Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
Lakegeezer

Default Lighter boat traffic this year?

The boat traffic seems light this year, as if the gas prices is making a difference. Is it that way all over the lake? Of the traffic we see, there seem to be a disproportionate number of waverunners and small boats, which are more fuel efficient.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
Par Four

Not sure if it's the gas prices, could be the weather too, but I'd agreed that the level of boat traffic sure seems less than I might have expected over the past week or two.
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
Rayhunt

Default Traffic

For sure its been light ..Although the ratio of knowledgable to not-so knowledgable boaters is still about the same
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Lighter Traffic for sure

I am on the North side of long island facing Moultonborough Neck, and the traffic is much lighter.......usually the bay is a mess on the weekends but this year....I am actually venturing out in the middle of the day.......
Old 07-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
jimbob1603

Default Where is everybody?

I think boat traffic is light ..... perhaps due to expensive gas or poor weather/water levels. In general, I think this is showing to be a challanging tourist season, economically speaking.
jimbob1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #6
Mee-n-Mac

Question Less boats, more vacancies

I agree, we just got back from a week at the cabin and definitely noticed less boat traffic over the 4'th than usual. Wonder if the business owners are noticing the same thing ?
Old 07-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Cal

The greedy folks causing the high cost of energy and making huge profits don't really care. They have found we will pay what we have to pay to get the gas. Unfortuately other services and products will suffer , be it recreational travel or an extra dinner out. I'm afraid if it continues long enough (and it will) , it will cause major problems in our economy , as in major reccession. Boy , I hope I'm wrong
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
Kevin C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
I'm afraid if it continues long enough (and it will) , it will cause major problems in our economy , as in major reccession. Boy , I hope I'm wrong
Cal....I'm afraid that you are on target. A recession will most likely be right around the corner.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
Mee-n-Mac

Wink What would Pogo say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
The greedy folks causing the high cost of energy and making huge profits don't really care. They have found we will pay what we have to pay to get the gas. Unfortuately other services and products will suffer , be it recreational travel or an extra dinner out. I'm afraid if it continues long enough (and it will) , it will cause major problems in our economy , as in major reccession. Boy , I hope I'm wrong
Hey we all still buying the stuff so let's not forget the demand end of supply and demand. While there's some hurt now I'd say it is/was inevitable because as more people (think China, India) demand the same product the price will rise. The silver lining is that as energy (gas included) prices rise alternatives get to be cost competitive. Just looking at oil/gas ... "new" oil gets found and old hard-to-get oil gets to be worth the expense to retrieve. Things like TDP get to be economically viable as well. The real trick it too use oil/gas for those things, and only those things, that it's practically suited for (at this time) and use "other stuff" for our other energy needs. While I think some form of economic downturn is possible (perhaps even likely), I don't see it as long lasting. Prices will stabilize at or near the present values in the not too distant future and people will adapt. Some of that adaptation will be as you say and some will be to waste less so as to be able to go out (on the boat or for a dinner). Me, I'm thinking it's time to home brew rather than buy that inferior beer ! That alone could fuel our boat for the summer.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #10
Kevin C

It's just that oil is the common denominator in our economy. Not just what we use in our personal cars, boats, etc but it's used in production all over the U.S. We heavily rely on plastics (to use just one example) to make virtually everything we consume. Plastics are petroleum based. When the cost of oil / fuel skyrockets that cost is passed along to the consumers by way of higher prices to produce and transport those goods to market and inflation starts. Hope recession is held at bay, but I'm nervous about the economy.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:21 AM   #11
ApS

Seems to be a trend: In 2004, the weather was to blame for the low boat density. In 2005, it was the price of gasoline.

While the worst gas-guzzlers are everywhere, it seems that the number of tiny sailboats these past two weekends have greatly increased. Encouraged, I've started a fiberglass repair that's kept my Sunfish on shore.

The class of boat that appears down in numbers is in the middle: pontoon boats and bow riders. The number of skiers and tubers may be down some as a result, but the water is warming up.

I'd say it's too early in the season to call this a permanent trend, but that's what I'm seeing from this shore.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:18 AM   #12
fpartri497

Default boat traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
I agree, we just got back from a week at the cabin and definitely noticed less boat traffic over the 4'th than usual. Wonder if the business owners are noticing the same thing ?
I agree ME! I, for the first time in many a year ventured out on to the lake on the 4-th of july and found very little traffic once out of the bay. (alton) I have not been brave enough to try that in years.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ...time for a Baja!

Apparently, there's been less new boat sales this year too, on a nation wide basis. Am not sure if this is for the same reason the Winni appears to have less boat traffic. Brunswick Corp, the country's biggest boat maker with names like Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, Baja, Lund, and MerCruiser had its' stock sink to a two year low price today. Hey, maybe this is a good time to be buying that 52' Baja on a 99 year financing deal. Hellooooo local Baja dealer!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #14
Weekend Pundit

It seems to me the traffic is lighter than previous years. About the only time I noticed 'normal' traffic on a weekend was the last weekend of June. Sunday noon traffic was as I remembered it. But that was only one day, so it can't be used as an indicator.

I have to agree that gas prices probably have something to do with it. I know I'm glad that my boat doesn't use nearly as much gas as many of the larger and faster boats. It's interesting to be envied by those with more expensive and powerful boats rather than the other way around.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
itchin for fishin

OK, I'm betting y'all jinxed us and this weekend will be a madhouse. Connect with ya on Monday to see the amount of traffic with predicted nice weekend and hot temps.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #16
Airwaves

Beyond fuel prices and the weather, my greatest concern is the Ethanol content of the gasoline and what it will do to my boat's engine.

I "control" two boats, a 90 Cobalt and and 86 Crestliner. One is an I/O the other an outboard.

The outboard I know has an inboard aluminum gasoline tank, but I don't know what the Cobalt's gasoline tank is made from.

I am reluctant to put her (Cobalt) into the water until I know. The O/B well, it's just been a bad summer so far.

Yep, weather has been bad, prices have been bad, but I really am concerned about damage to my engine(s)!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote