Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
NHskier

Default Now here's a boat for the lake....

Imagine cruising in this baby!
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Def...query=jf-12127
Old 03-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
mowtorman

Default PT boat

Through the 70's there was a boat at the Mt. Washington drydock in Center Harbor under a temporary structure that might have been one of the old mail boats, but it was said to have been an old PT boat. It was between the current steamship building and what was Tup Goodhue Marine in the basement of Heath's, must have been there 10 years. Compared to what you could spend $1,000,000 on these days, I'd say the PT boat's a pretty good deal. Probably use at least 500 gallons of fuel to actually go anywhere. Love the old McHale's Navy shots of the various PT boats up and running. Check this out from the PT boat museum:

At the end of World War II, the expense of returning PT boats to the United States from overseas was considered prohibitive, so most boats were stripped of useful materials and burned.

From "Lake Winnipesaukee" by Mr. Gallup:

In 1916, by Act of Congress (the only such incident in the United States to date), the Uncle Sam became the only floating-post office. For the years 1932 & 3 the Marshall Foch took the honors, but it was displaced in '34 by the Uncle Sam I, which ran uninterrupted until destroyed due to old age after the end of the 1961 season. 1962 saw a new Uncle Sam II, a 72 foot converted PT-Boat, brought in by rail and launched for the increased traffic from many countries.

Last edited by mowtorman; 03-24-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: add info
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
NHskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
At the end of World War II, the expense of returning PT boats to the United States from overseas was considered prohibitive, so most boats were stripped of useful materials and burned.
That is SO unfortunate, particularly given their (and of course their crews!) incredible service heritage.

An uncle of mine served on one in the South Pacific and won a silver star for heroism. Those who served on PT boats were unquestionably in the thick of it.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
Through the 70's there was a boat at the Mt. Washington drydock in Center Harbor under a temporary structure that might have been one of the old mail boats, but it was said to have been an old PT boat. It was between the current steamship building and what was Tup Goodhue Marine in the basement of Heath's, must have been there 10 years. Compared to what you could spend $1,000,000 on these days, I'd say the PT boat's a pretty good deal. Probably use at least 500 gallons of fuel to actually go anywhere. Love the old McHale's Navy shots of the various PT boats up and running. Check this out from the PT boat museum:

The predecessor to the Sophie C. was the Uncle Sam II, a converted WWII PT boat, that served as the Winnipesaukee mailboat from 1962 to 1968.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
NoBozo

Default Listen Up Men

This is NO PT Boat. This was a Hudson River "Ride Boat" masquerading as a PT Boat...capable of maybe 25 MPH.

The original US PT Boats had three (3) Packard 4M-2500 ..1200 HP engines. (Total 3600 HP) The last and most well known were the Elco 80 footers. Next were the older Higgins 77 footers. Just sayin. NB

PS: I observed the restoration of one of the last 80' Elcos in the 1980s. . It is currently at the Fall River Battleship Cove in Fall River, Mass. It has 3 original Packards.

PPS: I live 1.5 miles from the WWII PT Training Base in Melville, RI.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
This is NO PT Boat. This was a Hudson River "Ride Boat" masquerading as a PT Boat...capable of maybe 25 MPH.

The original US PT Boats had three (3) Packard 4M-2500 ..1200 HP engines. (Total 3600 HP) The last and most well known were the Elco 80 footers. Next were the older Higgins 77 footers. Just sayin. NB

PS: I observed the restoration of one of the last 80' Elcos in the 1980s. . It is currently at the Fall River Battleship Cove in Fall River, Mass. It has 3 original Packards.

PPS: I live 1.5 miles from the WWII PT Training Base in Melville, RI.
Beat me to it, I was gonna say it's really under-powered with only 1100 HP. I've seen the one in Fall River, very cool.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
Barney Bear

Default Uncle Sam II

The U.S. mailboat, the Uncle Sam II was once approached by "pirates" from Camp Lawrence while on its mail route near Bear Island.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
NoBozo

Default Walking Back

Vosper was/is a British company. Off and On during the developement of OUR PT Boats..The British were influential. Apparently WE built some Vosper designed boats in this country using various American builders. ALL the Vosper designed boats were intended for "Lend Lease". That meant WE GAVE the boats to foreign nations..including Russia... to use at their discretion. Near the end of the war..many contracts were cancelled. I have no idea what power these boats had originally.

I am still suspect of "Ride Boat" PT-728. You can Google it and get many hits...videos. You can decide. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
mowtorman

Default more pt stuff

The consumption rate for each engine at a cruising speed of 23 knots was about 66 gallons per hour per engine, or 200 gallons per hour for all 3 engines. However, at top speed, gasoline consumption greatly increased - if underway at 41 knots, the boats would burn 3,000 gallons of gas in about 6 hours.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote