Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Smitty1

Default Water Skiing/Tubing Laws

Does anyone know the law of what is the earliest/latest that you can ski/tube/wakeboard on the Lake?

Thanks!

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
John A. Birdsall

Default ski/raft/etc

While I do not have it in front of me, it seems to me that the rule says 1/2 hour before sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise, all time inbetween is taboooooo

But in line with that I seen a lot of violations in Alton area this weekend where there were three people on a tube (no No) and then only a driver and one lookout who happens to look to be only 10 years old.

Time to get that lakers users guide out. Gives a somewhat idea of the laws.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
NightWing

TITLE XXII
NAVIGATION; HARBORS; COAST SURVEY
CHAPTER 270-D
BOATING AND WATER SAFETY ON NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC WATERS
Section 270-D:3
270-D:3 Motorboats Towing Water Skiers and Aquaplanes. –
I. No person shall operate a motorboat while towing water skiers, aquaplanes, or similar devices unless another person is present in the motorboat who is physically able to observe and assist the person or appurtenance being towed. The observer shall be 13 years of age or older.
II. The operator of the motorboat shall be responsible for compliance with the navigation requirements under this subdivision for both the vessel and the person or appurtenance being towed. In addition, any person being towed by a motorboat shall comply with all navigation rules.
III. No more than 2 persons may be towed on water skis, aquaplanes, or other devices from the same motorboat at the same time. When 2 persons are being towed, 2 observers, in addition to the operator, shall be in the towing vessel. Such observers shall be 13 years of age or older. Notwithstanding this paragraph, more than 2 skiers may be towed if a special permit is issued by the director.
IV. Except in connection with water events and exhibitions authorized by the director, no towing of water skiers, aquaplanes or similar devices shall be conducted during the period between sunset and sunrise.
V. No person shall be towed on water skis or other appurtenances unless the person is wearing a Coast Guard approved type 1, 2, or 3 PFD, except when directly participating or competing in an American Water Ski Association approved event or exhibition, authorized by a special permit issued by the director of safety services.

Source. 1990, 171:1. 1994, 200:1, eff. May 24, 1994.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Pineedles

Default Earliest latest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty1 View Post
Does anyone know the law of what is the earliest/latest that you can ski/tube/wakeboard on the Lake?

Thanks!

Smitty
I wouldn't do it any later than December and definitely no earlier than April. Check the ICE-In and ICE-Out dates there have been exceptions.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
While I do not have it in front of me, it seems to me that the rule says 1/2 hour before sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise, all time inbetween is taboooooo

But in line with that I seen a lot of violations in Alton area this weekend where there were three people on a tube (no No) and then only a driver and one lookout who happens to look to be only 10 years old.

Time to get that lakers users guide out. Gives a somewhat idea of the laws.
I think the spotter per tuber/skier rule and the age requirement for the spotter is kind of ridiculous, theres been times we want to put 2 tubers out and can't even though once the first rider goes off your going to pull back around and my 8 year old who drives the boat very well is certainly responsible enough to tell me whether theres a rider in the water.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossipeeboater View Post
I think the spotter per tuber/skier rule and the age requirement for the spotter is kind of ridiculous, theres been times we want to put 2 tubers out and can't even though once the first rider goes off your going to pull back around and my 8 year old who drives the boat very well is certainly responsible enough to tell me whether theres a rider in the water.
Your 8 year old may be perfectly capable of telling you that a skier is down but would not be physically capable of offering much assistance if both skiers go down. With 2 tubers,you need 2 spotters physically capable of offering assistance (lifting, pulling) plus a responsible person at the helm.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
lfm

For me the earliest is May, and the latest is October.

Seriously, I agree with OssipieBoater - the 13 yr old requirement is a bit much, So is Nanny Hampshire's new requirement for life jackets for kid's under 13.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
KonaChick

We did contact MP several years ago on this issue and they said they weren't really concerned that the person was exactly 13, just that they were physically able to get the person out of the water if need be.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
Cobalt 25

The NH laws concerning skiing, tubing, etc. used to seem excessive to me. However, after boating in other locations and seeing NO observers while skiing, as well as a guy on a jet ski pulling a banana tube with lots of kids on it back through the ocean surf through a crowd of swimmers, I see the need for some rules.

I disagree most with the limit of two people being towed behind a boat. As long as each person has their own observer, I believe towing a couple more people would be safe.

While on this topic, I may as well share some observations about the MP, gathered after boating on the lake since about 1960. If their mission is to help boaters, I feel that the administration needs to change their approach. This concept is not new to this forum. There have been so many times over the years when I feel they went out of their way to be unnecessarily intrusive. In the two or three times I asked for assistance over the radio, no response.

So, when I observed these unsafe practices at other locations, I had to chuckle at the fact that I thought to myself, "The Marine Patrol would go nuts if they saw that back on the lake!". Ya gotta have SOME laws!

And one more thing while I'm ranting- my son recently came off his motorcycle at speed. If you could see his helmet, you would wonder why NH does not have a helmet law. His helmet may have saved his life.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
Mr. Moyer

Default it's ludacris

I agree with ifb and ossipee boater on the age requirement for the lookout. Especially for the 2 tuber rule. It has gotten to the point that i can barely go wakeboarding or water skiing because we don't have the required 3rd adult. Do the math, if I'm skiing, my wife is driving, my 8 yr old can not look out, so we need the additional adult, its even worse if one of the kids wants to tube with mommy. It's definatly a far cry from the days when 2 could go out at 6am with a rearview mirror and ski until they were exhausted.
I'm aware of the written law, but lets be honest, if I was skiing and was passed out, the odds on my wife and her girlfriends being able to get my fat ass into the boat are quite slim. An 8 or ten year old is about as helpful.

On a side note, nightwing are you a marine patrol officer? I can almost count the seconds when someone writes an entry to the forum questioning any rule or activity of the MP, until you respond.
This nation was founded on the questioning of authority. We can not just blindly follow the direction of those who make laws. Take a look into the older laws still on the books in most staes and you will find many that you disagree with, and think are sensless. Also take a look at a few that have been repeled over the last 30 years (a list much shorter then those added, unfortunately) and you will find some very sensible removals. For each of these there was a time and a place, but they were questiond and thus removed. We are a nation, and more importantly a state that prides itself on consitently getting better. Without questioning of all things, this is impossible.
Mr. Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #11
chipj29

Where I take the kids water skiing, I will not go until I am sure that MP is not out. Why is that? I just don't want the hassle. My son is 12, and is 5' 6" and 140#. He is more than capable of spotting when my daughter is on the skis.
Not to mention the other idiots on the water who would likely invade my 150 ft, putting me and the kids in danger, as well as in violation of the law.

A few years ago my buddy was pulling a tube with his 2 kids on it. We all watched as a boat looked as though it was going to drive right between the boat and the tube. The boat turned away at the last second, passing within 20 ft of the tube. Needless to say, he got an earful.

Anyway, I prefer to do the skiing on weekdays when there is less traffic and hassles. The earlier in the day the better, although we are rarely (never!) out on the water at sunrise.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
MJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
And one more thing while I'm ranting- my son recently came off his motorcycle at speed. If you could see his helmet, you would wonder why NH does not have a helmet law. His helmet may have saved his life.
Peter
Instances like your son's does not make me wonder why NH does not have a helmet law. It makes me wonder why anyone would choose to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. BIG difference.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
Sman

Default Cobalt

I agree with everything you said, except this...

Quote:
I disagree most with the limit of two people being towed behind a boat. As long as each person has their own observer, I believe towing a couple more people would be safe.
if I understand you, towing, say 4 people is ok? man that is getting pretty busy back there, which means you have a driver and 4 people in the boat, with 4 ropes and likely 4 tubes...

you would need a big boat to haul 9 people and 4 tubes...I must have misunderstood you.
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
Squam Friend

I assume the original post was asking about times of day, and that has been answered, but since it came up, I'll throw out there that we have waterskied on Squam in every month except February. That is, actually skied, behind a boat, in open water (in full drysuits in the later and earlier months).
We chalked up March for the first time in 2006, a couple days before ice out in a big open area on Little Squam on a rare 80 degree March day. January we got in 2007, when we had that 50 degree stretch for a couple days and the ice had only formed on part of big Squam.
Squam Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman View Post

if I understand you, towing, say 4 people is ok? man that is getting pretty busy back there, which means you have a driver and 4 people in the boat, with 4 ropes and likely 4 tubes...

you would need a big boat to haul 9 people and 4 tubes...I must have misunderstood you.
Don't want to speak for him, but I assumed he was talking about pulling a tube that can hold multiple people.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #16
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman View Post

Perhaps Sman means this...

http://www.mcsports.com/product/inde...ductId=2553130

http://www.skitube.com/ski-tubes/4+-...0094+10101.cfm
Old 08-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Where I take the kids water skiing, I will not go until I am sure that MP is not out. Why is that? I just don't want the hassle. My son is 12, and is 5' 6" and 140#. He is more than capable of spotting when my daughter is on the skis.
Not to mention the other idiots on the water who would likely invade my 150 ft, putting me and the kids in danger, as well as in violation of the law.

A few years ago my buddy was pulling a tube with his 2 kids on it. We all watched as a boat looked as though it was going to drive right between the boat and the tube. The boat turned away at the last second, passing within 20 ft of the tube. Needless to say, he got an earful.

Anyway, I prefer to do the skiing on weekdays when there is less traffic and hassles. The earlier in the day the better, although we are rarely (never!) out on the water at sunrise.
I personally see a huge difference between a 12 year old and an 8 year old as a spotter - yes, both are easily distracted, but I would want the 12 year old all other things being equal.

As far as PFDs are concerned, regardless of the law my kids (ages 13 and 10) and any others under 16 wear PFDs on my boat. If they don't like it, they can stay on land!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #18
Sman

Default interesting pic

first time I have seen one of those, pretty funny, probably fun once then not so much, so I guess if you want to do that on winni you can't

would be handy though if you had a bunch of visitors that all wanted to go tubing, one ride and everyone is done. you would need 5 more friends to observe
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
chipj29

Rode on one of those in the Bahamas while on my honeymoon. One guy that was with us and I went for a couple rides, sitting in the very back (this banana tube had 2 rows of seats). We were goofing around, and we both fell off...twice. One more time and they were going to boot us.
It was a blast though! Water temp musta been 95+. Not refreshing, but still fun!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #20
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I personally see a huge difference between a 12 year old and an 8 year old as a spotter - yes, both are easily distracted, but I would want the 12 year old all other things being equal.

As far as PFDs are concerned, regardless of the law my kids (ages 13 and 10) and any others under 16 wear PFDs on my boat. If they don't like it, they can stay on land!
I agree with the life jackets, I required anyone under 13 prior to the change and I'll agree not every 8 year olds capable but that should be the parents decision not some arbitrary age law, my wife stands no chance of pulling me in the boat if something happened so I'm at no more risk with him spotting than having her spot.

It's funny to me that my son is legally allowed to take a skiff with less than a 25hp motor out solo but is not allowed to tell me someone fell off the tube.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossipeeboater View Post
..............my wife stands no chance of pulling me in the boat if something happened so I'm at no more risk with him spotting than having her spot.
If that is the case, your wife is disqualified as a spotter:

No person shall operate a motorboat while towing water skiers, aquaplanes, or similar devices unless another person is present in the motorboat who is physically able to observe and assist the person or appurtenance being towed. The observer shall be 13 years of age or older.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #22
DickR

The key words seem to be "physically able to observer and assist..."

Consider just how big and strong a person would have to be to be able to reach over the side of a boat, grab a 150 lb (+ or -) perhaps unconscious adult at water level, and lift the dead weight over the side into the boat. Just grabbing the person at water level means having your own weight supported at your waist by the side of the boat, not your feet.

So what does "assist" really mean?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #23
chipj29

So is there going to be a new law that states that the boat driver or spotter must be a certain height/weight? Or physically larger or able to get someone out of the water?
Next thing you know, you will have to take a test and be certified to tow a skier or be a spotter.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #24
Pineedles

Default Hulk Hogan are you out there?

Dear Mr. Hogan,
I don't know if you ever get up to Lake Winnipesaukee but if you do please look me up. You see I am 6' 6" and 250 lbs. and I like to water ski, and there is no one big enough to lift me into the boat in case I become unconscious. So, if you are up here, perhaps you would be kind enough to be my spotter in the boat when I ski. Thanks.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #25
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moyer View Post
...Do the math, if I'm skiing, my wife is driving, my 8 yr old can not look out, so we need the additional adult,....
I think technically, you could have your 8 year old son drive the boat and have Mom be the lookout and be within the law.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #26
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
So is there going to be a new law that states that the boat driver or spotter must be a certain height/weight? Or physically larger or able to get someone out of the water?
Next thing you know, you will have to take a test and be certified to tow a skier or be a spotter.
I think I saw a Mythbusters episode where they waterskied behind a rowboat. Just think, no spotter required and no speed limit to worry about.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #27
chipj29

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I think I saw a Mythbusters episode where they waterskied behind a rowboat. Just think, no spotter required and no speed limit to worry about.

I also saw them waterski behind a cruise ship. There were about 500 spotters on the back of the ship! Of course they would have needed one guy to have really long arms to get him back on board...lol
Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #28
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
I think technically, you could have your 8 year old son drive the boat and have Mom be the lookout and be within the law.
That's true but only if the Mom has her Safe Boating Certificate!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #29
John A. Birdsall

Default sking between ice in and ice out

Seems to me if you start in open water that the boats prop would break up the ice orf keep the water moving so you could ski at least till you ran out of gas. I don't think I would want a spill though
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #30
SBC

NH's revised requirement for mandatory PFDs for those under thirteen (13) years of age has it's foundation in US Coast Guard regulations. Got a problem with that?

NH's observer age and 'assist' requirements as well as the number of people you tow are laws that you all put in place years ago and are founded in common sense and experience. Got a problem with that?

Dont' like common sense, caution, courtesy? I might suggest taking your boating recreation to other states that conform to what you think the law(s) should be. Sorry to be that way but we won't miss you and we will have more fun on our lakes without having to watch out for the likes of you endangering us and adding to the accident/death statistics.

I've seen a lot of whining in these forums but to jeopardize the lives of those you are towing by thinking that an 8 year old or an 88 year old can do what is required is your attempt to subvert the intent of the law.

Just MHO
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #31
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
I've seen a lot of whining in these forums but to jeopardize the lives of those you are towing by thinking that an 8 year old or an 88 year old can do what is required is your attempt to subvert the intent of the law.

Just MHO
It's tough to reconcile laws with common sense, but the observer laws seem to be pretty fair. The trouble with all these meat little laws is that they are broken day in and day out. Laws are fantastic sometimes, but only if they get outside the books and out in the real world. For every safety inspection done by the MP's, I'd venture a guess that there are about 50 (WAG) towing laws being broken just during that inspection. I don't know how many are ever stopped for these violations, but I do know they occur with alarming repeat frequency.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #32
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
NH's revised requirement for mandatory PFDs for those under thirteen (13) years of age has it's foundation in US Coast Guard regulations. Got a problem with that?

NH's observer age and 'assist' requirements as well as the number of people you tow are laws that you all put in place years ago and are founded in common sense and experience. Got a problem with that?

Dont' like common sense, caution, courtesy? I might suggest taking your boating recreation to other states that conform to what you think the law(s) should be. Sorry to be that way but we won't miss you and we will have more fun on our lakes without having to watch out for the likes of you endangering us and adding to the accident/death statistics.

Just MHO
I was tubing with my kids off of States Landing in Moultonborough yesterday afternoon after the first storm went through.

I had noted a blue Cobalt (new or close) because the driver seemed to not grasp some basic boating sense and kept my distance. We were floating a few minutes later and he came ripping by- 2 tubes, 2 tubers, 1 driver, no observer. What a donkey (and by the age of the operator it was his parent's 60K boat not his). It was a good lesson for my kids, if nothing else.

Use your heads people- your observers are there for your friends and families' safety, not for a check box on the "rules". I could care less what the law calls for in this case- I know what is proper and safe.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote