Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
Downeast

Default propane company.. lots to choose from

Hi, im guessing propane service .. Eastern, Dead River, Stafford..Rhymes are all competitive in regards to price?.

It does change when more is purchased I think..

What is the most widely used service for center harbor and meredith?

Im Looking to set up service with an outfit.. Thanks
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeast View Post
Hi, im guessing propane service .. Eastern, Dead River, Stafford..Rhymes are all competitive in regards to price?.

It does change when more is purchased I think..

What is the most widely used service for center harbor and meredith?

Im Looking to set up service with an outfit.. Thanks
We use Rymes for both oil and propane. So far pricing has been very fair and service has been top notch...

Dan
Old 08-31-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Thumbs up Dead River

I have used Irving, Eastern and Dead River over the years and so far I have liked Dead River the best for service and price
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Doobs41378

I am not sure if you go on the "I boat on Lake Winnipesaukee" Facebook page as this was just discussed. Apparently Rymes Oil was not seen in the most positive light by most experiences but I have no experiences with them myself.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:36 AM   #5
jacka82942

Smile white mountain

white mountain propane out of north conway. great service and prices. they will match another quote
jacka82942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
TheProfessor

Stay away from Amerigas.

Energy North pulled a fast one one year. They sent out technicians in the Summer to "check" all furnaces. Came up with a "report" that stated that my home furnace was too old and needed replacement. Used words such as "safety" and such. Energy North has since stopped that practice. But how many were conned into a new furnace.
That was 10 years ago and that same furnace is still running properly with zero breakdowns.

Rymes offered me a set price if I switched companies. Well after switching tanks - the next delivery - the price went way up. So much for Rymes.

Prices of propane. All companies have all sorts of tiers. Goes by usage.

Presently, I have Eastern. For the past few years Eastern has kept prices very competitive.

There is also a cooperative that you can buy into. Those that use it seem to love it.

You don't state how old your furnace is. The newer ones use some sort of igniting feature. Mine has a Silicon Carbide Igniter. This type will deteriorate with time and moisture. I replace my igniter every year.
The old furnaces had a standing pilot. On that one I changed the thermocouple every 3 years. Basically the only part that can go bad on the older standing pilot furnaces.

And note: One time decades ago (different home) - I got no heat.
Repair person came and checked everything. Stated that I needed a new furnace. Checked and checked and checked. I was there with repair person.
Going to come the next day and install a new furnace for $3,000 the next day.

But before repair person left I (me) asked if he could check the thermostat. He did. The thermostat was defective. Replaced the thermostat and furnace runs fine.
Go figure.

I assume all are honest and knowledgeable. Do you?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
TheProfessor

Also.
I have my propane furnaces checked every Summer.

I use:

Christian Repair
33 Morrison Ave, Tilton, NH 03276
(603) 455-5438
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Stay away from Amerigas.

Energy North pulled a fast one one year. They sent out technicians in the Summer to "check" all furnaces. Came up with a "report" that stated that my home furnace was too old and needed replacement. Used words such as "safety" and such. Energy North has since stopped that practice. But how many were conned into a new furnace.
That was 10 years ago and that same furnace is still running properly with zero breakdowns.

Rymes offered me a set price if I switched companies. Well after switching tanks - the next delivery - the price went way up. So much for Rymes.

Prices of propane. All companies have all sorts of tiers. Goes by usage.

Presently, I have Eastern. For the past few years Eastern has kept prices very competitive.

There is also a cooperative that you can buy into. Those that use it seem to love it.

You don't state how old your furnace is. The newer ones use some sort of igniting feature. Mine has a Silicon Carbide Igniter. This type will deteriorate with time and moisture. I replace my igniter every year.
The old furnaces had a standing pilot. On that one I changed the thermocouple every 3 years. Basically the only part that can go bad on the older standing pilot furnaces.

And note: One time decades ago (different home) - I got no heat.
Repair person came and checked everything. Stated that I needed a new furnace. Checked and checked and checked. I was there with repair person.
Going to come the next day and install a new furnace for $3,000 the next day.

But before repair person left I (me) asked if he could check the thermostat. He did. The thermostat was defective. Replaced the thermostat and furnace runs fine.
Go figure.

I assume all are honest and knowledgeable. Do you?
Why stay away from Amerigas service, price?? Suissevale usually gets a "group rate" from them and it's been pretty competitive in the past. Last winter I called a few places (some mentioned in this thread) and nobody could touch the rate my family was paying through the assoc. At the time I'm talking a big difference not a couple pennies...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Sue Doe-Nym

Be careful of any agreements you are made to sign if you switch. We were about to use a different supplier and they insisted that absolved them from EVERYTHING, including running out of propane. Needless to say, we didn't change suppliers.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #10
GBGX2

Default Our Town Energy Alliance

I would encourage you to speak to these folks.... I have been using them for years for both oil and propane and they are VERY competitive. They use a number of different companies depending upon your location.

This is probably the "cooperative" that was mentioned by The Professor in the earlier post.

https://www.otchoice.com/content/programinfo-4

Good luck !
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBGX2 For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (09-09-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #11
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
I would encourage you to speak to these folks.... I have been using them for years for both oil and propane and they are VERY competitive. They use a number of different companies depending upon your location.

This is probably the "cooperative" that was mentioned by The Professor in the earlier post.

https://www.otchoice.com/content/programinfo-4

Good luck !
I second this idea and use Eastern through them and have been very happy.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #12
DesertDweller

We use Amerigas as well. Have been very happy with them. See some bad stuff written about them for time to time but they have been good with us and work with us on the pricing (we do a pre buy every year).
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #13
tummyman

Also check out "THE FUEL CLUB" for another way to save money. Web site is www.thefuelclub.com

We have used them for a few years. Also previously belonged to OTChoice. Both work, but compare costs and prices......
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
First Mate (09-22-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #14
jeffk

We use Stafford. We got fed up with Fuller and switched a couple years ago. Stafford is great at keeping the tank filled.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #15
SteveO123

Our Town with Eastern... About $1 off per gallon!
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #16
tgresla

Default I love OTC using Eastern

We bought our house from the builder in 2004. The builder used Rhymes. I called Rhymes and filled out the form to switch billing to my address. More than a month later in the middle of winter I still have not received a bill. I called Rhymes and they didn't know who I was. Finally they found my application in a box, they didn't recognize Governor Wentworth Hwy as a delivery address. My property was in their system as route 109 ( the same road). I immediately switched to Eastern. eastern asked what size tank I had in the ground. I didn't know so I called Rhymes who put in the tank. They said it was 250. It wasn't. Rhymes is totally incompetent, they almost totaled my new house with frozen burst pipes. Later I told this story to my plumber. He said "you know what Tuesday in Moultonboro is don't you?" I said no. He said why that is Rhymes day in court. I have had Eastern for more than 10 years. They even put in a remote tank monitor that would email me if levels got low. No problems with them ever. Love OTC, which has saved me a bunch of money.
tgresla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #17
tummyman

So here is a cool idea. We have our tank (oil) in a crawl space. Never knew how much fuel there is unless I go under the house. So, I bought an inexpensive night vision camera that works off the internet. I have it trained on my tank gage. Any time I want to know what the oil level is, I just dial up the camera over the internet. PRESTO. I could be in China or in my house upstairs and can instantly know how much fuel I have. No more crawling around with a flashlight. Camera was about $75 and I do need to keep my internet service on all year long.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #18
garysanfran

Default Suburban Propane...

Does anyone have any experience with them? I never see them mentioned, and assume there must be a reason.

Thanks
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #19
TriDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
We use Stafford. We got fed up with Fuller and switched a couple years ago. Stafford is great at keeping the tank filled.
Does Stafford do Propane anymore? Last time I checked they said no?
TriDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #20
dogma

Default fuelclub

I have never used a coop so just called the fuel club. was quoted 1.29 for propane at today's price. Was told it fluctuates up or down by 30 cents. the membership fee is very reasonable.. so what is the hitch? seems too good to be true..their carrier for our area in Alton Bay is Irving. We really want to jump on it but looking for advice/feedback before we do.
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Perspective in gas prices.

Liberty Utilities predict natural gas prices will run about $0.7068 per therm. The FPO (fixed price option) for Nov, 1 is $0.7268.

Natural Gas*10 Therms x $0.7268 = $7.62

Propane Gas (LP) 11 Gallons x $1.29 = $14.19

10 Therms = 11 gallons (1 million BTU)

I have a 97% efficiency condensing boiler so it cost $7.86 per 1mil BTU to heat my house! ($7.62/.97)
Old 09-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #22
dogma

Default pays to negotiate

Coincidentally, we received an overdue bill yesterday from our current carrier. It was for the annual enrollment fee for which we have not even signed a contract yet. I called to inquire and mentioned it seemed a bit devious to send an overpayment notice without a contract. I told them I was shopping around and they could not match the $1.29 I was quoted. I was put on hold while she talked to her manager and came back to say they would honor that rate and lock it in so that it would not change over the course of the season. So it pays to shop and negotiate.
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #23
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
Does Stafford do Propane anymore? Last time I checked they said no?
Sorry, brain fart. We are an oil customer.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #24
First Mate

Dogma, how many gallons do you use to get that price?

I am already an Irving customer for both propane and oil. I knew about OTA but don't want to switch suppliers. I did not know about The Fuel Club until I read this thread, and on further investigation I've also found LS Fuel Co-op (Lake Sunapee). http://www.lsfuelco-op.com/index.html

Has anyone here used LS Fuel Co-op?

The Fuel Club membership fee is $60 for two fuels, where LS Fuel Co-op looks to be $25 - and their rack+ pricing from Irving appears to be the same.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to First Mate For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (09-22-2016)