Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Fishing Report Saturday, 4-7-12

It was cold and windy but not as cold as as opening day. Morning fishing was slow, we boated four in the 19" - 21" range in four hours.

Late afternoon fishing was a lot better as soon as we dropped our first line in, they were hitting. We landed another 5 in the same size range as the A.M. in about 45 minutes. The wind was getting too bad and lines were getting tangled so we decided to call it a day. Still getting my feet wet with the planer boards and their limitations, especially in the wind!

2 1/2 colors of lead seemed to do the trick with bright color spoons. The electric trolling motor was pretty much useless in the afternoon wind, used the main motor instead...

All fish released uninjured to live another day.

It was windy but fun!!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
bclaker (04-08-2012), Broken Glass (04-09-2012), Jonas Pilot (04-08-2012), RLW (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
winniboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
It was cold and windy but not as cold as as opening day. Morning fishing was slow, we boated four in the 19" - 21" range in four hours.

Late afternoon fishing was a lot better as soon as we dropped our first line in, they were hitting. We landed another 5 in the same size range as the A.M. in about 45 minutes. The wind was getting too bad and lines were getting tangled so we decided to call it a day. Still getting my feet wet with the planer boards and their limitations, especially in the wind!

2 1/2 colors of lead seemed to do the trick with bright color spoons. The electric trolling motor was pretty much useless in the afternoon wind, used the main motor instead...

All fish released uninjured to live another day.

It was windy but fun!!!

Dan

where were you fishing? i only ask because where we were. we used about a color to 1.5 and hit about 8 in 45 minutes got sized. then hit 2 lakers as well.
winniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Piston

Sounds like a good day to me! It's nice that you can get out of the wind with the enclosure you have.

Thanks for releasing those fish back to the water, maybe one of these days I'll get a shot at one of them

When you say "2 1/2 colors of lead" what does that mean? I don't know much about planer boards or salmon fishing as you can tell
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniboy View Post
where were you fishing? i only ask because where we were. we used about a color to 1.5 and hit about 8 in 45 minutes got sized. then hit 2 lakers as well.
In the afternoon we were fishing the Beckys Garden 5 mile island area. We had two rods two colors down one rod 2 1/2 colors down and the downrigger set at 12'. We tried shallower with not much luck. Once we dropped it 2 - 2 1/2 colors we seemed to hit them better. I think earlier in the A.M. we may have done better had we raised it a bit to 1 1/2 colors. Without a defined thermal stratification I think they move from right on top down 15' as the day progresses. Who knows it could be just the right place and right time also, That's what makes it fun!

Dan
Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
Sounds like a good day to me! It's nice that you can get out of the wind with the enclosure you have.

Thanks for releasing those fish back to the water, maybe one of these days I'll get a shot at one of them

When you say "2 1/2 colors of lead" what does that mean? I don't know much about planer boards or salmon fishing as you can tell
Hi Piston;

Yes the enclosure was a lifesaver yesterday!!

Every 10 yards of lead line has a different color. Each color will sink approximately 5'. 2 1/2 colors down means 12 1/2' underwater.

When you get your pontoon, you will have plenty of time to try different things fishing. That's half the fun! The other half is explaining to your wife all those credit card charges!!

Good luck!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Piston

Thanks for the explanation Dan,
I'm really looking forward to spending the time 'figuring things out'

It was dropped off at my house the other day
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
winniboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
In the afternoon we were fishing the Beckys Garden 5 mile island area. We had two rods two colors down one rod 2 1/2 colors down and the downrigger set at 12'. We tried shallower with not much luck. Once we dropped it 2 - 2 1/2 colors we seemed to hit them better. I think earlier in the A.M. we may have done better had we raised it a bit to 1 1/2 colors. Without a defined thermal stratification I think they move from right on top down 15' as the day progresses. Who knows it could be just the right place and right time also, That's what makes it fun!

Dan
that is where we fished yesterday. little closer up towards centerharbor.. starting about 1 mile till the tip of black cat then around.

Jonas Pilot: we were going between 2.5-3mhp (depending on the wind blow)

Last edited by winniboy; 04-08-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: more information
winniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Jonas Pilot

Don't forget, your speed also determines how deep your lead core line is going to travel below the surface. Faster, they will swing closer to the surface. Slow down and the lines will sink down deeper.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote