Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Gilligan

Question New Lake Charts and Maps for this summer

The Duncan Press banner ad here says that new this summer is the 3rd digitized edition of their lake chart. Is that an old ad from last year? Is that the same map edition I bought in summer of 2005 or is this a new for 2006 edition from Duncan?

I think Bizer is coming out with a new lake map this summer. I bought a new Bizer in 2004 and will get the new 2006 Bizer when it is available.

I buy both because they help sponsor this forum and web space.

Which is your favorite, Bizer or Duncan and why?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan

Which is your favorite, Bizer or Duncan and why?[/B]
I really like them both. The laminated Duncan is easier for me to take a quick glance at while operating the boat. I grew up using one and am comfortable with it. I find the Bizer a bit cluttered for that. I like the Bizer for its detail and like to study it while at anchor or when I'm gunkholing. I also love my Bizer C-Map chart in my standard Horizon chart plotter.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
jrc

I use Bizer for finding my way around the lake. It has tons of detail and it's a good size. It's not perfect. The safe passage routes are a little hard to find while under way. But it's a great chart. I'm one of their best customers, I have three charts today and I've lost four in the lake, all in four years of boating. Maps don't float.

I like the old Duncan map that Dad had and I grew up with. It just feels and looks like a NH chart. I still have his from the late 80's. I only use it to find names of places that Bizer updated or omitted or just to look at. I see they are reprinting their last edition of that map, I should get one for the house.

I have a newer 2003-4 Ducan that I bought for the fishing info. I find it awkward for navigating, because the lake is split in half. I always seem to be flipping it over. I think they have a single sided version now.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
Sandy Beach

Smile So which do you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan
The Duncan Press banner ad here says that new this summer is the 3rd digitized edition of their lake chart. Is that an old ad from last year? Is that the same map edition I bought in summer of 2005 or is this a new for 2006 edition from Duncan?
I buy both because they help sponsor this forum and web space.
Which is your favorite, Bizer or Duncan and why?
The "new" was removed from the Duncan ad a few months ago. This summer It is the same edition as last season. I think that the Bizer map is also the same edition as last year.

I am surprised that there are so few comments about this. I like the Bizer map. I would rather have the exact location of a marker rather than an approximate location. I also buy both maps but I use the Bizer when out on the boat.

Anyone find a way to locate the marker numbers of un-lit markers?
Sandy Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Mee-n-Mac

Question Old Greenie or Bizer

The question of Duncan vs Bizer comes up every so often. I prefer the Bizer though like DaveR I grew up* with the old greenie and find it a bit easier to read at a glance. As to finding the #'s of the unlit markers - I saw a Duncan press chart that had numbers next to all the markers, not just the lighted navaids. I should have bought it just for that reason. I've yet to see a list (for purchase or otherwise) that gives the lat/long for the aforementioned markers.

*We have a 1977-78 laminated Duncan press chart pinned to the wall in the cabin, just moved it's location the other day. Got me wondering how old the oldest lake chart people still have is ?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
KBoater

1946 map and NOT for sale. It has the some roads put in by hand by my father.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
Rinkerfam

I have a '78/'79 laminated Duncan. It's in pretty rough shape (it came with my parents first boat-a '78 Glastron bowrider purchased in '83). I keep it because of all the memories. One of my best friends has a '66 chart in his bunkhouse which is in perfect shape. It's special to him because he was born that year. My personal chart preference today is the Bizer.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
islandAl

Default June 1911

Not in the best of shape around the edges. Very few markers back then.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
Bizer

Default Bizer's 7th edition is now available.

Gilligan:
Quote:
I bought a new Bizer in 2004 and will get the new 2006 Bizer when it is available.
Well, your wait is over. Bizer’s 7th edition has been in most marinas for a few days. Don has them, too.

We even have two items that were not introduced until April, 2006: The NO-WAKE zone at light #2 and the new buoy north of light #57. Bizer’s seventh edition can be identified by a date of “02-May-06” about one inch to the right of Lake Wentworth. All known changes up to that date are incorporated in Bizer’s Seventh Edition. Enjoy.

Dave R:
Quote:
I find the Bizer a bit cluttered for that. I like the Bizer for its detail and …
Because of comments like this, our depth contours and spot depths are now gray instead of black. They’re still there, but they don’t clutter the chart as much.

jrc:
Quote:
The safe passage routes are a little hard to find while under way. But it's a great chart.
On the seventh edition, the boating routes (and the Mount Washington route) are darker and thicker. Some of them have been extended to catch the eye. However, many people don’t realize that everything in white is a boating route on Bizer’s chart. If it’s white, it’s over six feet deep (and Bizer has $250 if you can show me where it is not).

Sandy Beach:
Quote:
Anyone find a way to locate the marker numbers of un-lit markers?
The Marine Patrol has declared that they have no intention of numbering the un-lit markers.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Exclamation Bizer 7th Edition Chart

Bizer's new 7th Edition Chart of Lake Winnipesaukee can be ordered here:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/bizermap.html
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #11
snowbird

Default Old navigation charts

I have one published by the State of NH Public Service Commission, showing the "general location of aids to navigation as of June 1, 1940." On it, to cite just one name change, the island presently named Camp was identified as Follett's.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #12
Mee-n-Mac

Question Same as in Shibley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandAl
Not in the best of shape around the edges. Very few markers back then.
I wonder if this is the same version as the one that hangs in Shibley's restaurant. That one's dated June 1911 with a handwritten -12 (as in 1912) added in. Seems to have been authored by W.M. ???? (or similar, I've forgotten) of Moultonborough. It makes for an interesting read, as some island (and other) names have been changed (ie-Sleepers I was Little Rattlesnake). I wish I could remember what I was thinking when I thought "I got to remember this" while looking at it. Guess I'll have to go back and take notes this time.

ps - Seems FLboater wins the prize for oldest lake chart. Anyone got a prize they care to give away ?