Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
searay220

Unhappy Some people should not own boats.

You won't belive this. Saturday around 5pm I was heading down Alton Bay towards Downings boat ramp. The skies were dark and on and off heavy rain. When I got to the boat ramp there were 4 or 5 boats waiting to get in. While waiting for the ramp we heard a loud noise come from a van towing a jetski boat up Bayhill Rd. Then we saw the boat still on the trailer rolling backwards down the hill not attached to the van anymore. I started to yell as loud as I could to let people know the boat was coming down the hill. This boat almost hit several cars that were on 28a as well as people walking from the Dockside. It was amazing it didn't hit anybody walking or driving. However it did hit a new looking excursion parked at Downing. It hit it so hard it pushed it into the truck next to it. It was an extremly scary event and thankfully no one was hurt. My thoughts are some people are just not smart enough to own a boat. I say this because if the van owner latched the hitch lock and used saftey chains this event would not have happened. As all this was happening the skies opened up with unreal thunder and lighting. We sat there watching these idiots trying to load there boats on there trailer. It was a crazy afternoon and we have all seen boaters who really don't have the common sense to be a safe boater. Becareful out there.
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
WakeUp

Default Wow....

searay220 - good story. I stated in a different thread that It's amazing to see people who try to pack in a summers worth of fun and activity into a few short hours (or days) on the lake. COMMON SENSE TAKES A BACK SEAT IN THEIR QUEST TO BE THE HERO IN THE EYES OF THE FAMILY! We've all seen the reckless behavior. I know there are a lot of sensible boaters on the lake, but I've always approached it from an EXTREMELY defensive position, i.e. I will always ASSUME the other boater does not know the rules/law/protocol until proven otherwise. I've handed this position down to my kids, and it's satifying to see them boat with a cautious eye...afterall, we've all seen common sense being the least common thing! I'll keep an eye out for the van!
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
Joanna16

I've started to think that the dealer when the sells the boat and trailer should be giving driving and etiquette lessons to the owner. Some people just have no experiance with towing. Unfortunatly waiting until the own their own boat and are at the ramp is not the best time to learn.

I started years ago with my dad's old pick up and a small snowmobile trailer in an empty church parking lot. The smaller the trailer the harder they are to back up - small corrections go a very long way. Also keeping the trailer attached to the truck helps too, and making the boat secure to the trailer is a plus.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
ghfromaltonbay

Default New boats should come with lessons

I don't know if I posted this story before, but it came to mind when I saw this thread.

Years ago we towed our boat from NJ to Lake Wallenpaupack in the Poconos. A guy in front of us was driving very cautiously and was towing what looked like a brand new boat & trailer. Dad passed him when he got a chance and said "Looks like a green horn." We arrived at the lake and launched our boat. Just as we were preparing for a ride, the "newbie" pulled headfirst down the ramp, got out, scratched his head and then asked how to get the boat in the water. When he was told he had to back it in, he looked perplexed. Said he had won the boat & trailer package and had zero experience. OBVIOUSLY!! That's the type of person to give a wide berth on the water.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
rmorse27

Default newbie

I am a new boat owner myself and you guys are 110% correct, dealers should spend more time with the newbies.My dealer really didnt spend alot of tme with me but he tried.I went to Ames Farm Inn last Sunday and backed my boat in for the 2nd time and made it on first shot.Then I watched a guy who looked like he was an experienced boater almost drive his boat of the ramp,some lady had to yell at him to stop him from loosing his boat.Then on our way back we ran into a fishing derby with about 30 boats trying to load up.We waited almost 1 hour before we could load our boat.
rmorse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Boat ramps are always good for a laugh

Yes boats and Trailers in general should come with lessons. I have seen many situations that are just unbelievable... Reading this thread brought one to mind. I was on the Cape Cod oh about 20 years ago.... and this blazer was backing this nice looking boat into the water,,,,started it up and tried to back of the trailer....when it didn't come off he back the trailer and blazer even further in all the way to the point that water was in the back of the blazer..... As I walked closer to the ramp I did notice he had removed the winch strap...... and when I was at the ramp I saw that he hadn't noticed the SAFTY CHAIN.....when He was told about it by another on looker he scatched his head and proclaimed "I never thought there would be two hook to hold the boat in the front"...... I wonder how much of a shorter life that blazer had because of the sea water soaked carpet...the salt couldn't have been a good thing................
Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
William_Philipp

Default hahaha funny stories.

I always see amusing people at boat launches. I have never trailered a boat yet, always kept it at a marina. But next summer I am planning on trailering to CT and back to NH, but mostly keeping it in the water on winni. I am frightened to be trailering a boat for the first time, but its like anything you got to get used to it!
William_Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

Default I think I have you all beat!

I think it was 2-3 years ago,An SUV with trailer and boat was launching into Great Bay(Piscataqua tidal river inland from Portsmouth)Well,he backed down the ramp and got out to unload the boat.He forgot one very important thing.To either put the truck in park or set the parking brake.The whole setup ended up in Great Bay and was taken away by the tidal flow.It ended up quite a ways away on the bottom of the bay.Now that's a Capt.Bonehead!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
Mboro_Bill

Default Cool move

My wife and I have a place just up the road from States Landing in Moultonborough off 109. When we aren't on the water ourselves, we usually like to walk down to the beach area and sit on one of the picnic tables, enjoy the water and watch the people load or unload their boats. Most of the time it's just amusing stuff like forgetting the emergency brake is on or not putting the plug in. However, a couple weekends ago I witnessed a real beauty. A guy comes back from a day on the water with his family. He retrieves his vehicle and backs his trailer down into the water, gets back in his 19' I/O bowrider and then proceeds to back his boat out so he can drive it on the trailer. He gets it on the trailer ok but he can't quite get it on far enough to his liking, so he nails the throttle and holds it there. He is sitting there with the water boiling violently behind his boat but it still will not go any farther on the trailer. I watch in amazement as he gets up from the helm with the motor still screaming and walks forward into the bow area and proceeds to lean over, grab the winch post and tries to "pull" his boat up onto the trailer. I just sit there holding my breath waiting for the boat to break loose and wondering if the bow stop will do it's job. All of a sudden I think the guy realized what a "bonehead" move he was pulling and went back to the helm and shut it down. Must have been his lucky day.

Bill V
Mboro_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Philipp
I am frightened to be trailering a boat for the first time, but its like anything you got to get used to it!
William I have been boating and trailering boats for a long time, and was lucky enough to have a father that taught me the ropes....and the biggest piece of advice I can offer is don't rush yourself or let other impatient people rush you....Take your time, take it slow and you will be fine.... Also finding a big empty parking lot and practicing close quarters maneuvering is never a bad thing.... I am going to try and do that myself this fall as my new boat/trailer combo just isn't handling like the old one....Luckily I keep my boat in the water most of the summer so I am not having to visit the boat ramp.......
Old 08-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton Bay Car Wash

Back in the 1980's, Dad docked his 17 ' Thompson at a friends dock, and stored the friend's boat in the winter. They called it even, and Dad always helped get the dock out and the boats in and out of the water in the spring and fall.

It was spring time, and Bill and Dad were launching Dad's boat. They backed down the Alton Bay launch, Dad in the boat. He started it up, let it run for a few minutes, and went to back off the trailer. They realized that they had not unhooked the winch hook, nor the safety hook. They got the winch hook off ok, but the safety hook as really stuck in their.

They decided that they need a pry bar of some sort, and felt a jack handle would do the trick. Bill's Ford Bronco had the jack and handle under the hood, and Bill looked in vehicle, saw the two handles -- one for the hood, and the other for the emergency brake-- and grabbed what he thought was the hood release. WRONG .

Boat, trailer, and Bronco headed down the ramp. Dad slammed the gear shift in forward, and was able to stop the package just before it went off the concrete pad of the launch ramp. Some wonderful onlookers got very wet and very cold wading into the water to help get the whole rig out.

Someplace I have a newspaper article about it. If I can find it, I will scan it and post it. Stuff can happen to even seasoned boaters. It just takes one careless move. I guess that's why they make checklists .
Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #12
MJM

Default Undersized Vehicle

Ok, here's my confession of an embarassing trailering event...

We're fortunate to be on the water, so our trailering is only to put in at Spring and haul out in Fall. It was Fall, we needed to haul out this one particular day, and the normal tow vehicle (Grand Cherokee) was gone for the weekend! We decided to give it a shot with the small 6cyl Dodge Dynasty....the boat is a 21ft FourWinns bowrider. Pretty heavy boat, but not enormous, so we figured we'd try.

Well, the ramp (Libby Museum) was wet and sandy, and the front wheel drive on the Dynasty was causing slipping tires. I am sure people were thinking "what's up with these guys?!".

With my ego dropping, I asked some strangers to sit on the hood of the car, and thankfully they obliged. It worked fine, but was not my favorite moment on the Lake!
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:55 AM   #13
RumGuy

Default entertainment

When I lived in Middleboro MA, we would ocasionally go over to Plymouth on Sunday afternoon with lawn chairs, and watch the circus, as people pulled their boats out at the public ramp. Apparently it was a "thing", as you had to get there early to beat the crowd and get a good spot.

I guess I am easily entertained...
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #14
Chris Exley

Default I'll admit it....

After purchasing a very, very used boat, we decided to launch near home in PA. Forgot the plug. Many, Many people standing there watching. Felt like a complete idiot.

We launch on to Mirror Lake off of 109. If you have ever been there, then you know that it is not level, it is sandy (no concrete), and well rutted. The only choice of vehicle was the 4 cylinder plymouth voyager that we had towed the boat up with (From PA). Launching was not a problem. Getting the front wheel drive minivan to pull the boat out of the water was a bit of an issue. We ended up having to call a tow truck to pull my van and the boat out onto the road. $60 and a lot of embarassment.

Now we have a 25' new pontoon (well, my brother does), and we use his expedition without incident. The best part is that I don't have to remember to put the plug in the bottom.
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

So true,Rum Guy.In Florida I launch my boat at the end of a canal with houses packed in on both sides.This is a huge source of entertainment for these (mostly retired) snowbirds.Every time a boat arrives,it's like somebody yelled "fire".....they all pile out their homes in hopes of seeing someone miss the narrow ramp and hit a barrier,run a wheel up on a wall,causing the boat to slide sideways from the trailer,forget the plug. forget to set the brake....etc etc. I think you get the picture.Fortunately,I've been doing this for a while and launch with confidence.....much to their disappointment.But they do have some great stories to tell,I must admit.
I can't think of many things that are more embarassing than screwing up a launch in front of a crowd.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Messing up in Front of a crowd is always bad... I hate it, and I do it often....I am the guy that forgets the drain plug. ALthough I am now much better at remembering it... but I have stood in the boat a few times thinking about things getting ready to be pushed off the trailer... and had the thought cross my mind of "I am in the boat my feet shouldn't be wet..." oh well if the world was perfect we wouldn't have humor......
Old 08-04-2006, 07:50 AM   #17
Nhlvrnfla

Default At the very least,

probably this boater will never travel Bay Hill Rd again.....obviously not familiar with the area.......

Glad everyone's okay.
Nhlvrnfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #18
William_Philipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
William I have been boating and trailering boats for a long time, and was lucky enough to have a father that taught me the ropes....and the biggest piece of advice I can offer is don't rush yourself or let other impatient people rush you....Take your time, take it slow and you will be fine.... Also finding a big empty parking lot and practicing close quarters maneuvering is never a bad thing.... I am going to try and do that myself this fall as my new boat/trailer combo just isn't handling like the old one....Luckily I keep my boat in the water most of the summer so I am not having to visit the boat ramp.......

Thanks for the tip! I will be keeping my boat in the water most of the time and just trailering for spring/fall and when I go down to CT, so hopefully I wont have to do the process too much.
William_Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #19
Island Life

Default favorite story

This is my favorite trailering story. I may not have all the facts right, so forgive.

Family goes out in their brand-new boat for the day. They leave the dock and motor at headway speed for a while. Then the guy hits the throttle and there's a lot of noise and strain but the boat doesn't pick up much speed. He does this repeatedly and finally heads back into the dock. Next, he walks to the nearby marina for help. Someone from the marina goes under the boat with snorkel and mask and comes back up choking - with laughter. The guy never took the boat off the trailer.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #20
searay220

Default Keep posting please

I can't tell you how much fun it is for me to read these posts.All these stories are very funny and enjoyable. Please keep them going.
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #21
gtxrider

Default No plug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
Messing up in Front of a crowd is always bad... I hate it, and I do it often....I am the guy that forgets the drain plug. ALthough I am now much better at remembering it... but I have stood in the boat a few times thinking about things getting ready to be pushed off the trailer... and had the thought cross my mind of "I am in the boat my feet shouldn't be wet..." oh well if the world was perfect we wouldn't have humor......
Been there done that and have seen many ohters do the same.

Back in '69 the same day they first walked on the moon we went out on my cousins Searay. We were not far from shore and our cousin who was here from Germany as an exchange student opend the motor cover. Christian looks at my dad's uncle and says with an accent "uncle Martin vuss is all ziss vater?" We looked back and you could see the belts slinging water up and out of there engine compartment. Old cousin Rocko who is normally very laid back said @*&$ and headed the boat back to the ramp at a good rate of speed. OOPS no plug.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #22
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life
This is my favorite trailering story. I may not have all the facts right, so forgive.

Family goes out in their brand-new boat for the day. They leave the dock and motor at headway speed for a while. Then the guy hits the throttle and there's a lot of noise and strain but the boat doesn't pick up much speed. He does this repeatedly and finally heads back into the dock. Next, he walks to the nearby marina for help. Someone from the marina goes under the boat with snorkel and mask and comes back up choking - with laughter. The guy never took the boat off the trailer.
Good story..........has been going around on the internet for several years. Usually it is a new blue Bayliner with a blonde at the helm.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #23
Island Life

Default snopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing
Good story..........has been going around on the internet for several years. Usually it is a new blue Bayliner with a blonde at the helm.
Ah, yes. Now that you mentioned it, I looked it up on snopes.com - the urban legend debunker site. While they could not confirm or deny the blonde and her role in it, they heard from a Bayliner rep. who actually saw a similar event. In his case, there was no need for the chortling snorkeler because they could see the license plate of the trailer beneath the boat.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #24
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life
Ah, yes. Now that you mentioned it, I looked it up on snopes.com....
And that reminds me that the Mythbusters, a TV show on the Discovery Channel, actually did this. They used a small open outboard boat, left the trailer attached, and drove around the bay. I'm pretty sure it went a lot slower.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #25
John A. Birdsall

Default trailer headaches

I had a 1985 Dodge Caravan, 4 cyl auto and in CT while trying to retreive my boat I backed the trailer too far back, Vechile was not in water but the cement ramp ran out with a good drop off behind it. Took five or six people pushing the van without the boat on the trailer to get the trailer back on the ramp. Beware of what you cannot see.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:26 AM   #26
ApS

Hah!

You've reminded me of my buddy with his new and powerful Dodge truck.

A local brand-new ramp had lots of boats "powering-on" to their trailers, which had eroded the sand at the ramp's deep end.

He dropped the wheels off the ramp when launching, but pulled the trailer out with no difficulty. After a day on his airboat, he couldn't pull the airboat AND trailer out, so he selected "low-range" on his truck. He got the boat and trailer out just fine, but left the trailer's axle behind!

D'Oh!