Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Made in New Hampshire

Excuse me while I climb up on my soapbox...

As you start planning your Holiday Shopping take a look at these sites.

http://www.allamericanclothing.com/SFNT2.html

Great site that has 100% made in USA cloths. The Traceability feature is very cool. It takes the products you buy all the way to the farm that grew the cotton, to the mill that spun the fabric, and the shop that made the final products. Click on the Traceability link it tells you about the "Certificate of Authenticity".
If you use the Offer Code EDHEAD at checkout you can get 10% off your purchase.

http://madeinusaforever.com/

Use the "search" feature and you can type in "New Hampshire" or wherever your from and find products made were you live!

http://www.usacoffeecompany.com/

These folks are the only 100% grown and sold All USA Coffee. You can even have a custom label made for your gifts.

and... No, I don't have anything to do with any of these company's.
Argie's Wife (11-08-2010), Tomt (11-09-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
NoBozo

Hi Steve: I worked in the nuclear industry 30 years ago. Nuclear Power plants. Traceability was the RULE. We needed to be able to trace the steel used in a metal part..to the "Pour" that the steel in that part came from. Common sense tells you Traceability is NOT Cheap. Just sayin. NB
Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Hey...We just bought a Franklin propane stove....Big bucks $$ but very efficient.
Buy American whenever possible.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
pcmc

Thanks Steve,
I haven't searched any of your links yet, but I will. This year has been very tight. The wife sent me to ( rhymes with kohles), for kids stuff. The only U.S. made clothing I could find was Hanes underwear and socks. There were also other products from this same Co. that were out sourced too. Its upsetting when your out of work and surrounded by items made in every country but our own. It would be nice to see a C/O in one of these large Co.'s with balls that would support his native land and not the greed of his bonuses. ok i'm better now
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (11-09-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Excuse me while I climb up on my soapbox...

As you start planning your Holiday Shopping take a look at these sites.

http://www.allamericanclothing.com/SFNT2.html

Great site that has 100% made in USA cloths. The Traceability feature is very cool. It takes the products you buy all the way to the farm that grew the cotton, to the mill that spun the fabric, and the shop that made the final products. Click on the Traceability link it tells you about the "Certificate of Authenticity".
If you use the Offer Code EDHEAD at checkout you can get 10% off your purchase.

http://madeinusaforever.com/

Use the "search" feature and you can type in "New Hampshire" or wherever your from and find products made were you live!

http://www.usacoffeecompany.com/

These folks are the only 100% grown and sold All USA Coffee. You can even have a custom label made for your gifts.

and... No, I don't have anything to do with any of these company's.
It's a worldwide economy. Please stop this protectionist, liberal nonsense. Buy the best products out there regardless of where they are produced. Steve, I expected more from you!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
Argie's Wife

secondcurve.... I'm surprised by your response...

"Please stop this protectionist, liberal nonsense.... Steve, I expected more from you!"

I've never heard anyone berated for supporting the local economy. I'm flabbergasted by your post, really.

Yes, it's a global economy. That's exactly why I prefer to do local business, when possible.

When I have to make decisions on budget items and warrant articles for my town and school, and I look at where our money is going that's not a department within the town or school (like to a service contract), two of the things I look for is (1) affordability; (2) location.

Keeping money in the town, county, and state is just good business.

Local businesses employ local people. The money they bring in or pay out to their employees goes back to the local economy.

Doing business locally keeps a community unique. It reduces an environmental impact - less shipping, trucking, etc. and no postage, right?

You establish a relationship with the business owner - the guy your bought your tires from on Saturday might be you kids' baseball coach next spring or sits next to you in church on Sunday.

You can bet you're going to get better service by doing business locally - not to mention the craftsmanship. Because of the global economy, the local artist has to have a great product or s/he will be out of business pretty quickly. And then there's taxes...

Why not keep your tax money within NH? (Considering we have no sales tax, what's to lose?!)

And look at what NH has to offer for great products/gifts... whether it's Grade-A maple syrup, handmade soaps, pewter ornaments, jewelry, gift certificates to skiing or restaurants or museums or for other local services - why not make a point to look for that special something for that special someone within our state boarder? We live in a unique state - celebrate it!

I've watched too many great towns and cities in my home state of Maine, and now my home state of New Hampshire close their mills and factories because of this global economy. It's not a liberal mantra; it's a conservative one. I am no fan of NAFTA and what's it done to us.

It's a sad day when my LLBean sweater is made in China and my Bass shoes are made in Mexico.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
angela4design (11-09-2010), Grady223 (11-15-2010), GsChinadoll (11-09-2010), jkjoshuatree (11-09-2010), Jonas Pilot (11-08-2010), kchace (11-09-2010), Pontoon Goon (11-09-2010), RailroadJoe (11-09-2010), RI Swamp Yankee (11-09-2010), SteveA (11-09-2010), Tomt (11-09-2010), Winnigirl83 (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

I didn't mean to start a big deal. Yes I do lean to the liberal side, but this is not a good example of that.

When given the choice of where to spend what money I have, I will lean to local. To me it's just common sense. There are plenty of stories and researched positive effects of how money spent in a community and/or dollars that stay here in the USA are good for our economy. These ideas are neither liberal or conservatives. Heck, the real original "Tea Party" dumped the tea into Boston Harbor to stop the drain of money from the colony's.

Sorry to disappoint SC.

PS... This will make some of my conservative friends happy. I also think the real start of alot of the problems we have can be traced to that great Republican President... Bill Clinton. NAFTA was a disaster and crazy old Ross Perot was correct. Sadly the "Giant Sucking Sound" is now world wide.

Pineneddles may need to go for counseling . (Just kidding Jeff)

BTW... here are some links that are even more local.

http://www.nhmade.com/
http://millyardcommunications.com/in...po&src=gendocs

If Don considers this thread to be out of bounds, I would support closing or moving it. I really didn't mean to start a problem here.
jkjoshuatree (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
http://www.usacoffeecompany.com/These folks are the only 100% grown and sold All USA Coffee. You can even have a custom label made for your gifts.

I bet there coffee is good. At over $20 a pound and another $7+ for shipping it had better be damn good. That is just plain friggin ridiculous !!
I am one who enjoys my daily coffee but the stuff right off the shelf at Hannafords for $5 or $6 a pound ( I don't give a rats a$$ where it is made ) suits my pallet and my wallet just fine.
I would like to keep my mortgage and my utilitys paid so that I can have a place to enjoy my coffee and the electricity to brew it.
I am all for buying USA made if possible. But Bill Gates I'm not !!
I buy What I can afford, Where I can afford it. Unfortunatly 99% of the time it only adds to the problem and doesn't help it. It's a nasty disease called Reality !
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
SteveA (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I hate to say it but people talk the talk but don't walk the walk. The huge remodel of the jr.high/high school in Wolfeboro is a fine example. To help sell the project they made a big deal about how they are going to use local contractors and local businesses and they are using almost none.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
songkrai

I'd like to see the state of New Hampshire compile a list of every product manufactured in New Hampshire that is available to retail people. Some good stuff is manufactured here and many don't know about it.

Here is just one. These people make fine cabinets. Probably no one knows that they are made right here in New Hampshire.
LINK

And there has got to be many more. Why not a list somewhere somplace.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
Soapmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
I'd like to see the state of New Hampshire compile a list of every product manufactured in New Hampshire that is available to retail people. Some good stuff is manufactured here and many don't know about it.

Here is just one. These people make fine cabinets. Probably no one knows that they are made right here in New Hampshire.
LINK

And there has got to be many more. Why not a list somewhere somplace.

Ohhhhhhh this company does beautiful work, true craftsmen! Thank you for the link
Old 11-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Hey Mark. I got some Kona Coffee from Hawaii. $19.00 a lb. Want some?
Made in Hawaii...sold to tourists.....

Hey that should be the new motto for the Lakes region...

Made in NH, Sold to tourists....I crack myself up sometimes...
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
SteveA (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
I bet there coffee is good. At over $20 a pound and another $7+ for shipping it had better be damn good. That is just plain friggin ridiculous !!
Being the coffee lover that I am, I checked into the prices...

Top price is $0.43/cup - with the lowest at $0.14/cup...

(Source: https://www.usacoffeecompany.com/v/v...st_per_cup.pdf)

We recently got one of those Keurig coffee makers and the lowest price I can find those pods at is $0.39 (1 pod = 1 cup of coffee).

It's cheaper than a cuppa coffee from Dunkin Donuts or whatever...
Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Being the coffee lover that I am, I checked into the prices...

Top price is $0.43/cup - with the lowest at $0.14/cup...

(Source: https://www.usacoffeecompany.com/v/v...st_per_cup.pdf)

We recently got one of those Keurig coffee makers and the lowest price I can find those pods at is $0.39 (1 pod = 1 cup of coffee).

It's cheaper than a cuppa coffee from Dunkin Donuts or whatever...
Not that I buy DD coffee but I can walk into my local DD and buy a pound of coffee and not have to pay another $7+ in shipping to get it home !

I suspect the company's quoted price per cup doesn't include the cost of S+H and it most likely is based on one of those little tea cup things and not a big old fashioned, good hand warming, New england coffee mug. Of course that is only a quick guess.
If I follow similar math (another quick guess) as to how many little cups of coffee I can get out of a $6 lb. of coffee w/ no S&H It should cost me around $0.085 per cup. That guess could vary quite a bit depending how weak or strong a person makes their coffee. I figure my coffee costs me around $0.12 to $0.15 per mug, based on 4+ mugs per pot
Like I already said. It is probaly damned good coffee , but to darned expensive for my blood.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
AllAbourdon

Default Maine-Ly New Hampshire

Downtown portsmouth we have a store that specializes in NH made items.

http://www.maine-lynewhampshire.com/

We are right acrosse the river from Maine of course, there are some other items made in new england that may not be from NH as well. hence the name I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to AllAbourdon For This Useful Post:
ClosetExtrovert (11-11-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
RANGER CANOE CO

Default Squam lake ashland

I have 2 tiny blemished (small scratch) 16' kevlar hybrid composite, high-end day tripping, touring canoes. you can save $300-400 off msrp........... rangercanoe.com
Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #17
fatlazyless

I have a Ranger Canoe.....and it's a pretty nice canoe.....just got it last spring......paid $200 for it if I remember correct.....it is about a 20-year old, red fiberglass (or something) 17' canoe fixer-upper.....and I replaced the water-logged wood & wicker seats w/ new canvas, a new carry yoke thwart, and an old A-Row-Bic rowing rig with extended oar locks and a sliding seat installed in the center. Ranger makes very nice canoes, made right in the geographic center of NH, ASHLAND NH, cannot get any more central NH than Ashland!

Plus, looking through craigslist in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts, there are like hundreds of old canoes for sale for one to four hundred dollars in either aluminum or fiberglass or plastic-synthetic and different sizes, 14-18'. Buying a used canoe is definately a buyers market now, probably because everyone is buying just kayaks, or something?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
RANGER CANOE CO

The newer boats Ive been building lately are 20 lbs lighter than your oldie. Got a pic of your rowing set-up?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #19
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
secondcurve.... I'm surprised by your response...

"Please stop this protectionist, liberal nonsense.... Steve, I expected more from you!"

I've never heard anyone berated for supporting the local economy. I'm flabbergasted by your post, really.

Yes, it's a global economy. That's exactly why I prefer to do local business, when possible.

When I have to make decisions on budget items and warrant articles for my town and school, and I look at where our money is going that's not a department within the town or school (like to a service contract), two of the things I look for is (1) affordability; (2) location.

Keeping money in the town, county, and state is just good business.

Local businesses employ local people. The money they bring in or pay out to their employees goes back to the local economy.

Doing business locally keeps a community unique. It reduces an environmental impact - less shipping, trucking, etc. and no postage, right?

You establish a relationship with the business owner - the guy your bought your tires from on Saturday might be you kids' baseball coach next spring or sits next to you in church on Sunday.

You can bet you're going to get better service by doing business locally - not to mention the craftsmanship. Because of the global economy, the local artist has to have a great product or s/he will be out of business pretty quickly. And then there's taxes...

Why not keep your tax money within NH? (Considering we have no sales tax, what's to lose?!)

And look at what NH has to offer for great products/gifts... whether it's Grade-A maple syrup, handmade soaps, pewter ornaments, jewelry, gift certificates to skiing or restaurants or museums or for other local services - why not make a point to look for that special something for that special someone within our state boarder? We live in a unique state - celebrate it!

I've watched too many great towns and cities in my home state of Maine, and now my home state of New Hampshire close their mills and factories because of this global economy. It's not a liberal mantra; it's a conservative one. I am no fan of NAFTA and what's it done to us.

It's a sad day when my LLBean sweater is made in China and my Bass shoes are made in Mexico.

Argie's wife:

Even Obama, of all people, gets the fact that you have to look as the world as a whole when assessing trade. Please see the below article. By the way, if more of us thought like you we would be keeping our money in Massachusetts and New Hampshire would still be a forest:

Appealing for broader access to fast-growing markets in Asia, President Barack Obama says the United States is in the Pacific region to stay and that both sides will benefit from stronger trade relationships.

On a mission to help create jobs at home, Obama noted that while U.S. exports to the region have increased by more than 60 percent in the last five years, competition has cut into the U.S. share of trade here.

"We want to change that," Obama declared in a speech Saturday at a regional economic summit.

The president hopes to double U.S. exports within five years and views selling more goods to Asians as one way to help meet that goal while simultaneously creating and sustaining jobs for Americans. India, the first of four countries Obama visited this week and a booming nation to boot, has a population of more than 1 billion people.

At the same time, Obama said healthy competition needn't rupture relationships between and among nations.

"There's no need to view trade, commerce or economic growth as zero-sum games," he said. "If we work together, and act together, strengthening our economic ties can be a win-win for all of our nations."

Obama was blunt about his reason for touring Asia this week.

"For America, this is a job strategy," he said, before rattling off numbers showing that every $1 billion in exports supports 5,000 jobs at home. In turn, he said the flood of U.S. goods to Asia-Pacific nations will give those consumers, many of whom are enjoying higher standards of living, more options to choose from when they go shopping.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #20
Argie's Wife

I kindly ask that you please don't put me on the same level as Obama. I didn't vote for him and I'm patiently waiting for the end of his term.

What a stark difference to Bush who asked Americans to consider what companies and jobs they could create here at home.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (11-15-2010), MarkinNH (11-14-2010), Rattle Isle Windy Side (11-14-2010), Ropetow (11-13-2010)
Old 11-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #21
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Argie's wife:

Obama was blunt about his reason for touring Asia this week.

"For America, this is a job strategy," ....
Blah, Blah, Blah.

Or, as a 1980 Boston Globe headline* to an editorial commenting on a President Carter economic initiative once said,

"Mush From The Wimp"

Fast Barry got out of Dodge for one reason: To divert attention from the debacle that the election results were for him, and his administration has been for the nation.

*That headline was not indented for print. It was an in-house joke that somehow found its way into print for more than 150,000 copies of the paper
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ropetow For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (11-15-2010), tis (11-14-2010)
Closed Thread