Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
Rocky

Default Marina info

I am looking for a marina on the lake, my options right now would be west alton or shep browns boat basin. Iam new here and any info would help.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
Mink Islander

Default Could you be more specific?

What services are you looking for and for what size/type boat?
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
codeman671

What part of the lake do you wish to leave from? Where are you coming from? Where do you like to "hang out"? Things like traffic patterns in specific areas both on land and on the lake should be looked at as well. For us coming from the Dover area we like to be in Gilford as it is a quick drive, no traffic issues to deal with. We typically boat in the Gilford, Meredith and Alton area so it makes sense.

If you like Moultonboro or areas on that side of the lake I would point you that way.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
Rocky

I will be mostly from cow island to alton. I would be coming up from derry rte.28. The boat is a 25' whaler.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Dave R

Alternatively, you could choose a place that minimizes car time and maximizes boat time. We typically boat up around Center Harbor but Alton Bay is the closest Winni comes to our house so that's where we start and end every day trip. I'd much rather bookend each day with a half hour of boating instead of an extra half hour of driving... The trip from Alton Bay to Center Harbor in the morning is generally peaceful and quiet. The trip from Center Harbor to Alton Bay at night is just glorious.

I have heard nothing bad about WAM except for their high pricing and their practice of discriminating against folks with older boats (that's a big turnoff to me). Otherwise, it seems like really nice place to keep a boat. One great thing about WAM is that wakes and waves should be a non-issue. Can't say that about Shep Brown's. I've been bounced around pretty good trying to gas up there...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
codeman671

The waves/weather can be somewhat unpredictable so I would go for a closer marina to your destination is possible. As much as I like the boat ride being long it is no fun in the pouring rain or windy conditions. We have a relatively quick ride from GYC to Mark Island but still it can get sloppy. If we left from WAM there are many times when we would get tossed around.

If you do not reside on the islands and are only going out in good weather then it should be no concern, in that case enjoy the boat ride as Dave R said.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Parker Marine

Coming from where you are and given your destinations, have you considered Parker ? I'll guess that with a 25' Whaler the low bridge might be a show stopper but in case it isn't and you haven't heard of them, I'm mentioning them. A link to a prior discussion on the place .... http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3804

FWIW - the traffic into and out of Meredith during the summer can be brutally slow. That's 1 strike against Shep's.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Rocky

Parker is out, we we are 8'8" high and I know the bridge is only 5'. I think we will stay at Shep's for now, they have been really good to me. I had a chance to move to WAM but I think I will stay here for now.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
Silver Duck

I've had a cruiser at Shep's for 5 years, and am very happy there. Yes, it can get a bit bouncy there on a weekend afternoon, but I'll happily keep that and the clean water at Shep's as opposed to the way the water at some marinas gets during the late season.

Other high points about Shep's are the staff and service department, the view from the cruiser dock, and the location (go right and it's an easy shot "inside" to the Weirs, go out around Bear and you're in wide open water).

Maybe I just get lucky, but I don't find the Meredith traffic all that bad; from the end of Pleasant St. to Hart's is rarely more than a few minutes!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:34 PM   #10
jrc

Assuming that you're staying on Cow, be careful about chosing a marina that forces you to cross the broads. A windy day can make it interesting out there. A 25' Whaler won't sink but it can still make for a rough ride. Have you considered Quayside, Harilla or something in Wolfeboro?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
Rocky

Smile

Wolfeboro would be nice, thats where my kids live but I don't think I could find a place there, CYC and Goodhues are booked up and Back bay won't work. I think we will stay here for now, I guess I was thinking maybe it would be nicer to have a shorter commute here and go to WAM but I think this will be home for a while. Thanks for the input!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #12
Dave R

If I had a 25 foot Whaler, I'd make it a point to go out in the broads on windy days... Nice rough-weather boat you got there. My parents had a 27 foot Grady White for awhile and we go out in the broads on the windiest of days just for kicks. Over-built boats are awesome.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote