Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
crowsnest

Default Wide Open saloon Weirs beach

Does anyone know if they did anything with the burt saloon or have any plans for it. I hope they rebuild or knock it down before tourist season starts this year !
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
fatlazyless

No signs of demolition-repair-reconstruction since the day of the fire at the Wide Open Saloon. Since the fire happened, a temporary chain link fence was installed around the perimeter and the burnt out wreck is probably waiting for a friendly insurance company to show up with a big bucket of 100-dollar bills to get a reconstruction project all engaged up.

So, where is the money, where-where-where, to make something start to happen down at the Wide Open Saloon? I have absolutely no clue what-so-ever but nothing is happening with the burnt out wreck which took place on September 17, 2010.

There's another thread on the fire at the Wide Open Saloon started on the day of the fire which has a video link to the fire from WMUR.
crowsnest (03-28-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

The entire Weirs needs a do-over! where is that master plan they have been talking about?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (03-28-2011), hazelnut (03-27-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Here's some new construction happening at the Weirs area. Over on nearby Scenic Drive, just up the hill and beyond a trailer park about one half mile from the seasonally closed Weirs the Beef store, the www.meredithbaynh.com has been doing extensive earth moving and sitework all winter long. Looking in their website, they have a number of proposed two bedroom-three bathroom townhouses overlooking the waterfront at 629 Scenic Drive with asking price in the range of 500 to 600 thousand dollars.

The site is located on a Weirs Beach Scenic Drive hilltop site that used to be home to a well known restaurant years ago, so I have been told. It is situated between the Scenic Drive and the waterfront railroad tracks which is within the City of Laconia.

Last time I drove past about two weeks ago, they were drilling and doing sitework with some big earth moving Caterpillar machines, and none of the townhouse construction had been started. Probably, the townhouse construction will be starting up soon?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Jmo77011

Default More condos?

Does anyone actually buy these homes? It seems like these developements have popped up all over the place, but especially in the Weirs and Meredith areas. For the most part, they look empty...and that's when the developments are actually finished!
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Channel Pirate

Angry "Smoke House" pun intended

Just add it to the collection of local run down, eye sore Baldi properties.
Channel Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
sa meredith

Default Weirs

I made a trip up to the lake Thurs/Frid...and noticed a few things, while heading over to Crazy Gringos.
I was surprised to see the burned out building just sitting there, untouched. What an eye sore.
The bbq type shop at the end of the Weirs Strip is gone after just one season. Building is now empty. Seems like a a pretty solid location.
There is real estate sign in the window of the place next door to Gringos (Paradise Club???). Wondering if they are folding up?
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Woodsy

SA...

The owner of the Paradise always puts it up for sale... but they will reopen in may.... same goes for Weirs the Beef. Tommy will be back from FL in a few weeks!

I dont think ANYTHING is going to happen at the Wide Open Saloon... rumor up here is they are still under investigation.... and the ins co hasnt paid out because of it.... but thats just hearsay!

Woodsy
Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
sa meredith

Default not WTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
SA...

The owner of the Paradise always puts it up for sale... but they will reopen in may.... same goes for Weirs the Beef. Tommy will be back from FL in a few weeks!

I dont think ANYTHING is going to happen at the Wide Open Saloon... rumor up here is they are still under investigation.... and the ins co hasnt paid out because of it.... but thats just hearsay!

Woodsy
No, no...WTB is still there, in the old store building.
I'm talking about the place where the roof collapsed a few years back. It was a pizza place for a bit, and last year it was a bbq type place. Just empty now.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
angela4design

Default News on Facebook...

There have been a few postings on Facebook...

Quote:
I know I havent been on here much...It's still hard. No progress yet, Although I do have a few ideas. Lots of meetings with insurance and contractors. Unforunatly I am grossly underinsured, so more than Likely I will not be able to rebuild as big as I would like. Trying to remain optimistic though !
October 11, 2010 at 2:36pm
Quote:
I am very sad to say that the Wide Open Saloon will not be open in time for the 2011 season. I Have not given up yet, but have hit many MANY bumps in my road to rebuild and recover from such a heart braking lose.
February 11 at 9:59am
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angela4design For This Useful Post:
crowsnest (03-28-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
No, no...WTB is still there, in the old store building.
I'm talking about the place where the roof collapsed a few years back. It was a pizza place for a bit, and last year it was a bbq type place. Just empty now.

Boy I hope they will open again. They had the best pulled pork burrito.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Here's some new construction happening at the Weirs area. Over on nearby Scenic Drive, just up the hill and beyond a trailer park about one half mile from the seasonally closed Weirs the Beef store, the www.meredithbaynh.com has been doing extensive earth moving and sitework all winter long. Looking in their website, they have a number of proposed two bedroom-three bathroom townhouses overlooking the waterfront at 629 Scenic Drive with asking price in the range of 500 to 600 thousand dollars.

The site is located on a Weirs Beach Scenic Drive hilltop site that used to be home to a well known restaurant years ago, so I have been told. It is situated between the Scenic Drive and the waterfront railroad tracks which is within the City of Laconia.

Last time I drove past about two weeks ago, they were drilling and doing sitework with some big earth moving Caterpillar machines, and none of the townhouse construction had been started. Probably, the townhouse construction will be starting up soon?
Not only a restaurant, it was a motel! Before they started work, you could actually in the concrete that there were strip motel units!

The new units will be kind of "cliff-hangers", as I imagine, having walked around several years ago. It used to be a nice stop/rest site, when bicycling the rail tracks with a "mountain-hybrid bike", mixed with side roads.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Winniboater81

IDK I live in the weirs, and the smokehouse used to busy years ago. In the last few years nobody goes there. This past summer, the place was a ghost town...weird how it burnt down after the summer...after they tried to make it work.
Winniboater81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
corollaman

Hope they do something with it soon, before bike week and the tourist season too. it's such an eyesore, just like most of the weirs. The whole weirs needs a makeover.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
crowsnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
Hope they do something with it soon, before bike week and the tourist season too. it's such an eyesore, just like most of the weirs. The whole weirs needs a makeover.
Maybe knock it down and put up a hot dog stand till they figure it out !
Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
no-engine

Quote:
Some recent snow made the roof in back cave in. More neglect.
Seems, as another wrote, Baldi family will figure a way!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
6meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniboater81 View Post
IDK I live in the weirs, and the smokehouse used to busy years ago. In the last few years nobody goes there. This past summer, the place was a ghost town...weird how it burnt down after the summer...after they tried to make it work.
I have to agree here. I used to be at the Smokehouse atleast one night per weekend. Friday and Saturday very busy. But with live entertainment. Went on a August saturday night last summer, three tables occupied outside and none inside, and I was one of them. No live entertainment due to the towns regulations on sprinkler systems or something.
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default To be torn down soon?

From LaDaSun:

Quote:
LACONIA — The city's code enforcement officer will ask the City Council for permission to order the demolition what's left of the Wide Open Saloon — a Weirs Beach landmark ravaged by fire last September.

Enforcement Officer Bill Stewart said Monday the statutory procedure for ordering the building's demolition begins with an order from the council. He said the owners have 20 days to either make demolition arrangements or petition against the order to Belknap County Superior Court.

Likewise, if the order is not challenged but still disobeyed, Stewart said the city would be forced into court.

"It is very unsafe and very dangerous," Stewart said, noting that the owners have surrounded the property with a fence.

According to City Manager Eileen Cabanel, city officials are especially concerned that the building will not be torn down before annual Motorcycle Week in June.

She said Fire Chief Ken Erickson has repeatedly made his concerns about safety of the building known and she gave the code enforcement officer the authority to contact the city attorney for directions to order its demolition.

His recommendations will be considered by the council on Monday night.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
Channel Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniboater81 View Post
Weird how the property is in his wifes name since the FRM scandal ?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #20
fatlazyless

Back in today's news, April 23 LaDaSun....something about the insurance claim denied by the insurance company and a lawsuit filed against the insurance company for denying the claim?
Old 04-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #21
Rusty

Quote:
Back in today's news, April 23 LaDaSun....something about the insurance claim denied by the insurance company and a lawsuit filed against the insurance company for denying the claim?
"The city code enforcement officer says the city still hopes the owners of the burned-out Wide Open Saloon at the foot of Lakeside Ave. at Weirs Beach will demolish the building but acknowledged yesterday that there are insurance issues that could slow the process."

Read the rest of the article here: The Laconia Daily Sun
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #22
crowsnest

Still Standing
Old 06-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #23
Woodsy

It will not be torn down before bike week unfortunately.... and with litigation who knows when it will come down! Its an eyesore to be sure! I wish the parties involved would have done the right thing for the community, alas that is not to be!

Woodsy
Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #24
Rusty

You can read the article in today's LDS

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #25
fatlazyless

So, what happens to the empty lot after the burnt out Wide Open Saloon gets demolished and leveled? Just across the intersection there's a large empty lot that used to be home to Karl's Fine Foods which burnt down in October, 2005.

It's my guess that it remains an empty lot that's is available for sale for a long time, just like Karl's, and still responsible for an expensive semi-annual property tax bill.

Would a bank make a loan for construction of a new hotel in that location? Would a successful chain like a Dunkin Donuts, KFC, or Walgreen want to build there? Who knows....maybe the answer is yes and a Dunkin would be interested? After it gets leveled.....then what happens.....probably nothing except for a posting a 'for sale' sign and Bike Week vendor space.

Are the three different commercial business electronic, brightly colored, moving signs, all located near the former Wide Open Saloon, a positive or a negative for that commercial area down at the 'malfunction junction?'
Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #26
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

From the Laconia Citizen (4/7/11)

Quote:
Weirs anxious to see building razed

LACONIA — As they get ready for what hopefully will be a successful 2011 tourist season, business owners in The Weirs are buoyed by the city's decision to seek the demolition of a burned-out building at the entrance to the resort area.

At next Monday's City Council meeting, Code Enforcement Officer Bill Stewart is expected to ask for permission to order that the Wide Open Saloon, which was heavily damaged in a three-alarm fire on Sept. 17, 2010 — be razed.

The building at 38 Endicott Street North is owned by Brandi Baldi, who was unavailable for comment on Wednesday.

Built in 1886 as the Aquedoktan Hotel, the saloon first catered to visitors who came to The Weirs for reunions of Civil War veterans. With 30 rooms, the Aquedoktan was among the largest in the area.

Before becoming the Wide Open Saloon in 2010, the property had been known as the Weirs Beach Smoke House and was a popular destination for visitors, especially during Bike Week.

For several years, the Smoke House and its former, late owner Deb Tumey held a reception before the annual lighting of the Weirs Beach sign across the street on Lakeside Avenue. The lighting of the sign marks the unofficial start of the tourist season.

That lighting won't take place this year, at least not until the Wide Open Saloon is leveled and the lot it sits on is cleared, said Tom Pucci, the president of the Weirs Action Committee, which annually sponsors the sign lighting ceremony and uses the opportunity to promote The Weirs.

With the hulk of the Wide Open Saloon looming from just across the street, the WAC will postpone the ceremony, or light up the sign without fanfare, said Pucci.

"We feel it is in appropriate to kick off a tourist season with that as a backdrop," he said, adding that several people who last year visited his business, the Grandview Motel and Cottages, "asked if that building was taken down."

"I do hope that the city can move swiftly. There's a groundswell of support for the city to hold a business accountable that is at the crossroads of our tourist season. It's just something that is a hazard and an attractive nuisance."

Fred Clausen, owner of Proctor's Lakehouse Cottages on Weirs Boulevard, echoed Pucci's sentiments.

"I'm very happy with the direction the city is taking," he said. "I wish it had been done sooner."

Ward 1 City Councilor Ava Doyle, who with her husband David owns and operates Sun Valley Cottages, agreed that "everybody is concerned why it (the Wide Open Saloon) is still there. It's one of the entrances to The Weirs and with summer coming, we always try to put our best foot forward and it's certainly not our best foot at the moment."

Doyle, whose district covers most of The Weirs, said she's had a fire in her own business and "I can certainly understand what's involved in demolition and repair," adding, however, that she was "out of the loop" as to what unique challenges Baldi may be facing.

While they look forward to improvements at the Wide Open Saloon site, Pucci and Clausen are also looking forward to their respective opening days. The Grandview will open for the season next week; Proctor's on May 12 in time for the Winnipesaukee Fishing Derby.

"I think we're going to have a terrific season as long as the weather cooperates," said Pucci. Inquiries and reservations have been coming in from the United Kingdom, France, Germany and from across the U.S., he said, adding that some have been drawn by new nearby attractions, including the "Monkey Trunks" high rope and zip line at Funspot and the wilderness adventure park at Gunstock Mountain Resort, both of which are expected to be online this season.

An additional race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway will also mean more visitors to The Weirs and the Lakes Region in general, said Pucci, who also thinks a New England-wide Mustang car show scheduled for the weekend after Labor Day will prove very successful.

Clausen said that after a "miserable" 2009, when the slumping economy hit his business the hardest, 2011 was shaping up to be incrementally better than 2010.

"We're about 10 percent ahead of last year's bookings which were about 10 percent ahead of the year before. It's looking like a good season, not a great season, but it's early."

Both Clausen and Pucci said that in addition to the weather, the other factor in whether they and their colleagues in the tourist trade have profitable seasons is the price of gasoline.

"People may come here and maybe not go further north," Clausen speculated with Pucci adding that "a lot of people do like that one-tank-of-gas-away vacation."

High gas prices several years ago prompted an increase in "stay-cations" — where people stayed at or close to home — and something similar could happen in 2011, said Pucci.

"Not that we're pleased to see the gas prices the way they are, but it's just a funny reaction. It could keep people from traveling greater distances."
Old image of the Aquedoktan Hotel

"The Aquedoktan, later known as The Eden Roc, became popular gathering spot for Weirs area businessmen as well as bands that played at Irwin's Winnipesaukee Gardens, including Duke Ellington, Lionel Hampton and Count Basie. The bands stayed right there and would often close the bar on Tuesday nights and be there when it reopened on Wednesday,” recalls Lawton."

More Pics click here....
http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/...ctanhotel.html

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
crowsnest (04-07-2011), Jonas Pilot (04-07-2011), Lakesrider (04-09-2011), MaidenCove07 (04-10-2011), moose tracks (08-17-2011), PapaDon (04-13-2011), SteveA (04-09-2011), VitaBene (04-13-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #27
ronc4424

The Laconia City Council last night ordered the building demolished by May 6th. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #28
PapaDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc4424 View Post
The Laconia City Council last night ordered the building demolished by May 6th. It will be interesting to see what happens.
I'll be surprised if it happens that soon...
PapaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #29
fatlazyless

Default ...a winner tee shirt!

Would this make for a good selling tee shirt and postcard or what? Transfer the photo from McDude's post #21 with the burning Wide Open Saloon onto a tee shirt and label it "Insurance Denied - Laconia 2011".

That must be the Laconia Fire Dept's new aerial tower truck in the foreground that is shooting water onto the building?

Looking at the historical photos, the hotel used to be a very well designed and gracious looking building........but not anymore!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-07-2011 at 05:48 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #30
Meredith lady

Default an eyesore for sure...

As an operator of a business in the Weirs, i personally think the owners of the Wide Open Saloon would be embarassed to have that building stand there for the summer 2011 season. Where is their loyalty to the rest of the Weirs community? The Weirs needs a face lift, we all agree on that. But being allowed to leave that building up is ridiculous. Just my opinion...
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #31
Wreckn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith lady View Post
As an operator of a business in the Weirs, i personally think the owners of the Wide Open Saloon would be embarassed to have that building stand there for the summer 2011 season. Where is their loyalty to the rest of the Weirs community? The Weirs needs a face lift, we all agree on that. But being allowed to leave that building up is ridiculous. Just my opinion...
I dont think they are "being allowed" to leave the building up. I think its more of a case where they didnt get the imsurance money and the whole thing with FRM, they were supposed to have it down by the 14th but there will be NO WAY that can happen with all the stuff that needs to be done (ie asbestos inspections, asbestos and hazmat abatement so on and so forth) believe me i want it down just as bad as everyone else and they have had PLENTY of time to do it but it doesnt look like they will. Sadly it looks like the city tax payers will be the ones to pay for it until the property has been sold
Wreckn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #32
fatlazyless

With that centrally located Wide Open Saloon right in the center of Bike Week, why don't they go get some tee shirts made up and sell them through an opening in their temporary chain link fence or something like that. At least they could start to get a little cash flow rolling in from their burnt-out business location which never hurts. Probably, it would be a good seller with fire fighters and insurance people!

A good rendition of the Wide Open Saloon fire photo (post #21) above labelled INSURANCE DENIED - LACONIA 2011 would probably be a good selling tee shirt. You know there's a quality tee shirt maker just up in North Woodstock, NH on Route 3 www.rushordertees.com.

Why not.....what the heck......between losing with FRM in Meredith and the fire last September in Laconia with the insurance denied.....the luck has got to change for the better.....and these fire-photo-Laconia Tee Shirts could become a very hot item!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #33
LongBay

Default The slow decay of the Weirs

Fatlazyless, I wouldn't count on any corporate capital coming to the Weirs. Wallgreens, CVS, Dunkin Donuts and Marriott all went to the other end of town. I have seen the slow decay of the Weirs over the past thirty years. Maybe those WOW trail fundraisers can pitch in and donate some of their money to re-build the Weirs rather than tear down trees, fill in wetlands and lay down pavement and chain link fences for a trail going to nowhere.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #34
Channel Pirate

Default Breaking update !

Still there ! Memorial Day, Bike Week, 4th July, and now NASCAR weekend.
Don't want to add Labor Day and the September Nascar race to this list ?

I just wanted to post somthing on this thread so it would apear on the front page of the board again.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #35
fatlazyless

So, where is the friendly insurance company happy to show up with a great big bucket loaded full of hundred dollar bills that will power up a construction crew, all through this winter, to rebuild the fire damaged Wide Open Saloon building?

Here's hoping that Brandi & friends are able to convince a judge somewhere in a NH courtroom, that her insurance claim is strictly legit, and Lloyd's of London will do what they do best, pay out the insurance money. Best wishes for a successfull lawsuit!

Weirs Beach - Wide Open Saloon location: Possible outcomes ????

Possibility #1) The City of Laconia pays to have the fire damaged lot levelled, and the lot remains an undeveloped empty lot, similar to Karl's Fine Food, for the next five years or longer !

Possibility #2) Insurance money is put to work reconstructing the Wide Open Saloon, and it is back in business for next MC-Week with 4 O'Clock, Happy Hour, two-dollar Sam Adams beers!

Possibility #3) The City of Laconia gets court approval to demolish the fire damaged building and orders it to be leveled, despite the insurance co prevailing in court and having its denied claim upheld so there is no insurance money paid out.

Possibility #4) Cannot think of something intelligent to say here but without a doubt something could happen there that was unpredictable......at least to the casual observer? Truth can be stranger than fiction!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-14-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #36
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default SouthDown Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
Fatlazyless, I wouldn't count on any corporate capital coming to the Weirs. Wallgreens, CVS, Dunkin Donuts and Marriott all went to the other end of town. I have seen the slow decay of the Weirs over the past thirty years. Maybe those WOW trail fundraisers can pitch in and donate some of their money to re-build the Weirs rather than tear down trees, fill in wetlands and lay down pavement and chain link fences for a trail going to nowhere.
Guess the folks at 'Yuppieville' have the last say on the WOW Trail. NOT ON MY BACKYARD!
Belmont Resident (04-27-2012)
Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #37
fatlazyless

What the boardwalk area at Weirs Beach has is an elevated lakefront outlook public area that is probably the #1 best spot like that on the entire lake. The boardwalk is beautifull and is elevated about 25' above the water level and has a real impressive view of the water and surrounds, plus it is just a short walk to the town docks, town beach, arcades, Mount Washington, and food venues.

Running a WOW Trail route along side the boardwalk would put Weirs Beach right in the middle of a nine mile waterfront bicycle trail that could attract bicycle visiters whenever there's no snow on the trail, like from March to December or something. That would be very good for Weirs Beach as a tourist type location! That would create a waterfront, 9-mile long, flat level bicycle pedal path on what is now a state owned railroad track embankment, that gets just a little bit of summertime tourist railroad use.

Stimilus funding played a big part in building the first mile #1 from Lakeport to Lake Opeechee, so it's pretty safe to assume that the strong local WOW Trail support plus Obama's second term in office will all roll along together to get the WOW Trail built out from Meredith to Weirs Beach to Laconia to Belmont and beyond.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #38
AC2717

Quote:
What the boardwalk area at Weirs Beach has is an elevated lakefront outlook public area that is probably the #1 best spot like that on the entire lake. The boardwalk is beautifull and is elevated about 25' above the water level and has a real impressive view of the water and surrounds, plus it is just a short walk to the town docks, town beach, arcades, Mount Washington, and food venues.

Running a WOW Trail route along side the boardwalk would put Weirs Beach right in the middle of a nine mile waterfront bicycle trail that could attract bicycle visiters whenever there's no snow on the trail, like from March to December or something. That would be very good for Weirs Beach as a tourist type location! That would create a waterfront, 9-mile long, flat level bicycle pedal path on what is now a state owned railroad track embankment, that gets just a little bit of summertime tourist railroad use.

Stimilus funding played a big part in building the first mile #1 from Lakeport to Lake Opeechee, so it's pretty safe to assume that the strong local WOW Trail support plus Obama's second term in office will all roll along together to get the WOW Trail built out from Meredith to Weirs Beach to Laconia to Belmont and beyond.
yeah I am sure all the people that are lake front that have the train embankment through their property want people and the added foot traffic to their land. (trian aside of course) Then all those people stopping to take breaks on their land, the trash that might be left there and the noise during the night of kids and people walking talking and biking up and down their property, not to mention that snow mobilers (not that I am against snow mobiles) would probably use it like the tracks now

Just think of that whole beautiful semi private property that people paid from between the Weirs and Meredith having to put up with that stuff, yeah that is fair to them,
what a joke

oh yeah with the fence requirement now these people with right away access on the water, would now have to hop over a fence on each side of the trail, yeah talk about beautification, my foot!

Last edited by AC2717; 07-15-2011 at 11:26 AM.
AC2717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #39
fatlazyless

www.wowtrail.com .....what's not to like!....probably the best thing to happen to the Weirs since the sandy beach was created in the 1960's! Once the WOW Trail is built, everyone will say: Buoy, this is one fantastic WOW Trail.........like wow!

Have you taken the WOW Trail voter-poll? How will you be using the WOW Trail?

Just picture yourself pedaling the WOW Trail, back and forth for 15-miles on a hot summer's day, and then stopping for a two dollar, Happy Hour - Sam Adams at the newly rebuilt Wide Open Saloon which is directly along the trail there. Like wow!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #40
onthebay

Default WOW Trail

Take down the stupid requirement from the state for a 5 foot chain link fence along the trail and maybe I would not oppose it.
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onthebay For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-15-2011), VitaBene (08-14-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #41
fatlazyless

At the bottom of www.wowtrail.com, under Design and Safety, it says the fence is four feet high and would have a six inch space below it to accomodate the chipmunks and squirrels and small animals, so not sure if that means a total height of four or 4 1/2'.

Having that ugly chainlink fence is a huge challenge, and cannot expect any waterfront property owner to want to live with that interrupting their view. The 4' chainlink fence is a big NO-GO so maybe they want to go with those grey granite rectangular cobble blocks set into concrete and about six inches high to create an attractive grey granite border as opposed to a fence.

And, the Wide Open Saloon can run a special: For just ten dollars, you get a Sam Adams beer and a tax deductable receipt showing you just paid for one granite cobble-block!

www.jlfstone.com/cobblestone.html
www.swensongranite.com
Old 07-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #42
AC2717

Quote:
At the bottom of www.wowtrail.com, it says the fence is four feet high and would have a six inch space below it to accomodate the chipmunks and squirrels and small animals, so not sure if that means a total height of four or 4 1/2'.

Having that ugly fence is a huge challenge, and cannot expect any waterfront property owner to want to live with that interupting their view. The 4' chainlink fence is a big NO-GO so maybe they want to go with those grey granite rectangular cobble blocks set into concrete and about six inches high.
nothing against you FLL, but yeah I should care more about the chipmunks so they will not be inconvience, again not directing to you FLL but the wonderful people proposing this and the State,
Not to mention all the leave and tree debris that would be caught up on the fence every year and now all the added costs to maintain it, but the chipmunks can get back and fourth and that is what they care about

sorry this thing just gets me heated and my property is not even affected by this thing
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #43
fatlazyless

Page 17 of today's July 21 LaDaSun has a report on the legal back & forth going on between Brandi and her insurance provider, Lloyd's of London. It's pretty complicated stuff ...(?): "In court filing, insurance company claims Baldi didn't meet fire prevention standards of her policy." ...is the title of the article.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #44
fatlazyless

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/story...de-open-saloon

Surprise....this link actually works....now I think I'll go read the article and try to think of something to say that is both intelligent and relevant! Like wow!

Roll down to page nine, and there's a close-up photo of the burned building taken from an airplane.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #45
flyguy

Default Wide Open (Saloon) to the weather!

That would be this one:
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flyguy For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (08-17-2011), Jonas Pilot (08-17-2011), moose tracks (08-17-2011), Pepper (08-17-2011)
Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #46
Lin

My mom's family summered in Laconia quite a bit from the 1920's on before moving to Moultonborough. In fact my aunt (relative of M/S Mt Washington Capt Avery) was raised in Laconia and her mom had property adjacent to the lake just north of the Weirs. I've always been told that there was a public access path along the lake there in front of the houses years ago, so a bike trail wouldn't be much different along the RR tracks. Mom is in a nursing home now and I'd have to go through dozens of photo albums but i'm pretty sure there is a photo of the lakeshore path. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?p=15574
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
yeah I am sure all the people that are lake front that have the train embankment through their property want people and the added foot traffic to their land. (trian aside of course) Then all those people stopping to take breaks on their land, the trash that might be left there and the noise during the night of kids and people walking talking and biking up and down their property, not to mention that snow mobilers (not that I am against snow mobiles) would probably use it like the tracks now

Just think of that whole beautiful semi private property that people paid from between the Weirs and Meredith having to put up with that stuff, yeah that is fair to them,
what a joke

oh yeah with the fence requirement now these people with right away access on the water, would now have to hop over a fence on each side of the trail, yeah talk about beautification, my foot!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #47
Belmont Resident

Default wow

Quote:

what a joke

kinda like living in Boston hu?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #48
AC2717

Belmont Resident
why are you pulling one of my posts from another thread, the one on the walkway form laconia center to meredith

That is a different subject. This is about the weirs boardwalk area, not residential land that the city wants to take to make a walkway/bike path.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #49
Belmont Resident

Default twas a joke

Quote:
Belmont Resident
why are you pulling one of my posts from another thread, the one on the walkway form laconia center to meredith

That is a different subject. This is about the weirs boardwalk area, not residential land that the city wants to take to make a walkway/bike path.
It was just a joke. But from what I understand when the Southdown concept plan was put forth way back when, there was suppose to be a bike/walk path through the area but it was never built.
Personally I do not care either way; if it is built I would use it to ride or roller blade on.
If it doesn’t get built it won’t bother me either. Personally I would never use someone else’s property to relax on, but I do see your point.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #50
AC2717

No worries then, sometimes tough for me to read expressions over the computer
Belmont Resident (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #51
Belmont Resident

Default Ya the trails a tough one

Quote:
No worries then, sometimes tough for me to read expressions over the computer
I've done quite a bit of work on Southdown and have met a lot of pro and con to the trail. Me I don't care either way weather it happens or not, if it is there I might use it. I'd prefer to MTN bike in the woods not the pavement.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #52
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
Does anyone know if they did anything with the burt saloon or have any plans for it. I hope they rebuild or knock it down before tourist season starts this year !
It looks like it has been demolished
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #53
meredith weekender

Went by this morning and it is a pile of rubble. Thanks to the Baldi family for stepping up to the p,ate and taking this down. Wishing them luck with future plans for the property. A casino sounds good to me.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #54
SIKSUKR

I would call it more like being dragged to the plate kicking and screamimg.Hardly worth a thank you.
Billy Bob (09-19-2012), CGI3 (09-15-2012), nicole (09-10-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (09-13-2012), Sunset View (09-21-2012), Winnigirl (09-10-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #55
corollaman

Default Good Riddance!

It's about time! So glad that dump is finally gone! They should just sell the land, or use it for Bike Week space. The Weirs could definitely use more parking too.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #56
LongBay

Default Be careful for what you wish for...

Quote:
...The Weirs could definitely use more parking too.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
-joni mitchell
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #57
Altonbayicefishingfool

They should have just let the fire dept. use it as training and burn it to the pavement.. Would have been a lot easier.. Been driving by that dump twice a day for a year and a half.. What an eye sore! Place your bets now on what will be there next summer, I'm guessing prime vendor space @ bike week and parking the rest of the summer..
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #58
Shore Driver

I always enjoyed sitting on that patio at night. It's a unique spot to watch the world go by at the Weirs. Hoping they rebuild it - the Weirs needs something there besides parking.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shore Driver For This Useful Post:
evergreenenvious (09-15-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #59
AC2717

another great strolling area would be best, a u or l shapped building with Restaurants and boutiques would be awesome with some parking in the middle. That way you could keep the honkeytonk of the weirs and also give a little meredith type flavor. LIke a outdoor bistro, and at night a dueling piano bar and grill and then some shops

This would be awesome and a way to increase business in laconia and the weirs without a total redesign

how cool to get off the boat walk down the board walk and the beach across the street to something like that
Jonas Pilot (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #60
fatlazyless

Methinks it will probably just become a vacant commercial lot with a sign FOR SALE similar to the one across the road there......former home to Karl's Fine Food restaurant which burnt down maybe eight years ago. The new Malfunction Junction will have a very nice new roundabout with a decorative garden in the center that's tended by volunteer gardeners, and these two vacant commercial lots on either side of it .......nice! ....that location is very seasonal for most businesses .... but not all?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #61
evergreenenvious

Sad all that that family has been throw in the last few years, But they are Strong Good People and I am Positive they will keep moving forward and I hope they can rebuild something in the future
evergreenenvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #62
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreenenvious View Post
Sad all that that family has been throw in the last few years, But they are Strong Good People and I am Positive they will keep moving forward and I hope they can rebuild something in the future
OK, I give up.

What family are you talking about?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (09-18-2012), brk-lnt (09-17-2012), CGI3 (09-17-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #63
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
OK, I give up.

Funny ................
Old 09-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #64
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
OK, I give up.

Ya really, I don't think anyone around here has ANY sympathy for the Baldi family. We have not nor will we revisit their drive-in or any other establishment owned by them.
nicole (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #65
RailroadJoe

Has the trash from the building been removed yet or is still lingeing ?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #66
AC2717

as of Sunday morning, the pile of rubble was still there
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #67
no-engine

Quote:
as of Sunday morning, the pile of rubble was still there
TODAY, at 5:45pm Tuesday 18 September 2012, the rubble has NOT BEEN TOUCHED, for a few days.
Somebody ought to make a "midnight" raid and make the sign fall down.
They must be doing that to spite everyone!
I get sick literally, as I drive by the sign.
I don't think the reported agreement has been followed: removing the rubble to an empty lot at the ground level, as I recall.

Another note: The roundabout traffic pattern is different, and an outline is taking shape. The temp traffic is partially on the burned Karl's sight.
Kinda interesting to observe the changes.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #68
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Ya really, I don't think anyone around here has ANY sympathy for the Baldi family. We have not nor will we revisit their drive-in or any other establishment owned by them.
Well I do and I will continue to visit their Establishments.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #69
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Well I do and I will continue to visit their Establishments.
Evergreen from reading your posts, one can assume that in some way you are connected with the family and not just a concerned resident or tourist.

As to your reply to Sunset View I would say that YOU are by definition the ignorant one and in a minority of one supporting the Baldi clan.

While I believe this subject has been way over beaten to death on this forum the fact still remains that the owners have done everything they could to make the Weirs look worse then the eyesore it already is without the burned out building.
For you to support them can only mean that you are in some way connected to the family.
If you are connected then maybe you could ask them to throw a few dollars at that rat infested thing they call a drive-in theater!
Resident 2B (09-26-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #70
Sunset View

Quote:
I agree; I just hope it's in Mexico City!
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #71
Winnisquamguy

Default Article from LDS

LACONIA — The City Council last night agreed that if the debris remaining from the demolition of the Wide Open Saloon at Weirs Beach has not been emoted from the site by October 1, City Manager Scott Myers should seek an order from Belknap County Superior Court authorizing the city to clear the site and place a lien on the property to recover its costs.
"What is sitting there is not a whole better than what was standing there," City Manager Scott Myers old the City Council last night. "I share your frustration and citizens' frustration, " he continued, adding that "I prefer it can worked out amicably."
Myers told the councilors that the agreement between the city and Brandi Baldi, the principal of 38 Endicott Street North, LLC, the owner of the property, stipulated that the demolition would be complete and the debris removed by September 12. He said that attorneys representing both parties have met, but there has been no sign of activity on the property.
On September 17, 2010 the building was severely damaged by fire. In the two years that followed its charred remains cast a pall over The Weirs while Baldi pursued various strands of litigation, including a suit against her insurance carrier. Ultimately the city and Baldi reached a settlement and earlier this month the building was finally knocked down.
As part of the settlement the city agreed that once the demolition is complete, the property owner will have one year to make a good faith effort, which could amount to filing a site plan or pulling a building permit, to rebuild on the same footprint, without being bound by changes in the zoning ordinance enacted since the original building was constructed.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...debris-remains
Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #72
Resident 2B

When I was up for the weekend, I expected to see a clean lot. All I saw was a pile of burnt wood and other demolition debris. It was supposed to be cleared by September 12th.

What kind of people are these people? They seem to think they can ignore orders and agreements and do whatever they want, whenever they want. No excuse for the crap all of us with property in the area have had to put up with from these folks.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #73
CL 240 LS

There was some activity at the domolition site this morning when I passed by. Looked like an excavator was picking at the the debris. Could not see if they were loading trucks as the pile was blocking the view.

There was also concrete workers at the new roundabout.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CL 240 LS For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #74
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View View Post
I agree; I just hope it's in Mexico City!
why should they pick up and move their whole life and family, away from family and friends just to please a bunch of ignorant people. I hope they rebuild and are better than ever, give you something else to talk about
Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #75
Resident 2B

Quote:
why should they pick up and move their whole life and family, away from family and friends just to please a bunch of ignorant people. I hope they rebuild and are better than ever, give you something else to talk about
I also hope they rebuild and I also hope what they rebuild looks nice and is a successful business. That said, I believe you are way out of touch with both reality and the majority of the people who live or own property and businesses near the Weirs. We have put up with that eyesore for two years. I feel all involved have given these folks way too much time to clean up this mess.

Good luck with your very small support group.

R2B
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (09-26-2012), idoso (09-26-2012), Jeanzb1 (09-26-2012), RailroadJoe (09-26-2012), Winnigirl (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #76
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
The ignorant one here has to be you thinking its okay to take more than 2 years to take a building down after losing every battle...They finally decide to tear it down only to leave a pile of rumble for a few more weeks. I hope the city's planning board puts them through the ringer when it comes time for them to finally rebuild.
Resident 2B (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #77
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
The ignorant one here has to be you thinking its okay to take more than 2 years to take a building down after losing every battle...They finally decide to tear it down only to leave a pile of rumble for a few more weeks. I hope the city's planning board puts them through the ringer when it comes time for them to finally rebuild.
The RUBBLE includes the silly unprofessional sign.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #78
Heaven

I am not involved in any way, but I could understand if there were a number of issues that most posters are not aware of that the Baldis needed to consider. There are a number of property right issues involved and it is the American way to allow the property owner to expend all available alternatives before having any of the value of their property diminished. It is not necessarily their fault that those processes took years. It is unfair to wish hardship on them (being screwed by the planning board for instance) for defending their property rights in (what appears to me) to be the available manner.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
evergreenenvious (09-26-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #79
John A. Birdsall

Default information

Does anyone know that email address for shipshape in Gilford?
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #80
Tagdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
Does anyone know that email address for shipshape in Gilford?
shipshape@metrocast.net
Tagdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #81
PaugusBayFireFighter

Same old stuff at the saloon. A few construction vehicles. A backhoe, bobcat, trailer. No workers or any activity. The main floor is still there.
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #82
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Same old stuff at the saloon. A few construction vehicles. A backhoe, bobcat, trailer. No workers or any activity. The main floor is still there.
Thanks for the picture.

I like the new open air concept of the Saloon.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #83
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Still not cleaned up...

...but it certainly is Wide Open now!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #84
evergreenenvious

Quote:
it looks down to me. it was posted the 20th just a few days before thanksgiving, I wouldnt be working on it either. There are no trespassing signs at the drive in. i wouldnt be taking pictures there.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #85
Resident 2B

Quote:
i wouldnt be taking pictures there.
Why not if the pictures can be taken without going onto the property?

R2B
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
evergreenenvious (11-29-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #86
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
it looks down to me. it was posted the 20th just a few days before thanksgiving, I wouldnt be working on it either. There are no trespassing signs at the drive in. i wouldnt be taking pictures there.
Doubt trespassing could be legally enforced.

What are the legal requirements for posting property?

Under state law (RSA 635:4), the legal manner of posting calls for posting durable signs with any words describing the physical activity prohibited, such as "No Hunting or Trespassing," in letters at least 2 inches high, and with the owner's name and address. The signs may be no further than 100 yards apart on all sides of the property and shall also be posted at gates, bars and all commonly used entrances.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #87
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Oooooooo...the restricted toilet saloon and vaudeville era drive-in property...wouldn't dare want to trespass on such hallowed ground. I was with a friend who thought the ticket booths at the drive-in entrance were outhouses for the construction people...
BTW...There are fences around the White House and The Pentagon...but you can still take pictures of them.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #88
fatlazyless

When the www.wowtrail.org gets built through there in a year or two or three or four or five or six or seven or eight or whenever, it seems like the trail could be passing down the alley that's between the wide open saloon lot and the drive-in movie lot.

There must be some use for the wide open commercial lot that would support a year round business as opposed to just a summer seasonal business. Maybe a Dunkin Donuts with a drive thru lane, or maybe a new local branch for the Meredith Village Savings Bank with a drive thru lane that offers a free temporary tattoo while u-do-ur-banking? No......probably much easier just to leave it a vacant lot.....that goes beer tent-vender space for 9-days in the middle of June every year!

...say-hey....how's about a stripper club with a liquor license, and maybe on Tuesday nites, it could be amateur nite where anyone who wants, could get the opportunity to present their not-too-practised choreography, enhanced by the on-site stripper atmosphere; .....u-know.....the stage, lighting and vertical 2" diameter, polished brass bar ..... it would easily attract some locals who slither out of the house for a couple hours of Tuesday nite independance ....... who just need somewhere to go ...... you know that's actually an EXCELLENT year round use for that vacant commercial lot! There are just not too many stripper clubs in the area......probably not even one? That is what would work in that spot.......a stripper club with Bud lite going for five dollars per glass......yes!....most definately....the highest & best use for that location.....and if I were choosing a name for this new stripper-bar......."Brandy's" ....... would be a good, easy-to-remember name!

....say-hey....u-doing-anything tonite......what-say we head over to Brandys tonite......and go see what's shak'n?

...do you think YOU might go....just to check it out......NO.....no-way.......not a chance!(?)

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-28-2012 at 04:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (11-28-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #89
evergreenenvious

Quote:
When the www.wowtrail.org gets built through there in a year or two or three or four or five or six or seven or eight or whenever, it seems like the trail could be passing down the alley that's between the wide open saloon lot and the drive-in movie lot.

There must be some use for the wide open commercial lot that would support a year round business as opposed to just a summer seasonal business. Maybe a Dunkin Donuts with a drive thru lane, or maybe a new local branch for the Meredith Village Savings Bank with a drive thru lane that offers a free temporary tattoo while u-do-ur-banking? No......probably much easier just to leave it a vacant lot.....that goes beer tent-vender space for 9-days in the middle of June every year!

...say-hey....how's about a stripper club with a liquor license, and maybe on Tuesday nites, it could be amateur nite where anyone who wants, could get the opportunity to present their not-too-practised choreography, enhanced by the on-site stripper atmosphere; .....u-know.....the stage, lighting and vertical 2" diameter, polished brass bar ..... it would easily attract some locals who slither out of the house for a couple hours of Tuesday nite independance ....... who just need somewhere to go ...... you know that's actually an EXCELLENT year round use for that vacant commercial lot! There are just not too many stripper clubs in the area......probably not even one? That is what would work in that spot.......a stripper club with Bud lite going for five dollars per glass......yes!....most definately....the highest & best use for that location.....and if I were choosing a name for this new stripper-bar......."Brandy's" ....... would be a good, easy-to-remember name!

....say-hey....u-doing-anything tonite......what-say we head over to Brandys tonite......and go see what's shak'n?

...do you think YOU might go....just to check it out......NO.....no-way.......not a chance!(?)
The alley way? between the wide open and the drive inn? you mean the drive way that leads to the parking lot for the wide open? and yes I would go to BRANDIS place if they rebuilt, the restaurant was doing good and i hope they can rebuild. even without the support of the community
Old 11-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #90
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Oooooooo...the restricted toilet saloon and vaudeville era drive-in property...wouldn't dare want to trespass on such hallowed ground. I was with a friend who thought the ticket booths at the drive-in entrance were outhouses for the construction people...
BTW...There are fences around the White House and The Pentagon...but you can still take pictures of them.
OOOo disrespectful much, and yes you take pictures outside the fences, this picture was clearly taken inside the drive in. and for the people that do live behind the drive in they may find those signs useful. there are houses up there ya know. people that are NOT associated with the family ( other than owning homes on the land) that live there
Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #91
Belmont Resident

Quote:
OOOo disrespectful much, and yes you take pictures outside the fences, this picture was clearly taken inside the drive in. and for the people that do live behind the drive in they may find those signs useful. there are houses up there ya know. people that are NOT associated with the family ( other than owning homes on the land) that live there
I think he is correct, as many have stated the properties talked about including the drive in look like a dump.
I seriously doubt that anyone who lives here is going to go around promoting the Weirs Drive-in as a great place to take the family. On the contrary like many other places in the lakes region if it were not for those who flood into town during the summer months the drive-in would have been long gone years ago.
Weather you like to hear it or not the owners of the now torn down building and the Weirs drive-in are a scab on this area. The sad thing is that the drive-in could be so much more and possibly attract so much more business to the area if it was.
brk-lnt (11-29-2012), idoso (11-29-2012), Resident 2B (11-29-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #92
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I think he is correct, as many have stated the properties talked about including the drive in look like a dump.
I seriously doubt that anyone who lives here is going to go around promoting the Weirs Drive-in as a great place to take the family. On the contrary like many other places in the lakes region if it were not for those who flood into town during the summer months the drive-in would have been long gone years ago.
Weather you like to hear it or not the owners of the now torn down building and the Weirs drive-in are a scab on this area. The sad thing is that the drive-in could be so much more and possibly attract so much more business to the area if it was.
Im sorry so the families that live up there, live in dumps? what is wrong with you people. those "dumps" are someone home. where they live with their familes. Im hope they dont read the crap you people post on here, hard working people that are lucky to have a home at all. wow, disgusting and by the way, and I have family that lives up in those houses, and trailers and they are far from dumps, they are nice family homes, I would be more than happy to live in.
The Following User Says Thank You to evergreenenvious For This Useful Post:
This'nThat (03-07-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #93
Winnisquamguy

Just saw this on there Facebook page. Guess its going to be pretty busy place for bike week.
http://www.yourbikeweek.com/Home.html
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #94
Heaven

Quote:
To see a more detailed list of entertainment, contests, and events going on at Laconia Bike Week visit our events page.
. . . don't they need special permitting for some of these activities?
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #95
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
. . . don't they need special permitting for some of these activities?
Yes you are correct but Laconia hands them out like candy. That is where they make all their money.You will start to see them in the newspaper who applied for what and how much they have to pay.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #96
MaidenCove07

Default What's with the Drive-In Haters

I've been summering at the Weirs my whole life and missed a drive-in movie only about a handful of years.
We look forward to it and do it more and more often lately. Pack a cooler with all your favorite snacks and adult beverages and tailgate for a flick - it's a ball.
Sadly, the family name associated with the other property is the same so the bashing continues...? Kinda sad!
I hope the Drive-In remains, yes it could be spruced up a bit, but to what end, so they have to charge $10 a person.
Looking forward to my traditional flick - Hunger Games Part 2 would be fun.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote