Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
jetskier

Post Glaze Ice

It is glaze ice out there...the roads are trecherous. Be careful!

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
RLW

Is it still???
Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
bigdog

Default Glaze Ice

I was up in Gilford area today around 12pm, saw a pickup rolled over on it' s roof on Rt 11 in front of Laconia Airport, a few hundred yards down from Patricks Pub. Two abulances on the scene, no sign of driver?

Also on the back way out of Gilford on Rt 11-B (Intervale Rd), and saw a
mini-van in a ditch off the road, near Dave's Motorboat Shop. Van lights were on, but no sign of driver. No police or Fire on the scene, thought that was strange!

I suspect ice, snow and the very high-winds may have casued both accidents. Glad I was in my SUV and not my little Honda Civic today !

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Two in Alton

There were two accidents in Alton today. One involved my sister in law on rte 28 in Alton by the scenic view near Chestnut Cove Rd. Snow was blowing across the road, Blazer downshifted going up the hill, the back end broke loose, and she went into the ditch under the scenic view (big rock cliff.) Her car nosed over, crushing the front of the roof down almost onto the steering wheel. Bad news, car is totalled. Good news is that once the passerbys established she was ok, they cut her seatbelt so she could get out of the car and she walked away. Yes, thank goodness for the seatbelt, and even better, she is just barely over 5 feet tall; any taller and I would not be joking.
Second accident was at the Alton circle. Lady heading south on 28 enroute from Wolfeboro to Keene, and as she got on the rtes 28/11 common area on the south side of the circle, her windshield cracked and then the back end spun out on her, and she ended up down in the ditch in the circle. My nephew and I had gone to get a screwdriver to get the license plates off his mom's blazer, and when we got back to where the car was, this woman's van had just been dropped off. She had a friend on her way from Tuftonboro to pick her up, but there was no where for her to wait that was out of the cold, so my wife and I waited in the parking lot with her in our car until her friend showed up.

We spent the better part of the morning and early afternoon consoling two accident victims, but the best part was they both walked away with no injuries. Not a bad day afterall.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Belmont Rt 106

Monday, during that quick snow storm, the boss and I were on our way back from Concord, traveling on 106 in Belmont. An older gentleman heading south had spun out, crossed the center line and ended up in the ditch. He barely missed a telephone pole.

He had no cell phone, and had been sitting in the mini SUV just hoping someone would stop. We did, and were able to get him out of the ditch. He had his front wheels so severely turned he was digging a hole trying to back out.

Thing that bothered me most was that nobody, before us, had stopped to help him. When we had to "wave people to a stop" on 106 so he could back out onto the road all we got was dirty looks for having slowed them down.

Once we got his wheels straightened out he was able to get back to the road.

I'll never understand why people don't stop to try to help.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
I'll never understand why people don't stop to try to help.
It never ceases to amaze me how many folks just don't exercise common courtesy anymore. Thankfully you and the boss came along to help that man!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
We spent the better part of the morning and early afternoon consoling two accident victims, but the best part was they both walked away with no injuries. Not a bad day afterall.
And another example of simple common human courtesy. Thanks Up and Steve!!!