Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
William_Philipp

Question Do I really Need a big boat?

Ive been looking over the threads over the past few days and I see many people recommending 23' to 25' boats recently and it got me thinking.

As moving to Moultonboro and mostly boating around there, do you still recommend getting a larger boat, ive been looking at around 18-20' range four winns at winnisquam marine.

I also want to trailer this boat say 5-6 times a year, but mostly it will be kept in the water. Curious to your opinions.
William_Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
playinghooky

Default Do you really need a big boat?

I have a 20 foot 4Winns and feel that it is adequate for what we use it for on the lake. Most of the time a 20 footer is fine. But there are many times a bigger boat would be much more comfortable. I would not want to go any less than 20 feet though. Many afternoons the wind kicks up and you wouldn't want to be out there even with a 23 footer. With a smaller boat you have to be more careful of the times you go out and stay in if it's too rough. Keep an eye on the weather for any approching storms (but you need to do this even with a bigger boat). If you plan on trailering it, a 20 footer is much more practical and easier to trailer. Other advantages of a 20 footer is you would use less gas, it's much less expensive to buy, easier to dock and easier and cheaper to store. If money is not a consideration then go with a bigger boat.
Yes a 23 footer would give you more comfort on a bad day but a 20 footer is adequate most of the time. I would recommend you look at the 4Winns at Melvin Village Marina. Since you will be in Moultonboro they are very close by. If you ever need service you don't want to go hauling the boat all the way to Winnisquam. Melvin Village Marina gives excellent service and fair prices. Many people will bad mouth them because they will not do any service on a boat unless you bought it from them. But when you do buy a boat from them, their service is outstanding. Service can be very important. My starter went out and other marinas said to bring it in and put it in line for a 3 or 4 day turn around. I brought it to Melvin Village at 9:00 in the morning on a Saturday and it was fixed by 1:00.
playinghooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
William_Philipp

Default I was looking through Melvin Village

I was looking through Melvin Village, I figured if I bought a Four Winns anywhere I could go any Four Winns dealer for service, sort of like a car, but I guess I am wrong. Thanks for the tip, I see many 17, 18 and 19's on sale around the area and figured that might be good enough. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Woodsy

Boat size is a pretty simple equation. It really boils down to time vs money...

You have a limited number of nice summer weekends here in NH. On average you have about 12-16 weekends.

You have a limited amount of money to spend. (If money was no object we wouldn't be having this discussion)

So time and money are both very valuable commodities.

You can use a bigger boat all of the time but its initial cost is larger. A smaller boat cannot be comfortably used all of the time but it is less expensive initially. Cost of ownership such as rack storage, fuel, insurance, trailering etc will be similar as you are only talking a 2' -3' difference in size. A slight edge in savings will go to the smaller boat...

The Moultonborough area of the lake is gorgeous, but it will get old after awhile. A prime example would be going to the Weirs or Meredith for lunch or dinner during a holiday weekend. No doubt the 20' boat will get you there, but will you & your passengers feel comfortable and arrive dry?

A boat is all about having fun with family and friends. Although the initial cost is higher, I would go with a 22' to 26' boat. I think you will see alot more use and enjoyment for the money spent. You need to think long term. You can always make more money, but time is an irreplacable commodity. Once its gone, its gone.

Good Luck in your search!

Woodsy
Old 08-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Comfort level

William....I run an 18 footer on Winnipesaukee...and I will admit there are times where I just don't go out....but for the most part I have very little trouble...when it is rough I just go slow....

I also own a Four Winns....and personally I would deal with Winnisquam Marine. I have found way to often that Melvin is interested in Money and not always quality....My uncle used them with his old Four Winns and there where several repairs Melvin Village didn't handle correctly...
Old 08-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
NightWing

Talking

I had two boats on Winni; a 21 ft Bow rider and a 25 ft mid cabin. I bought the 25 because I wanted a cabin with galley, sleeping areas and full head. I also wanted a longer, heavier boat to handle those days when the water is angry. For the most part, the 25 worked well, although there were times crossing the broads when the ride was not comfortable at all. My next boat would have been a 29............and if that didn't work...................

There is a disease that few people talk about and it is usually caught around the water. It is called "Twofootitus" and is often a reaction to the combination of fiberglass, water and sunshine. It can be VERY expensive to treat and it usually does not respond well to anything that would stifle its growth. It can be slowed down and even stopped for a while, but once the body gets used to the existing infection, it comes back with a vengeance and only copious amounts of money will stop its spread................for a while. This disease is not fatal in itself, but those close to the victim are known to have considered homicide from time to time. The victim, usually male, often has a premonition, because, after spending more money to treat the illness, he can be heard to say "She's gonna kill me".
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
ossipeeboater

melvin village will not service the boat if you don't buy from them theres been several threads about them over the years about that. Even for a bit more money unless you drive down the other side of the lake to go home and can drop the boat that way I'd buy at Melvin. No one really complains about Melvin unless they bought there boat elsewhere and wants to get it serviced.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
William_Philipp

Default thanks for all the advice.

