Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
Skip

Post Alton Bay Christian Conference Center story

Interesting story in this morning's Citizen detailing the proposed rebuilding of the ABCCC after the devastating fire that destroyed 42 cottages in Alton last April. Story can be read HERE.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
soxie

Is anybody else shocked by the news today regarding the Alton fire lieutenant. I am horrified. This is so, so sad.
soxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxie View Post
Is anybody else shocked by the news today regarding the Alton fire lieutenant. I am horrified. This is so, so sad.
Please be careful - he has not been linked to the ABCCC fire at all or the fire at The Pavilion, or Mt. Major. (See today's Concord Monitor article for this info.)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Gearhead

He admitted to setting fire to the farmhouse on New Durham rd. which in fact is owned by the conference center, and he admitted that he was planning to go back and finish the job, so that, for now, is the connection.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...hp?photo=15828
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
fatlazyless

According to the WMUR tv report, the police said that he told them that he set the fires because he was bored. How about that...he set the fires because he was bored...I suppose that is a believable reason but thinking a little deeper into that reasoning....it does not speak well for the individual's character or self-control.

A fire makes an incredible destructive mess.

If he was bored, he should have simply taken up ice fish'n and beer drink'n like many do to pass winter boredom.....and maybe build a campfire out on the lake ice.... or stay home and argue with the wife.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-24-2010 at 11:05 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
He admitted to setting fire to the farmhouse on New Durham rd. which in fact is owned by the conference center, and he admitted that he was planning to go back and finish the job, so that, for now, is the connection.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...hp?photo=15828

I'm referring to the HUGE fire at Alton Bay, not the house fire related w/ ABCCC.

From The Citizen article about the Press Conference held this week:

However, officials have ruled out Liedtke as a suspect in either of Alton's two most spectacular building fires in recent years: the Pavilion fire in 2006, the Alton Bay Christian Conference Center fire in 2009, as well as forest fires on Mount Major.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

So, Gearhead, is the place that was known as ferncroft Farm the same as the house that was torched at 117 New Durham Road? I always wondered where it may have been located.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Gearhead

Yes it is. I wish I could have seen it back in its glory days! It looks nice from the road, but I'm told it looks better from a distance.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Link

The link first posted brought me to a page, which said:
Sorry! The page you requested cannot be found.

I think the following is the story that is supposed to be reference.

Conference Center Planning to Rebuild
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

From the Baysider
Quote:
Alton planners continue Conference Center hearing
BY BRENDAN BERUBE
Staff Writer

ALTON
— A scheduled hearing on the Alton Bay Christian Conference Center’s re-construction plans was continued by the planning board last week amid lingering concerns about the organization’s site plan. The Conference Center was slated to appear during the board’s May 18 meeting with a formal site plan for Phase I of its plans to replace a number of cottages that were destroyed in last year’s Easter Sunday fire. The first phase of the proposal would entail the construction of 17 new singleunit cottages and four twounit cottages. With no one present last week to speak to the Conference Center’s application, however, board Chairman Tim Roy said it was his understanding that nothing could be done with the proposal until the Conference Center appears before the zoning board for a variance on parking requirements. Town Planner Sharon Penney explained that representatives from the Conference Center and their engineers had met with town department heads following a design review session with the planning board last month. During that meeting, she said, several issues came to light that will have to be addressed before the board can accept the Conference Center’s application as complete and move forward with a formal site plan review. Unless the Conference Center is willing to extend the design review period, she said, “they’re not ready.” Board member Tom Hoopes moved to continue the formal hearing on the Conference Center’s plans to the board’s June 15 meeting. Given the size of the project and the issues associated with the application, board member Cindy Balcius asked whether it was “really a good idea” to simply continue the case without requiring the Conference Center to re-notice abutters. “It’s not our fault that they weren’t ready,” she said. Pointing out that the application had not yet been accepted as complete, meaning that there was no obligation to re-notice abutters, planning assistant Stacey Ames suggested that the case be pushed back to July, given the fact that the Conference Center had already missed the filing deadline for the zoning board’s June meeting. Withdrawing his original motion, Hoopes moved to continue the case until the board’s July 15 meeting. The remaining board members voted unanimously in favor of his motion.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
riverat

Default Fianally able to rebuild!

It will be nice to see cabins back on the hill.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...867/-1/CITIZEN