Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Island Girl

Talking Snowmobile Repair and other Questions

I need a new part installed on the handlebar of my snowmobile. It is a Polaris Ultra SP. I am storing it at the lake for the rest of the season and would like to get it done close to the lake. Any recommendations?

Where can I get gas while snowmobiling on the lake?

Any recommendations for a padded case to hang of the back of the sled to carry my cameras? Or some sort of case or tote bag I could carry closer to me so I can stop and take pictures easily?

Thanks to all... what a great weekend at the lake... just perfect weather.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
trfour

Hi Island Girl.

H K Powersports, 1197 Union Ave Rte 3 Laconia. 524-0100

For Accessories; Jack Willey's www.jackwilleys.com 524-9645

You can get gas at Weirs Beech near WaldoPepper's, also I recomend getting as many locale Trail maps for the area around the Lake that you will be riding and keep them with you on your sled. They show you the gas stops.

The camera is the hard part. With my old cmera, 35mm, I just strapped it around the hanlebars in its carry case. Never had a problem.

With my new camera, I ware it around my neck inside my snowmobile jacket.
Don't know if this would work for you, but I'm shure more help is on it's way and you will figure it out.

Happy Trails to you and I'm looking forward to more of your winter addventure photo's here!!

Hope this helps.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
Island Girl

Default Any gas on the lake?

I will probably not be doing trails this year, mostly staying on the lake. I would need to get there by sled. I was hoping to find something down by my part of the lake.. wolfboro perhaps??

I did tuck the camera inside my jacket, but it is big and bulky. How about a bag on the tank, or do would it just get in the way?

....... Make Lemonade
Old 02-07-2005, 10:00 PM   #4
trfour

Post RE: Gas on the Lake

If your staying and riding on the Lake, fill the tank before you go and you can ride all day with a tank full.

As for your camera, I would be conserned about the amount of static shock it can handle. May want to check with the manufacturer.

I don't know of any dealers in Alton or Wolfeboro that can help you with parts and service.

Sorry.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 02-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

IG, give Hillcrest Marine 875-5700 a call. Not a Polaris dealer but may be able to help. Heard great things about their service on boats, have to think they have good service on snowmobiles also. Their web site: www.hillcrestmarine.comGas??? while the ice is good, with a little trail riding, the gas station at the Alton Circle. East Alton Store, rte 28 & 28A. The gas stations across from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro at the flashing light where Rte 28 takes the right turn to head down to Wolfeboro Falls (but be really careful!!!!!!). The Airport Citco station in Gilford by the lights at the Laconia Airport and Lilly Pond.

Do get a trail map(s). As important as a Bizer Chart!!!!!!!!! Mt Major maps can be had at Amilynn's store (Busy Corner) Alton, probably the Alton Circle, just hadn't seen them.

See you in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:29 AM   #6
Pepper

Thumbs down No gas in my neighborhood!

IG, I'm sad to report that the gas TRfour referred to in my neighborhood is no longer available. The Texaco across the street from us has closed, and is up for lease. Yet another casualty of the really tough off-season in the Weirs. The closest gas on our end of the lake is at Gilford Getty, which is directly on the trail, and at the Airport Country Store, which is also on the same trail, further down by Lily Pond. In Meredith you can probably get gas at the Irving station by Mills Falls, if you are brave enough to attempt crossing Rt. 3 twice. Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the fuel situation, but things are pretty sparse on this side of the lake! Looking forward to seeing you on your machine - you can still get here on it, providing the rain doesn't wash away the packed trail made by others coming off the lake! Think SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
JTA

A few (6? - 8?) years ago I burned out a piston on my Polaris which I bought used in Connecticut. Meredith Harley - Polaris tore it down and replaced the piston. I was back on the trails the next weekend and the price was fair. Of course that was in their old building so I have no knowledge of the "new" operation. Try denniskirk.com for accessories. I would try a tank bag for the camera or carry a small backpack. Thanks for the snakeeyes cam, it points right up at my place on Cow Is. (I think).
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

IG,I would suggest using a backpack for sensitive belongings.I think any items would not be banged around as much there as on the machine itself.Your body tends to cushion and provide shock absorbsion on top of your suspension. SS
Old 02-08-2005, 03:48 PM   #9
RLW

Thumbs up What about a waist pouch??

What about one of the back or belly pouches everyone seems to be wearing nowdays. I'm not sure if the belt part is made big enough to be used with all the winter riding clothes. The Hillcrest Marina that was mentioned I believe was sold this past fall and I believe it was purchased by Irwin Marina. Rick who use to own it serviced just about every kind of machine.

Last edited by RLW; 02-08-2005 at 03:50 PM. Reason: To correct a bo-bo in spelling
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #10
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
What about one of the back or belly pouches everyone seems to be wearing nowdays.
I've had the priviledge of seeing Island Girl's Camera Equipment, and a belly/fanny pouch might fit the base of her camera, but definately not the rest of it! IG - I think I would definately take the advice of using a backpack of some sort. They have some with "quick access" pouch covers on top, so you could reach around behind your shoulder to snag it out if you needed to snap a photo in a hurry! Good Luck!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:51 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

IG, look at some of the basic computer back packs-- Giving a plug for my employer, stick your head in the luggage area at a Staples and see if the padded backpacks would work for your camera and lenses.

RLW, the business is technically called Irwin Marine at Hillcrest, with Rick & Anita moving on to other interests, per the website.

Last edited by upthesaukee; 02-08-2005 at 10:57 PM.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:03 PM   #12
trfour

Post For all over 30

On your first snowmobile rides of the season, take it slow, limit them to short morning and then afternoon trips, so as to make adjustments to suspension or for any additional equipment you may want to bring along to maximize comfort and control.

If you do not prepare in this slow, but deliberate prosess, you may encounter what is called, (Body Shock), or green riders, and you will feel it by the second or third day depending on your physical conditioning before departure, and if you try to do 500 miles the first day, they may have to bring you back on a wrecker!

Conditioning is the key, and after this, you will be good to go for the rest of the season,... but keep this in mind for next!

Take it slow newbies.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #13
Island Girl

Talking Thanks all

I will probably not be doing trails this year, just hanging out on the lake, the Alton Bay Festival.

I learned a lot last weekend and the weekend before about starting it, how it handles alone and with another rider, etc. Going from snow then through slush was a bit of a surprise.. I skidded a but.

Maybe next year I will be willing to try some trails. I don't want to hit a tree!

I have a question... how smooth will the track be for the radar run? Will it be bumpy like the lake was last weekend?

Keep those suggestions coming...

Riding around is such fun. I do want to know the dangers, tips, etc. to stay safe.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 02-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #14
trfour

Post We have a big Nor'Easter comming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
I will probably not be doing trails this year, just hanging out on the lake, the Alton Bay Festival.

I learned a lot last weekend and the weekend before about starting it, how it handles alone and with another rider, etc. Going from snow then through slush was a bit of a surprise.. I skidded a but.

Maybe next year I will be willing to try some trails. I don't want to hit a tree!

I have a question... how smooth will the track be for the radar run? Will it be bumpy like the lake was last weekend?

Keep those suggestions coming...

Riding around is such fun. I do want to know the dangers, tips, etc. to stay safe.

So as of the moment, everything is up in the air!.... Stay tuned.....

Old 02-08-2005, 08:10 AM   #15
islandAl

Default camara and dealer

I think the Harley dealer in Meredith is also a Polaris dealer.
As for the camara, I have padded "saddlebags" made for the sled into which I put the padded camara bag and make sure every buckle is securly snapped and tight. There can be a lot of bounce going on back there and you do not want to stop for a pic and find an empty place where the camara used to be.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote