Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ... $18 home-made roof racks!

Using a fat 48" foam noodle, and a length of pvc rigid tubing pushed down through the noodle's center hole both purchased at Lowe's, plus a Malone Roof System 10' web strap (eight dollars) purchased at Plymouth Ski & Sport for a semi-total of about $18, I was able to make a pretty decent cartop roof rack for safely moving a kayak or canoe.

To safely carry the 70-lb load of a 17' aluminum canoe and distribute the weight over a wider area of the car roof, I made up four roof racks units for a total of about $72, plus you get to chose the color of the fat foam noodle to match your car: green, red, blue, or yellow! Not designed to be left on the roof permanently, but just thrown on and tightened down temporarily when the need arises to move a kayak/canoe.

Besides securing the canoe to the noodle racks, it is definitely a good idea to secure a line from the bow to your car's front bumper as well.

Question of the day: Is it more aerodynamic to place a canoe on the roof face up, or face down? It seems to me that having the bottom with the keel of the canoe face down would be more aerodynamic and have less resistance to the 70-mph wind of driving Rt 93. U know when things go wrong with a canoe on the roof at 70-mph, they can go bad very quickly and abruptly.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Denny Crane

Default Home mad roof racks

The anticipation of your pictures is killing me.
I'll post pictures sometime of a redneck jet ski cooler/rod holder that I made for the ocean when I get a chance.
DC
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Rusty

I would put the canoe with the keel of the canoe face down so that when it comes off it would be a more efficient projectile. No one wants to see a canoe coming at them upside down.
KeepItSimple (10-10-2014), Reilly (10-09-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Many years of canoe on the roof rack experience, and we knew many others. Always carried it keel up as did everyone else that we have ever seen. Stable and, you know, it just might rain and a canoe on the rack face up full of water may not be the best idea. But by all means feel free to give it a try. Just try to let us know when you are on the road so we can stay clear.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
fatlazyless

The ten foot straps which are very well constructed and designed for roof tie-down use makes a loop around the roof and through the interior of the car so's to install each one only takes about a minute. You open all the doors, usually a car has four doors, and tighten down on the Malone webstraps.

The 48" x 3/4' rigid pvc tubing is flexible enough to curve somewhat to conform to the car rooftop, and the webstraps get threaded down through the center of the pvc pipe inside the center hole in the 48" fat foam noodles.

Four excellent tie-off points, one at each corner of the setup are where the strap exits the foam pad and makes a turn to get past the weather stripping and into the car, so's you have four easy-to-use tie-off spots for securing ropes or lines to hold down the canoe.

By attaching a pvc coupling to the end of each 48" pvc tube, it helps to keep the noodle in place and makes the tie-off area stronger or something.

All things considered, I am a total roof rack do-it-yourself genius, and this el-cheapo rack, for as little as $35 for two racks, can be thrown on the roof and secured in about one minute/rack ....... just when you need to move something like a 4x8' sheet of plywood.....or 12' long lumber..... or a 14' ladder.....or a 17' canoe/ 15' kayak....and don't want a semi-permanent rack made by Thule for $400.

As you know, you are totally legally responsible for any car accidents caused by items falling off your roof ..... like no kidding!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

I'd like to know where you can get a Thule kayak rack for only $400.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
You can find excellent used ones on Craigslist or the Lakes Region Yard Sale on Facebook. I have seen new old stock or discontinued models on nomorerack.com. Just Google the Thule model and go 'window shopping'

My son-in-law works for Thule in Conn. The employees don't get much of a discount for the products. They do have first dibs on discontinued.

Usually I shove my paddleboats into the back of my truck or Jeep. If I do attached it to my roof rack, the noodles FLL mentioned will not last long. I prefer furniture mats, which can be use for many things. Big Lots have tons of bungee cords and web straps to choose from. I find Big Lots and or Amazon cheaper than Wally World.
mcdude (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Dick's Sporting goods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Quick look at their website (Dick's) shows at least 3 racks in the $130-250 range.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
jrc

FLL, you can get this kit from Walmart for $18, which pretty much does what you did.

I have a kit like this and really the only hard part is lifting the kayak.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SeaSense-C...-Kit/10086714?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
Tired of Waiting

Default What??

FFL I'm having a problem!!

Your pictures won't load so I can see this new invention.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
drwamcross

Default Line from the Stern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Besides securing the canoe to the noodle racks, it is definitely a good idea to secure a line from the bow to your car's front bumper as well.
You do want a line from the bow because of the wind when driving on the highway but I don't want to be the person in front of you when you need to brake quickly and your canoe comes through my back window. As a former EMT, I have seen too many projectiles come off the roof of a car into the car in front of it.
drwamcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
FLL, you can get this kit from Walmart for $18, which pretty much does what you did.

I have a kit like this and really the only hard part is lifting the kayak.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SeaSense-C...-Kit/10086714?
Yes, this kayak rack is a similar design and set-up as my homemade rack.....only my racks are 48" wide and probably have better quality straps what with the Malone web-straps and better 4-corner tie-down spots. With all the friction inherent to the two or four 48" wide fat foam noodles....it makes for a very secure way to carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood or two or three sheets at the same time.

Malone makes a pair of inflatable roof racks for about $95 which are very sturdy and very well made.... www.maloneautoracks.com/handirack.php ..... except for the pair I bought were both defective with air leaks in identical locations.......so's I returned them to the kayak-hottub store in Meredith across from the Volvo dealer back in July.....and used the inflatable roof rack design as a model for my noodle racks....after seeing how much a set of Thule racks would cost.....u-know....necessity is the mother of .........!

Two fat noodles with pvc pipe pushed through the length of the inside hole measure about 48 x 4" each, so two noodles are pretty similar to the design of the inflatable rack, only there's nothing to inflate and no air leak problemos.

When not being used for hauling a canoe or something.....the noodle racks come off the car. Try doing that repeatedly with the Thule racks......on-off-on-off-on-off.......Thule....no-way!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-14-2014 at 07:36 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

These come right off too and are only an FLL friendly $18.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
Misty Blue

Default I knew it!

FLL:

I always thought that there was a redneck side to you!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #15
8gv

In CT we have a store called Ocean State Job Lot.

They often sell a roof rack that clamps to the rails for $50. It's 52" wide and holds 100#. They also sell kayak brackets that work with it for $40 a set.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #16
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Enjoy the damage that'll do to your paint job.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #17
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
In CT we have a store called Ocean State Job Lot.

They often sell a roof rack that clamps to the rails for $50. It's 52" wide and holds 100#. They also sell kayak brackets that work with it for $40 a set.
There are 11 Ocean State Job Lot stores in NH.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote