Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Pat

Default So what's the best 21' boat for an Islander who has to cross the Broads?

So I am in the market for a new boat. And I need advice and opinions. I began another thread about the Yamaha SX210 jet boat and got some good discussion. So now I want to open it up for more ideas.

What you get if you had to do it all over again?

Thanks,

Pat
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Woodsy

Pat...

Its def kind of a broad question... LOL!

Seriously, there are so many factors to how one intends to use the boat. Budget? Do you have kids? skiing? tubing? etc. Lots of GREAT boats in that size range.

I suggest you travel around to the different marinas and test drive the boats you like.

Woodsy
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
cowisl

Get something with decent freeboard. A jet boat is not for you as a primary boat. Check out crownline at Channel Marine
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
ApS

Default 21-footer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
"...I am in the market for a new boat..."
The May issue of Soundings magazine has an excellent review of boats for rough water. If you can't pick the days you're on the lake, you'll need to read, "Your Boat's Bottom...and Yours".

Summarized, they're saying that deadrise is most important in the center of the boat, and the choices are ride vs Efficiency. (Gas mileage). Some considerations—like "bow-steering"—can be ignored, as we don't have the challenges of offshore ocean here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
"...I suggest you travel around to the different marinas and test drive the boats you like.
Not Cobalt.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
So I am in the market for a new boat. And I need advice and opinions. I began another thread about the Yamaha SX210 jet boat and got some good discussion. So now I want to open it up for more ideas.

What you get if you had to do it all over again?

Thanks,

Pat
If you are "crossing" the Broads to get to your Island I would consider a larger boat, something in the 23'-24' range. The thing is do you want to get there in most conditions or will you wait for calmer water. 2'-3' waves at night in a 21' boat could be a little stressfull.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
hazelnut

To add to that when I first bought my Island house I was also, obviously, in the market for a boat. I began my search looking at 21 footers. While doing that I noticed a substantial difference from 21-23. Things that made a big difference in terms of staying dry in rough water. If you have the dock space I am suggesting you bump up to 23 feet. I just feel like that is the magic number on Winni in terms of a boat that will be able to handle most of the conditions on the lake. Of course you may be limited by your mainland dock space so this point could be moot.

As for brand name. The old adage you get what you pay for often applies in boating. Not all the time but most of the time. Names like Cobalt, Monterey, Sea Ray command higher prices and they are well built boats. With that said a few of my neighbors swear by Four Winns and you know what? For the money they make a hell of a good boat. Another name to consider is Chapparal. I think it is probably going to come down to money and personal preference. Most of the big name 21-23 footers will suit you well. Good Luck in your search.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Bear Islander

If you are on an island you will need to have a good relationship with a marina. Things like trash disposal and guest parking are part of island life.

A marina will expect you to be buying your boat from them. Some will not rent you a slip unless you buy the boat there. They are looking for the total customer. Slip, fuel, repair, winter storage etc.

My point is that you should start by considering the boat models carried by the marina you want.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
If you are on an island you will need to have a good relationship with a marina. Things like trash disposal and guest parking are part of island life.

A marina will expect you to be buying your boat from them. Some will not rent you a slip unless you buy the boat there. They are looking for the total customer. Slip, fuel, repair, winter storage etc.

My point is that you should start by considering the boat models carried by the marina you want.
Good advice. I will reply to your PM when I get a sec from the other thread. If you are on an island and plan for this to be your primary or only boat I would definitely reconsider. These are more of a "toy" boat for pleasure use, tubing, watersports, etc. I would not want to rely on it as my main transportation. I don't think you will get the ride quality in rough water, not to mention if you are on an island and haul things back and forth it is definitely not suited for it.

As far as pricing, if you are looking at buying a new one I think that you could get a better deal on a new Monterey or Rinker that will outlast and outperform the Yamaha for your application

Is this your first boat or first island property? A bit of background on your location or situation may help.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
Island Girl

Default If I had the money

A Grady White... enclosed front... hard top with removable windows...

mmmm perfect!!! It will take any wave conditions, big enough to haul lots of stuff (islanders are always hauling stuff) and pretty too!! Since I have a slip a relationship with a marina is less important. This is the Gulfstream 232... I like the Adventurer 208 as well.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
Dave R

Gotta agree with IG. Can't go wrong with a Grady White. Spendy though... Used would be a good idea. There's plenty out there and they are built to last and last and last...

If you plan to use the boat for multiple duties, you may want to shop for a Grady White Dual Console (Tournament) style, which is just another name for "seaworthy bowrider".

Their 20' offering

Their 22' offering
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,001 Times in 915 Posts
Default Island Boat considerations

Each year we go through the same drill, the old 1976 23' Slickcraft ss235 is really getting on in age and it would be nice to replace it.

The old boat does have some qualities that I suggest you would want for an island boat:
1. Good in foul weather - cuddy cabin to keep all that gear/tools dry, a lot of freeboard, canvas or roof overhead when running in rain, windshield wipers.
2. Good utility boat - can carry lumber (cabin door in center to accommodate long items), shingles (heavy), refrigerators, wood stoves and a load of overweight relatives/friends. A lot of open space in the back as opposed to wrap around seating with cup holders and stereo speakers.

I would suggest nothing smaller that 22' to 23'.

We have looked at the Eastern 22' model and that may be a solution when the old boat dies. There are a few on then on the lake. See:
http://www.easternboats.com/boats/eastern_22.php
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default What about a float boat?

A few people I know use a good size pontoon boat as there island craft. There is a lot of space to use for lugging gear. It seems economical to run with minimal horsepower. I am not to sure how they handle or secure they would feel in rough water, but I have seen them out in 3-4 footers cruising along. Perhaps someone who has one could comment.

Of course with any boat, you need to pilot it correctly with proper speed and angle of attack to the waves to have a better experience.

This also may be a good time to move into a new boat, a lot of day people are second thinking the expense with the gas prices.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
Grady223

Default Grady White

I agree with Island Girl and Dave R, I am on an island and cross the Broads - I have a Grady White 22' Tournament and love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything but another Grady White. Can handle all kinds of weather and built like a BMW. Island Real Estate has 2 boats, both Grady Whites - what does that tell you?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
Island Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We have looked at the Eastern 22' model and that may be a solution when the old boat dies. There are a few on then on the lake. See:
My understanding is that the 22' Eastern is not as deep vee as the 18'. I could be wrong. There are a few 22's around the lake that I have seen.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #15
kjbathe

Default Eastern

A friend has an Eastern on Rattlesnake and remarked that weather is rarely a factor anymore in getting to/from the island. They also noted that island life requires more transportation/utility than comfortable seating and tubing for the kids. I also like that Eastern offers the "Lobster Boat". What else would you want to haul stuff in during rough conditions?
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #16
Pricestavern

Default Key West 2020

It's a nice boat and I've been in some wicked conditions with it crossing the broads trying to get to my place. Get tossed around pretty badly and have to be extremely careful. It makes it across, but given my druthers I'd much rather have the 23' model

If I'd known then what I know now and I couldn't get a larger boat I would have rather purchased a Cape Island Trawler from Retromarine.

http://www.retromarine.com/boat%20mo...andtrawler.htm
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #17
Pine Island Guy

Default another vote for an Eastern

Spring of 2000, I bought an Eastern 22 - Lobster with a Honda 135 outboard and can't imagine island living without it!

They will build it with your customization/options (within limitations), and I have only two forward seats and the entire stern area is open. I refer to it as my "pickup truck on water" and it has hauled out appliances, lumber, cement, etc, etc... It has also towed water skiiers and tubers without a problem! If more people want to sit, I bring on a few Adirondack chairs from the deck and everyone is comfy... There seem to be more and more of them on the lake, many at island docks...

Rough water has never been an issue for it, it is extremely rugged, and maintenance is nil... plus they are built in NH and you can visit the factory as they build yours and check out the progress, make changes, etc. Everyone that works there was fantastic!

Swing by Pine Island this weekend and check it out, or view it via the webcam

PIG

p.s. I'd be remiss if I didn't also put in a plug for C-Dory. I don't own one but have seen plenty out and about and they seem to have the same features and handling as an Eastern. You can see them (and buy them) at Y-Landing Marina in Meredith.
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #18
Island Life

If you've been an islander for long, you know that, for islanders, a boat is much more a mode of transportation - a vehicle for lugging groceries, people, dogs, water, luggage, building supplies, and furniture in one direction, and trash in the other! - than it is a recreational vehicle. Sure, you'll have some good fun in it, but most of the time you'll be schlepping stuff. Also, you'll have pine needles on your island. And dirt. Please don't buy something that you don't want to get dirty. Enjoy your time on the island and forget about the bits and pieces of nature you'll be tracking onto the boat.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #19
Rattlesnake Guy

Our island boat is very much like an SUV for us. I love being able to load up the front with stuff coming and going and close the door and window to keep the wind down. I would not let the front be to low if you want to be master of the broads. A wave over the bow has been discussed on this site.

Being on an island also means I like being able to lay long pieces of lumber on the floor to keep the center of gravity low.

When the refrigerator went, the big swim platform came in handy coming and going.

I assume that most boats have power trim but I feel better knowing that I can lift the front in rough weather to keep the family above the water.

The flatter the boat bottom the harder the broads waves are going to be.

Our boat is 21 feet and it is not big enough a few days a year. For us the rough ride is to the island so we never get stranded and have to miss work.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #20
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
Spring of 2000, I bought an Eastern 22 - Lobster with a Honda 135 outboard and can't imagine island living without it!
PIG, when I first brought up the Eastern 22 in this thread, I did not really expect anyone here had experience with one so I'm glad to hear you have some experience.

Last summer we noticed a 22 lobster (dark blue hull) on Thursday evening out watching the J-80's race. We asked what it was, looked like a real island boat. A few weeks later we made the factory visit, nice people and yes each one is made to order the way you want.

We are on the windward side of Welch and my only concern is backing out of the slip on a windy day into the waves with the lower transom. I guess that you just let the scuppers deal with any water over the transom. Anyway, it looks like a fine island boat and made in NH to boot.
There are two 22’s that dock in Glendale on occasion and I keep looking them over.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #21
codeman671

Quote:
There are two 22’s that dock in Glendale on occasion and I keep looking them over.
One of them (yellow) is a neighbor on Mark who does maintenance for MP. Another is a white one on Mink.

I almost bought a used Eastern 26' last winter, i/o with a bow thruster. Had it been an outboard I would have taken it, the "engine hump" took up a bit too much deck space in my opinion. Other than that it was an incredible boat. I toured the factory and was pleased with the product.

I still am a fan of pontoons, although sometimes I wish I had a traditional hull boat for added cold weather protection. My enclosure is good, but not meant to handle the speeds the boat is capable of.

I had an Aquasport 215 Explorer which was decent, but the ride quality was not quite as good as I would have expected and the visibility over the bow was too high for my 5'2" wife to drive comfortably. With a 225hp it was good for 55mph though, which made runs for people or supplies a snap.

I have not found my true all-in-one island boat but the toon is the closest so far. For me, 25' or so, heat, all-weather enclosure with plenty of seating inside, and plenty of deck space would be my criteria. Oh, and its gotta do 50mph+
Old 05-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #22
Pine Island Guy

Default good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
the "engine hump" took up a bit too much deck space in my opinion
Codeman reminded me that originally I had been going the I/O route, and given what I was going to be using the boat for, the Eastern rep recommend going with the outboard for exactly that reason... and I'm glad I did!

Quote:
my only concern is backing out of the slip on a windy day into the waves with the lower transom. I guess that you just let the scuppers deal with any water over the transom
It does take a little getting used to, seeing water come in over the stern... but you are correct, it goes right back out through the scuppers...
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:19 AM   #23
Orion

Default another outboard advantage

If you boat early or late in the season, you don't have to worry about freezing with an outboard. It doesn't retain any water in the engine like an I/O or inboard. An especially key consideration if you rack a boat.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #24
KBoater

Default Things that work

I agree with the things that have been said Here are things I found about an island boat that are musts.
1) high freeboard, 2) washable fiberglass floor, 3)good helm coverage, 4)bow that can be closed in, 5)good space in the cockpit, 6)some place to fit long items.

This being said I opted for a Wellcraft bowrider with a canvas bow cover that I still own. It worked perfect. They are not making them any more.
In FL, I had Grady White which would have worked. If you can afford a Grady go for it. Perfect rough weather boat with good space.
I now have a Seawhirl (Thurstons) which would also work.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #25
Patiently Watching

I would strongly agree about the Eastern. They are solid, easy to maintain and great in all weather. My friends have the blue one mentioned above and have loved it since they bought it last June. Nice to look at, efficient on fuel and easy to maintain. What more could you ask for.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #26
VtSteve

Quote:
Each year we go through the same drill, the old 1976 23' Slickcraft ss235 is really getting on in age and it would be nice to replace it.

The old boat does have some qualities that I suggest you would want for an island boat:
1. Good in foul weather - cuddy cabin to keep all that gear/tools dry, a lot of freeboard, canvas or roof overhead when running in rain, windshield wipers.
2. Good utility boat - can carry lumber (cabin door in center to accommodate long items), shingles (heavy), refrigerators, wood stoves and a load of overweight relatives/friends. A lot of open space in the back as opposed to wrap around seating with cup holders and stereo speakers.

I would suggest nothing smaller that 22' to 23'.

Brings back memories. Two of the best riding boats I was ever on were Slickcratfts. Even the 16 and 19 footers ride better than many boats of today. I knew many islanders. Pen Yan was popular, as was Bertram.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #27
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Brings back memories. Two of the best riding boats I was ever on were Slickcratfts. Even the 16 and 19 footers ride better than many boats of today. I knew many islanders. Pen Yan was popular, as was Bertram.

As the 23' Slickcraft is a great hull with a lot of utility capacity, we have not been able to part with the boat as Jeff Fay has been able to keep it running. We do worry about reliabillity and have given up trips around the lake, just use it as the transport to Welch and back. We did look into a new engine/outdrive but as an exact replacement is no longer made, geting a new unit installed would be a lot of $$ to invest in an old boat. Yes, there are old Pen Yans around the islands.
Anyway, the simplicity and utility of a new Eastern 22 is attractive for island use.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #28
Seeker

I looked at Easterns a few years back (live about 25 miles from them) but for my uses they just didn't fit. They do build a very seaworthy boat and it should suit commuting to an island and travel around the lake just fine.
The one thing I would check is to see if you can get a transom bracket like they use on their 26' for mounting the outboard. This would give you a full height transom (which I consider a necessity) and give you more interior space although it will probably increase you rack or slip fee if you pay by the foot.
It goes without saying that the looks of a lobster style hull are timeless and definitely New England.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #29
secondcurve

Default Grady White

Pat:

Why buy new? I have an awesome Grady White for sale. It is a 1989 Seafarer 22" 8" that was repowered in 2005. See my ad #22660 on this site. The only reason I am selling is because I have a 10 month old baby boy and another one on the way. I have no time for the water. The motor is a 2005 Yamaha 225 4-stroke with 150 hours on it. I'm only looking for $23,000. I have over $43,000 into the boat. I need money for diapers!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #30
Slickcraft

Default Grady White

Secondcurve:

I had intended to comment after IG posted the photo of the GW gulfstream 232, that does look like an island boat. Our neighbor on Welch has a GW and has been happy with it. Is your boat at Daves?
Old 05-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #31
secondcurve

It is at Dave's. He re-powered her in 2005. I've been all over the lake in that baby in all sorts of conditions and I've never had a problem. It isn't a fast boat (35 MPH full tilt), but it is stable, dependable and has lots of room since the motor is on a bracket.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:04 AM   #32
sea_n_ski

Default Check JD Power and Boat Test!

Check out JD Powers Rankings: http://www.jdpower.com/boats/ratings...l_results.aspx

Cobalt and Regal are a class above the rest. I just traded my Regal in for a Cobalt. After 9 years it was in show room condition and never had a single problem. I was even amazed the batteries (it had 2) never had to be changed. The fast track hull is much more efficient than a standard hull.

Also go to Boat Test www.boattest.com and register its free. Then look up the the models your are interested in. They will give mileage, speed and a detailed analysis. With the price of gas, you really have to consider the hull design. You may save on the boat, but the fuel could kill you. We are looking at $4 plus gas this summer.

Good luck!
sea_n_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #33
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_n_ski View Post
Check out JD Powers Rankings: http://www.jdpower.com/boats/ratings...l_results.aspx

Cobalt and Regal are a class above the rest. I just traded my Regal in for a Cobalt. After 9 years it was in show room condition and never had a single problem. I was even amazed the batteries (it had 2) never had to be changed. The fast track hull is much more efficient than a standard hull.
You'll find Grady White at the top of the Coastal/Fishing boat list on the JD Powers site since pretty much forever...

What Regal model did you trade in? What Cobalt did you get? Just curious.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #34
sea_n_ski

I had a Regal LSR 2800 (28 ft bow rider) and purchased a Cobalt 252. Yes I decided to downsize. The Cobalt actually weighs more than the Regal. The Cobalt just blew me away! I bought it from East Coast Flightcraft in Meredith and Middleton MA.
sea_n_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 AM   #35
Dave R

Thanks.

I've owned a 2100 LSR and now have a 2550 LSC. I've spent a bit of time on a Cobalt 240 as well. Nice boats.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 AM   #36
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
A friend has an Eastern on Rattlesnake and remarked that weather is rarely a factor anymore in getting to/from the island. They also noted that island life requires more transportation/utility than comfortable seating and tubing for the kids. I also like that Eastern offers the "Lobster Boat". What else would you want to haul stuff in during rough conditions?
The all-weather Eastern is perfect for Winni, even more so when living on an island. That said, Grady-White has had top billing for decades.

Unfortunately, the Eastern plant had a fire last week, so production has been hampered.
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0/0/FOSTOOLS01
2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #37
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blackdogs View Post
The all-weather Eastern is perfect for Winni, even more so when living on an island. That said, Grady-White has had top billing for decades.

Unfortunately, the Eastern plant had a fire last week, so production has been hampered.
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0/0/FOSTOOLS01
There are lots of rumors floating around about this, I am not going to be the one to post them though...

Eastern has a company has been on the market for a few years for sale.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #38
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
There are lots of rumors floating around about this, I am not going to be the one to post them though...

Eastern has a company has been on the market for a few years for sale.
Did the fire start in the accountant's filing cabinet?

Not as effective with computers and back-up files
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #39
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

It was spontaneous combustion........the mortgage and insurance policy rubbing together.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote