Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
songkrai

Default Energy Star Appliances

Looking at same size refrigerators. Same/similiar features. The dimensions and exterior surface are crucial at this point.

One is Energy Star rated. One is not.

The Energy Stary rated one is $900.00 more in price. Yes, this is for a new construction home with a nice HGTV type kitchen.

Pay more for the Energy Star rating or not?
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Here is what constitutes Energy Star rated

Here is a link to what constitutes an Energy Star rating. Look it over and decide whether you want to spend the extra money.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...ts.pr_how_earn

Methinks there is more to the difference than just the rating. Different brands? Both recognizable names? If I was doing an HGTV kitchen, I would not "cheap out" on appliances that I hope will last for many years.

Good luck with your project.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
songkrai

None are of the Sub-Zero type of expensive brands.

Regular GE/Hotpoint/Whirlpool/Electrolux(Tappan/Fridgedaire). But stainless steel. All good solid made in USA brands - the ones I am looking at. But not a standard 18 cubic foot. One of the more larger fancy 3 door types with water fountain ice maker and such.

My guess is that some models may be of an older design but still current model.

I personally don't care for stainless but the little lady insists. Stainless shows smudges much more then standard white. But anyone who watches HGTV - white is out for any "fancy" homes.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
thebix

Default Whirlpool GX5FHTXVY

Take a look at the Whirlpool GX5FHTXVY.
Consumer Report rated #1 for French Door models.

We bought it from Sears last spring for a complete kitchen makeover.
SS, Energy Star, good price compared to many others.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=1324760483421

We love it.
Has an ice maker, and filtered cold water dispenser just inside the door (so the outside is not scarred, and door space is not taken up)
We don't buy bottled water by the case any more!
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thebix For This Useful Post:
songkrai (12-24-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
brk-lnt

The annual operating cost of a modern fridge is about $60.

Without knowing all the specifics, the $900 premium probably has a 25 year payback plan in terms of potential operating cost savings between the two models.

I would choose the one that suits your tastes and budget. The majority of the "Energy Star" rated electronics and appliances are just marketing hype more than anything else. The Energy Star rating is not really all that specific, nor is it a guarantee that one unit will be cheaper to operate than a non-Energy Star unit.

Both units should have a label that gives you the estimated annual operating costs. Divide the difference into $900 and see what the payback time is.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

WE have recently been through the refrigerator thing. We got an Electrolux and finally after a year of hell and trying to repair it, they replaced it only to have that one do the same thing. It would not cool. It read 35 degrees but it was more like 45 inside. They finally gave us a store credit and we got a Bosch and have had good luck with that. We had to have the ice maker replaced on the Bosch but that has been the only problem. The Bosch is stainless steel, but I am with you songkrai, I don't like stainless steel because of the cleaning factor. But you are right, it is the "in" thing, if it isn't ss on HGTV, they don't like the kitchen.

I have a Viking oven which I have had for a long time-maybe 20 years and I hate it. So price does not necessarily make a good appliance.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
WE have recently been through the refrigerator thing. We got an Electrolux and finally after a year of hell and trying to repair it, they replaced it only to have that one do the same thing. It would not cool. It read 35 degrees but it was more like 45 inside. They finally gave us a store credit and we got a Bosch and have had good luck with that. We had to have the ice maker replaced on the Bosch but that has been the only problem. The Bosch is stainless steel, but I am with you songkrai, I don't like stainless steel because of the cleaning factor. But you are right, it is the "in" thing, if it isn't ss on HGTV, they don't like the kitchen.

I have a Viking oven which I have had for a long time-maybe 20 years and I hate it. So price does not necessarily make a good appliance.
Amen to that. Electrolux sucks! We had had multiple service issues with our dishwasher, washer and dryer, and refrigerator which are all Electrolux.

Lucky we had extended warranties on all.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

OHHH, poor you! I am so glad I only got the refrigerator and that we don't have that anymore!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

In regard to SS smudging, I just bought a Fridgidare SS side by side. When looking at different brands I was specifically looking at this issue by actually using my dirty paws to try and make fingerprints marks show. Many marked up easily. There are different finishes of SS and mine had a different type of brushed surface from the others. I've had it in use for 3 weeks now and it does not show smudges at all.