Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
diprna

Default Boat Whips vs Boat Lift

Hi...Not sure if general discussion is place I should post this...newbie to this site and to lakehouse ownership. We purchased a home in Meredith Bay and have a 26' Chapparell boat. We are quickly realizing the water is very rough there on weekends with boat traffic! We have had whips installed that should handle 10,000 pounds (our boat weighs 5200 lbs). Two weekends ago one of the ropes on the whip broke. Last weekend the whip itself actually snapped in two. Our dock is the aluminum kind that is raised in winter and lowered in summer. Is an expensive boat lift in our near future or is there another option? I understand it takes four weeks for a mooring permit to be processed (if it is approved). Is that our best option? Suggestions welcome! J
diprna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
codeman671

Mooring applications go pretty quick, you'd be surprised. Getting it off the dock would be the best solution. I have never been a fan of whips. If you have over 150 feet of frontage you could install a second dock finger and 4 way tie between the two.

A boat lift would be great, but it will cost you to purchase, plus annual install/remove charges (probably $400 each time they touch it). Depth is important with a lift such as a Sunstream. Typically you need 3-4' of water at the helm of the boat when parked at seasonal low water level for a cantilever lift to work. A Sunlift will probably run $8-10k easily. Sometimes used ones are available.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
diprna (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
boat_guy64

Default Meredith Bay

I also live on Meredith Bay. It gets very rough on Saturdays and the mail boats throw the biggest wake on the lake. I have both a dock and mooring. The boats takes a lot less of a beating on the mooring. (I use double lines) On the dock, I have six 1/2 inch lines with rubber snubbers. I usually break 2 lines each year. A lift seems like it would be the best overall solution although expensive.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boat_guy64 For This Useful Post:
diprna (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
SAB1

Hard to imagine you actually broke the whip. I suspect you had too much pressure on the pole. Our dock takes a beating in n/w blow and boats are parked broadside too the wind. I never seen a whip break. My boat is also 5200lbs and my whips are 13 years old. I would love a lift but they cost good money, require a permit and are supposed to come out every winter.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
diprna (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
RLW

Smile

diprna, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. I’m sure you will get the correct scoop on this site along with many good suggestions. Best of luck with your endeavors.
diprna (05-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
codeman671

Is your boat 5200lbs dry, or with full fuel? There is a Sunlift in the classifieds today that is a 6000lb lift. If 5200lbs is a wet weight the lift would work, if without fuel you would need a heavier lift capacity.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
diprna (05-20-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Boat Lift

I think I saw a used one bundled up for sale off White Oaks Road in Laconia. You may want to check it out.
diprna (05-20-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

As someone already said here I find it hard to believe that you broke a whip if everything was done correctly. I know people that use whips and have for years with very little problem, and in some very busy parts of the lake.
3 of which live have places with short front on the broads.

During last years hurricane my whips did an excellent job with my boat.

When I see whips break it is generally because along with bending they are twisting. Which means the boat is being allowed to move along the dock to far.

All that said, a lift is the safest. However as mentioned you will not only have the cost of the lift, but it must be put in and out every year.

A mooring is the next best option, there will be some up front cost but yearly maintenance isn't that bad. Make sure you put in a mooring that will accommodate your future boat ambitions.

Whips are going to be the cheapest route. You might also want to incorporate some snubers in the set up as well.

As always ask for help, plenty is always given on the forum...
diprna (05-20-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Misty Blue

Default Use a kedge.

A way to deal with this is to use a kedgeing anchor.

A kedge is an anchor (either a regular anchor or a mooring block) attached to the outboard side of the boat.

Our set up... About 15 feet outboard of our boats we plant a mooring block. Attached to the block is about 6 feet of heavy chain. Attached to the chain is enough nylon (1/2 inch is good) line to reach a conveniant place on your dock.

You tie up the boat to the dock in the regular way only a bit looser. You then take the kedging line and secure it to your outboard, midships cleat. With the loose dock lines the kedging line will pull the boat away from the dock. Adjust your docking lines so that the boat is about a foot from the rubbing posts. The weight of the chain running along the bottom will lift and drop as the boat moves up and down and will act as a shock absorber. It is cheap and easy on the boat and no permit required.

Good luck!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (05-17-2012), diprna (05-20-2012), Jonas Pilot (05-17-2012), Winnisquamguy (05-18-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Guy

We have used the same pair of over sized whips on the broads for 10 years. We have always used the collapsing triangle method as shown here. The triangle prevents the twisting force.
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
diprna (05-20-2012), rgilfert (05-18-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Jonas Pilot

Do you use bumpers too?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Whips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Do you use bumpers too?
Only one in the very front because when the wind and wave are exactly right, the boat can kiss the dock. If it is that rough, we tie a line to shore to keep that from happening.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I've had great luck with mooring whips....secret is...go oversize for your boat or make sure they are heavy duty and they should handle most anything. Misty Blue has a good idea too. If you place a well anchored mooring ball for the bow, you can tie the stern to your dock and still have easy access to your boat. Not too difficult, just takes a little experimenting.
Boat lifts are fine in salt water since you need to wash your boat and flush your engine after use but for fresh water, that's a lot of money to spend when there are lots of cheaper options. Good luck.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
Flyfisha

Default Whips

Done it both ways--I have had oversize whips for about 15 years and have had good luck. My shore station sits on Rattlesnake looking for a new home. Sorry it's only rated for 3600# It really became a pain to take out and put in!
Flyfisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
Rangervx

i would suggest contacting the folks at Mooring Products International. they are the inventors of the mooring whips and their whips are top notch. i would never trust my boat to anything other than these whips...period...end of story. they are out of florida...call them up and don't be suprised if you speak with the owner/president.
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
Rattlesnake Guy

RG has become an expert at tying lines to the dock post in a way that the lines do not wear from rubbing. Probably common to many on here but she wraps it so the line exist from between two other wraps and can't rub on the wood.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
A way to deal with this is to use a kedgeing anchor. ... It is cheap and easy on the boat and no permit required.

Good luck!

Misty Blue.
Another term for this is off-set mooring and I've used the technique with great results too, and recomended it on a couple threads. However... One of our members tried it, and when going out for a cruise tossed the line back into the water. One day there was an MP nearby who cited him for unlicensed mooring. After reading that I was careful to look around when I launched. If there was an MP nearby I pulled the rig from the water before heading out.

My rig was set up with chain to the anchor and a loop of line toward the boat. This made it easier to snag if laid on the bottom, or accidentally dropped.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
diprna

Default Thank you!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. My husband and I have learned so much already! We are feeling more confident giving the whips another shot (this time increasing to 20000 lb wt). Yesterday we bought and installed snubbers. Hopefully the new whips will do the trick. Maybe someday we will end up with a lift but we really would prefer not......the hassle of taking in and out and even storage (we have no flat land!) would be nice to avoid. Lastly, the water is too shallow at our dock so in order to use a lift, we would need to extend the dock....real snowball effect which hits the checkbook hard. Thanks again for all the great advice and comments. Joyce
Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
diprna

Default Ps....

We are planning to apply for the mooring permit. It would be nice to have the option on the really rough days.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #20
Pricestavern

Default Where to Purchase Whips?

My wife and I want to purchase whips (sounds funny, right). Where to buy here at the lake?
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #21
Jonas Pilot

Wicked Wanda's Winnipesaukee Whips Wolfeboro.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
My wife and I want to purchase whips (sounds funny, right). Where to buy here at the lake?
Many places can help you with whips....

I personally use Center Harbor dock and Pier....

you can also find them online at Overtons

and Last take a peak on craigs list... I fond Whips for my jetski there, for cheap money.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #23
camp guy

Default boat whips ...

Considering that fact that you are going to use these whip to secure a major asset in your life, don't buy used, and don't skimp on quality. I would suggest buying from a reputable, local dealer, and making sure that they are installed exactly according to directions, right down to the last nut! If you should experience problems, by buying locally and installing them correctly, you will have the best chance for a satisfactory resolution to your problems.

I bought whips locally, installed them according to the directions, and they worked well while I still had my boat.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #24
DickR

Amen on the careful installation. Bear in mind that the downward pull by the boat at the end of the whip as it pitches in waves produces a tremendous torque at the point of attachment to the dock. You ought to check how the deck is attached to the frame, particularly on the opposite side of the dock from where the whip base is affixed, which must resist the torque of the whip. You may need some reinforcement at both sides of the dock. Even the side where the whip is affixed will see a fair amount of sideways torque, which happens when the attachment of the line to the boat is not straight out from where the whip base is on the dock, but toward the inner or outer end of the dock.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #25
NoBozo

I LIKE the Kedge Anchor solution that was recommended earlier. A Kedge anchor is NOT A MOORING. It is a large (storm) Anchor..like a Danforth..or maybe a CQR placed out away from the boat to Windward..in the correct position..to be determined... by the conditions. Trial and Error. . It is an Anchor ...so you are not bound by any stinkin Mooring regulations.

The kedge will have Chain AND Nylon from the anchor up to the boat. Just like an anchor. Simple. DON'T YOU JUST HATE SIMPLE....?? NB

BTW: If you put a granite/cement "SINKER" out there...you GOT a Mooring
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
Rangervx

anyone thinking about whips...please research/contact Gordon at mooring products international....i would never trust my boat to any other product...these whips are top notch. to each his own however...
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #27
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
...A Kedge anchor is NOT A MOORING. It is a large (storm) Anchor...so you are not bound by any stinkin Mooring regulations..."
Even more sketches, pix, advice, "Sentinels", and "warps" here:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...d.php?p=128557

Note for member musconnet—I have an update for you, but your inbox is full.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #28
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
... It is an Anchor ...so you are not bound by any stinkin Mooring regulations.
I would have agreed with you but in the incident I cited, the MP's point of view was that if you left it in the water when the boat left, it was a mooring.

FWIW - A block can be used as an anchor. A 'mooring' can utilise an anchor. It's a case of function not form.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #29
Rattlesnake Guy

Like boats, all Whips are not created equal. The whips I often see at places around the lake are not very big. They can be expensive depending on size. You get what you pay for.