Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Pineedles

Default Shun Kaji Chef's Knives

I don't know all the Chefs who frequent this site, hence not PMing each one, but I was hoping some of LR chefs might help me in understanding whether these knives are worth the money they ask, or if there are other brands they would recommend. I am considering buying a set for a wedding present. Thanks.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
camp guy

Default Shun Kaji knives

A trip to Google revealed two things: 1) people seem to really, really like these knives, and 2) boy!, are they expensive.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (04-02-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Newbiesaukee

Default I'm not a chef...

But I know a little about knives. These are beautiful, excellent knives but people who appeciate fine knives often have very strong feelings about them. Sort of the same with cars and boats. If the happy couple would like these particular knives, the this would be a generous much appreciated gift. If this is not the case, then I would be wary. Japanese fine knives are different from German or French or American knives in use and care.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
phoenix (04-01-2012), Pineedles (04-02-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
garysanfran

Default Shun Premier...

I just bought, arrived yesterday, a Shun Premier Santoku as a wedding gift for my nephew. They are made with the same process as a Samurai sword by laminating 16 layers of Damascus steel on each side for a total of 32 layers. They're handmade. Also the edge is formed at a 15 degree angle as opposed to European knives which are 22 degrees. So they must be sharpened somewhat differently and the blade is thinner. They are more of a finesse knife than a heavy duty chopping Wurstoff. I got mine on-line at chefknivestogo.com

This is a very high quality knife and I may have to get one also. I got the 8" and happy I didn't get the 7". The 7" is $179. The 8" is on sale right now for $119. Careful, these are very sharp.
Attached Images

Last edited by garysanfran; 04-01-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: adding photo
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (04-02-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
donnamatrix

Default Sabatier knifes

When I was in my 20s, my Dad gave me a set of Sabatier carving knives, not stainless steel, but carbon steel. Stainless steel does not hold an edge. At the time, I thought -"who needs knifes for a birthday present" ... but 30+ years later, these knives are still in use, and have a great edge. We use a "pole" to sharpen them, when needed. They are not kept in a drawer, but hang on a magnet bar in the kitchen. In today's market they are probably worth about $700 or more, but terrific knives
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (04-03-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
pawnshop

Default Former Chef

As a former chef I've had great knives come from all sorts of places. The best knife I owned was actually one I got at a flea market for a couple dollars made in Germany! There's so many things to consider when purchasing but I think was most important was my personal handling and comfort with the knife. Fairly unique to each person and might be difficult when your buying a gift. Second of course is what type of warranty/guarantee is offered? The manufacturer should give clear maintenence instructions for cleaning, sharpening etc. A good quality knife would be backed up with a 100% (hassle free) replacement/repair guarantee by the manufacturer.

A good set of knives is an excellent and thoughtful gift that can last a very long time! That, and a good set of cooking pans!
pawnshop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pawnshop For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Hospitality Guy

Default Have a set too

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
When I was in my 20s, my Dad gave me a set of Sabatier carving knives, not stainless steel, but carbon steel. Stainless steel does not hold an edge. At the time, I thought -"who needs knifes for a birthday present" ... but 30+ years later, these knives are still in use, and have a great edge. We use a "pole" to sharpen them, when needed. They are not kept in a drawer, but hang on a magnet bar in the kitchen. In today's market they are probably worth about $700 or more, but terrific knives
I too have a set of carbon steel Sabatiers, mine came out of a flea market for $3.00! They were covered in rusty and very dirty. 15 years later I still use them most days. The pole you speak about is called a steel. It does'nt sharpen or put an edge on the knife, it removes the fine burrs that form from when used and make the knives feel dull. I do love my carbon steel Sabatiers!!!!!
Hospitality Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
magicrobotmonkey

I don't know too much about those knives, but I do know that I'd much rather receive as a gift one really nice knife over a mediocre set. I think too often sets throw in a couple of useless knives, I know out of the set we got for our wedding years ago there's one I use daily and several I've never used. If you know what type of cooking the recipient does, you could tailor your gift with the selection of one or two relevant knives and make it more meaningful. For instance, I bake a lot, I'd love a nice long wavy-serrated bread knife and I'd hide to it make sure it only gets used by me for bread!
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
dayvsea

Yah Shun's are no joke, but the money....Try a ceramic, no sharpening, sharp as hell, and lighter.. Or Mundial for the $, the bottom line is, a very sharp knife works easier and is safer..
Old 06-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Newbiesaukee

Ceramics are all those things, but can chip and really can't be repaired. But some people really like them. I have a small ceramic paring knife...but no one uses it but me.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Ceramics are all those things, but can chip and really can't be repaired. But some people really like them. I have a small ceramic paring knife...but no one uses it but me.
Exactly - I had a ceramic utility/pocket type knife. The thing could cut a finger just looking at it however I chipped the hell out of it in like a month.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

In my opinion,all of those knives are overpriced and no better than standard steel knives that we use daily in commercial kitchens.
There are a few basic knives that everyone should have they should be of good quality and not something you get in a discount store.

Chef's knife....8" to 10" broad rounded blade for chopping and cutting large objects
carving knife..8" to 10" narrow rounded blade for slicing ham,turkey,etc.
boning knife ...5" to 6" narrow blade for cutting around bone or fish
paring knife....for veggies and peeling
bread knife...10" or so...straight serrated knife for bread
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Chicago Cutlery

My dad had a fish market, restuarant back in the 60's. He bought commercial grade Chicago Cutlery back in the days and I have them and still use them every day! About every 5 or 6 use I would make a few pass on the sharpener.

My ex bought a Henckel set that was 60% off and she uses a coupon for an additional 25% on top of the 60%. It makes you wonder the mark ups on knive sets. For years it sits on the counter. I prefer the old Chicago cutlery. I was told CC were bought out a number of times and the new knives are cheap Walmart grade.

If you see some old CC knives at a flea market, let me know!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
In my opinion,all of those knives are overpriced and no better than standard steel knives that we use daily in commercial kitchens.
There are a few basic knives that everyone should have they should be of good quality and not something you get in a discount store.

Chef's knife....8" to 10" broad rounded blade for chopping and cutting large objects
carving knife..8" to 10" narrow rounded blade for slicing ham,turkey,etc.
boning knife ...5" to 6" narrow blade for cutting around bone or fish
paring knife....for veggies and peeling
bread knife...10" or so...straight serrated knife for bread
I would add a small to medium cleaver to this list too.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default CHROMA Cnife

If you really want to know the top kinives among the top chefs, click below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHROMA_Cnife

From $20 to $25,000 for a knife!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Pineedles

Thanks BH, The Shun Kaji Chef's Knives were expensive enough but they were very much appreciated as a gift. Thanks again to all who contributed.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Thanks BH, The Shun Kaji Chef's Knives were expensive enough but they were very much appreciated as a gift. Thanks again to all who contributed.
Jeff... Did I tell you my daughter is getting married 9/15...
Old 06-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
I don't know all the Chefs who frequent this site, hence not PMing each one, but I was hoping some of LR chefs might help me in understanding whether these knives are worth the money they ask, or if there are other brands they would recommend. I am considering buying a set for a wedding present. Thanks.
I hope you gave them a penny with their gift. Giving knives is bad luck. Just like changing boat names.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #19
Pineedles

Congratulations Steve! The rehersal dinner at the Atlantic Beach Club and reception at Belle Mer in Newport was fantastic.

Tis,
Everything went off perfectly and we gave her the sixpence that my grandmother used at her wedding. That one lasted longer than I am old.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Congratulations Steve! The rehersal dinner at the Atlantic Beach Club and reception at Belle Mer in Newport was fantastic.

Tis,
Everything went off perfectly and we gave her the sixpence that my grandmother used at her wedding. That one lasted longer than I am old.
I am SOOO relieve to hear it, Pineedles.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote