Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
gravy boat

Default Obedience Trainer -- Any of them come to your property?

Good afternoon,

After losing one of our Old English Sheepdogs to heart failure we recently (last Sunday) adopted two youngsters who have had basic training, but we want to work with them and take them to the next few levels.

We know of group classes throughout the week -- our issue is our schedule so we are hoping to find a trainer that can work with us on our property. Does anybody know of trainer in the Gilford area?

Many thanks from us and Zeke and Zeva.

GB
Does anybody know of
Attached Images

gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
isleofsand

Default Great trainer

I have a personal connection to this wonderful lady, but have also attended two sets of classes by Dot for my puppy, Level 1 and 2. She is great at explaining why to do certain things, not just "do this". She is willing to do private lessons at the training center. I'm not entirely sure about private lessons at the house, but it's always worth asking!
http://www.nhcanineconnection.com/
http://www.assistancecanine.org/
Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
donnamatrix

Default Call Jim O'Brien in Wolfeboro

Hi
We have a 11 month old Labradoodle, who when we got him in October, was horridly shy. We took him to the AKC puppy course in Meredith, and it was good starting point. We took him to the Lakes Region Pet Resort doggie daycare, but because he was so isolated, we called in Kelly Arborgast who is behaviorist and also a trainer. There are several links on LRPR for trainers:
http://www.lakesregionpetresort.com/Staff.html . Kelly observed Cosmo at the daycare and suggested we take him out of daycare-he needed socialization, and it was making the situation worse rather than better. So we found Jim O'Brien in Wolfeboro

Jim O'Brien of O'Brien's Pet Supply in Wolfeboro is great. Jim is a K9 officer for Wolfeboro. We did several courses with him, and private training at home and outside our home as well. He runs a socialization class every Saturday from 10-11:30 for $5 in Wolfeboro. It's been tremendous for Cosmo. We are now going to put Cosmo through the AKC Canine Good Citizenship course at Jim's. This is the first step you must take to have a therapy dog, which is not what we want for Cosmo. We want the training and socialization. I cannot say enough good things about Kelly and Jim. If anyone had told me in January that Cosmo would end up being able to take - and I believe succeed - the AKC CGC, I would have laughed.... it's been a lot of commitment, but working out well. Jim also has a facebook page.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

I am waiting to hear where Cosmo is going to college in the fall? Ha Ha. I hope to see Cosmos when you are out in your boat.

Last edited by Greene's Basin Girl; 05-09-2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: I spelled the dog's name incorrectly.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
donnamatrix

Default Cosmo to college

Hi GBG: we finally have boat in the water. Took Cosmo out last week to look at eagles in Moultonboro Bay. He was a little anxious, but hopefully will get over it. Remember, I am a cat person. Jerry is the dog person. I just lost this particular battle!!! He will be barking at you from the boat once you and Redwing get your tubes in the water. See you soon!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Sheepdogs

Gravy, I am so sorry for your loss! Our furry friends really work their way into our hearts and it is such a shame that their lives cannot be longer.

Zeke and Zeva are absolutely gorgeous!!! May you have many, many years with lots of fun. I hope you will share more pictures with us as they grow up.

Best of luck with the trainer. Looks like you have some great possibilities.

Cel
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
gravy boat

Default Thank you

Thank you, all!!!

GB

gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote