Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
MJM

Default PWC at Night Bonehead!

My wife saw an incredible sight at the Wolfeboro docks Monday night around 8:30.

Marine Patrol was writing a ticket, so being curious, she wandered over to that particular dock....and couldn't believe her eyes! A waverunner, with a makeshift pole attached behind the seat vertically....with a GLOW STICK taped to the top of it!!! Seriously!

Imagine, we are all boating on the same body of water with a guy who would actually drive his PWC at night, with this as his stern light!

People amaze me.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Lakegeezer

Hey! He was trying. I've seen quite a few waverunners without any lights at all. Since they are officially boats, I'm surprised the manufacturers don't add a set of nav-lights to the package.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
Cristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
My wife saw an incredible sight at the Wolfeboro docks Monday night around 8:30.

Marine Patrol was writing a ticket, so being curious, she wandered over to that particular dock....and couldn't believe her eyes! A waverunner, with a makeshift pole attached behind the seat vertically....with a GLOW STICK taped to the top of it!!! Seriously!

Imagine, we are all boating on the same body of water with a guy who would actually drive his PWC at night, with this as his stern light!

People amaze me.
Gotta give him credit for being clever...a glow stick, that's just too funny!!
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
ApS

Default But a DECENT glowstick it was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
"...A waverunner, with a makeshift pole attached behind the seat vertically....with a GLOW STICK taped to the top of it...!!!
So that's what that was. It was set at a conventional angle in the conventional location, with just one aboard.

I saw him leaving Winter Harbor around sunset, and assumed I'd missed the red and green navlights. (Never saw him return). It's possible he read about navlights on Waverunners here!

This has been a "banner" year here for cottage rentals on Winter Harbor, and this may be a newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Hey! He was trying. I've seen quite a few waverunners without any lights at all. Since they are officially boats, I'm surprised the manufacturers don't add a set of nav-lights to the package.
I've seen unlighted kayaks out after dark, and one unlighted canoe well after midnight.

'Heard the canoers singing, actually—couldn't see them at all. As it turned out, the group was renting a cottage just a few cottages away.

The canoe was in camoflage colors!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
NightWing

Quote:
Possibly because the manufacturers don't condone nighttime operation.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
chipj29

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
That and in some states it is illegal to operate a PWC after dark, even with lights.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
That and in some states it is illegal to operate a PWC after dark, even with lights.

Which is the case in MA -- when I checked in Mass a few years back I was told by the MA Environmental Police they define a PWC as a device you ride "ON" and a boat is one you ride "IN". Regardless of the fact that my registration say "boat". As with NH PWC are illegal in MA at nite. Riding in a "Jet Boat" at nite (with proper Nav lights) is not
Old 08-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #8
gtxrider

Default camoflage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
So that's what that was. It was set at a conventional angle in the conventional location, with just one aboard.

I saw him leaving Winter Harbor around sunset, and assumed I'd missed the red and green navlights. (Never saw him return). It's possible he read about navlights on Waverunners here!

This has been a "banner" year here for cottage rentals on Winter Harbor, and this may be a newbie.

I've seen unlighted kayaks out after dark, and one unlighted canoe well after midnight.

'Heard the canoers singing, actually—couldn't see them at all. As it turned out, the group was renting a cottage just a few cottages away.

The canoe was in camoflage colors!
What colors do you use to camoflage a canoe at night? Light and dark black?
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider View Post
What colors do you use to camoflage a canoe at night? Light and dark black?
That would be water color
Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
SBC

Midnight Blue works well also. And that would explain why I can't find one of my vehicles sometimes.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Question Friday night

This is incredible! I counted 5 kayakers paddling up the Weirs channel around 9:30 PM with no lights! I ask them 'What the Heck!' One said they are going to see the fireworks! I yelled to them that they need lights and they ignored me.
The marine patrol was no where in sight that night. Matter of fact I have not seen them all afternoon! There were people illegally rafting at Braun Bay and in Winter Harbor. This was the busiest weekend I have seen as far as boat traffic and I saw little of the marine patrol. What happen?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
This is incredible! I counted 5 kayakers paddling up the Weirs channel around 9:30 PM with no lights! I ask them 'What the Heck!' One said they are going to see the fireworks! I yelled to them that they need lights and they ignored me.
The marine patrol was no where in sight that night. Matter of fact I have not seen them all afternoon! There were people illegally rafting at Braun Bay and in Winter Harbor. This was the busiest weekend I have seen as far as boat traffic and I saw little of the marine patrol. What happen?
MP is running low of funding, and is saving the $$ for the holiday weekend.

Just kidding. I was out on the Merrimack in Bow on Saturday. There were 2 different MP boats out there. Very unusual. I can go a whole summer without seeing MP out there once. Two in one day, and not a particularly busy day either. Strange...made me wonder if someone called MP and complained about some kind of problem in that area.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
watrskir

Default not unusual for mp to be on merrimack

Chip sat. was pembroke and allenstowns old home day and it is very common for marine partol to have 1 if not 2 boats down there for this day.
watrskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #14
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrskir View Post
Chip sat. was pembroke and allenstowns old home day and it is very common for marine partol to have 1 if not 2 boats down there for this day.
Ahhh well that would explain it.
But I have to ask...what goes on in the water that would necessitate MP be there for that event? I heard a band, and saw a bunch of parked cars, but saw nothing even remotely close to the water. There was not even much boat traffic.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #15
watrskir

Default fireworks on the merrimack

Nothing really goes on in the water except they have fireworks at dusk. I usually attend and there have been some great get-togethers up on the island past white sands......we sometimes camp out also.....one year had a wedding reception and band up on the island(with generators)....the cops didnt like that much but they were ok after we told them the island would be cleaner when we left then when we came......be careful down there though--rocks and bizer still has yet to make a map.....i will show you the way someday>>>dont tell anyone though.......the river is a great secret............OPPS
watrskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrskir View Post
Nothing really goes on in the water except they have fireworks at dusk. I usually attend and there have been some great get-togethers up on the island past white sands......we sometimes camp out also.....one year had a wedding reception and band up on the island(with generators)....the cops didnt like that much but they were ok after we told them the island would be cleaner when we left then when we came......be careful down there though--rocks and bizer still has yet to make a map.....i will show you the way someday>>>dont tell anyone though.......the river is a great secret............OPPS
Shhhhhhhhh....
PM incoming, don't want to hijack the thread....