Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
BlackCatIslander

Default Question from a new GPS owner

I received a new Garmin GPSMAP 172C color GPS chartplotter for my 248LS Monterey bowrider as a Christmas gift. Does Garmin have a chip for the Lake. I know that Bizer has been working on one and may have it ready this spring. What have other Garmin owners used?
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
NightWing

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatIslander
I received a new Garmin GPSMAP 172C color GPS chartplotter for my 248LS Monterey bowrider as a Christmas gift. Does Garmin have a chip for the Lake. I know that Bizer has been working on one and may have it ready this spring. What have other Garmin owners used?
Read my posts #4+5

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...5660#post35660
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatIslander
Here's a link to Bizer's site, and he has a link for Garmin users.

http://www.bizer.com/
Old 12-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
BlackCatIslander

Default Thanks

Thanks to Nightwing and to Upthesaukee for the prompt response to my question. That is what makes this site so great.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
NHskier

Default Bizer on Garmin - coming soon!

Bizer has just updated his Garmin page: http://bizer.com/garmin

"At last Bizer has something that can be displayed on a Garmin, handheld GPS. The chart is not complete by any means, but just getting something was a large accomplishment on Bizer’s part. Bizer was unable to complete the Garmin project for 2007. So, for 2007, we're offering version G1 of Bizer's Garmin file."

See the website for details.

As a new boater, adding a chartplotter/gps unit would be very helpful in learning my way around. (Of course always with a paper chart, too.) Being able to go with a Garmin unit that can also be used in the car or motorcycle is very attractive. The 276c unit shown in the website photos looks like a great setup in combo with the auto kit.

NHskier
NHskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
John E

Si if I am going to buy a portable Garmin, can someone make a recommendation as to which one?
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
NHskier

Default Garmin units

Since the 276C is mentioned on Bizer's Garmin page and since there are several screen shots using a 276C, I'm assuming that will be one of the units supported. Given the comments on Garmin using different media types, I expect the list of supported units will be limited.

After seeing the upcoming availability of Bizer's chart for Garmin, I poked around a few websites last weekend looking at reviews on the 276C, as I like having the ability to use it in the boat or car or motorcycle. The vast majority of reviews & comments I saw were positive. Looks to be a solid unit, screen well visible even in direct sunlight, good battery life.

So as long as the 276C is one of the supported units I'll probably go with that. Good pricing is running about $500, plus $200 for the auto kit. But I'm holding off buying until I know for sure that it'll be supported by Bizer, and want to have the chance to compare the different units.

NHskier
NHskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
KBoater

Default Garmin

In March Garmin releases new models. The left stock of old model may be on sale.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
John SC

Garmin has great toys, but they really won't help you on the Lake right now. From what I can see, Garmin is now to the stage where the maps identify the islands by name. No bouys, shoals, etc..
I don't know all brands, but I know Lowrance is well supported, and the graphics for the Lake include depth, marinas, etc.
The Garmin Car/Boat GPS seems great, and I don't know of any other brand that was clever enough to think of it. The down side is for the Lake Winnipesaukee area, you'll probably only use it in the car for at least this year. The Lake Maps are running about a year late for Garmin. I wouldn't bet my GPS purchase that it will be out in time for me to use it in 2007.
But that is just me.
Great Site! Good luck to all on the Fishing Derby Weekend!
John SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
Chris Craft

Do the new color ones work better out in the light?
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote