Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Never Enough

Default Thoughts on designated rafting areas

We are new to boating this summer, but we have managed to log over 100 hours on our H240, and have loved every minute! We have enjoyed reading your comments and we have learned some very helpful tips on this site. Thank you all!

We have found a favorite place to wakeboard, tube, swim, and just chillax. It is in a quiet cove that is not yet inhabited, but there are "for sale" signs along the waters edge. This spot is frequented by several families (we haven't actually met any of them, but see them every weekend). There are a couple of groups who meet weekly, but otherwise everyone seems to be on their own. It is such a great spot. I have seen on my Bizer map that there are certain areas where rafting is allowed and so far, this cove is not mentioned as a no-rafting zone. Can anyone tell me if there is there a way to have this spot declared "okay" for rafting and/or an achoring alone location before it becomes off limits?
Never Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Default Every place that is NOT a NRZ is a rafting zone (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Enough View Post
... I have seen on my Bizer map that there are certain areas where rafting is allowed and so far, this cove is not mentioned as a no-rafting zone. Can anyone tell me if there is there a way to have this spot declared "okay" for rafting and/or an achoring alone location before it becomes off limits?
Hi and welcome to the Lake and forum Never Enough. If I understand your question, here's the answer:

Rafting is permitted everywhere that it is not prohibited . Easy right?

What I think you see on the Bizer charts are No Rafting Zones (NRZs) which really means no rafting of more than TWO boats. There is a list of those No Rafting Zones in the rules (RSAs) and on the maps/charts. You can still anchor in NRZs but there are a few more rules to follow and are not all the same. Such as anchoring distance from shore, boats and rafts. If in doubt, call Marine Patrol and ask.

However, if you are not in a channel or blocking navigation or a navigation aid you can probably raft there. Anchoring and rafting are permitted everywhere except for where they are not permitted...

Glad you enjoyed your 1st boating season - here's to many many more

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Never Enough

Default Preserving an area that is currently OK to raft and/or anchor

Hey, thanks for the reply!
Maybe I wasn't clear with my question, I'll try to clarify...
I did know that if an area isn't designated as a NRZ than of course anyone can raft (2+) or anchor (just us). However, what I'm am trying to find out is if there is a way to make sure this great little spot stays a free-to-visit-for-all-zone and that once land ownership changes hands it isn't declared a NRZ. Thanks again for any offerings.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Phantom

Rule of Thumb -- "Enjoy it while it lasts" for you never know what tomorrow may bring!!

and no, I'm not posting a smartallic retort to your post -- I'm serious
Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
sa meredith

Default guess

My guess, is you are talking about Johnson's Cove...just a guess, but from what you say, you are tubing and wake boarding in Winter Harbor, and then relaxing in Johnson's Cove. It has three or four "for sale" signs around the entire cove. So, it is just a guess, but what you have described certainly describes Johnson's. It is my favorite "hang out" spot on the entire lake midweek. Never a crowd (again, weekday only) and always peaceful and quiet.
Anyway...these lots are listed between 600,000/700,000. And then you have to build the house. My guess???? These people will not want to look at 4 or 5 boats tied off together all weekend long.
The people in East Cove on Long Island got sick of it, and actually had the law changed. I submit:
http://www.nh.gov/safety/news/docume..._NoRafting.pdf
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Never Enough

Default good advice but

Phantom... I appreciate a good sense of humor... we can't take ourselves too seriously, and your advice is quite right, as well as a good rule to live by...

Sa meredith... you are an intuitive boater I also appreciate your info. My thought was something similar to the proposed NO Raft pdf you attached, except I would like the opposite. I would like to make sure this pretty spot remains a place where we can continue to enjoy it even if there is a house or two. Perhaps there isn't a such a thing... a reverse petition ??? I'd like to have it declared an ok place for boaters before anything is built???

At any rate we are sad to see the summer come to an end, but the foliage from the water should be fabulous this fall.

Thanks again for your replies.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #7
Orion

Default agree, but.....

It is nice to have a big sandy beach area to anchor, but in reality, there are many many places to anchor where there are no homes on the shore. Before we bought on Cow, we use to anchor around the lee side of islands with uninhabited shorelines. Just as homeowners don't want to see the boats, we didn't want to see the homes. One of our favorite places was the east side of Forty Islands. Great snorkeling, views, and usually downwind of the island. There were many other areas similar.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Bear Islander

Quote:
Phantom... I appreciate a good sense of humor... we can't take ourselves too seriously, and your advice is quite right, as well as a good rule to live by...

Sa meredith... you are an intuitive boater I also appreciate your info. My thought was something similar to the proposed NO Raft pdf you attached, except I would like the opposite. I would like to make sure this pretty spot remains a place where we can continue to enjoy it even if there is a house or two. Perhaps there isn't a such a thing... a reverse petition ??? I'd like to have it declared an ok place for boaters before anything is built???

At any rate we are sad to see the summer come to an end, but the foliage from the water should be fabulous this fall.

Thanks again for your replies.
What it comes down to is that you want the state to pass a law that says the state can't pass a law. Any rule, law or regulation the government adopts can be removed, or altered. Even the state Constitution and the US Constitution can be re-written by following the proper procedures. We could eliminate the presidency and have a king if we wanted to, or bring back slavery.

No rafting zones can be created anywhere. They can also be removed anywhere.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
GTO

Default well.....

Quote:
We are new to boating this summer, but we have managed to log over 100 hours on our H240, and have loved every minute! We have enjoyed reading your comments and we have learned some very helpful tips on this site. Thank you all!

We have found a favorite place to wakeboard, tube, swim, and just chillax. It is in a quiet cove that is not yet inhabited, but there are "for sale" signs along the waters edge. This spot is frequented by several families (we haven't actually met any of them, but see them every weekend). There are a couple of groups who meet weekly, but otherwise everyone seems to be on their own. It is such a great spot. I have seen on my Bizer map that there are certain areas where rafting is allowed and so far, this cove is not mentioned as a no-rafting zone. Can anyone tell me if there is there a way to have this spot declared "okay" for rafting and/or an achoring alone location before it becomes off limits?
It sounds like the cove near my place and I can see this area becoming a no rafting zone in the near future. The land surrounding the cove is owned and people from the boats that come to raft here are continually abusing it. There are paths through the woods where I walk my dog and have seen, especially this year, beer cans littered, human waste and toilet paper, and of course my favorite, the tampon in the plastic bag. Aaahhhh, but let me take you for a virtual swim in the cove. Mmmm, surprise...more beer cans, red plastic cups and a pile of chicken bones. I can just picture the fat capt licking the meat from the bone and then discarding the bones overboard. And then this past weekend, when one of the big cruisers (I think it was an Imperial) left, he decided it was a good place to pump out his septic. We smelled it from the dock and when our friends came in from skiing, they smelled and thought the same thing. Unfortuneately, we couldn't get the numbers.
So, if someday soon this does become a NRZ, blame the few ignorant people out there.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
lakershaker

Default Winter Harbor

Johnson's cove has been a popular destination for a long time. In fact, the Winter Harbor Yacht Club on Welch Island was started by families that used to raft and spend their day in that exact area, then got together and bought the property on Welch. It is unfortunate to hear stories like GTO's of people not respecting the lake (seems to be a recurring theme the past few years), which can only lead to more and more restrictions on those who do respect the area. As has been said in the past at other areas that have a lot of anchoring activity, if you see others disrespecting the resources, please say something. Never underestimate the power of embarrassment!
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
Ken B

I've been achoring in JC for roughly 8 years now and have never seen beer cans in the water or other trash in the water. I think for the most part folks are very, very good about that. I can also say this past Sunday was the first time I've seen people walking the lots and those were kids. It's a shame that folks are doing what the poster mentions and once those lots sell you can pretty much kiss that cove goodbye. I think there was already one rumor that the area landwoners were trying to get it a nrz.

Never Enough...if you see a yellow Monterey in the back of the cove say hello as we're usally the first ones there.

Ken
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:47 AM   #12
ApS

Default That's Johnson's Cove, All Right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
"...In fact, the Winter Harbor Yacht Club on Welch Island was started by families that used to raft and spend their day in that exact area, then got together and bought the property on Welch..."
Thanks for that piece of history.

Years ago, I bought four WHYC glasses at a yard sale because I thought it was a piece of local history—then heard nothing at all about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
"...Johnson's cove has been a popular destination for a long time..."
Well, it's popularity bears a direct relationship to "valet boat storage", a relatively new phenomenon for Lake Winnipesaukee.

Quote:
"...what I'm am trying to find out is if there is a way to make sure this great little spot stays a free-to-visit-for-all-zone and that once land ownership changes hands it isn't declared a NRZ..."
I contacted two local conservation groups about buying all those JC lots—before they got snatched up for $1.3 million. Neither were "...interested in buying that kind of property...."

"...We wouldn't have purchased Stamp Act Island today, either...."

Quote:
"...Can anyone tell me if there is there a way to have this spot declared "okay" for rafting and/or an achoring alone location before it becomes off limits...?"
The lots will likely be sold to prospects during leaf-peeping season or otherwise in the off-season. When summer arrives, even one anchored boat would be "an eyesore" for someone who spent between $.7M and $4.2M for a lot there.

If only the Town of Wolfeboro would require "Impact Fees" from Wolfeboro's many developers, it's possible that an alternate site could be constructed for rafting. (Like the shallows at Parker Island or a suitable island built upon "The Witches" many boulders).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
"...It sounds like the cove near my place...There are paths through the woods where I walk my dog..."
I think you've got the wrong cove: at least three of those lots around JC's latest development are so steep that even your dog would lose his footing!

Abutting those lots is the most expensive lot: it's very steep, and even where it's not very steep, it's very soggy! (I wouldn't pay the $4.2 million they're asking—I'd make an offer.)

Years ago, those lots would have been called "unbuildable" (like the lots being built on at Rattlesnake Island presently ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
"...he decided it was a good place to pump out his septic...So, if someday soon this does become a NRZ, blame the few ignorant people out there.
My folks are both floatplane operators and have seen similar instances from the air, but doubt this would happen in the tight quarters of Johnson's Cove.

-----

1) Two weekends ago, the Cove was crowded with two major raftings of about a dozen boats each.

The micro-beach there, named "Frankum's Beach" by locals, or "Land's-End Beach" by Camp Wyanokers, is clearly marked with a variety of Posted notices, but got jammed with boats anyway.

2) Once inside Winter Harbor most of the larger craft proceeding to Johnson's Cove do so at headway speed—and that is much appreciated by lakefront residents of Winter Harbor. The floatplane operator (that you'd pass nearby) told me he's had to push his floatplane—unattended—into monster wakes in order to keep it from crashing onto the rocky shore.

When headway speed isn't observed, the shorelines of Winter Harbor tend towards muddiness on sun-filled weekends.

3) Many monster waves ricochet off the shorelines on weekends. If cruiser-owner Silver Duck had taken up my visitation-offer of a typical view of oversize cruisers from my dock, I knew right where to put his lounge chair!

Smart guy, that Silver Duck!
Attached Images