Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
Sal

Default Seasonal Depression

Today (11/17/14) I noticed my mood has become depressed, as it does every fall, when the sun seems to be driven away by the Grayness.

My personal theory is that my mood is a "zero sum" thing. It's way over the top in the late Spring, Summer and early Fall. Sunshine sparking on the water
makes my spirits soar. Then comes the GRAY and my mood goes way down low.

Am I alone? (Misery loves company)
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
ursa minor

Sal, sorry to hear you're down. I think we all get it to one degree or another; it's cold and dark in the morning when we leave and dark leaving work, throw cold rain or snow on top of that and it can definitely set you back. I usually have a few days in the March / April time frame when I'm done with winter and just want it to be warm so I can get back out on the lake.

Try to stay busy, I know some swear by the daylight lamps to make up for the lack of sunshine. Google "seasonal affective disorder" for more information. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Music Man

I'm also sorry to hear you're feeling down. Years ago there was a study done that basically confirms your notion: long shadows and less sun tend to lower most folk's mood.

There are those of us, however, who get invigorated with a chill in the air, any chance of snow, the thoughts of family, special desserts and holidays . A brisk walk just adds to the magic.

"It's the most wonderful time of the year..."

Anyway, I'd only suggest that, rather than dwell on it, you embrace it. Smile as you notice the special beauty that emerges when the leaves get out of the way. If there's fresh snow, step out and just listen to the stillness it provides. It's a library full of sounds that are usually drowned out. And enjoy the excuse for another cup of cocoa!
Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Music Man For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (11-18-2014), jeffatsquam (11-17-2014), rgilfert (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
wifi

Wow, already, and its only November.....
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Sal

Default wrong impression?

I think I may have created a wrong impression with my post. I an NOT
suicidal . . . just down.

I was guessing lots of Forumeers (Forumpers?)(?) would be feeling the same
and we could commiserate.

I have been considering one of the super-duper lights that mimic sunshine
supposedly tricking the body into a summer mind-set. We shall see. A good snow storm followed by bright sun the next day does the job.

Thank you for your concerns.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Wow, already, and its only November.....
In this region, November is the cloudiest month, climatologically speaking.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
goldengirl

Default Moody Blues

I'm with you Sal! The very short days make me feel gloomy too. I love when the sun sets late - it makes me feel alive. I feel like when it gets dark at 4 I should go home and get in my pj's and go to bed. But we haven't hit the winter solstice yet so the days will continue to get shorter still.
Honestly, you are definitely not alone, since we changed the clocks I hear everyone complain about the short days and how it would be nice if we could keep the "spring ahead" time all year.
goldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
Andrea.wiltfong

Default I notice but not as much as when I lived in Alaska

So I have always had a hard time this time of year, however, when I lived in Alaska it was much worse, not like omg I need meds, but noticed a difference big time in my mood. Up there everyone takes Vitamin D supplements in winter, it helps with that gloomy feeling. I take it here just not every day like I did up in Alaska.
Andrea.wiltfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
Smokienorm

Default Seasson Affective Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Today (11/17/14) I noticed my mood has become depressed, as it does every fall, when the sun seems to be driven away by the Grayness.

My personal theory is that my mood is a "zero sum" thing. It's way over the top in the late Spring, Summer and early Fall. Sunshine sparking on the water

There is a well-recognized physical ailment called Seasonal Affective Disorder, which apparently has something to do with a person's circadian rhythms and the melatonin levels in their brains.

Some people with SAD have obtained significant relief by the use of special lights designed to give you exposure to the full spectrum that would be available outside of winter.

If you are interested in those types of lights, just Google "SAD lights" and you will find lots of vendors. They are not a quick cure but they do help some people, especially in the Northern climes.

Good luck.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 AM   #10
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
In this region, November is the cloudiest month, climatologically speaking.
I never realized that, thanks. Guess I'm just used to it. I think of it as an in-between month, between summer fun and winter fun.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:34 AM   #11
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Embrace it..

“Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence.
Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance.
Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence.
Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance.”
Yoko Ono

As an avid photographer , I find the changing seasons to be pretty cool. I could never live in a place were the leaves didn’t change, were it never snowed, were the water didn’t freeze over, were the various wildlife didn’t come and go with the seasons and the birds didn’t migrate.

I really like that first BIG snowstorm, the humming birds coming back, and the sounds of the geese on there way out of town!

My sister lives in Fairbanks.. I once asked her what they did in summer up there.. she said.. “If summer comes on a weekend .. we have a cookout” LOL That just wouldn’t work for me..
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #12
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Yoko Ono

As an avid photographer , I find the changing seasons to be pretty cool. I could never live in a place were the leaves didn’t change, were it never snowed, were the water didn’t freeze over, were the various wildlife didn’t come and go with the seasons and the birds didn’t migrate.

I really like that first BIG snowstorm, the humming birds coming back, and the sounds of the geese on there way out of town!

My sister lives in Fairbanks.. I once asked her what they did in summer up there.. she said.. “If summer comes on a weekend .. we have a cookout” LOL That just wouldn’t work for me..
Yeah missing the change of seasons would stink. Who needs Aruba 80 every day swimming, boating sun bathing year round. Ah give me the icy roads, snow blowing, scraping car windows any day.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
Old Hubbard Rd (12-21-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
PaugusBayFireFighter

I retired a couple years ago, unexpectedly, and decided to move to Laconia full time after only summering on the Lake. My first winter was awful. Going from 60 hours of work in a big city to idle on the couch. Watching the snow blow across the lake ...I felt like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.
After a year of reflection I went into last winter with a hobby, projects and a new found appreciation for the same quiet and snow blowing over the lake.
I looked forward to this winter with the same excitement as summer. If you told me that two years ago I'd say you're crazy..but, it happened. It's almost all in your head and winter becomes what you make of it.
Vitamin D deficiency is a condition most of the posters/readers of this forum will have this winter without diagnosis. It's common around here. Vitamin D is responsible for enhancing intestinal absorption of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphate and zinc. In humans, the most important compounds in this group are vitamin D2 and vitamin D3. When you can't absorb these essential nutrients your mood suffers. I take a Vitamin D3 supplement from November thru March.

Life's short...
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (11-18-2014), sum-r breeze (11-20-2014), Waterbaby (11-19-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
Misha888

Default You are not alone.

I agree with Paugus' suggestions. If you are over 50, your chance of being D deficient is high. My mom went and had her blood levels checked, zero D and after some modifications she was on her way to cheerier mornings.

Personally, the months in between swimming season when the slopes open are open/closed are my difficult times. I try and focus on projects that are uncomplete as finishing them heighten that "happy" factor.

And like another poster, I blame it on the clouds too.

Focus on nature and know that this too shall pass. Be well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post

Old 11-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #15
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Yoko Ono
While I've never been a fan of Yoko, she says it well.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
Andrea.wiltfong

SteveA

Bless your sisters heart....I was in Anchorage, a friend of mine in Fairbanks for a while and went to state hockey tournament up there every year, omg it is tougher up there than Anchorage, Summers were awesome up there, but yeah if it did fall on a weekend you def. had a bbq LOL.
Andrea.wiltfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #17
robmac

Is it Ice out yet
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
winnasake (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #18
LadyJane

I understand Sal, I also have S.A.D., you're not alone. What I try to do in "the dark months" is to plan projects that help to occupy my mind, learn something new, have little goals or treats to plan for and look forward to. Here is one of mine: in three weeks I'm coming up to the lake ! yes, the sunset there is even earlier than here in Ct. , but it's a wonderful "time out" and it gives me a boost. You can explore a new hobby, take a class somewhere, do something creative...it is so healing, and be with people, that helps too.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #19
Donzi Minx

Default Seasonal Depression

Gee Sal,

You are in Lynnfield, I am in Melrose, it seems much sunnier here with Mr. Baker rounding the corner! Number three son deals with the seasonal depression as well. Hope you improve soon. We are blessed to have our New England Seasons.
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default I tend to ignore it

And keep myself busy. Otherwise I get the 'blues' when I am resting on the couch.

Tons of activities to do year round! I just can't understand those that say 'There is nothing to do'.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #21
Happy Gourmand

Take 2 Valium and call me after ice-out
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #22
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Gourmand View Post
Take 2 Valium and call me after ice-out
This could work too, Sal...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vPyhuhRNtBO0Dg
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Sal (11-18-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #23
jetlag100

When I was much younger, I noticed that I got that same way when fall came..so, when we built our house I put flourescent lighting under my kitchen cabinets and over my kitchen sink...now I know that it's not the fanciest lighting on the block, but, getting that bright light every morning, first thing, really helped....and still does
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #24
dickiej

From personal experience.....easy on the booze.....one winter, I thought it would help to hit the sauce all winter......made things worse (surprise!) go out doors as much as possible. Winter in New England is really extraordinarily beautiful.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #25
HomeWood

I'm the opposite. My mood gets better in the fall and winter. I enjoy the colder weather, the holidays, and getting up to the lake for fishing and sledding.

I like summer activities but I hate the heat and it puts me in a horrible mood. NC summers are miserable.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #26
8gv

I medicate with fried clams and ice cream sandwiches...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #27
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
From personal experience.....easy on the booze.....one winter, I thought it would help to hit the sauce all winter......made things worse (surprise!) go out doors as much as possible. Winter in New England is really extraordinarily beautiful.
I agree with getting outdoors. As painful as it is to get off the couch and leave the beautiful fire in the fireplace, a short period of time out in the sunlight and fresh air can make a big difference.

We asked for snowshoes for Christmas one year and have used them sporadically. We also ski and even if we get out for just a few runs, again, it makes a world of difference.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #28
Waterbaby

Default Vitamin D Deficiency

Wish I could find the whole file on things I have read about it but here is a basic synopsis -- The majority of people in the Northern part of North America suffer from a Vitamin D deficiency due to the shorter days year round, not just in the winter, because of the distance from the equator. Vitamin D is needed by our bodies to help our bodies absorb not just calcium, but a lot of other minerals as well. Vitamin D deficiency has been proven to affect moods - the less there is in the body the lower the mood. Some people are more susceptible to it than others.

Basically, the only way to get sufficient Vitamin D is to be in the sun with minimal clothing (if any lol) for a minimum of something like 1/2 hour daily. That, or take a Vitamin D supplement on a daily basis -- in a large dose, as only 1/4 - 1/2 of a supplement pill is actually absorbed by the body, the rest going out in waste fluids. That, or eat many servings of the greens, etc, which contain natural Vitamin D (which can lead to other, um, problems.... shall we say......). Me? I'm going to try one of the "Happy Lights" and see how it works....... I'm generally in a good mood year round, but I will admit to feeling more "worn out" during the colder months/shorter days. I'll get back to you all on that one!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #29
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I was stationed at Eielson AFB back in the late 60's and early 70's. A few months after the winter solstice in December, probably about early Feb, tempers got increasingly short with those living in the barracks, and also at the various clubs on base. As it got closer to late May, things settled back towards normal. It was commonly called "cabin fever" and it was very real. I spent 5 winters up there and cabin fever kicked in every year like clockwork. Shift workers were especially susceptible because on the shortest days, they would go to bed in the dark after working an overnight shift, and it would be dark again when they got up after 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #30
trfour

Smile Yes, I'm Seasoned...

And love’in it… Gypsy, Adventurer, a little nuts, as in weather. Choices to get out there an enjoy All Four Seasons, and I’ve found over many years that there is no better place on Earth than the Lakes Region here to do so .
Spring, seeing all of Natures splendor and beauty come back to life,
Summer, boating and exploring the Lake and happenings around,
Autumn and Fall, Priceless!!
Winter, getting out there and exploring, enjoying all of the wonderful happenings around the Lake, Ice fishing, Hockey, Curling, and the Winter Carnival in Alton, and snowmobiling to all points with Family and Friends… AWESOME!!!!

