Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
donnamatrix

Default What's going into old Hannaford store in Gilford?

So, Hannaford is building a new, but smaller store across Rt 11 in Gilford from the existing Hannford. Why? Who knows. My question is what vendor is going to takeover the "old" store in the WalMart Plaza? Gee, I hope it's Market Basket. Once Hannaford departs the WalMart Plaza it will be pretty bleak up there. Anyone know how to persuade Market Basket to move in?
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
AC2717

Would love a Basspro or a West Marine
Old 06-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We would love a Market Basket, it is a long drive from west Alton over to Tilton.

That might put the Gilford Shaw's store out of business freeing it up for something useful.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
songkrai

It's a tough call up there on the hill. Too out of the way for many. Walmart has a small store there. Used to be a Rich's Department store. Don't think any grocery store will go in vacant store. Unless the rent is cheap - nothing - vacant. Might be good for a Building 19.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (06-18-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
tummyman

Market Basket would turn the new Hannaford's and Shaws into ghost towns. However, Market Basket usually does not go into buildings they cannot own. Just their philosophy to not be tied to others. But we can all pray..... and no mater what, I drive the 52 mile round trip to Tilton MB and pass by all the competitors, just to save HUGE. Have shopped MB for over 30 years in MA and now NH. We supplement at Heath's when we just need milk or bread.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
So, Hannaford is building a new, but smaller store across Rt 11 in Gilford from the existing Hannford. Why? Who knows.
No doubt its a lack of visibility in its current location.People drive right by until they see Shaws.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default Shaws

I absolutely refuse to shop at a store where I have to bring a special card in to get sale pricing.
So unless we got to Tilton or there is a really, really good deal on beer or some other high dollar item I avoid Shaws for that reason.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
mcdude (01-05-2012)
Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

You know, BR, those cards bug me too. I avoid stores where I have to use them, but I won't say I don't use them. I just wish they would all drop them. I don't think it helps their business because I think there are lots of people like you and me that don't like them. (Don't mean to throw off topic.)
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
spider22

The Shaws card saves you money at the gas pump as well as the sale items in the store. With the price of gas as high as it is now every little bit helps.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
The Shaws card saves you money at the gas pump as well as the sale items in the store. With the price of gas as high as it is now every little bit helps.
I had read they discontinued the gasoline discount in February. Even at that...if you figured out the savings on gas vs the amount spent at Shaws, it came out to a really really small percentage.

The most recent version of the deal was spend $50-100, get $0.05 discount per gallon...up to 20 gallons. So even if you could get the full 20 gallons in your tank (unlikely with most passenger cars) that would only be a $1 savings. Relative to the original $50, that's 2%, down as low as 1% if you spent the full $100 to get it.

The older version worked out to twice that, or about 2%-4% savings relative to the Shaws purchase. Better, but compared to the total of your grocery bill compared to (say) Market Basket, you were probably still losing money on the deal.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patman For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-05-2012), MindFire (01-31-2012)
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
Lucky1

Default Are there Building 19 stores in NH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
It's a tough call up there on the hill. Too out of the way for many. Walmart has a small store there. Used to be a Rich's Department store. Don't think any grocery store will go in vacant store. Unless the rent is cheap - nothing - vacant. Might be good for a Building 19.
I love the one in Burlington, MA. A friend just got the most beautiful rug I have ever seen there. I went shopping with her all along places on Rte 9 where they had rugs that were outragiously expensive and overpriced only to have her find a really wonderful rug in her own town at a Building 19!!!

As a young person (AHHH to be young again) I would shop at Filene's Basement at a time when the New York stores had not gone to Chicago, Boston etc. They sent their end of season things to Filene's Basement in Boston. Got some really wonderful things there all of my life until they closed several years ago. It was best back in the fifites and sixties I think. So I have always been a bargain shopper and would love to have a Building 19 near our wonderful lake!
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #12
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I love the one in Burlington, MA. A friend just got the most beautiful rug I have ever seen there.
And if it's like any of the other items we have regretfully purchased from Building 19, it will last about a year.

I've made only a few purchases from B19, but everything we've purchased (luggage, some home goods), has been "garbage" not a "bargain". I won't even go there now.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #13
ripley

Default Hannafords/walmart/Gilford

I have been told ny management at Hannafords that walmart will enlarge to take the whole enitre side that now has multiple shops and those shops and more will occupy the other side of the " ell "
ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
I have been told ny management at Hannafords that walmart will enlarge to take the whole enitre side that now has multiple shops and those shops and more will occupy the other side of the " ell "
Let us hope so If they do this it's a smart move. Since the Tilton Walmart is going to be a super-store it makes sense to turn the Gilford Walmart into a full service store & use the empty space up there.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Someone told me....

that they had heard that Sams Club/ Neighborhood Market, was looking to go into that location.

http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/P...ry.aspx?id=442
Old 01-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
Boston Fireguy

Default Super WalMart ?

Here's a thought; put up a new building for a Super WalMart.

Boston Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #17
fatlazyless

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/story...-walmart-plaza

The article says that the new Walmart store would be split; part in Laconia, and part in Gilford. It's so nice to see the two towns, Gilford and Laconia getting along together like that to be home to a brand new Walmart Supercenter!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #18
Belmont Resident

Default Lower prising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
http://www.laconiadailysun.com/story...-walmart-plaza

The article says that the new Walmart store would be split; part in Laconia, and part in Gilford. It's so nice to see the two towns, Gilford and Laconia getting along together like that to be home to a brand new Walmart Supercenter!
If you travel to Tilton or Concord you pay less for the same items found in the Gilford store.
I asked a Gilford worker about this and was told the location and the small size or the store, are the reason prices are higher.
On one occasion I found a $10.00 difference between Gilford and Tilton.
The location will not change and we all know how greed seems to play a factor in business’s that are closer to the lake and tourists.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #19
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Nothing has changed, Less

Quote:
www.laconiadailysun.com/story/walmart-expand-walmart-plaza

Thanks for the link, but if you had read it, you would know that nothing has really changed here, except for the amount of square footage in the two communities.

While most of the Walmart plaza lies in Gilford, more than half of the space currently occupied by Walmart and all of the space into which it would expand lies in Laconia.

Walmart would expand from 69,474-square-feet to 131,474-square-feet by incorporating the 62,000-square-feet that houses Fashion Bug, Bootleggers and Olympia Sports.

As you can see, it is already "split" and always has been.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Name:  Gilford Laconia city town border.JPG
Views: 4695
Size:  95.0 KB

Less, looks like you'd be in Laconia if you were in the Hardware Department.

Pink line is the Laconia/Gilford border.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #21
patman

Although it was inevitable, I'm not looking forward to a supercenter there. Last summer I compared grocery prices between the supercenter in Rochester and other alternatives. I found that some well-hyped items were in fact cheaper, but the staples (milk, butter, eggs) were all significantly more expensive. At the time, a gallon of milk was $1 more expensive for example. Between the questionable 'value' on their prices, and their frightening volume of imported goods (both in the grocery and in the rest of the store) I stick to other venues.
The Following User Says Thank You to patman For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
Belmont Resident

Default None perishables only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
Although it was inevitable, I'm not looking forward to a supercenter there. Last summer I compared grocery prices between the supercenter in Rochester and other alternatives. I found that some well-hyped items were in fact cheaper, but the staples (milk, butter, eggs) were all significantly more expensive. At the time, a gallon of milk was $1 more expensive for example. Between the questionable 'value' on their prices, and their frightening volume of imported goods (both in the grocery and in the rest of the store) I stick to other venues.
Although I do shopped there, I would NEVER consider buying perishable items from a Walmart store. Chips, flavored water even beer but thats it. I wouldn't even consider bread items from there.
Besides there is a JJ Nissin store on 140 in Tilton where you can stock up on all of your bread needs at far less than any of the food stores. And it's all first quality, not day or 2 day old stuff like many other discount places sell.

While on the subject of cheap, has anyone else that has shopped at Cheapo Depot noticed his pricing has gone up so much that he is in some instances more expensive than at the local stores? I asked the owner about it and his reply was, well if you don't like it there are always other places you can go.
I used to buy ALL my bleach there for my business, but for the cost savings it is no longer worth driving out of my way. And many of the granola items have been pretty stale.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #23
songkrai

Walmart is my last stop for anything. For so many reasons.
Employment practices.
Cheapnesss of goods.
Prices are not cheaper on many items.
Not enough monitoring on child labor in foreign countries.
Chinese crap when a few pennies more it could be USA goods.
Food of unknown origin.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-07-2012), Jonas Pilot (01-05-2012), Mirror Lake's BB (01-05-2012), modio (06-13-2012), patman (01-05-2012), SteveA (01-06-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #24
Belmont Resident

Default Way more expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Walmart is my last stop for anything. For so many reasons.
Employment practices.
Cheapnesss of goods.
Prices are not cheaper on many items.
Not enough monitoring on child labor in foreign countries.
Chinese crap when a few pennies more it could be USA goods.
Food of unknown origin.
While not advocating Walmart in any way, good old American made products which you would think would be less if made here are a heck of a lot more expensive than a few pennies. Fact is if we bought American we could only afford to buy half of what we buy.
I’d love to buy Carhartt work pants but for the same price I can buy 3-4 pairs of other work pants. They may not last as long but still it stretches the dollar a lot further.
As for American made automobiles the front page of the December Consumer Reports states under, Most & least reliable cars, Asian models excel, Ford stumbles.
I’m not saying I don’t buy American when I can afford it but if you can afford to buy American made all the time then you’re a heck of a lot better off then a lot of us are.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
As for American made automobiles the front page of the December Consumer Reports states under, Most & least reliable cars, Asian models excel, Ford stumbles.

Most Consumer Reports evals leave much to be desired. That publication ranks towards the very bottom of my list of preferred research methods for any given purchase.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #26
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Most Consumer Reports evals leave much to be desired. That publication ranks towards the very bottom of my list of preferred research methods for any given purchase.
I’m sure that you find more balanced evaluations in publications that accept advertising from the manufacturers that are being rated. Surely Motor Trend would hold no punches in evaluating a Ford F-150 even if there was a full page ad on the back cover.

Anyway, getting back to the subject of the thread, it would be better to expand Walmart than to have the plaza die a slow death.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #27
fatlazyless

In Plymouth, there's a Super Walmart and a Hannaford's within about one mile on Rt 25, and the Hannaford's has some lower prices probably because it is close to a Walmart that includes a food super market.

Likewise, the Hannaford's and Shaw's located nearby in Gilford can be expected to lower their prices since they have some nearby competition with a new Super Walmart.
Belmont Resident (01-06-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #28
Belmont Resident

Default That would be great

Quote:
In Plymouth, there's a Super Walmart and a Hannaford's within about one mile on Rt 25, and the Hannaford's has some lower prices probably because it is close to a Walmart that includes a food super market.

Likewise, the Hannaford's and Shaw's located nearby in Gilford can be expected to lower their prices since they have some nearby competition with a new Super Walmart.
I drink the Sobe life water. Hannaford’s used to sell it for $1.00 and since the new store opened it gone up to $1.25. So I went to Walmart and picked up 24 for $1 each.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #29
Alton Bay

That's really good news. Supercenter prices are really good. I shop at the Walmart in Rochester when I can and the Gilford store will be so convenient!!!
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #30
ChocolateGypsy

Default would someone please tell me...

...how it came to be that a portion of the building went up in another town? I mean, was it intentional? I was around when it was being built, but I must have missed the issue. (Maybe 'cause i wasn't interested in real estate and zoning laws back then.)

could someone please bring me up to speed? feel free to PM.

thanks,
Choc

Just droppin' in for a bite.
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateGypsy View Post
...how it came to be that a portion of the building went up in another town? I mean, was it intentional?

It's a pretty common event with commercial development. The site plans for the project are approved by both communities, or in some cases, there is a regional planning authority that has jurisdiction. Typically the towns will hire a "clerk of the works" or engineer to represent their interests in the actual construction of the project.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #32
patman

I always got a chuckle out of the Pheasant Lane Mall's solution to crossing the MA state line...they cut the corner of the building off so they wouldn't have to deal with MA sales taxes. (Google's dotted state line is off a little, but you get the idea.)
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #33
Belmont Resident

Default I remember that

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
I always got a chuckle out of the Pheasant Lane Mall's solution to crossing the MA state line...they cut the corner of the building off so they wouldn't have to deal with MA sales taxes. (Google's dotted state line is off a little, but you get the idea.)
I remember all the comments going around over that back when I lived in Nashua.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #34
LongBay

Default No one gets away paying the tax man...

I bet those mall shoppers wished they put a restaurant in that corner so they wouldn't get hit with a 9% meal tax!

NH's new slogan should be Pay That Meal Tax or You'll be Washing Dishes Tonight.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #35
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
I bet those mall shoppers wished they put a restaurant in that corner so they wouldn't get hit with a 9% meal tax!

NH's new slogan should be Pay That Meal Tax or You'll be Washing Dishes Tonight.
You seem to be kind of hung up on the meal tax thing (having mentioned it in a couple of threads now).

I'll admit, I hadn't even noticed the NH meals tax. My wife and I go out in NH or MA for anything from a "cheap" ($20 tab) to a "nice" ($100+) meal.

MA has a 6.25% meals tax, and some towns have their own .75% meals tax (making it 7% total).

So, on even a $300 bill, the delta between a 9% tax and a 6.25% tax is $8.25. These are not values that cause great duress to my budget at that point.
Belmont Resident (01-11-2012), Winnisquamguy (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #36
RailroadJoe

I'll take the 9% room & meals tax anytime over the income tax and sales tax of Massachusetts.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-11-2012), Gatto Nero (01-11-2012), ishoot308 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #37
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
I'll take the 9% room & meals tax anytime over the income tax and sales tax of Massachusetts.
Yup.....and you can add the Massachusetts estate tax & capital gains taxes (both of which NH does not have) to the list of why I'll take NH too.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #38
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Yup.....and you can add the Massachusetts estate tax & capital gains taxes (both of which NH does not have) to the list of why I'll take NH too.
No, but NH does have an estate tax if you leave your property to anyone other than your children. For a while they abolished it, but I think they brought it back. And we don't have capital gains but we have real estate transfer tax and interest and dividends tax.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #39
LongBay

Default 3% for nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
You seem to be kind of hung up on the meal tax thing (having mentioned it in a couple of threads now).

I'll admit, I hadn't even noticed the NH meals tax. My wife and I go out in NH or MA for anything from a "cheap" ($20 tab) to a "nice" ($100+) meal.

MA has a 6.25% meals tax, and some towns have their own .75% meals tax (making it 7% total).

So, on even a $300 bill, the delta between a 9% tax and a 6.25% tax is $8.25. These are not values that cause great duress to my budget at that point.
That $8.25 could get you another appetizer or dessert , which would in turn would give the local restaurant owner another $8.25 added revenue, which would then in turn give all the vendors they buy from and the employee's they hire more revenue so they can then go out to eat or buy something that suites their fancy . You never know, one of those restaurant owners, vendors or employees may have something you are trying to sell. I see a lot of people with smiles on their faces if NH were to lower the meal tax. Heck, if they can lower a "sin" tax's (HB 156) why not a "luxury" tax. I personally don't have any friends who pick tobacco but I do have a lot of friends and family who work in local restaurants.

Yup, I guess I am hung up when a person has to pay a higher tax on a meal vs. no tax on a new diamond ring. Ask a person who's job takes them on the road and they have to dine out what is more of a "luxury item", having a good meal at the end of the day or buying some more bling?

It's a good thing we have some new presidential candidates that are also hung up on all the tax's. Can't wait for some new gubernatorial candidates to speak their mind.

Hey, if most folks don't care about a 3% difference, why not have a general NH sales tax of 3% so that people who dine out a lot or own homes can get a break. That will never happen . Most of the NH politicians think 3% is a big difference as it gets MA residents to cross the boarder and buy buy buy. In fact I believe they just lowered a sin tax! How will they make up the difference...umm let me guess....
Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #40
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
No, but NH does have an estate tax if you leave your property to anyone other than your children. For a while they abolished it, but I think they brought it back. And we don't have capital gains but we have real estate transfer tax and interest and dividends tax.
That was the old estate tax law tis.....it has been abolished. There are no longer any NH estate taxes. So you can leave what you want in your will to who you want without that worry
Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #41
Belmont Resident

Default Eat at home!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
That $8.25 could get you another appetizer or dessert , which would in turn would give the local restaurant owner another $8.25 added revenue, which would then in turn give all the vendors they buy from and the employee's they hire more revenue so they can then go out to eat or buy something that suites their fancy . You never know, one of those restaurant owners, vendors or employees may have something you are trying to sell. I see a lot of people with smiles on their faces if NH were to lower the meal tax. Heck, if they can lower a "sin" tax's (HB 156) why not a "luxury" tax. I personally don't have any friends who pick tobacco but I do have a lot of friends and family who work in local restaurants.

Yup, I guess I am hung up when a person has to pay a higher tax on a meal vs. no tax on a new diamond ring. Ask a person who's job takes them on the road and they have to dine out what is more of a "luxury item", having a good meal at the end of the day or buying some more bling?

It's a good thing we have some new presidential candidates that are also hung up on all the tax's. Can't wait for some new gubernatorial candidates to speak their mind.

Hey, if most folks don't care about a 3% difference, why not have a general NH sales tax of 3% so that people who dine out a lot or own homes can get a break. That will never happen . Most of the NH politicians think 3% is a big difference as it gets MA residents to cross the boarder and buy buy buy. In fact I believe they just lowered a sin tax! How will they make up the difference...umm let me guess....
For some odd reason you are really hung up on something that for the rest of us really isn’t a problem, it comes with life in this state. How you are able to work the meals tax into this thread on the new Hannaford’s is beyond me.
Unless you are eating out ALL the time you are talking pennies on the dollar which isn’t really worth worrying about for most of us. But then there are those that will drive out of there way for a deal on gas and use more gas getting there. That makes sense!!!
It is kinda like buying a house in a certain town then complaining about the taxes in that town. You know what you are getting into before you make the change.
I honestly don’t see how you can even compare NH to any of the southern states since most are coming up here to a better place to get away from their over crowded, poverty stricken, smog filled, crime filled cities. Personally they just don’t compare, other then jobs I could never understand how anyone could enjoy life in a city. But that is just me, I’m sure many find it hard to believe life in a rural area with tree’s, birds, wildlife, oh and peace and quiet could possibly be a plus.
brk-lnt (01-12-2012), RailroadJoe (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #42
nvtngtxpyr

Quote:
Yup, and you can add the MA Excise tax on personal property like autos, boats, and trailers. They don't call it Taxachusetts for nothing.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #43
rrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtngtxpyr View Post
Yup, and you can add the MA Excise tax on personal property like autos, boats, and trailers. They don't call it Taxachusetts for nothing.
In all fairness, NH makes up for the excise tax in the registration fees. It costs a lot less to register a car in MA. But again, we're off topic - sorry.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #44
tis

Quote:
That was the old estate tax law tis.....it has been abolished. There are no longer any NH estate taxes. So you can leave what you want in your will to who you want without that worry
I knew it was abolished but I know they were trying to bring it back when the dems had control of the NH house the past couple of years. THey didn't succeed? Good!

rrr is right, it is expensive now to register your car in NH. I think NH makes up for lack of an income and sales tax in their many other taxes.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #45
Belmont Resident

Default More expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
In all fairness, NH makes up for the excise tax in the registration fees. It costs a lot less to register a car in MA. But again, we're off topic - sorry.
Oh it is by far more expensive for a lot of things in NH. BUT that is also not something that is a secret and worth it to live in the country. Although it IS getting more and more crowded and the traffic during tourist season is miserable.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #46
RailroadJoe

And now, back to walmart location!
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #47
crowsnest

I honestly don’t see how you can even compare NH to any of the southern states since most are coming up here to a better place to get away from their over crowded, poverty stricken, smog filled, crime filled cities. Personally they just don’t compare, other then jobs I could never understand how anyone could enjoy life in a city. But that is just me, I’m sure many find it hard to believe life in a rural area with tree’s, birds, wildlife, oh and peace and quiet could possibly be a plus.[/QUOTE]

I live South of Boston and it is pretty rural in my town and most of the towns
around me. My commute to the lake is not as rural as I drive through laconia
center. I think every State has the good and the not so good areas. Just my 2 cents 68 days to spring
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crowsnest For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-12-2012), Resident 2B (01-14-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #48
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
And now, back to walmart location!

I guess not.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #49
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I guess not.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #50
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtngtxpyr View Post
Paying MA reg fee and excise tax on both an 08 truck and a 09 Malibu was $150 cheaper than the NH reg. alone. Let's don't even get into the insurance as that is so far more expensive in NH I don't even want to talk about it.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #51
LongBay

Default Back to the thread...

And the answer everyone has been waiting for...probably nothing.
I find the off topic discussions in this thread a lot more interesting . There is a good reason Hannaford, CVS and Bootleggers moved off the hill and down the street. Wallmart may think they are king of the hill, but sometimes it's better to be at the bottom . Like Bob Barker would say "come on down Olympia".
Old 01-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #52
corollaman

Default This is what I have heard.

My sister works at the Olympia Sports over there. She told me that their store is moving to where CVS used to be, then Walmart is taking that whole side of the ell, where Olympia and Fashion Bug are, all the way to where Dollar Tree is. Michaels Crafts Supply is going in to the old Hannaford. Walmart is going to expand into the woods in the back as well as expand sideways into the empty stores. Dollar Tree is staying where it is.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #53
jniff101

If what you heard is true that sounds awesome!!
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #54
livenh

Default Old Hannaford

Wal Mart is expanding to a super Wal-Mart. The old Hannaford's is being broken up into 4 spots, from what I have heard. Unsure of what is going in there, though. Losing Fashion Bug and Olympia Sports.
livenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #55
fitzlydia

I've been out of town since late October........So, tell me, is the new Hannaford store open?

I'd like to see Olympia stay in the Wal*Mart plaza and it would be nice to have a Michael's there.

I'll be watching this thread for any news.

fitzlydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #56
Belmont Resident

Default It has been open for a while.

Check pricing though, I've noticed increases on many items. I now go to Walmart for my Sobe life water. Hannafords went up from $1.00 to $1.25. That is quite an increase. I still wish Market Basket would come to town.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #57
MindFire

Default Market Basket for the WIN!

I know it won't happen, but MB would be the best. I emailed Shaw's Customer Service 3 times about their massive price differences for many items. They email me back saying:

"The items you have detailed are not the same brands and there is a quality difference."

Which made me chuckle. So I sent them photos of 10 products, packaged ones, of the exact same brand... with huge price differences... stores less than a mile apart in Tilton.

No response that time. Only reason I ever go to Shaw's is that the place is so empty, there are hardly any lines.
MindFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #58
Alton Bay

Any updates regarding the former Hannaford building in Gilford?? I do hope it doesn't stay vacant. Someone mentioned a Michael's coming in once.
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #59
sum-r breeze

Default Just don't mess with my chinese restaurant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
My sister works at the Olympia Sports over there. She told me that their store is moving to where CVS used to be, then Walmart is taking that whole side of the ell, where Olympia and Fashion Bug are, all the way to where Dollar Tree is. Michaels Crafts Supply is going in to the old Hannaford. Walmart is going to expand into the woods in the back as well as expand sideways into the empty stores. Dollar Tree is staying where it is.
They can move anything they want, any where they want ....Just don't mess with my Chinese restaurant! Love their General Gau's chicken! I know I know OFF TOPIC again.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sum-r breeze For This Useful Post:
modio (06-13-2012)