Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Chris333

Default Low Wake Zone in Small Coves?

We live on a small cove on the lake and have watched, over a period of 40 years, the change in attittudes and boating styles in the cove. Once people were careful and kept the wakes down. Now no one seems to care, they speed around in the cove pulling children on rafts and tubes and the wakes are destroying the shoreline at many of the cottages. The waves lap against the shore all day and we have lost our beach land even though we put up a rock wall to lessen the erosion. Further, there used to be canoers and kayakers and small sailboats in the cove; but they get swamped by the large boats. Should there be a "low wake zone" in the small coves where the erosion effect of the waves is so great???????
Chris333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default More than coves have the problems

This is not just a cove problem. Part of my shoreline has been pushed back over three feet in the 18 years we've been here. Its located least 300 feet from the typical boat traffic lane, but wake from the large displacement boats still has plenty of punch at that distance. Most of the erosion happens when the lake is flooded, as it is now. The past weekend, boat wake took its toll on the shoreline again. Economically, I can't imagine NH putting limits on boat displacement, even during floods. It would be useful if the DES offered solutions to shoreline owners that would address the problem in the most lake-friendly (and legal) way.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris333 View Post
We live on a small cove on the lake and have watched, over a period of 40 years, the change in attittudes and boating styles in the cove. Once people were careful and kept the wakes down. Now no one seems to care, they speed around in the cove pulling children on rafts and tubes and the wakes are destroying the shoreline at many of the cottages. The waves lap against the shore all day and we have lost our beach land even though we put up a rock wall to lessen the erosion. Further, there used to be canoers and kayakers and small sailboats in the cove; but they get swamped by the large boats. Should there be a "low wake zone" in the small coves where the erosion effect of the waves is so great???????
People are having a hard time understanding no wake and headway speed, I would hate for the MP or someone else to be the arbitrar of what is a low wake!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
People are having a hard time understanding no wake and headway speed, I would hate for the MP or someone else to be the arbitrar of what is a low wake!
low wakes pretty easy for a planing boat because on plane it's much less wake than anything over headway speed, I far prefer the morons who run up the channel in front of my house at 25 mph than the bass and pontoon boats at 8-10 putting up as much wake as they can.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Chris333

Default Low Wake v Headway Speed

You are absolutely right. My terminology is archaic. I should have said "headway speed"...that was the correct way to say it. Thank you!!!
Chris333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links