Now, did I mention choices, No Couch Potato for this O’l geezer, weather or otherwise…
Love, Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
PaugusBayFireFighter (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #31
CateP

Default 2-Hour Cure

Go see a colorful, musical, theatre performance.
There just happens to be one going on in Wolfeboro this weekend at the Village Players.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
trfour (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #32
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
There just happens to be one going on in Wolfeboro this weekend at the Village Players.
Now there's a shameless plug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
When I was much younger, I noticed that I got that same way when fall came..so, when we built our house I put flourescent lighting under my kitchen cabinets and over my kitchen sink...now I know that it's not the fanciest lighting on the block, but, getting that bright light every morning, first thing, really helped....and still does
You could also try replacing your "regular" flourescent tubes with these full spectrum versions, if you have compatible fixtures. Full spectrum lights should give you better results.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #33
Overlake97

Default Check out APA website info

From the American Psychological Association's website (apa.org):

http://www.apa.org/research/action/light.aspx

I'd also try clicking the more recent info from the National Institutes of Health (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/science...-rhythms.shtml). These are both legitimate organizations, with good information about the topic. Once inside their websites, you can probably find lots of other information. If not, just Google "Seasonal Affective Disorder" (SAD) and see what comes up.

Bottom Line: "SAD" is a real affliction, and there is a very effective treatment for it: More light. But certain types work better than others, and certain times of day work better also. A few people have posted links to places you can purchase these lights, but I'd check with a behavioral psychologist for advice before doing so.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #34
wynndog

Default lighting

I hear grow lights help alot. Might wanna try the new medical pot place opening up too.
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wynndog For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (11-26-2014), PaugusBayFireFighter (11-25-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #35
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
If you're looking for something to do later on this winter.....although I hear that the director can be difficult...!!!

Quote:

WOLFEBORO — Director Cate Poole and Assistant Director Jay Sydow will be holding auditions for the Village Players April 2015 production of Agatha Christie’s The Mousetrap at the theatre at 51 Glendon St. in Wolfeboro on Dec. 7 and 8 at 7 p.m.
The show takes place in late January 1949. An old manor guesthouse becomes snowed in and murder’s afoot as the characters are trapped by an insane murderer. Suspense and secrecy propel the action towards its surprise ending. The Mousetrap is the longest continually-running play in history

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #36
Billy Bob

Isen't that play kind of depressing ?
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #37
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Isen't that play kind of depressing ?
Maybe it will put all of us on an equal footing of being depressed ??

LOL, JK
Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #38
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Winter Solstice

It's all downhill from here, Sal!

Today is the first day of winter and the day featuring the least number of daylight hours and the longest night of the year.

Only 90 days till spring. In the mean time, enjoy the winter.

Last year on this day we were snow covered, ice on the lake and brutally cold. It seems like the month of December flew by. The mild temps and low oil prices are a far cry from where we were last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Sal (12-22-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #39
fatlazyless

....say-hey....if you really want to depress yourself....just go downhill skiing at www.waterville.com .....$65 for a lift ticket....and only three ways down from the top to the bottom....whom are they kjidding?

....oh well....here in Meredith...most all of the snow has melted away....so's all the oak leaves are back out in the yard again....and a-waiting to be raked up.....now that sounds like some major fun! .... raking leaves....the cure for the winter time blues ..... ho-ho-ho!
Old 12-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #40
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

"Seasonal Affective Disorder" (SAD)

What a bunch of baloney.

Shrinks have the best job in the world, they can just make stuff up and create a whole new pool of "victims" that need their services, drugs and advice just by giving it a name, disorder, syndrome or whatever. I can't believe how many actually believe this nonsense.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post

What a bunch of baloney.

Shrinks have the best job in the world, they can just make stuff up and create a whole new pool of "victims" that need their services, drugs and advice just by giving it a name, disorder, syndrome or whatever. I can't believe how many actually believe this nonsense.
Man , now that's an attitude. You need some help
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #42
Misha888

Default Hmmm

You are ignorant of some facts and callous. Alaska is the #1 state effected by suicide. If you have never experienced it because you apparently are a perfect specimen of the human race, I am happy for you.

Because someone has something called SAD does not mean they are "victims" it means you are ignorant. It doesn't mean people go on disability and take drugs. And one doesn't need a MD to tell someone that they're "sad". You can be sad and be a productive member of society. It still exists.

Quote:

What a bunch of baloney.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #43
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:

What a bunch of baloney.

Sorry but I "actually believe this nonsense". It is very real and many people are in an entirely different mood on a sunny 80 degree day versus a 45 degree cloudy, rainy day. When you put a series of those gray days together it results in some form of depression that affects different people different ways. You are lucky if it has no effect on you.

I didn't want to take the chance anymore so that is why I winter in Florida. I'm in a good mood everyday. See?

Last edited by TiltonBB; 12-22-2014 at 09:39 AM.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #44
LadyJane

Quote:

What a bunch of baloney.

This makes me think of one of those Confucius sayings: " Mind like parachute, only function when open". The bottom line here is that just because you don't experience something yourself, or don't understand it, does not mean it doesn't exist.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #45
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Vitamin D deficiency is a condition most of the posters/readers of this forum will have this winter without diagnosis. It's common around here. Vitamin D is responsible for enhancing intestinal absorption of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphate and zinc. In humans, the most important compounds in this group are vitamin D2 and vitamin D3. When you can't absorb these essential nutrients your mood suffers. I take a Vitamin D3 supplement from November thru March. Life's short...
My doctor has said the Northeast is the worst for vitamin D deficiency and a lot of studies say we all should be taking more of it. He has had me on more than one occasion take 50,000 units once a week for 8 weeks on top of the 1000 units I take daily. Who knew..
Old 12-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #46
MGWillia

Hey take it easy on him... He may just be depressed...
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGWillia For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (12-27-2014), TiltonBB (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #47
MAXUM

OK good grief... of course dreary days aren't fun and so forth, but to get to the point of creating a clinical "condition" for it is nonsense.

For the record...

I used to live in Colorado, 300+ days of sun, beautiful weather, even better natural scenery, to live here was a difficult transition. Granted I may be a native of NH but I liked living out west much better. Does it make me sad some times, sure, will I move back some day, you bet. However I make the best of it here, and find things to do on nice days or crappy days to keep me going. Not every day is going to be perfect, really what kind of reality is that?!? Now I'm not in any way suggesting that anyone who has commented thus far is guilty of this, but I think far to many people find excuses for whatever am ail them, and far to many doctors are all to happy to oblige and put some sort of label on behavior as if the person is afflicted with something they have little or no control of. That's nonsense in my book. There may be a handful of folks that have a legitimate problem, but not nearly as many as have been so called diagnosed.

Do I have psychological problems? Maybe cause I am addicted to being at my camp at the lake, I can't stay away from it winter or summer, good or horrible weather. So fine I guess I'm afflicted with Winni-phycosis. In my amateur opinion so do many others on this forum. I guess we all either need to get our heads examined or just learn to live with it. I do!

Lighten up folks..
Old 12-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #48
Rusty

MAXUM...enough with the not believing stuff. I have shares in Eli Lilly.

This year alone Eli Lilly has gone up 21 points...don't stop the momentum.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #49
robmac

Well I for one get upset and a little down when I get the call ALL BOATS out of the water from the marina. Then just keep crossing the days off on the calender til ICE OUT. Some may have other ways to cope with no boating, hell I'm buying a ticket to FLA. to get on the water. Just my two cents.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #50
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
MAXUM...enough with the not believing stuff. I have shares in Eli Lilly.

This year alone Eli Lilly has gone up 21 points...don't stop the momentum.
Owh I didn't think of that. Darn it I'm going to get laid off now... I work for a pharmaceutical. Oops! Now I'm really starting to get depressed!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #51
Phantom

Of course there's Seasonal Depression !!

Simply look at the Forum posts and how they have gone/ turned ugly since late October.

(Just one man's observations)

Winnigirl (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #52
bruinsfan

Many, myself included, have been in a depression since January 20th, 2009.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bruinsfan For This Useful Post:
Major (12-23-2014), MAXUM (12-22-2014), MGWillia (12-22-2014), tis (12-23-2014), Winnisquamguy (12-26-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #53
jrc

I'm not going to debate whether winter weather cause clinical depression or not, but I know I don't like it.

From Columbus day to Christmas, I can feel the change. The weeks after the Super Bowl until about mid-March and the wait for ice-out are the toughest. The last few years, winter hiking has helped, I need to get out of the house in sunlight every weekend.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #54
Greene's Basin Girl

I had a 19 year career in pharmaceutical sales. My product portfolio included medications that were indicated for SAD. SAD is very real and it is worse during the dark dreary days of winter.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #55
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan View Post
Funny. My episode of depression began promptly on November 4, 2008. Different start dates, but my guess is that we both suffer from the same debilitating disease.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #56
wifi

Default Where is FLL when I need him

Can one collect disability using this ?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #57
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan View Post
Funny, that's when mine ended.
kawishiwi (01-10-2015)
Old 12-23-2014, 01:23 AM   #58
Crusty

Default Back to Seasonal Depression...

This discussion on "seasonal depression", well, depressed me a bit. Out here in central Ohio, we miss out on a lot of the good aspects of winter. Temperature generally hover around freezing, no snow, no sun. Skiing in Ohio consists of man-made snow on a hill. Generally, it's just muddy and grey.

My wife gets especially grumpy at this time of year, so I looked into it with considerable attention.

We found that replacing the breakfast room light with a really bright full-spectrum fluorescent fixture really helped. I can also see how vitamin D might be beneficial.

However, I just ran across an article on using scents to help your mood.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5193609.html

I intend to try some of these scents, especially pine. We've had an artificial tree for many years and, aside from the pitch, the only thing I miss is the smell of a live tree.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #59
MGWillia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Funny, that's when mine ended.
Was that the day that Green's Basin Girl filled that prescription for you?

HONEST!!!! Just Kidding! Merry Christmas
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGWillia For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (12-23-2014), Greene's Basin Girl (12-24-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #60
Rusty

Dow at the beginning of 2009 was @8000

Dow today is @18000.

Hmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Everybody keep shopping and bring it up higher.

Thank you all and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #61
rowinghelmet

Default Vitamin D, BLU lights & staying active work wonders

I echo what others have said about this being a real thing.

I hated winter so much I moved to Florida to escape it. That helped, but I missed New England so I've since moved back and learned to adapt.

The three best things in my experience are:
1.) Vitamin D supplements. Vitamin D deficiency is a huge issue in the Northeast.
2.) Use a Bluelight in the morning. The Phillips goLITE BLU is great. This makes a huge difference.
3.) Invest in good warm clothes (goretex, Smartwool, Patagonia, North Face, LLBean, etc), learn how to layer, and then get outside in the winter. Hiking, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, and skiing are all a blast.

Here are some recent winter hiking photos. It's almost as peaceful as a quiet day at the lake.

Phillips goLITE
rowinghelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rowinghelmet For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (12-23-2014), LadyJane (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #62
fatlazyless

....dang it all....I was getting some serious blah-blah-blah depression here just a-look'n at all these un-raked oak leaves that need to be raked up.....but just when I was about to get out the rake.....what-do-u-know?....a beautiful white blanket of heavy wet white 2" snow fell overnight and now I don't got to think about the rake....ho-ho-ho....now is time to start getting the dock out of the water....ho-ho-ho....life is just soooo tough for the waterfront poor here....while all the waterfront rich got to do is lift up the telephone and call someone....which is no heavy lifting.....now I got to get all wet and go get that dock out....blah-blah-blah....December remova-the docka winter time blues....boo-hoo-hoo!
Old 12-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #63
PaugusBayFireFighter

I chase the winter blues with winter green.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #64
HomeWood

I look forward to retiring in the lakes region area. I absolutely love ice fishing, sledding, and just being outside in the winter..always have. Like I already said in a previous post, my mood improves in the winter. I don't even mind it getting dark at 5pm. Get the fire going and kick back after a nice hot dinner. I live in the wrong state to be a winter lover but we all have to make a living somewhere doing something.

I have a bunch of hobbies and not nearly enough time for them. I'm not too worried about having something to do during the seasonal changes up there. I miss the four distinct seasons of New England. NC (where I am) has blistering hot summer followed by a few weeks of nice weather and then a short winter of cold rain while hoping for no ice storms. That is followed by a few more weeks of nice weather and then it's time to crank up the A/C again.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #65
Fargo

Default Projects

I always need a project no matter what season it is. Winter can be a challenge during overcast days. I'm working on the Mini Mount to keep my spirits high.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #66
Janet

Fun video, thanks for posting
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #67
Lakegeezer

Default the dark days of winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
I don't even mind it getting dark at 5pm. Get the fire going and kick back after a nice hot dinner. ....... I miss the four distinct seasons of New England. NC (where I am) has blistering hot summer followed by a few weeks of nice weather and then a short winter of cold rain while hoping for no ice storms.
Getting dark at 5PM! Won't that be nice!! On the shortest day, the sun sets at 4:11PM after rising at 7:16AM. It isn't till around February 3'rd that the sun rises before 7 and sets after 5. Perhaps that is part of the reason why everyone seems happy during fishing derby weekend.

You might be surprised at the nature of winter here. It is not unusual to have cold rainy days and ice storms in early winter, although by February the snow depth is usually pretty good. New England weather is fickle.

This week has been a cold one - and the wood stove has been very hungry. The local snowmobile trails are not yet officially open, yaktracks are still useful while walking up the driveway and the ice is just barely safe to walk on. Having indoor hobbies is a good thing this time of year. Now where is my flask? :-)
Old 01-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #68
MDoug

Default Winter Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
I always need a project no matter what season it is. Winter can be a challenge during overcast days. I'm working on the Mini Mount to keep my spirits high.
I am editing the videos we made last season on Bear. Bought a new dvd copier to make copies for the kids and grands. It works great so far!
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #69
salty dog

It's true; you really can go a little stir crazy with the long winter nights. It can certainly effect some more than others. One thing we look forwards to on weekends is a dinner/movie night in the family room. If I don't feel like cooking we just grab a pizza. Put some logs on the fire, put my favorite girl dog cuddler on the sofa in between us, and crank up the on-demand! Works for us. Happy winter. Come on spring!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #70
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Just can't understand

how people can get depressed of the winter months. Plenty of things to do in the Lakes Region. I am always looking forward to skiing, skating, x-country and snowshoeing. I use to own a sled but rarely use it!

At night, there are jigsaw puzzles, board games with the family, movies from Netflix/VUDU. I use to restore classic cars but the last one took almost forever!

A buddy of mine, is trying to convince me to go together with him on either restoring an old wooden boat or build a wooden boat! I'm really entertaining the though although the last time I restored a car the miss seems to think I love the car more than her!

One wonders what is in the mind of beautiful women.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #71
rander7823

Default Don't know what any of you are talking about

I feel just fine
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rander7823 For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (01-09-2015), SteveO123 (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #72
dogma

we are thinking of designating one room as our tropical/tiki room.. complete with full-spectrum like, tropical and tiki stuff... open to our friends when they want a tropical getaway! at least for us it sounds like a retreat.
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #73
Paugus bay girl

Some may tell you if you don't like winter then move to a warmer climate. To those who say this, it isn't that easy. You can't just simply pack up and move away. Not without planning and lots of money. I don't like the winter either, but I would never want to leave this area, it's a beautiful area in all seasons. I grew up here. Even though some say Laconia is horrible because of all the drugs and whatnot, you get that no matter where you go. I love this area and would never live anywhere else. I have family who have lived in Florida and they always returned to live in NH.
Paugus bay girl is offline   Reply With Quote