Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
DBreskin

Default Looking for sailboat launch locations

Last month I bought a house in Wolfeboro and I'm bringing my 16' beach catamaran to Winnipesaukee this summer. I plan to daysail it and need to find a place to launch, preferably a short drive from Wolfeboro and with direct access to open water. I'd also like to be able to park my car and trailer for the day.

I've considered the ramp across from the Libby Museum in Winter Harbor but am concerned the relatively narrow water will make it tough to get out of the harbor.

I'm willing to launch from a beach or not-too-rocky shore if a ramp is not available. Can anyone offer a suggestion?
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Default ....Melvin Village Community Church boat launch?

That's out of my regular travels, but I believe the Melvin Village Community Church in thy Melvin Village area of Tuftonboro has a very, very nice, free public boat launch ramp down behind thy church grounds. It is close to the Melvin Village Marina and is an unpaved dirt access road with an unpaved dirt launch ramp, plus it includes a few spots for parking a car and trailer.
DBreskin (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
CateP

Default Wcyc

Try the Wolfeboro Corinthian Yacht Club. 603-569-1234.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
NoBozo

As a serious sailor, I would recommend the Libby Museum launch site. You can launch and park for the day behind the museum (Free) and I think this is the best launch site that is most accessible to the broads and the best wind. If the wind is light it may take you awhile depending on your skill.

If it's blowing when you launch..you will have good fun getting out of Winter Harbor and out to the broads. ...You may even turn back when you get to the entrance to the big lake and see those White Horses, because the broads may be a "buster". NB.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
gillygirl

Default Dirt ramp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
That's out of my regular travels, but I believe the Melvin Village Community Church in thy Melvin Village area of Tuftonboro has a very, very nice, free public boat launch ramp down behind thy church grounds. It is close to the Melvin Village Marina and is an unpaved dirt access road with an unpaved dirt launch ramp, plus it includes a few spots for parking a car and trailer.
I don't recall the ramp being dirt when we used it in 2008.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
DBreskin

Default Hoping for free access

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Try the Wolfeboro Corinthian Yacht Club. 603-569-1234.
WCYC is a good spot, but wouldn't I have to be a member? BTW, my wife and I met you at the WCYC open house a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
As a serious sailor, I would recommend the Libby Museum launch site. You can launch and park for the day behind the museum (Free) and I think this is the best launch site that is most accessible to the broads and the best wind. If the wind is light it may take you awhile depending on your skill.

If it's blowing when you launch..you will have good fun getting out of Winter Harbor and out to the broads. ...You may even turn back when you get to the entrance to the big lake and see those White Horses, because the broads may be a "buster". NB.
The broads don't scare me. Most of my beach cat sailing has been on the ocean, and on some occasions launching through 8' surf. I had the boat airborne over a wave once a couple of years ago.

Quote:
I've used that ramp for my powerboat. It is paved now. It'd be a tough sail getting from that ramp out to the broads; i imagine I'd have to go through the hole-in-the-wall or east of Cow Island. either route would have undependable winds.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #7
ApS

Smile A Former Beach-Cat Sailor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
Last month I bought a house in Wolfeboro and I'm bringing my 16' beach catamaran to Winnipesaukee this summer. I plan to daysail it and need to find a place to launch, preferably a short drive from Wolfeboro and with direct access to open water. I'd also like to be able to park my car and trailer for the day. I've considered the ramp across from the Libby Museum in Winter Harbor but am concerned the relatively narrow water will make it tough to get out of the harbor. I'm willing to launch from a beach or not-too-rocky shore if a ramp is not available. Can anyone offer a suggestion?
I've had four different beach catamarans on Lake Winnipesaukee since 1972—including the most-rewarding, an Olympics Tornado.

At Libby Museum launch ramp, you'll have nothing to worry about regarding "narrow water"; however, even with favorable NW winds, the sailing is especially fluky as you approach the Keewaydin point of land from either direction. There's nothing like it—even forewarned, you can still tangle with Keewaydin's swim raft!

Especially tricky, also, is the Rt. 109 traffic. Unless you launch at dawn (a good idea), be prepared to position a crew member to stop traffic. A traffic cone would help, but be sure it's not one you want to keep!

NoBozo has a point. Many catamarans (even powerboats) meet the approach to The Broads, only to turn around and sail the afternoon away in Winter Harbor. The only time I've been ejected from my catamaran was encountering wakes from oversized boats. Your biggest concern should be the wakes from the lake's "gin palaces"—especially those traveling in pairs. Also, keep in mind that winds on The Broads tend to die completely at 11:32. (Time it—it can also become very "hungry" and hot out there).

Watching from lakeside during some formidable NW winds—like this morning's—I'll remark to guests that, "That catamaran is going to return on its side".

Too often, I'm right.

CateP (06-09-2016), DBreskin (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
I've had four different beach catamarans on Lake Winnipesaukee since 1972—including the most-rewarding, an Olympics Tornado.
I crewed a Tornado a few times when I lived in Miami. Very nice boat.
My high point was taking 2nd-in-class in the 1987 Miami - Key Largo race on my Prindle 16. My brother and I completed 50+ miles in under three hours.

Quote:
Especially tricky, also, is the Rt. 109 traffic. Unless you launch at dawn (a good idea), be prepared to position a crew member to stop traffic. A traffic cone would help, but be sure it's not one you want to keep!
I guess I might be able to quickly back into the ramp lane and step my mast there if the trees aren't too low.

Quote:
Also, keep in mind that winds on The Broads tend to die completely at 11:32. (Time it—it can also become very "hungry" and hot out there).
That's another concern; I don't want to find myself becalmed far from the ramp. It's a real pain to paddle any distance.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:14 AM   #9
ApS

Default Short Stories...

Quote:
I crewed a Tornado a few times when I lived in Miami. Very nice boat.
When first introduced, brochures showed the Tornado towing waterskiers!

Quote:
My high point was taking 2nd-in-class in the 1987 Miami - Key Largo race on my Prindle 16. My brother and I completed 50+ miles in under three hours...That's another concern; I don't want to find myself becalmed far from the ramp. It's a real pain to paddle any distance.
• My A-Cat (Kevlar, wave-piercer, no carbon ) had Prindle rudders, that I had to bolt down!

• Lake Winnipesaukee's breezes are subject to quick changes. Even with the mast already raised, you can be rigging your catamaran and, before finishing, the wind can go to nothing! If you don't launch at dawn from Libby's, the drive to Melvin will save waiting in line at Libby's. (If there is such a thing as a line at that ramp).

• While the sun was setting, I had sailed the Tornado into the "dead zone" off Keewaydin Point—and had no paddle and no lights! With spouse at the helm, two of us stretched out on the two forward decks of the Tornado and paddled using just our hands the ½-mile home! The boat "drove" surprisingly fast, and upon arrival, each of us stated "I won".

• To see what improvement the new Hobie-18 would be to my Hobie-16, I rented a Hobie-18 in Moultonborough, and sailed it to Wolfeboro. (And later bought a Hobie-18-Formula with the tall mast, square-topped sail and wings—wings I quickly removed).

I'd launch from Melvin Village.

• IMO, The Broads is over-rated for sailing. When winds fail, you're always too far from home. (Though I get out there regularly—but before 11:32-AM). Each shore and each island produces its own winds—plus, breeze-producing clouds develop over land.

That said, I don't know how the weekend sailboat races off Welch Island fare; I suspect they have the occasional "drifting-matches".

• Sailing off Key Biscayne's Hobie Beach was very pleasurable, but the prevailing ocean breezes were also very predictable. I lived "behind Tony Roma's restaurant on the highway", and trailered to Hobie Beach. My new-to-me Hobie-16 had unblemished hulls, but I was greeted with the sight of a dozen other Hobie-16s sanding their hulls!

Old 08-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
DBreskin

Default Excellent results!

I launched from Melvin village on Thursday. Rather than use the paved ramp, I was able to back my trailer down to the very small public beach which was fortunately unoccupied. I stepped my mast, dropped my boat in the water and finished rigging on the beach. Wind was steady and I was able to fly a hull briefly on my way to 19 mile bay.

The only problem was Captain Bonehead in a ~35' boat who passed me going the other way at full wake, about 15mph, perhaps 70' feet away. When I gave him the universal palms-up ¯\_('')_/¯ signal for WTF, he started yelling at me. Fortunately I couldn't hear him over the roar of his engines.

Perhaps next time I'll try the Libby ramp, or maybe go to Ames Farm.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #11
gillygirl

Quote:
Perhaps next time I'll try the Libby ramp, or maybe go to Ames Farm.
FYI, you have to be a guest at Ames Farm in order to use their ramps.
DBreskin (08-15-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
DBreskin

Default Bad experience at Libby's ramp

I launched my catamaran at Libby's ramp Sunday but did not get to sail.

I went through the trouble of backing my trailer to the water, stepping the mast (no thanks to branches 2' lower than my mast) and dropping the boat in the water. I then attempted to park behind the museum, difficult due to the cars without trailers spaced too far apart. I managed to squeeze into the lot.

I then walked back to the ramp and waded in to push my boat around to the non-ramp side of the dock so I wouldn't block anyone else trying to launch or retrieve. I made the foolish mistake of going barefoot and sliced open my foot on a sharp rock. Lots of blood, a few stitches, and a promise to my wife to buy new water shoes before I try again.

It was challenging taking the mast down and putting the boat back on the trailer with my foot sliced open.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Water shoes for about ten dollars are a seasonal item at Wal-Mart, and they are sold out at the Gilford Wal-Mart. Where to go now for el cheapo water shoes good for sailing?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #14
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Water shoes for about ten dollars are a seasonal item at Wal-Mart, and they are sold out at the Gilford Wal-Mart. Where to go now for el cheapo water shoes good for sailing?
If think that I spotted some at Rite Aid in Wolfeboro.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #15
ursa minor

Ouch, sorry to hear about your foot. I've found a good pair of Teva or similar water proof sandals to be great boat and water shoes. We have a mix of rocks and sand on the bottom at the island and I rarely go in the water without them on. If we're out on the boat and end up pulling in somewhere and taking a walk around they're very comfortable for that as well. I've been using the same pair for 10 years or more so they're worth spending a few bucks on.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
fatlazyless

www.swimoutlet.com has Easy USA water shoes, reg 16.45, reduced to 3.95-7.95, black, 4 1/2 star rating.

Much less than Wal-mart and probably much better quality, plus in stock which always helps.
DBreskin (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #17
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
Ouch, sorry to hear about your foot. I've found a good pair of Teva or similar water proof sandals to be great boat and water shoes.
I had a pair of Teva sandals with me, on the boat, but was not wearing them as I prefer to sail barefoot (I grasp the mainsheet between my toes). I should have waited until I left the dock before removing them.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #18
NoBozo

Sorry it didn't work out. I was aware that a Mast might be a problem with the trees above but didn't want to discourage you from trying. A few years ago I helped a person launch a light Trimaran from that ramp with minor problems with the trees above. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote