Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
WJT2

Default Golden Horseshoe

I remember eating there once as a small child. Italian fare. I think it was on Spindle Point or Pitchwood Island. I remember going by boat Chris-Craft "Six T's" from Birch island with my relatives. I'll bet lots of people have eaten there yet even more forget. How's that for a swim down memory lake?
WJT2
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
eillac@dow

I too remember going there as a child....a few years ago, I posted about the Golden Horsehoe....see thread... (if I attached the thread correctly!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6208

My memories are vague, but they are good ones of family..aunts, uncles, cousins...all of us going. I would love it if someone had pictures...hint, hint!

Thanks for the memory!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
garysanfran

Default The Golden Horseshoe...

was on Cattle Landing Rd. Either #80 or #88. It's been a private home for about 40 yrs. It was primarily a pizza place owned by the Chicola family. They went out of business shortly after making the decision to increase their profit margins by putting only one piece of pepperonni on each slice of a peppeeronni pizza. At one point the home was owned by someone connected high-up in The Bruins organization until the divorce.
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
6meter

I'll agree with you on the pepperoni. The Chicola's were one of the original go eat by boat places on the lake. Great idea, bad product. Dimitri Kristov (spell?) bought the house and lived there in the off season as he was a hockey player for the Bruins. The house might still be in the family.
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
fatlazyless

It is located very close to Horse Island and is a large white palatial house surrounded on three sides by water. Dimitri Kristich, a Ukraine hockey player, played defense for the Boston Bruins and a couple other teams. It's a real beauty of a location and house and can easily been seen from one to two miles across the water starting in Gilford. It's a large white house and reflects a lot of the afternoon sun as you head north past Buoy 3. Dmitri and his very attractive Meredith wife had the whole place totally rebuilt from bottom to top in about 1998.

It was sold about three years ago so who knows, maybe the new couple that owns it would welcome reopening the Golden Horseshoe for $1.25 pizza slice & two dollar beers, visited by boaters? Maybe show some video of Dmitri scoring a long shot from the red line!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
6meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Dimitri Kristich, a Ukraine hockey player, played defense for the Boston Bruins and a couple other teams.
He played right wing.
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Debbie Mc Dewell

Default The Golden Horseshoe!

I tell my kids and husband about the the Golden Horseshoe all the time. I went there as a kid by car and by boat about 50 years ago. I remember the huge yellow sign shaped like a golden horseshoe hanging from trees that was all lit up at night to be seen by boat. My Dad would often pick up our order by boat (even at night) because it was faster than by car. By car, I remember traveling down a long dirt road with no street lights. It was so spooky as a kid, but then at the end of road you would arrive at this big house where the pizza was made to pick up your order.

Very interesting to learn about the history of the owners. I do remember it being on the point at the very end of Meredith Neck Road, after Cattle Landing. Not too many streets or houses back then.

Doesn't anyone have pictures of the place??
Debbie Mc Dewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
garysanfran

Default The house is for sale again...

and the road has been paved for quite some time.

A couple from New York bought the house a few years ago. The husband was a pro-photographer for Life Magazine. His wife was a reporter. The last time I saw them Harry was having problems walking and that was a couple of years ago. There are actually two houses there at #88. The other house has a lap pool in it. I'm afraid the sale of the house probably has to do with health issues.
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Doesn't anyone have pictures of the place??[/QUOTE]

For Sale By Owner
www.highdomain.com

is what the home made sign above the mailbox says today, Aug 14, 2013, along with a high-quality promo photo, at 88 Cattle Landing Rd in Meredith.

Been up for sale at 3.2-mil for approximately one month now, and the website includes a homemade 8-minute youtube video, inside and out, of the property.

According to the Vision Appraisal-Meredith website, the current owners purchased it on 4/30/2007 for 2.6-mil ..... I know some major improvements like an indoor continuous swimming pool and pool enclosure and a drilled well have been made .... the town has it assessed at $2,061,700 .... asking price 3.2 -mil ....and the property taxes are $2,166./month, or $26,000/year.

In July, 1996, this property was purchased for $349,000, according to Vision Appraisal, and at the time, as I recall, it looked like a haunted wreck that was likely to burn down in the middle of the night. Major reconstruction and new construction with many improvements was done on it soon after that.

Now that the Town of Meredith has redone the surface on their six public tennis courts, maybe Maria Sharipova, the highest paid, professional female athlete in the U.S., will move in and restart the long-gone, maybe since 1983-do not know, Golden Horseshoe pizza business with access by boat.....and rename it ShariPizzaPova ......boat-on-in......no......probably not?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-15-2013 at 05:48 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote