Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
joann721

Default Bow Rider VS. Pontoon Boat

I am throwing this question out to the only experts I know who arent trying to sell me something. We currently have a 19 ft 2002 Crownline Bowrider. (that the folks at Channel told us was a great lake boat- yeah when nobody else is out there... maybe) We love being out on the lake but are tired of getting beat up in the 19 ft. My question: We can not afford the money they are charging for a 24- 26 ft bowrider... so we are "considering" , actually I am considering, "HE" is not even discussing. The possibility of a 24 ft pontoon boat... How do they handle the chop on the lake- can you trailer them... pros and cons... educate me.... we are not out on the lake for speed we never go more than 28 - 30 in the bowrider... but after this weekend and about 45 tylenols I have had it with the 19 ft bowrider... so I am throwing this out to the forum and looking for some advise on what you would suggest..
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
William_Philipp

I am not really experienced on Winni, nor on a pontoon, but here is my opinion. When I was on my friends pontoon it has a very smooth ride (hurricane make) but no real power, but its a pontoon. I don't know how severe the chop is on Winni but I would say that you will get tossed around still pretty good on a pontoon as you would on a bowrider. My opinion I would like to have a pontoon, as much as a bowrider.
William_Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
NightWing

Yes, a 19' bowrider is great...............Monday through Thursday as long as there isn't chop from wind. I have had one bowrider, a 21' Sea Ray that was a fairly heavy boat. Still, a bowrider is a bowrider and, under certain conditions, you are riding in a huge tablespoon that will scoop up the lake anytime water is over the bow. My next boat was a 25' Sea Ray mid cabin that was dry inside but there were still times when driving it was a rough ride. Hitting an 8 or 10 foot roller the wrong way isn't pleasant. On to pontoons................

I can't advise you, having never owned or ridden in (on?) one. But, I have seen a 'toon stand on its nose enough to pull the prop clear of the water. Windy day, almost too rough for boating. Rental unit with about a dozen people on board. Everybody wanted to sit up front. The wind caught the canvas from the rear. Guess what happened. Lots of scared people almost went in the lake.

Maybe an extreme condition in an unbalanced boat operated by a non boater. I do know that some pontoon boats will have water slosh over the deck even though the boat is fairly stable and the tubes are cutting through the water quite well. I guess that getting your feet wet is part of the equation of boating fun.

Your thoughts of a pontoon boat have merit and it could be a good choice for your family. I would suggest taking test rides in as many brands as you can. I would also rent one for a day and drive it like you would your own. Pick the type of day for your test outing like you would normally go out in. That way you will probably find out what you like and don't like about that particular brand.

Good luck and good boating!
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Dave R

A thought: You have a high quality used boat now, why not shop for a 1998 and newer, well-maintained, high-quality, and bigger used boat? There are some nice cream puffs out there if you shop around. Going up just two or three feet will make a huge difference, especially if you get a heavy boat (thinking Cobalt...). I think it would fare far better in chop than a 'toon. I don't know anyone that regretted buying a Cobalt.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default A tale of two boats...

My dive buddy Ray had a Four Winds 20’bow rider which pounded so hard in any kind of chop that I thought it was going to pound me to death. Then Ray trades up to a 24’ Winds and says, “this boat will run like the wind and ride a smooth as a baby’s bottom”. Well after the first ride to the other side of the lake in a 2’ chop I said, “I fail to see where the word pleasure and this boat go together”.

Dive buddy Paul on the other hand, buys a new 20’ pontoon boat about the same time frame that actually rode pretty good… That was until we put five divers on board with all our wet gear up front and hit a wake of a huge Carver. The wave swamped us and the boat stood on it nose… We were heading for the bottom, then buoyancy took over we broach the surface like aTrident submarine. Yee Ha, what a ride… while we were retrieving our gear that was washed overboard the MP that just happen be passing by, said it was the best show he’d seen in a long time and want to know how he could help.

Diver Paul went back to the outfit where he bough the boat and told them about our fun day on the lake. They suggested that if was going to continue to haul such a heavy load (I guess that meant me) he needed a third “toon”. Once it was installed it made all the difference, it was very stable and rode like a dream and was our favorite ride to the dive sites and just all around party boat. I liked that boat … but not enough to give up my sailboat.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
dan

Default own both

Went from a 23ft Sea Ray CC to a 25ft pontoon boat when the Sea Ray would no longer leagally carry the kids and grandchildren. I powered it with a 225 hp Honda so that I could pull waterskiers and get from one end of the lake to the other without having to stay overnight at some halfway point. I have been caught out once in a bad storm and had to head south to go north. There were four adults on board and while it was an interesting trip, that I would just as soon not repeat, I never felt like I would lose control of the boat. I stuffed the nose into the Sophie C,s wake once and cooled everyone on board off, but that was my fault. I have never had water run through the boat other than that time. The ride is terrific, but slow speed handling in wind or wave action, when docking can be a handful. For that reason I bought a 20ft bow rider to use when just the wife and I want to go out. I would compare the pontoon to a stretch limo and the bow rider ( with front cover in place) to a sports car. Each has it's place. Trailering the pontoon, because of the trailer design and I have used both types, can be uncomfortable for people not used to having something behind them.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
codeman671

I have a 22' bowrider, a 32' bowrider and a 24' pontoon. I honestly enjoy my toona and drive it probably more often than the other boats. It is a 24' Suntracker with a 90hp, I find that it handles quite well. The real key to a pontoon on Winni is getting a long one with large tube diameter. A 20 footer or so is simply too small, I just traded my older 20' in for the longer 24' with the larger tube size. The tritoons are great, especially the new Manitou with the large center tube and the smaller side tubes. This makes the boat actually lean and steer more like a traditional hull. Bill at Glendale marine just picked up the line and is very excited to sell them. JD Powers basically calls them the caddy of pontoons. I had a 22' manitou tritoon with a 115 opti previously, 37mph and very stable.

As far as trailering goes there are two types of trailers, dual bunk or ladder style. The ladder style can be tricky to maneuver in off-road conditions, I have my boat up on one side and almost flipped over before during a turn off a shoulder to avoid an accident. The dual (or triple depending) bunk style trailer like a regular boat. Even a large pontoon is very light to trailer and can be hauled with even a small suv.

I think that a 19' bowrider is definitely too small and personally would feel safer in a 24' or larger pontoon. Agreed in a heavy wind they can be a bit more of a chore to dock but since you can walk the entire deck area you have access to multiple tie-up points and can move around quickly in a tough situation.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #8
Kevin C

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721
I am throwing this question out to the only experts I know who arent trying to sell me something. We currently have a 19 ft 2002 Crownline Bowrider. (that the folks at Channel told us was a great lake boat- yeah when nobody else is out there... maybe) We love being out on the lake but are tired of getting beat up in the 19 ft. My question: We can not afford the money they are charging for a 24- 26 ft bowrider... so we are "considering" , actually I am considering, "HE" is not even discussing. The possibility of a 24 ft pontoon boat... How do they handle the chop on the lake- can you trailer them... pros and cons... educate me.... we are not out on the lake for speed we never go more than 28 - 30 in the bowrider... but after this weekend and about 45 tylenols I have had it with the 19 ft bowrider... so I am throwing this out to the forum and looking for some advise on what you would suggest..
We got back into boating over the last 5 yrs and went from a 20ft Maxum Bowridert o a 24 ft Maxum Bowrider (my 2000).....all the difference in the world. We were tired of getting hammered weekends on the lake with the old 20 footer. We find the 24 ft Maxum fantastic out in the chop on weekends and with the high freeboard on the bow we have never yet put it under in chop. Last year we used it over 100 hours without a comfort problem. There is nothing I would change on this boat comfort-wise.

I have zero experience on pontoon boats but would like to consider pontoons in the future but question their performance when it gets rough.

I noticed that Channel has some low hour 24 ft bowriderss used at relatively reasonable prices. Perhaps a trade is in order? They are all listed on their website. Good luck.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #9
Lake Lady 6

Default Bow Rider vs Pontoon Boat

I agree with those who state that a 19' bowrider is not a good choice to be out on the lake on a weekend. Having said that we spent many weekends way back with a 15' bowrider with 4 passengers - enjoyed most of it except in very rough weather. There were fewer boats on the lake and no high performance boats racing up and down the lake either.

In the early '90's husband bought a 28' pontoon boat and I was not happy about the choice until I had my first ride. It gives a smooth ride, lots of room to move about, great storage space, can handle all the grandchilren and adults and especially nice when you want to anchor and picnic or whatever. We have pulled the kids on tubes, etc., with no problem. That said we prefer to cruise and enjoy the beauty of the lake, not go wide open up and down the lake all day long. It has an inboard motor and does not eat up gas. Young children enjoy it as they can move about and not be confined to a seat. We also have a bowrider but prefer the pontoon for more than the two of us.

Cannot speak to the trailering question as we have never done any - have seen pontoon boats being trailered though.

Thurston's Marina has an excellent pontoon boat and I am sure there are many other dealers. Good Luck.
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #10
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

I had to really fight my wife to get her into a pontoon.... now she loves it.. and does most of the driving...

We have a 20' -Smoker Craft... wish I had gone to the 22 or 24.. We have had our share of "foot baths" when you get into chop or a big wake... so you need to choose the days.. or the time of day you go out..

Overall we love our toon... much better the the 20' Regal we had for years....

I have mine stored.. so I can't help with the trailer question

Maybe you ought to consider renting a toon for a day... Jay's Marine on Winnisquam rents them (at least he used to)

Happy Boating
Old 08-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

Default How about a go fast party boat?

I was on my friends 27 ft tritoon this weekend and this thing handled the big water just fine.I was a little surprized actually.Having had a 20 ft pontoon boat while growing up on a small sth NH lake,I didn't think they would be very good on Winni.Just as Codeman did,I was talking to Bill at Glendale about his new line of pontoon boats.He told me he has a 24 ft with a 300 hp motor in it.I went to look at it and the motor is a i/o.He says the boat will do 60 mph!!Holy cow!Price tag:$48,000
Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #12
Tir Na Nog

Default Another Option

I have a Regal 20 foot deck boat. I had looked at a lot of boat styles at boat shows and dealers before I bought this about 9 years ago. I was worried about a pontoons ability to handle Winni, but liked the space. For me the deck boat was a great way to get the benefit of the space of a pontoon, while getting the durability of a fiber glass boat and the ride of a V hull. The deck sits relatively high on the boat so you do not get the same spray problems of a bow rider. I have been caught out on the lake a couple of times in some very heavy chop without too much of a problem, although I did take it slow those times. I would not go with some of the deck boats I have seen, those with a fairly flat entry into the water. Seeing them run, they seem to be about the same as a poontoon, but probably a higher price tag. I have a brother who runs a charter fishing boat out of Plymouth, MA and a lot of sea experience and he is always pleasantly surprised with the handling of my boat even in rough water. Of course, if you try to go flying through rough water you can get a bit of a pounding, but I still think it is better than similar sized bow riders.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Here is the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
so you need to choose the days.. or the time of day you go out..
....and location of the lake

This quote hit the nail on the head. Any boat is fine for the lake.... No I don't suggest you take a 19' boat and try and spend the day around the Wiers. But I have never had an issue with my boats and I just moved up to a 19'..... But when the water is rough and busy I stay away from the big open areas. Also you need to find the sweet spot for speed, trim, and comfort for your boat. This weekend I went out 4 times.... kept the boat at 25 mph....and with the right trim, and occasionally slow down for the really big wakes.... was all over the lake......
Old 08-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
joann721

Default Thank you..

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to answer my posting. I have printed them all and will be sharing them with my husband this evening... I knew you wouldnt let me down- your experience and insight are very much appreciated. It is wonderful to have a resource like this available. My thoughts, at this moment, is a good, used, bigger boat- but you have given us the tools to make a more informed decision. Keep the advise coming !! Thanks again... even though we got the stuffin kicked out of us last weekend we are counting the days to do it again.... Can a lake be addictive .... ?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #15
joann721

Default liforrelaxin

Any insight on adjusting the trim... I know my husband struggles with the right way to do this and when.. he is convinced that some of our problem is user error... but i'm not convinced... and I think you are correct that area selection is key... but it seems we always want to go where we shouldnt .. We have been on the lake for 4 summers now and he has struggled with the whole issue of the correct positioning of the trim... if you have a few minutes could you tell me what you do..
Old 08-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #16
NightWing

If the boat has trim tabs a good way to start is have the outdrive tucked under, all the way down. Open the throttle to your cruising speed, then lift the trim tabs until the bow rises and the boat is on plane. No more tab trimming is useful after that point. Now, look at your tach. Start to trim the outdrive up and you will see a rise in RPM. The speedometer will probably go up a little too. Usually the drive will be trimmed between the first mark and the halfway mark on the trim gauge. Don't raise so far that the prop cuts the water. That is WAY too much. You should be able to tell by the way the boat handles and the way the engine sounds.

This idea is based on trimming the hull first and then trimming the drive. A boat without trim tabs is done almost the same way. Start with the drive tucked under and then throttle up to your cruising speed. Then trim the drive up a little and you will feel the hull rise and the engine speed pick up a little. Not rocket science, just a little practice. Get into the habit of tucking under and dropping the tabs down whenever you slow way down or stop. That way, you won't go bow high when you get back on the throttle.

The only other thing I will mention is that boat speed needs to be fast enough to plane the hull, or trimming will not be effective. Getting the boat up "on the step" properly is speed related.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default NightWing has it covered

Well I saw Joann question as I was leaving work.....shush don't let my boss know I sneek a look every now and again at the website to help me relax between assignments.... Thought about it all the way home.... and Nightwing covered it for me.... about the only thing I will add is that depending on your speed the proper trim point for you outdrive may change....but to me its all about feel when up on plane I feel the boat being slugish and plowing in the turns I know I am not trimed right....likewise if the boat feels loose and unstable, I have gone to far.....the big error I see most people make that leads to the rough pounding rides is that they trim down to much....the boat wants to bounce that is how it reacts to the waves.... trim down to much and your forcing the boat into the water....so as nightwing said trim out and look for that bow to rise how much of a rise depends on you and your boat....but to much rise will lead to instability.... Just get out there and play with it on a calm day when you have plenty of time and feel it out.....start with the drive in and then trim it out slowly and pay attention to how it changes....

I have a new boat this year and I am still figuring it out... but my Dad always tought me to try things out and mess with the settings... so when I don't have guests that is what I do... go out in the morning play with the trim.... throw a bumper overboard and approach it from differant angles bring the boat up along side it with out hitting it(slow speed manuevering)..... It may look and sound stupid but it helps me understand my boat and how it reacts.............alright enough rambling...although in another thread it would be interesting to see what other people do to get comfortable handling a new boat......
Old 08-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #18
Dave R

You got some excellent advice regarding trimming for best efficiency but I ssupect you may be asking about proper trimming for rough conditions. In rough seas, efficiency and speed take a back seat to comfort. You'll want to run with the drive tucked all the way in (down) in rough seas and go more slowly. Keeping the drive down keeps more of the hull in the water and lets the finer entry (sharper angle) of the bow split the waves before they get under the flatter sections of hull, where the waves would make the boat pound. Your MPG will suffer dramatically in this state of trim though. Trimming down also lets the boat stay on plane at lower speeds. Trim tabs can make a huge difference in comfort on a shortish and wide deep V hull (like you have) They allow even slower cruising while on plane. They would cost a whole lot less than another boat and may be worth a look.

Here's a great article on trim etc.: http://www.jerrylabella.com/on_the_level.htm
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #19
discoduck

Exclamation pontoon vs.bow rider

I have owned both and now own a 22' stingray "deckboat" which is a bow rider with a front ladder and step and holds just as many people... Winni is no place for a pontoon on the weekends. My 24'er was beat to heck and submarined on many occasions. Tri-toons would handle better but still....stick to a v hull on winni on the weekends...period. Trust me...
discoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:21 PM   #20
CEP

Default Joann721

When I do make it to the lake I rent a pontoon boat from Thurstons Marina.
I truly love those things and if I was to purchase a boat a pontoon boat would be my choice.
However, may I suggest that if you are thinking of purchasing a pontoon, go to Thurston's or Anchor Marine at the Weirs and rent one for the day. Try it out, take the family for a day on a pontoon and see how you like it! I know you will!!!
People I have taken for a ride have all said, "Wow! It's like sitting in your living room with a 360 degree view"

They can be trailered and the options available are many. Some have everything from a sink to head. Course the more options the higher in price!

Tracker even puts out a party barge with a small cabin. Good for changing bathing suits and it has a small kitchen and head (bathroom) that is always good to have around!!! Especially when someone sez," I got to do No.2!!!"
hahahahaha

Have fun! Wish I was there!!

CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #21
John A. Birdsall

Default poontoons

My dad has a 24' pincrest I think its called, and we are amazed at how many pontoon boats are on the lake. We have seen some really overloaded so that the deck is just about if not in the water. (Marine Patrol would have loved that) but I think the trick is to have the bigger (diameter) pontoons. We have been out in choppy water and sometimes the people on the bow get a tad bit wet. But for the most part its a good ride. Dad has a 75 hp Merc on his 24' and it goes fast enough to pull two people on ski's while having enought people on board.

But you know what? I wish I still had my 11' runabout "puddytat" It went out in all kinds of weather, and went places that your 24' pontoon boat or bowrider would not even think of going.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #22
Airwaves

At the lake we have a 21' Cobalt bowrider, big and heavy enough to handle weekends on Winni. At the boatclub I belong to we have a large percentage of pontoon boats and I have had the pleasure of being on a few. I would not take a pontoon onto Winni on weekends.

As a matter of fact I have a relative who is confined to a wheelchair, and while a pontoon would be perfect for getting him on the water, there is no way I would consider it safe. (severly handicapped) I had considered a deck boat which I consider a hybrid between the room of a pontoon and the durability and stability of a bowrider, but I haven't found one with the room in the bow to handle a wheelchair.

A Holiday Mansion would be too big!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #23
wildwoodfam

Default Pontoon ride put a "damper" on dinner....

I have never had problems on Winni with our 18, and 19 foot bowriders....of course bigger is not always better generally speaking - a heavy bowrider at 19 feet will handle better than a lighter 22' bowrider, etc...

My experience with pontoons on Winni have always been WET EXPERIENCES...could be a beauty of a sunny day - hit a bad wake or enter the broads and have the wind hit you broadside and watch out for the spray!! My family was invited to dinner one time and we decided to take two boats - our 19 foot bowrider and the other families 24 foot pontoon. The lake was choppy - but not a bad chop where I would not go out in the boat. Occassional white-caps - but not a constant banging....

We arrived at the Wolfeboro docks and wiated for our other family to arrive (obviously the bowrider was a faster ride)....we waited and waited and waited and finally called the cottage on a hunch. Sure enough the person who answered said "We are on our way - we had to dry off and put on dry clothes." "We'll drive over land and meet you at the restaurant." Seems they got just around the island and a nice wake came up and drenched all on board.

I have been on pontoons on smaller lakes and on dead clam nights on Winni and it was lovely - but for efficient boating - I would go with a bowrider everytime!

My Two Cents....thats all it is.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #24
Orion

Post there are pontoons of all types

I've owned many types of boats in my lifetime and I see that pontoons are getting somewhat of a bum rap by grouping them all together. Yes many pontoons do not handle rough water as good as others. Most older pontoons had smaller diameter logs and were lower in the water. Also most were underpowered and never got "on plane". Newer pontoons, especially tri-toons handle much larger loads, horsepower and speed and you can drive around in smooth comfort and not get wet (except when its very choppy and windy). I have a 25-foot tri-toon (Bennington--great!). Poeple are always amazed when approaching large wakes and always flinch, only to slice through them without any noticeable boat movement. I would recommend getting one with three 25-inch diameter pontoons for max "lift" (floatation) to be able to handle the rougher water. You also want to watch your loading as most people like to sit up front, but if it's rough, you'll want to distribute more weight aft to avoid waves over the front deck. Don't under-power it. Get at least 100hp to get it on plane and be able to cruise without constant wide-open-throttle (I'm running with 130 hp).

There are also available canvas "cabin" enclosures that can be put up in cooler, wetter weather and are recommended in Spring and Fall because pontoons don't have windshields for the passengers.

I also have a smaller bowrider that I use for "shuttle" duty to/from the island with just the two of us, but I always pick up my guests in style in the pontoon. The pontoon makes a perfect cruising boat and we NEVER get any pounding....even when out for 4th of July fireworks!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:09 PM   #25
Airwaves

Orion:
Could you either post to the forum or PM me a pic of your pontoon?

As I mentioned my nephew can't get into the bowrider with his chair and I haven't found a deckboat that will handle it either. I'd seriously like to see what you've got and whether it might fit the bill and provide a safe ride for him on Winni on a weekend.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #26
jrc

Airwaves,

A couple years back I remember reading on this site and in a newspaper about someone installing a base for a Hoyer lift on the Glendale docks. These lifts are normally used to move immobile people from a wheel chair to a bed or bath. The person installed the lift so he could take a family member boating or to an island residence.

If you really want to go all out for your nephew, you could look into this. You would need to rent or borrow the actual lift, only the base was installed. Your nephew may already have one. Once equipped, you could but him in your bowrider.

I forgot how to search the old forum archives, but maybe you can figure it out. Or try calling the MP or Gilford PD.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:07 AM   #27
Airwaves

Thanks jrc, actually we had to rent one of those for my Dad when my Mom died (he's also in a wheelchair but his boating days are over) It's something to think about. It would almost be worth the price just to see the expression on his face as we swung him out over the water!
I'll run it past my sister and see what she thinks
AW
Old 08-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #28
JG1222

Default It's a Trade-Off

I think the best advice so far has been to look for a used, larger bowrider. But of course it depends on your type of usage. I'd say that if you spend most of your time up at Lee's Mills area, a pontoon boat may be just the thing for you. However, I'd still take the 19' bowrider (and the tylenol required to ride in it on a weekend) over a 24' pontoon.

Get a few people on a pontoon boat, and if they're not sitting in exactly the right place, you get the tidal wave rushing down the length of the boat from bow to stern, and I don't find them nearly as controllable/maneuverable in rougher conditions. My parents have a place on Lake Ossipee - now that's the perfect lake for a pontoon. However, on the big lake I'd opt for a boat with a hull over a floating swim raft with a steering wheel any day.

Last edited by JG1222; 08-26-2006 at 03:02 PM.
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #29
jceria

Default 18 Foot Pontoon

Hi

I have a 18 foot pontoon boat w/25hp that I use on occasionally on the lake.
You have to balanced the load when a rather large wake/wave approaches and find the right angle of a attack. Worse case.... you get a deck wash, pontoon boats (atleast mine) will not sink.

I love my pontoon boat! It's very comfortable and roomy.I have had several other boats on the lake up to a 33 footer.

General rule.... stay away from the Weirs on the weekends!

Jeff
Old 09-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #30
Dickie B from HB

Default How about an electric boat?

Hi all,
I've been reading all your posts regarding pontoon boats. If slow speed cruising is what you would like to do, you might want to consider an electric boat.
I live in southern California, and one of the fastest selling boats here is a Duffy Electric Boat. People use them here for cruising the inside waterways. They are comfortable, seaworthy, and luxurious.
Check them out at www.duffyboats.com.

Dick B.
Dickie B from HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #31
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Pontoon Would Be My Choice!!

I was faced with the decision back in 2002 as to what to purchase. I ended up buying a 29' Harris/Kayot Tritoon with a 200 HP Outboard. This thing is sooooooooo stable. It has seating for 18. Has a refrig, sink, vacumn, pump for toys, head/changing rm, microwave, blender, kitchen counter, cooler, and more. Very very rarely do you ever have water splashing in or the front nose diving. It's designed to not do that. Mine came with a tritoon trailer with dual axel and built in brakes. We never use the trailer and just store the boat at a local marina. I am even thinking of selling the trailer as I will never remove from this lake and would most likely sell the boat some day to someone on this lake. As for now this boat will be with us for some time. It works perfect for us. You should see the looks you get when you pull up to the sandbars with 18 people on board and get the blender going. We have had lot's of laughs. Do not listen to anyone discouraging you about a pontoon boat. Just make sure it's at least 24' and has tritoons and a 115HP or more.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:14 AM   #32
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1222
I think the best advice so far has been to look for a used, larger bowrider. But of course it depends on your type of usage. I'd say that if you spend most of your time up at Lee's Mills area, a pontoon boat may be just the thing for you. However, I'd still take the 19' bowrider (and the tylenol required to ride in it on a weekend) over a 24' pontoon.

Get a few people on a pontoon boat, and if they're not sitting in exactly the right place, you get the tidal wave rushing down the length of the boat from bow to stern, and I don't find them nearly as controllable/maneuverable in rougher conditions. My parents have a place on Lake Ossipee - now that's the perfect lake for a pontoon. However, on the big lake I'd opt for a boat with a hull over a floating swim raft with a steering wheel any day.
You've about said it there, but left out the part about dock spiders loving pontoons!

My Florida neighbor's smaller pontoon boat launched a lady guest (a non-swimmer) into the lake due to a shift of passenger weight. Fortunately, the lake was only five feet deep there, and had a firm bottom. (The lake did). Pontoons are a great lake boat in Florida, but you don't see any on the immense (and the very changeable) Lake Okeechobee!

I appreciate pontoons in my neighborhood because they produce a self-canceling, negligible, wake. The action of the water between the hulls may not be pretty, though. Raves of "smooth ride" might be different if pontoon boats had a window in the deck.

You see very few boats (mainly pontoons) on Lake Winnipesaukee with correct trim on their outboards. Too many pontoons are over-trimmed—perhaps for ride/ignorance—and likely to take a "stuff", like WD describes here.

With a bow-rider, you'll remember to replace the drainplug at the dock. It wasn't so fortunate for the pontoon boat pictured below, who managed to get into the middle of the lake before sinking!

I've always had small boats. If a mechanical problem and weather drive me against the shore, I can always hold the boat in waist-deep water and wait out the storm. (And have).

Buy the boat you can afford and know the weather. Yes, bigger is usually better, but when visibility gets down to 12-feet, it doesn't really matter.
Attached Images