It seems like staying off the lake on weekends seems like what most people try and do. I saw many threads on Melvin Village and many people unhappy there, unfortunate. I definitely want to get a Four Winns or something just like it, say a cobalt. Its really about how much I want to spend, and how much I want to bounce around, sounds like even a jet ski may be an alternative .

Is there any other dealers you guys recommend (not just Four Winns) does not have to be relatively close to Moultonboro, but it would be nice
Old 08-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
secondcurve

William:

There have been some excellent opinions in the previous threads. My only comment would be to buy as big as you can. Winnipesaukee can become quite angry at times and it is no fun when that happens and you have a small boat. I'd also note that it isn't as easy as saying I'll stay off the lake when the water is rough. Often times it will be calm when you leave and rough on the way home.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
Lakegeezer

Default Boat selection depends on what you need

Bigger boats can hold more people and will be more comfortable in bad weather, so that may help determine what size you need. There are lots of folks that enjoy a 14 foot Whaler with a 25 horse motor. A 17-18 foot boat will work most of the time, if you normally have up to four passengers. If its a gang of six or more, then you probably want to consider at least a 20 to 22 foot boat, and splurge for a 24 if you can. I agree with previous posters. The FourWinns line is good and Melvin Marine is a good dealer for those up in the northeast corner of the lake.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
Fargo

Default test drive

What ever type of boat you buy, test drive a few because they all handle a bit different. You may find a better riding 20 footer than a 25ft. Got a bit rough around 5pm all of a sudden. I pulled a white vinyl lounge chair out of the water just north of the Governors Island Bridge that must have blown off a dock. I have it tied on our dock if it belongs to any readers. Stop by and pick it up, we are about 13 houses north of the bridge.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #12
ThePlut

Default Consider...

You don't mention if this is your first boat or not. If it is, I'd recommend looking for a creampuff used boat in a larger size, around 23 - 24'. You'll save the initial depreciation on the boat, and be less dependant on the "better" days on the lake.

That said, I spent last year in a 20' boat and went all over the lake. It was a very solid, very heavy (3700lbs dry) 20'. So, don't just think length, boat ride is very dependant on a number of factors beyond length.

I have a 24' this year, and it's much better.

Other's have it nailed, test drive ANYTHING you are seriously considering.

Good luck.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #13
William_Philipp

Test drive, something I really overlooked thanks, also yea this is going to be my second boat. The last boat I bought was a '97 17' bayliner in FL and it worked pretty good for the small areas, but it could be rough on the ocean. I would like to go up in size from that at least around a 19'er.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #14
Island Life

Default Depends on the how you're using it

I think the answer really depends upon how you're going to use your boat. Are you only around during the weekends, when the lake can get pretty choppy from the huge number of other boats on the water? Are you using your boat mostly for joyriding or do you need it to get from one place to another (in which case one might be prepared to put up with a bit more discomfort).

I have a 20' bowrider (chapparral) and love it. Mostly, I use it for fishing, to get to other people's cottages, and to go to shore for groceries, laundry, etc. I'm not looking for comfort, per se, but rather for utilitarian purposes. Still, I find it pretty comfortable and never have avoided going to shore because of the weather. I will go anywhere during the week, but avoid certain places on weekends (i.e. Meredith) because the chop is too big for my taste. But if you want to be one of the people going to Meredith on the weekend, I recommend something bigger.

Also, like a writer above, I would encourage you to look at used boats. Mine was a great value and because it was not in pristine condition when I bought it, I don't worry about it getting dirty or a bit scratched up. But be sure to buy it from a reputable marina - and preferably one that sold the boat to it's original owner and has serviced it all along. Ask around for recommendations about marinas; I looked at a boat at Glendale Marina four years ago and was told it was owned by a guy on Welch and that Glendale had serviced it all along. Turns out it had just been brought up from Mass. and was being used that summer as their rental boat!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #15
William_Philipp

Default definitely used.

I am definitely going to buy a used one, I dont want to go through the troubles and price of a new one, and like you said you dont worry too much about it as you would a brand new one. But I will be around 24/7/365 at the lake (most of the time ) So weekends would be enjoyable, but I would go out during the week also.

Mostly I will be doing the same thing you are doing, Fishing, joyriding, maybe exploring some of the smaller towns, and tubing/skiing. Fishing is the big part of why I want to be able to trailer the boat.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:42 AM   #16
wildwoodfam

Default Happy with our 19 footer

We are a small but growing family of four out on Long Island (not a true island according to Bear Islander but still we like to think of it as one) - we love to ski and tube and knee board and we cruise EVERY part of the lake. We have been out and about and caught in a couple gales cruising back from Wolfeboro a few times and while it was an adventure - I never felt unsafe or in danger of swamping or going down....our little 19 footer handeled herself well and kept on in the 4 and 5 foot waves.

It was bumpy no doubt - but we were OK.

For the most part though, we tend not to venture out on those days when the white caps far outnumber the boats - you wont see many boats at all on the lake on those days - not even the large ones. Cost jump when you start looking at 25 foot boats and up - and gas prices being what they are - well sorry - I am not looking for a $400 fill up for a weekend on the lake!! We are loving our 19 footer - and have no regrets ... will we move up the chain for our next one (next season)??? YES - We plan to buy a nice and much "roomier" 20 footer!!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #17
William_Philipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam
We are a small but growing family of four out on Long Island (not a true island according to Bear Islander but still we like to think of it as one) - we love to ski and tube and knee board and we cruise EVERY part of the lake. We have been out and about and caught in a couple gales cruising back from Wolfeboro a few times and while it was an adventure - I never felt unsafe or in danger of swamping or going down....our little 19 footer handeled herself well and kept on in the 4 and 5 foot waves.

It was bumpy no doubt - but we were OK.

For the most part though, we tend not to venture out on those days when the white caps far outnumber the boats - you wont see many boats at all on the lake on those days - not even the large ones. Cost jump when you start looking at 25 foot boats and up - and gas prices being what they are - well sorry - I am not looking for a $400 fill up for a weekend on the lake!! We are loving our 19 footer - and have no regrets ... will we move up the chain for our next one (next season)??? YES - We plan to buy a nice and much "roomier" 20 footer!!
Just curious what make is your 19'? I am looking at the Four Winns brand.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #18
wildwoodfam

Wink Go with Four Winns....

You are on the right track with your research and we highly recommend Four Winns....Melvin Village if you are boating on Winnipesaukee since they will be the main service provider to you. We will go to Melvin Village next season (actually will look for them at the winter boat show in Boston) - since we do our boating primarily on the Big Lake!

We are going with 20 because we of course now have tons of friends who LOVE boating and the 20 footer will afford us a tad more space for all the "toys" we "have to" bring out on the boat.

Good luck with your boat pruchase and happy boating!!
Old 08-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #19
Weekend Pundit

I have a 20 foot cuddy and have found it's adequate for the boating we do. Much of our boating is done during the week late in the afternoon or early evening. The few times we head out on to Winnipesaukee on a weekend we try to stay to some of the coves and smaller bays for our swimming and tubing activities. We brave the rough water to get to and from our destination. Even then, our 20-footer does a reasonable job. If it's rougher water like we experienced this weekend the boat stays tied up at the slip and we'll do some cleanup on it instead.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #20
William_Philipp

Maybe some of you with the smaller boats can give me good tips on where to go just for a cruise or possibly tubing(morning is probably the best time). Like I said I am in the Suissevale Moultonboro area so Moultonboror is where I will stay around for now, but I would like to eventually get out and see some of the 'big lake'. I also am an avid fisherman and would like to know area where that can be done. thanks guys and gals.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #21
Knomad

If you are looking for a good used Four Winns, this would be a good time to visit Melvin Village Marina. For the past 2 weekends they held a boat show and probably took in some good trade-ins.
We've delt with MVM for a number of years now and wouldn't shop anywhere else. Even if you don't buy from them, the staff will steer you right as to what kind of boat will best meet your needs.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #22
wildwoodfam

Default Dont be afraid to venture out of the Bay!

Come on down from Suissevale and out of the Bay!! Head out and around Long Island - head over to Center Harbor! If you are wary about being on a smaller boat - keep close to shore - but don't stay cooped up in Moultonboro Bay!! The lake awaits!!

Make sure you have an updated lake chart and set off on you adventure!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #23
Airwaves

The first boat I owned was a 16' Crestliner with a 30HP Johnson. I went all over the lake in her and the only time I ran into an issue was when I was going through the Eagle Island channel and a huge Carver went by me leaving a 4 foot wake! I was very tempted to fire a distress flare onto his fantail!

The 16 footer gave us a bumpy and wet ride during windy conditions. My next boat was the slightly bigger sister to my first one, an 18' Crestliner. I actually still own that one from 1986! It gives us a dryer ride but still a little bumpy because it is a light boat.

My family also has a 21' Cobalt, a heavy boat that handles the waves very well with gunwales high enough to keep you pretty dry under normal conditions.

So as has been said by Wildwoodfam, get a chart and go exploring, it's a big beautiful lake!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #24
William_Philipp

thanks for another great tip