Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
TomC

Default Fueling at marinas

I like to pump my own fuel on the lake. My boat's venting system is seemingly marginal and if the flow is too high the pump shuts off too soon and/or the gas spews out the vent. A nice moderate pace lets me fill the tank without polluting the lake, so I like to control that process. if a pump jockey fills it, they go full-flow and declare the tank full as soon as they see liquid come out the vent (fair enough) or the nozzle kicks off for the first time. The tank will normally take 5-7 gallons more than this amount when filled at a slower rate. I like to fill as infrequently as possible - who wants to spent time repeatedly waiting at the marina?

Yesterday, at Y-landing, the dock guy claimed that "it is against insurance regulations" to allow me to do that. This was the first time I'd heard of that. I insisted, and he stormed off saying he wasn't going to argue with me (who's arguing?) and began to tend to the boat on the other side of the dock by retrieving the lines. There he yelled at the captain to "put it in reverse, you're ripping my shoulders out" as he was docking. I noticed he was abrupt with all patrons barking orders left and right. (no tips for you!!)

For the reasons I mentioned above, and because I have a carpet on the swim platform that I like to unsnap and roll out of the way to avoid getting gasoline all over it, I like to pump my own fuel.

Do others pump their own gas? Has anyone else run into the mysterious "insurance regulation" issue? He gave up with only a minor objection on my part, so I would be suprised if it was a real rule.

I need premium (93) in my boat to prevent dieseling so I usually gas up at Y-landing or the Navy Yard in Wolfeboro. I am sure I'll run into "Admiral Gas Dock" at Y again, so if I am wrong about the insurance thing and really should let the pump jockeys do it, i'd like to know.

Last edited by TomC; 07-17-2006 at 08:56 AM.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
MJM

I have always pumped my own, for a variety of reasons. I've always found the attendents sorta happy to let someone else do it...gives them a bit of a break. I've gassed pretty much everywhere in the general Wolfeboro area.

I now get all my gas at Andrew's Marine (Minge Cove) and I always pump my own. No problem.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Phantom

Tom -- the only thing I can think of is that it may be "Policy" /i.e. regulations at Y Landing ??? In your first runthrough of the story you didn't mention insurance -- did he??

I've pumped my own at Channell - Anchor - Irwin etc and as MJM said -- the Dock kids are happy to let me.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
TomC

Default yes - He (Y-Landing) mentioned the insurace.

I indicated I wanted to pump the gas and he objected, saying he had to do it because of insurance regulations. I pushed back a little and said I never heard that before and pumped my own at Y-landing a couuple of weeks ago (i only get gas at Y and Goodhue & Hawkins due to the octane I need) with no problem. He threw up his hands and walked away mumbling about it not being worth arguing with me about... I pumped the gas, paid, and went on my way.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Not taking fuel

I had a problem with my boat not taking fuel. I found that my vent tube came off the vent on the tank and went down into the bilge below the tank.I rerouted the vent tube over the top of the tank now the boat takes fuel like a champ.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
cowisl

I know attendants at Channel have to fuel up customers boats as well. They will not serve you unless they pump
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
Phantom

Channel has that policy now ?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
dan

Default channel

I was told that last year at channel. Ins. reg,s was the reason I was given
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
jrc

That could be because of that fueling mishap a few years back.

BTW My previous boat had trouble filling, finally Irwin's had to reroute the vent line. It had a dip in it that would collect fuel and block the vent.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote