Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Nauset

Default Teaching kids to operate a motor boat

Does anyone know what the law states as to the operation of a motor boat for kids under the boating certificate age? I would like to teach my 11 year old how to operate a small boat with an 11hp outboard. I thought I heard that as long as an adult with a boating certificate is on board it is OK. I tried to search for the law on this but did not find anything. Learning to operate a small boat is a nice right of passage for youngster and helps build character and teach responsibility. Hopefully it is not illegal at this point.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Island Life

I get my information from the Boating Guide, which is a summary of the law, although I wouldn't cite it in court. Your 11 hp boat falls well within the under 25 hp limit for kids. My kids would have one if I could find a decent used motor for my rowboat. Kids can also drive a boat 25 hp and over as long as they are with an adult who has a certificate (on them). I taught my kids how to drive my boat as young as 9 years old and they started learning to dock at 11. Of course I stand over them like a hawk and make sure they understand the rules and all safety issues. With fewer boats on the lake this year, its a good time to get out there with your child. Not only is it incredibly fun for them, but I'm convinced they'll be safer drivers once they start going out on their own because they've had years of experience.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
NightWing

CHAPTER 6100 SAFE BOATER EDUCATION

Statutory Authority: RSA 270-D:20

PART Saf-C 6101 SCOPE OF RULES

Saf-C 6101.01 Applicability.

(a) Pursuant to RSA 270-D:10, I, no person born on or after the dates provided in Table 6100-1 shall operate a motorized vessel with any type of power motor in excess of 25 horsepower on the public waters of this state without first obtaining a certificate of boating safety education in accordance with these rules:
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
boat_guy64

Default Is boated information valid??

Nightwing,

The following is from the boated website. If I am reading your information correctly, it seems to contradict. Is it correct or out of date? I hope that it is still valid as I've been teaching my 13 yr. old to drive and dock the boat. He has gone through the entire boat ed website course. I often wish that a jr. level course and certificate were offered for kids aged 12+ just like the snowmobile courses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
From boated website:

A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a “ski craft”) may be operated by:

A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate. The accompanying person is responsible for any injury or damage caused during operation of the vessel.

A person 16 years of age or older only if he or she has obtained a Safe Boater Education Certificate as required by the “Schedule for Required Safe Boater Education.”
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Lake Fan

My 14 and 12 year olds now regularly head out in our 12' aluminum boat with a 15 hp motor. They are very safety minded - wear lifejackets, etc. The 14 year old took and passed the boater safety class and has his card along with the personal watercraft endorsement, even though he can't operate a PWC alone yet. I can see their sense of pride and independence when they are in the boat. Under 25 hp there is no age restriction and no boater safety certificate is needed, but it couldn't hurt.
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy64 View Post
Nightwing,

The following is from the boated website. If I am reading your information correctly, it seems to contradict. Is it correct or out of date? I hope that it is still valid as I've been teaching my 13 yr. old to drive and dock the boat. He has gone through the entire boat ed website course. I often wish that a jr. level course and certificate were offered for kids aged 12+ just like the snowmobile courses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
From boated website:

A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a “ski craft”) may be operated by:

A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate. The accompanying person is responsible for any injury or damage caused during operation of the vessel.

A person 16 years of age or older only if he or she has obtained a Safe Boater Education Certificate as required by the “Schedule for Required Safe Boater Education.”
Read your quote again. That is for boats over 25 HP. The OP was training on a boat with only 11 HP, therefore, no certificate is required of the teacher or the student.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote