Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
jrc

Default Windy Docking Experts

Ok any docking experts out there?

I have to back into my slip. My slip has a dock on the starboard side and another boat to port. There is nothing between me and the next boat, it's about 2 feet away.

When the wind blows across the slips and blow me towards the next boat, docking is challenging. I have to try and get in before the wind takes my bow. I put out fenders but I would still rather not bump the boat.

Any hints? My boat is a twin engine sterndrive boat with no bow thruster.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Ok any docking experts out there?

I have to back into my slip. My slip has a dock on the starboard side and another boat to port. There is nothing between me and the next boat, it's about 2 feet away.

When the wind blows across the slips and blow me towards the next boat, docking is challenging. I have to try and get in before the wind takes my bow. I put out fenders but I would still rather not bump the boat.

Any hints? My boat is a twin engine sterndrive boat with no bow thruster.
Do you rent?

If so, seek another slip. There are some available...
Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
WeirsBeachBoater

Well, that is certainly a bit of a challenging situation. You really have to pick your moment. But if there is a wind and you have no choice it really boils down to your initial approach. If you get yourself lined up, or upwind so that when you get to the slip you are centered, you have to use the BIG MO... Momentum. If you keep up some momentum, it will make it harder for the wind to take you. Get the boat in and stop it. Putting the fenders out isn't the worst idea, but I think the key is to get your boat in there, and stop it, at least then if the wind does get you, the boat may only bump into your neighbors, versus hitting it with your stern. Do you know what I mean? It is a lot easier to show you, than to put it in words on here.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
RI Swamp Yankee

Depending on how far apart the engines are, Port running forward and Starboard running in reverse may give it a slight twist to turn the bow to starboard. I have seen some bigger twin screw boats do it but don't know if it works on a sterndrive.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Depending on how far apart the engines are, Port running forward and Starboard running in reverse may give it a slight twist to turn the bow to starboard. I have seen some bigger twin screw boats do it but don't know if it works on a sterndrive.

Works on sterndrives too. Mine had counter rotating drives and what I found was even when pointing straight the port drive would pull the stern toward starboard and the starboard drive would pull the stern toward the portside.

Knowing that and playing one drive in forward really was the trick for me. Well, in addition to lining up off center to start with. Alot of the time I would run one drive in reverse and sometimes nudge the other in and out of forward gear to keep the bow in line. I usually tried to keep the drives pointing straight ahead, unless I needed to make an adjustment to swing the stern over.

Hope that helps.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 06:42 AM   #6
Audiofn

Go out on the lake and practice backing up with one drive in forward and the other in revers. The drive in forward will have more drive then the one in reverse so you keep the RPM's of that motor lower then the one in reverse. If you practice out away from everything then you will be able to see what different things do and how it makes the boat move. You will feel a little weird doing it and people may think that you have lost your mind but it is better then crashing into the dock or worse some one elses boat.
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
JTA

It's not an embarrassment to use a boat hook IMHO.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
Lakegeezer

Default back off and try again

While I'm not a dual-drive boat driver, there is a universal skill that I was taught while learning to fly that applies to boating too. If your approach is not going well, back off and try again. Of course in flying, backing off is tough, so they call it a "go-around". Always be planning how you would abort the landing. Keeping this in mind impacts how you plan your angle of attack and how much momentum you come in with. Some pilots worry that trying again will be met with guffaws, and in some cases, it will be. Shake it off. The more confidence you have in the ability to abort the docking and try again, the more confidence you will have in making the tough approaches. My dock is very nasty to get into on a windy day, especially when combined with monster wake. At times it has taken me four approaches before I get it right. You should have pride in your ability to dock a boat, but not so much that you damage your boat, other boats or the dock.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Dave R

Any way you could get a spring line, attached to a mid-ship cleat, on an upwind piling, as you go by it, while backing up? If you choose the length of the spring line properly, the boat will gently pull itself toward the piling as tension from the engines and momentum builds on the spring line.

If a piling is available, but space is too tight for a mid ship spring line, you can run two spring lines, one form a bow cleat, and one from a stern cleat on the same side, to the piling. The idea is to get the boat tight to the piling, with the piling at about the midship point. Use reverse (on the outside engine only) and the steering wheel turned toward the piling side, to gently pivot around the piling.

If no piling is available, I'd have to see what the situation is like to make a recommendation.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
Orion

Default no so fast

Dave R has the best approach. I don't recommend getting much momentum up in reverse since control in reverse is always difficult and less predictable and you're more likely to cause damage to your or other's boats. Slow and methodical. I like to have a bowline attached and run all the way back to someone standing in the rear of the boat. That way than can pass it around the end dock piling as it goes slowly by and step out on the dock to keep tension on the bow toward the dock as the boat is eased into the slip. A second person on the stern line is best if available. Once there are two people on the dock with lines, you can pull it in with the lines.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
Woodsy

Kudos to Dave R! He beat me to it as I was working on my diagrams...

Spring line is the way to go if at all possible! and you can do it by yourself! no extra personell needed!

Woodsy
Old 08-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
Pricestavern

Default Lines

You can always use your lines. Google "Docking", "Docking in a slip", etc for a wide variety of tips and techniques.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
jrc

Thanks for all the advice so far. This my third year with a twin so I know, in general, how things should work. Before I either had a smaller boat or a piling between me and my neighbor to simplify things. I own the slip so I want to make it work.

Usually, I can steer the boat well enough to get in the slip but there is no room for error. Sometimes I have to go around again. I have two boat hooks and I'm not afraid to use them. But I have a closed bow so once I'm in the slip it's a scramble to get off the boat and grab a bow line before she blows into my neighbor.

I've seen drawings with spring lines before and I feel like there is a solution there. But I really haven't figured out how to make the cleat positions, line length and dock pilings work out yet.

We are expecting some wind this weekend so I'll get some more practice. Maybe I can try out some of the suggestions.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
Dave R

Figure out the length of the spring lines while the boat is tied up and preset the length for use when getting back. A bowline knot in a dock line is a good start.

This may mean dedicated lines for this one application, but if you own the slip, that's not really a problem. You probably already have extra dock lines on board. I carry six braided docks lines, two 15' and four 25'; two 50', 3-strand nylon general purpose lines, a 50' 3/8" line for my throwable cushion, two anchors/rodes, and a 100' tow line on my 25', single engine boat.

If it were my boat and my slip, I'd make them out of 1/2" 3 strand nylon with big eye splices on each end. Looks classy and 3 stand nylon is nice and stretchy, a big advantage in this application. Eye splices in 3-strand only take a few minutes to make with a little practice.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #15
WeirsBeachBoater

I guess when I replied late last night I wasn't thinking about lines, but I agree if you can get to the slip a Spring line would be your best bet.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #16
Ropetow

Dave R has it right, IMHO. Was starting to scribble a diagram myself when I saw his post. I can have issues with wind but moreso current. And having a boat hook available may not look pretty, but it can help.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
codeman671

The one problem in Gilford Yacht Club is that we don't really have "pilings", most if not all of the docks have very weak, flexible 1x or 2x stock as tie posts. A spring line setup with that much force on the post may break it off. I have seen it happen in there before.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #18
jrc

Shhh... it's a secret that I'm in GYC I don't want all the people I ticked off "visiting" me.

Yes the "pilings" are very wimpy. I've already had one break when I wasn't there, it was rotten. I'm not thinking about putting a lot of force, just keeping the bow where it belongs. The docks there really aren't made for contact or agressive techniques.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #19
billhurley

Default One related question?

I have a similar dock situation to JRC. I goggled like Pricestavern mentioned and I read a few comments that mention the trim of the stern drives. It mentioned trimming up a little to get a better angle. Is that what most people do? I have always brought mine down all the way when I am coming back into the marina.

I am always trying to refine backing into my slip.

Thanks Bill
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
NoBozo

One thing I have discovered in over 40 years of boating and dealing with docking in a "permanent" slip. The dock I was tied up to was a floating dock and rose and fell about 5 feet every tide change. I used dock lines made of "Polypropyline" which has NO stretch compared to nylon. Secondly, these dock lines were permanently attached to the DOCK at just the right predetermined length..... NOT to a piling. Eyesplice or bowline on the boat end. They stayed on the dock when I went out.

I backed into the slip (32 Sailboat) and picked up my lines one at a time with a boathook (I was usually singlehanded) and dropped them over a cleat on deck. I did have an advantage in that the keel drew nearly 6 feet of water so a crosswind was somewhat less of a factor in that it gave me a little extra time before the wind started to act on the boat. I also had a 50 foot mast which offered windage.

Anyhow, to learn how to do this, I would go down to the marina during a weekday when there was little or no activity and PRACTICE..and PRACTICE.

One thing I have also learned when docking, particularly when docking at an "away dock", is to DECLINE HELP from well meaning strangers on the dock who would offer to help. by taking my lines. Quite often they will pull on the line and "upset" your approach and lead to unplanned/unecessary dificulties. It also never hurts to have "Fenders" rigged before you approach the dock.

Just my thoughts. NoBozo
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #21
Toyorelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhurley View Post
I have a similar dock situation to JRC. I goggled like Pricestavern mentioned and I read a few comments that mention the trim of the stern drives. It mentioned trimming up a little to get a better angle. Is that what most people do? I have always brought mine down all the way when I am coming back into the marina.

I am always trying to refine backing into my slip.

Thanks Bill
Easiest way to do it is to have a few friends waiting at the dock when you come in. Right Bill?

Matt
Toyorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:05 AM   #22
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyorelle View Post
Easiest way to do it is to have a few friends waiting at the dock when you come in. Right Bill?

Matt
Yes, this is my most important solution as well. Friends make boating fun and boating makes new friends.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:12 AM   #23
billhurley

Matt is right on. Having friends help is the best way.

At our marina everyone helps.
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #24
Winnipesaukee Divers

Quote:
"One thing I have also learned when docking, particularly when docking at an "away dock", is to DECLINE HELP from well meaning strangers on the dock who would offer to help. by taking my lines. Quite often they will pull on the line and "upset" your approach and lead to unplanned/unecessary dificulties. It also never hurts to have "Fenders" rigged before you approach the dock."
I'm with you on this one. I always re-view my docking plan with my crew before we approach the dock. Each crew member is assigned a task (some are just told where to sit and be quiet) and one of the most important tasks not to give up the line to some well meaning bystander. Stopping 10 tons of boat before its planned is a disaster just waiting to happen: dock posts are snapped off, fingers and hands pinched, bones are broken or people are dragged off the dock.

Last weekend while docking in Meredith just such a thing happen; my first mate was standing on the starboard rail with the midship line in hand ready to step off and take a wrap on the dock post. A well meaning man standing on the dock, grabbed the line out of her hand, wrapped it around his wrist and took a stand prepared to stop the boat. It all happen so fast and was blocked from my view, the poor fellow was yanked off the dock into the water as he couldn't let go the line while I brought the boat to the planned stopping spot. We were lucky that time, no injuries or damage, but the docking lessons were reinforced yet again.

The best way to help someone dock a big boat is to stand well clear and wait to be asked to help. Another good point; is don’t distract the crew by asking questions or making comments until the boat is secured.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #25
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

When I approach a dock with a heavy wind from port or starboard,I drive straight in and have someone secure a bow line and then reverse right into the spot using the bow line a s a spring line.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #26
jrc

I'm sure we all agree that well meaning strangers and friends at your home port are very different.

Strangers at an away dock are a mixed bag. Once they have a line in their hands what do you do then? If I get a volunteer, I'm clear what I want them to do, hold the line, wrap it around a pole or cleat. But you have to be careful, some can't understand what you want them to do and some can't tie a knot. I never ask for help unless things are way out of whack and bumping is possible.

I usually tell my passengers not to do anything, my wife and I have a routine. Wind or mistakes on either part can upset the routine. We try not to yell
Old 09-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #27
islandAl

Default wind, friend or foe

If the wind is blowing towards the dock, let it aid you. Back in slowly and stop before the dock the wind will blow the lighter bow quicker and push the whole boat flush to the dock.
Harder when blowing away and you are alone.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #28
VtSteve

In my experience, the best thing people on the dock can do, is to fend the boat off if needed, gently holding a bow rail or whatever, and little else. I always have fenders deployed before approach.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote