get a taste of real winter. This year I'm not sure I need or want another taste.
Bring some snow up with you. Not much around here and what remains is looking pretty funky now.

R2B
Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
bilproject

Talking The F150 Bed's Still Full

You can have all a 150 will hold. Have'nt cleaned it out all winter. Some real hard pack stuff at the bottom. I'll leave the whole pile in Brown's parking lot. Now you all share! Of course that Jersey snow is a little on the gray side you know! Especially after it sits for awhile.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #18
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Will see what happens, but this one could end up too far south to see any amounts greater than 3-6" up this way. Southern New England looks to get the most out of this one. Things could change though...
Still not looking good for the snow lovers. I am thinking 3 to maybe 6" at the MA/NH border, 1-3" Manchester/Concord, and very light snow (dusting) lakes region.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #19
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Still not looking good for the snow lovers. I am thinking 3 to maybe 6" at the MA/NH border, 1-3" Manchester/Concord, and very light snow (dusting) lakes region.
Well, I was partially right. Concord all the way down to 128 in MA got about 1". Not sure if there was any snow north of Concord, but I doubt it was more than 1".
Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM   #20
fpartri497

Default snow depth

Here In east concord, we got barley a noticeable trace

think spring
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #21
Grant

We got 24" last weekend down here in SE Pennsylvania, and then another 16-20 yesterday.

We're sorry for taking all the New Hampshire snow. You guys can have it back any time you like. Really.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #22
Janet

Want snow...come to Dallas. We've had about 2 inches overnight and they are forecasting more throughout the day. Doesn't sound like much but considering all the overpasses we have down here, it should prove to be an interesting day for getting around with these crazy drivers. Winter storm warning is in effect until midnight tonight. What's with this weather...this is our 3rd storm of the season?!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #23
jmen24

1 1/2" in New London, slightly less than to the east in Andover.

The way I look at it is, if it is going to be cold, I want the snow with it, if no snow then let it all melt, the golf clubs are itching to come out and cause me some heartache.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
fatlazyless

Out on the Waterville Valley 9-hole, par-3 golf course; it's look'n a heck of a lot more green grass than old, dried-out white snow. The cross country ski trails are about 96% closed, excepting for the 2.8-mile Livermore, no fee zone, White Mt National Forest, public access area. For some unknown reason, the no fee zone - cross country 2.8 miles, groomed and double-tracked up the Livermore Rd definately has the best snow by far. Plus of course, it is open and being used by locals who know about it as it is totally not-advertised. How'd that snow happen to fall only in the no-fee zone? Is this some type of snow conspiracy?

Look'n at channel 58 on the tv; the high speed, four seater, main quad chairlift shows chair, after chair, after chair with nobody on-board. A beautifull sunny Thursday, February 11, with little wind, 32-degrees, 45-open trails out of 50, and Waterville Valley downhill definately looks very, very deserted.

What's up with that? Is it the 67-dollar price for a Thursday ticket or something else that I missed? Monday's and Fridays are two-fer days.......which means half-price of $67. or 33.50. Used to be WV promoted itself as "Altitude without the Attitude." How's about "Altitude without the Hoi-Polloi Thursdays."

WV scored a big empty snowless zero in yesterday's non-snowstorm, and it's look'n a lot more like bicycle weather out there.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-11-2010 at 11:14 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #25
Janet

Dallas area received over 9 inches of snow yesterday. Just one problem - we don't have snowplows down here.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #26
Resident 2B

Default Stormy Weather in the Future

It is starting to look like this blocking pattern is going to change, BUT it will not happen for another ten days or so. The storms are now being driven well south of the New England area, but around Feb 23rd, it is looking like a prolonged period of stormy weather. Until then, we will see a lot of sun with slightly below normal temps. The sun is becoming higher each day and getting stronger.

Too soon to tell what the P-type will be. It could be all rain, all snow or a bit of everything. Also, long range forecasts are not completely reliable, but it does look like things will change by the end of the month.

R2B
Old 02-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #27
eillac@dow

Default My thing is...

If we are going to get snow....well let it snow and bring it on! I love when I hear we are going to get a foot or so! So Tuesday night, all hell is breaking loose, cuz we got this GREAT BIG STORM coming. South of Boston is going to get hit real hard. Well I live south of Boston, where the storm was going to hit hard...and got maybe 2 inches! And where I work, Lakeville, Mass was to get about 12-14....lets say that maybe 4-5 fell (and I am feeling generous!).

I like snow, don't get me wrong, but this 1-2 inch thing just does not cut it. If we have snow, I want alot!

Funny....schools, towns, BOSTON was closed cause of the big storm. What a disaster. Imagine the cost!

Ok, so what is the long range forecast? Heading to Waterville next weekend for a hockey tournament!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #28
hilltopper

Default This Winter STINKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Dallas area received over 9 inches of snow yesterday. Just one problem - we don't have snowplows down here.
There's now more snow on the ground in Dallas than there is in Meredith.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #29
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
We have your snow down here in Maryland. Please come and get it!
I drove through on Thursday. You have enough to cover the whole country. I've never seen so much snow.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #30
corollaman

It looks like you snow lovers are finally gonna get your wish on Tuesday.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #31
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
I drove through on Thursday. You have enough to cover the whole country. I've never seen so much snow.
If you think that's a lot of snow, you should have been up here in New Hampshire LAST winter!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #32
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
If you think that's a lot of snow, you should have been up here in New Hampshire LAST winter!
I was. I'm there every February for the fishing derby. You're right, there was a lot then. I'm so dissapointed with the snow this year up there. I have snow in my yard here in NC right now!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #33
Bear Island South

Default Snow in MA

FINALLY some snow.
It is starting to snow heavy here in Southborough, 3 inches on the ground, they are calling for it to continue over the next 6 hours.
What is the forecast for the lakes region? are they getting any of this? I don't see any on the webcams.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #34
fatlazyless

Waterville Valley is getting a couple very light flurries. Snowing like this from now till April, would add up to about two inches total.

The WMUR website shows 186 school closings or delays in New Hampshire today, including Belmont, Gilford, Laconia adult ed, Lakes Region Community College night classes, Sanbornton, Tilton, and Winnisquam in the lakes region, so it's safe to say this has been a more southern NH snow storm so far.

It doesn't make all that much difference one way or the other since all the school employees probably get paid either way, open or closed. Probably not true for the school bus drivers though as that is an hourly-wage type of job as opposed to a teaching professional.

Hey, at least the WV ski area does not get closed due to snow, but one never knows?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #35
Merrymeeting

We skiied Cannon today. A few flurries on and off during the day, but nothing of note. We could see the northern edge of the storm and blue skies beyond for most of the day.

But the right home was interesting. By the time we reached Tilton, it was snowing at a good clip and we saw many, many cars spun off the road, including several that had gone well off the highway and into the trees.

It continued this way until just below Manchester when the roads became more clear. I think this was only because the towns down there had been working on the roads for longer.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #36
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

It doesn't make all that much difference one way or the other since all the school employees probably get paid either way, open or closed. Probably not true for the school bus drivers though as that is an hourly-wage type of job as opposed to a teaching professional.
FLL, Teachers are contracted a certain number of days. A day off today means an added day at the end of the year. Some of us, me included, would rather do the day now rather than at the end of June. A bus driver, if hourly, would make the money up in June as they'd be required to work then to get the kids to and from school.

There's your edumacation for the day, free of charge of course.

So anyone want to tell us the snow totals for the lakes region?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #37
wadden

Question How much snow?

Yes, someone please tell us how much snow fell in the Moultonborough/Center Harbor area? Thanks.
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #38
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadden View Post
Yes, someone please tell us how much snow fell in the Moultonborough/Center Harbor area? Thanks.
You can always check the snowfall link. http://forecast.weather.gov/product....YX&product=PNS In Moultonborough, 3-4". The snowmobiles are already back out on the lake after a three week break.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #39
fatlazyless

How much snow in Meredith? Do I head down there and fire up the snow-blower or stay here in Waterville and go cross-country skiing through last night's less-than-massive ONE INCH of newly fallen, light & fluffy snow.

www.noaa.gov shows 03215 as getting up to 38-degrees today, skies mostly cloudy-sunny-cloudy, and the main chairlift has lots of empty seats.....for sixty seven dollars nobody can afford skiing anymore.....and everyone heads to the XC- 2.8 mile, no fee zone up by the Depot Camp p-lot on the north side of town....off in the woods of the White Mountain National Forest....

This week is Massachusetts public school vacation week. Next week is New Hampshire public school vacation week, and the following week is English-speaking Canada's public school vacation week. Don't know about French speaking Canada as in Quibec?

I see empty chair, after empty chair, after empty chair.......like where are all the skiers-sno-boarders....this is the middle of vacation week, and it snowed in Boston yesterday. In the old days, WV would be totally mobbed, but not this year.....it's pretty quiet.

Maybe everyone is staying put, back home, and doing their virtual skiing on the wii, whatever the heck that is?
According to the scroll at the bottom of the Weather Channel, Meredith got 5.7" of snow, Laconia got 6.2", Rochester got 9.6", & Portsmouth got 10.2".

As already said, Waterville Valley got about one inch of light & fluffy snow, not really enough to clean it off the car unless you are a snow-neat freak. Just turn on the wipers & drive....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-17-2010 at 10:13 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #40
Island-Ho

Default Snow on Ice?

Does anyone have an up close and personal report on the quantity of new snow on the ice and is it blowing around today? So much for skating and blo carting to the island this weekend.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #41
hilltopper

That 5.7" taht Meredith supposedly got must be at the south end of town becuase at the north end of town I'm measuring 3.5" to 4".
Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #42
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
You can always check the snowfall link. http://forecast.weather.gov/product....YX&product=PNS In Moultonborough, 3-4". The snowmobiles are already back out on the lake after a three week break.
I'm loading the sled up and heading back!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #43
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
I'm loading the sled up and heading back!
Posted this in the Snowmobiling thread...

I drove by Meredith Bay a half hour ago. Tuesday's new snow is now all slush and standing water. Other areas of the lake might have better conditions, but the riding on Meredith Bay this evening would have been ugly.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #44
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
It is starting to look like this blocking pattern is going to change, BUT it will not happen for another ten days or so. The storms are now being driven well south of the New England area, but around Feb 23rd, it is looking like a prolonged period of stormy weather. Until then, we will see a lot of sun with slightly below normal temps. The sun is becoming higher each day and getting stronger.

Too soon to tell what the P-type will be. It could be all rain, all snow or a bit of everything. Also, long range forecasts are not completely reliable, but it does look like things will change by the end of the month.
Well, the weather pattern is changing as I thought it would when I posted this on this thread on Feb 12th. It still looks to me like a mix of everything from Tuesday into Saturday, with a moderate snow event for Wednesday afternoon into Thursday. Still too early to say how much snow, but it looks like 6"+, with a chance for more.

It still looks like a prolonged period of stormy weather, but it will vary from showers to storms, with two or possibly three pulses of moderate precipitation. Temps will also vary and the overall temperature will be at or above normal.

Too little, too late for many of us. The sun is getting stronger each day and when this period of storminess ends, we will really feel the heat of the sun during the midday.

R2B
Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #45
corollaman

Angry

What is up with this? It hasn't snowed all winter, then we get a weeklong pattern of snow? That will get old really fast, snow every day this week. I can't wait for winter to be over.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #46
Janet

Default What is the deal?!

We're expecting up to 6 inches of snow in the Dallas area tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #47
fpartri497

Default snow

NH 6-12 " tues.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #48
SIKSUKR

Default Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
NH 6-12 " tues.
Bring it on. It's been a low snow year and most of us would love more. Probably not the place to live if your a snow hater.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #49
Janet

Default Is it spring?!

Ok, I know you all are enjoying warm weather and soon to come ice-out but...we had 5 inches of heavy wet snow in the Dallas/Ft Worth area last night. Even had a drift against my front window. What state do I live in??!!