Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default living onboard the 51' Manitou

Located somewhere in Gilford, maybe at Fay's or Irwin's?

If anyone was thinking about shoving off from the rat race, and living aboard a large ocean sized yacht, here's one in Gilford It's very reasonably priced: A 1988, 51', docked in a covered slip,.....loaded....and...spaceous...and priced at 80 thousand dollars, mega motor yacht....wow...what a deal....an estate sale!

I do not believe there's any annual local property tax on a live aboard boat like this. At least not in coastal New Hampshire. Maybe yes in Maine?

For the excellent quality, multi photo listing & description, it's in craigslist NH under Manitou.

So, how does one turn this boat into a residence and a business expense, at the same time. Maybe a home office business like an oceanside doggie groomer, or an accountant's office? Home office for a new hedge fund called the 'Manitou Fund?' Definately not a restuarant!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-23-2008 at 07:58 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
brk-lnt

Looks like it could use some updating, and the fact that it's a gasser doesn't work in the sellers favor right now. Would be a nice boat for the money though.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Got to wonder about the hull construction? Is it made of aluminum, steel, or fiberglass? I believe the Doris E and Sophie C are World War Two boats, with hulls made of painted steel, and those look to be in excellent shape.

I think I would prefer aluminum or steel over fiberglass for an ocean boat. Fiberglass seems like it would detereorate and crack and not be as durable....but I don't know?

Aluminum thrives in the slightly acidic water of Winnipesaukee. Aluminum boats and outboard motors last forever, here.

You know, someone from europe or england or canada or south america or asia could buy that what with the very week US dollar.....and motor back to someplace where gasoline costs much less. It's a pretty good incentive for a yacht purchase like this.

Just look at what someone can get for maybe the foreign equivelent of 50 thousand dollars, That's $1000/ foot.....a very decent price especially if the hull is steel or aluminum.

It even has a dishwasher! My crummy cottage doesn't have a dishwasher & I have to pay $750/month to Meredith prop taxes. All I have is a dryer rack! No property taxes on a boat and it has a diswasher! This crazy state has wacky tax laws!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
codeman671

It is parked at Fay's and is a fiberglass hull.

It is a decent looking boat on the outside but definitely could use interior updating.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Just a short drive to the finest home furnishings and furniture store in Laconia, the Saint Vincent DePaul store. Lowe's in Gilford for new carpet. A new spray can of counter magic for the kitchen counters!

Plus living onboard a boat, you always have a waterfront view, and with zero property taxes. And, the slip fee could be maybe a 50% business deduction....lawyer, accountant, re broker...genuine business office like that.

I assume it remains in the water all winter and uses water circulators for the three months to remain ice safe.. They probably do not remove a 51'er.

That boat looks a lot like the boat that lives at Big Beaver Island, and is used for some business, motivational get-a-ways, or something.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
Gatto Nero

I was wondering where the Manitou was this year. We used to always see it at either Oliver Lodge or the big old house on Beaver Island. I believe it was owned by John Beaver, who past away this spring. That boat can sure throw up a wake.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
brk-lnt

It's obvious just looking at it that it is a fiberglass hull, as are the majority of boats in that size range. Save for Marionettes, I'm not aware of too many recent-vintage non-fiberglass hulls in that size range, but I'm sure there are some...

Fiberglass works perfectly well for ocean boats as the legions of Hatteras, Egg Harbor, Viking and similar ocean boat hulls will attest to.

There are TONS of gassers on the market right now going cheap, you really don't have to look too hard. Most of them are also on navigable waters, so you wouldn't have to pay the freight fees to move a boat like that from Winni to open water.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #8
ITD

That's too bad the gentleman died, I didn't know him personally, but he always waved when he was on his dock. He'll be missed....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #9
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
That's too bad the gentleman died, I didn't know him personally, but he always waved when he was on his dock. He'll be missed....
He used to put on a great fireworks show every July 4th too.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #10
lakershaker

I think that boat is actually a river boat, and wouldn't be good on the ocean - while long, it has a flat bottom and would probably ride rough in bad weather. I remember seeing Peter Fonda and Evil Kineval on it once...
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
WeirsBeachBoater

Having had the privilege of taking the Manitou out on the lake last year, I can tell you it is NOT an ocean boat. It is good here on the lake, but it was really designed as someone mentioned as a river boat. It only draws about 24 inches of water. We actually beached it to pick up passengers and swim off at a private residence.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote