Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Airwaves

Default Another guy home from a hard day at the bar

Quote:
A Massachusetts man has been charged with drunken boating after his boat was found crashed into an island on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire. (AP)
The Island was Hurricane Island, the 20' boat was found completely out of the water, no one on board. The guy was found at a camp sleeping it off.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Knomad

I heard someone reporting the beached boat to the Marine Patrol this afternoon on the VHF, but could not pick up any details. When did it happen?
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Airwaves

The AP story has a Tuftonboro dateline and said he was sleeping at a camp, it didn't say building so he may have just had a tent in the woods?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
Newbiesaukee

We were kayaking by Hurricane Island this morning about 9 am and noted three NHMP boats as well as the aforementioned boat high and dry on the island. I believe there was shelter on the island although we did not think about it at the time. It is a very small island, but possible to sleep on. Judging by the location of the boat, anyone who could drive it that far up on the island, probably wouldn't worry too much about shelter to sleep it off. At least, no one was hurt. It is the island shown above, plenty of room for a drunk and a boat. I do not believe that the island identified as Cow Island is correct. It would seem to be the east side of Long Island
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #5
Mee-n-Mac

Question Location, location, location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee
We were kayaking by Hurricane Island this morning about 9 am and noted three NHMP boats as well as the aforementioned boat high and dry on the island. {snip}
Out of curiousity, from what direction was he coming when he ran aground ? That is, where would the grounded boat be pointing on Yankee's photo ?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
Newbiesaukee

On the photo he was pointed at the small island almost due north or "11" on a clock face. He was on the SW corner of Hurricane. Hope this clarifies. If not, I will try again. As the water level is so low, he had to be traveling at an impressive speed to get up on the island.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Mee-n-Mac

Default Thx for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee
On the photo he was pointed at the small island almost due north or "11" on a clock face. He was on the SW corner of Hurricane. Hope this clarifies. If not, I will try again. As the water level is so low, he had to be traveling at an impressive speed to get up on the island.
Thanks for the info. You'd be surprised at how far a boat will travel over land at normal speeds (assuming it doesn't hit a tree ). Dad was not very happy about me seeing "Live and Let Die" when it came out. Something about all those jumping* and sliding Glastrons (same make as we had) made him uneasy whenever I took the boat out.

*About 1:10 into the trailer you can see the famous boat jumps. I couldn't find a clip of the slide into the wedding cake. Hmmm ...
Old 10-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Yes Yankee, the owners did put a small building there-maybe three years ago.
I can't imagine how that guy got through all the rocks in the water to land on the sw side of the island. Must have been real lucky.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote