Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
Peter

Default Father John's Pub - Wolfeboro

Does anyone else remember Father John's Pub in Wolfeboro? I really enjoyed their pizza as a kid back in the 80's. I have fond memories of going there with my grandmother and always laughing that it was the one place where she would order a beer with her pizza (Grandma!).

Though other pizza places have come and gone, I've never found a good sit down pizza place in Wolfeboro since.

Also miss going off to Hatch theater for a movie afterwards or bowling a few games at the alley in Wolfeboro. Ahhh youth!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
Lakepilot

I remember all three. I liked Father John's Pub but don't remember what I usually ordered.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Senter Cove Guy

Default Beer Cans, etc.

I've often wondered what happened to the extensive beer can collection that used to adorn the walls of Father John's Pub.

I too, miss the Hatch Theatre. Paul Hatch had a quirk. He "collected" $50 bills. I know this because I once paid for admission with a $50 and he told me about his collection.

I can't remember where the Wolfeboro Bowling Alley used to be but I bowled many duck pin games at Strikers Haven in Melvin Village.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Peter

I remember bowling in Melvin Village also. The Wolfeboro bowling alley was right near the liquor store. I forgot about all the beer cans! Good memory!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
WJT2

They had great steamers. From Alton Bay to Back Bay and a short walk . Good Times.
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
old coot
Deceased Member

Wolfeboro restauranteurs, Fred and Mary Warren (who once ran the Bubble and Warren's Den) bought the old Wolfeboro Cafe and upgraded and renovated it and then opened it as Father John's Pub. Father John was a race horse and the pub's ceiling panels were an attractive decoupage made of many hundreds of Freddie Warren's old horse racing stubs. I almost think that the beer can collection had belonged to Ted Newman and was on loan.
The Warrens sold out to the Haydens who ran the pub for many additional years.
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by old coot View Post
Wolfeboro restauranteurs, Fred and Mary Warren (who once ran the Bubble and Warren's Den) bought the old Wolfeboro Cafe and upgraded and renovated it and then opened it as Father John's Pub. Father John was a race horse and the pub's ceiling panels were an attractive decoupage made of many hundreds of Freddie Warren's old horse racing stubs. I almost think that the beer can collection had belonged to Ted Newman and was on loan.
The Warrens sold out to the Haydens who ran the pub for many additional years.
Ah the Wolfeboro Cafe, know to locals as "the beer joint".
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

more on the pub.... http://wolfeboro.forumcab.com/viewtopic.php?t=1546&sid=abd8c2aa0dd7de5542e4d48e39b248ab

Quote:
The "Million Dollar Ceiling" in Father John's Pub was the handiwork of Freddie Warren, the pub's creator and owner. The pub's entire ceiling was a well done decoupage that consisted of tiny horse betting stubs from all the horses that Freddie had bet on throughout the years. He had kept all his losing tickets. The ceiling represented a tremendous amount of work (and money) and was an attractive novelty. The pub itself took its name from one of the race horses Freddie had bet on; Father John. Freddie Warren and his wife Mary were hard working restauranteurs and had several successful restaurants in Wolfeboro including Father John's Pub and Warren's Den.
Quote:
It's down on Lehner Street, it used to be the Wolfeboro Café. Now it's called Mise En Place.
Quote:
I used to work there for the Haymens. I wish I knew where all that interior went to. It was fabulous! The ciounters and tables, walls, everything was decorated with beer labels and beer cans. It was a fantastic example of obsessive folk art. Loved it!
Quote:
The Warren's opened Father John's Pub in 1972. I'm not sure when it transitioned to the Haymens or how long the Haymens ran it.

Last edited by mcdude; 11-18-2011 at 06:35 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (11-18-2011), KPW (11-22-2011)