Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Winnisquam Marine / New Toon!

After 6 seasons of absolute fun and reliability, we finally decided it was time to trade in the old Manitou tri-toon. While 6 years does not make a boat old by any stretch, the more recent luxury advancements made in the performance toon market was just too good to pass up. Once we went to Winnisquam Marine and sat down with their sales rep Ryan, he made the decision easy for us.

We ended up getting a custom floor plan 25.5' Premier Gemini PTX with a 250 Merc Verado on it. It's basically a luxury fishing performance pontoon boat.

This particular floor plan has seats in the stern for fishing. This means I can now fish and land fish in the Stern of the boat rather than the side. My downriggers can also be mounted in the rear atop their optional downrigger mount custom made for Premier Pontoons. The front of the boat has your standard layout of wrap around flexsteel lounge sofas which are very comfortable.

This new boat has pretty much every option available including fly by wire digital controls which are really smooth (we test rode before purchasing). The 250 Verado has a supercharger for lots of low and mid range torque and it is so quiet it's honestly hard to tell when its running !

While I am giving up a little in performance / speed when compared to the Manitou, the fit, finish, options available and sheer luxury of the Premier more than make up the difference.

I would also like to mention the wonderful experience we have had thus far with Ryan and Winnisquam Marine. We had many pricing options to go through and many questions before we decided to make this deal. All through the process Ryan was very professional and very… no, EXTREMELY responsive, and did everything he could to make this a pleasant buying experience.

Once I signed on the dotted line, the service manager contacted me and asked me to bring him my trolling motor and batteries so he could have it all mounted and ready for me for when they dropped the boat off! Both my wife and I agree that they want to build long lasting relationships and not one hit sales. They have succeeded thus far!!

My new boat gets dropped off at my home dock this Sunday!! We can’t wait!!

Wave if you see me!

Dan
Happy Gourmand (09-13-2013), Lakesrider (09-17-2013), welchislandman (09-11-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Congratulations! You still have some nice time to use it.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
brk-lnt

Hard to tell if you're excited or not
Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Happy Gourmand

Welcome to the Premier Club!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Grandpa Redneck

Congrats, I am sure you will continue to have a great experience with Winnisquam, and be very happy with the Premier!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Hard to tell if you're excited or not
Yeah I know!

I think what we are really excited about was the buying experience with Winnisquam Marine. My first pontoon boat (Manitou) experience was an absolute nightmare to say the least because of the dealer. I won't mention the dealer name because they have since been bought out and are trying to make a new and better reputation for themselves. I wish them all the luck in the world!

Dan
Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Yeah I know!

I think what we are really excited about was the buying experience with Winnisquam Marine. My first pontoon boat (Manitou) experience was an absolute nightmare to say the least because of the dealer. I won't mention the dealer name because they have since been bought out and are trying to make a new and better reputation for themselves. I wish them all the luck in the world!

Dan
A good sales experience can certainly impact overall product perception. Glad to hear things went well. I've heard lots of good stuff about Winnisquam marine, if I ever decide to buy a new boat they will be one of my stops.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Woodsy

CONGRATS!

Woodsy
Old 09-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
After 6 seasons of absolute fun and reliability, we finally decided it was time to trade in the old Manitou tri-toon. While 6 years does not make a boat old by any stretch, the more recent luxury advancements made in the performance toon market was just too good to pass up. Once we went to Winnisquam Marine and sat down with their sales rep Ryan, he made the decision easy for us.

We ended up getting a custom floor plan 25.5' Premier Gemini PTX with a 250 Merc Verado on it. It's basically a luxury fishing performance pontoon boat.

This particular floor plan has seats in the stern for fishing. This means I can now fish and land fish in the Stern of the boat rather than the side. My downriggers can also be mounted in the rear atop their optional downrigger mount custom made for Premier Pontoons. The front of the boat has your standard layout of wrap around flexsteel lounge sofas which are very comfortable.

This new boat has pretty much every option available including fly by wire digital controls which are really smooth (we test rode before purchasing). The 250 Verado has a supercharger for lots of low and mid range torque and it is so quiet it's honestly hard to tell when its running !

While I am giving up a little in performance / speed when compared to the Manitou, the fit, finish, options available and sheer luxury of the Premier more than make up the difference.

I would also like to mention the wonderful experience we have had thus far with Ryan and Winnisquam Marine. We had many pricing options to go through and many questions before we decided to make this deal. All through the process Ryan was very professional and very… no, EXTREMELY responsive, and did everything he could to make this a pleasant buying experience.

Once I signed on the dotted line, the service manager contacted me and asked me to bring him my trolling motor and batteries so he could have it all mounted and ready for me for when they dropped the boat off! Both my wife and I agree that they want to build long lasting relationships and not one hit sales. They have succeeded thus far!!

My new boat gets dropped off at my home dock this Sunday!! We can’t wait!!

Wave if you see me!

Dan
I am glad you went Verado. I knew you would not like that pro xs in the long run, thus the suggestion. Ryan and I always joke about his love for the pro xs but after owning both you made the right choice.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I am glad you went Verado. I knew you would not like that pro xs in the long run, thus the suggestion. Ryan and I always joke about his love for the pro xs but after owning both you made the right choice.
We went with the Pro XS based on their recommendation. Though I can't say that I dislike it, I've been on a couple pontoons with the Verado and really liked the smoothness and quietness of them compared to the Pro XS.
I'm very happy with my Premier, I think I would have been happier with a Verado hanging off the back of it.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
We went with the Pro XS based on their recommendation. Though I can't say that I dislike it, I've been on a couple pontoons with the Verado and really liked the smoothness and quietness of them compared to the Pro XS.
I'm very happy with my Premier, I think I would have been happier with a Verado hanging off the back of it.
One of the main reasons I went with the Verado (besides Codemans excellent recommendation) is the fact that my new floor plan is completely open in the stern, there is simply nothing there to muffle any sound. My Manitou had a storage locker in the stern that completely isolated and muffled any engine sound.

After test driving the 300 Verado, I was sold!

Dan
codeman671 (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
One of the main reasons I went with the Verado (besides Codemans excellent recommendation) is the fact that my new floor plan is completely open in the stern, there is simply nothing there to muffle any sound. My Manitou had a storage locker in the stern that completely isolated and muffled any engine sound.

After test driving the 300 Verado, I was sold!

Dan
Codeman, where were you when I needed you??
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Codeman, where were you when I needed you??
Always here, pushing verado over optimax and getting Ryan new clients!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Always here, pushing verado over optimax and getting Ryan new clients!
I have a new 300 HP Verado and it is the quietest engine out there. I could not ever figure out why Ryan keep pushing the Optimax. No comparison with Verado. I even bought a Tritoon with a dealer that only sells Yamaha. Even though Yamaha has the best overall reputation as being the most reliable, I insisted if I were to buy a boat from them that it had to be a Verado. Even at WOT people sitting in the front of the boat claim that they can not hear the engine. The dealer even can't believe how quiet it is. Every time I go there to get gas the owner will come out and say is your engine running with a smile. Truly amazing.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-12-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
WinniMarine

Default New Premier purchase

First off, I want to welcome Dan and Kathy to the Premier Pontoon family. We have been extremely happy selling Premier and their boats are just amazing!!!

I always do my best to deliver a great product and to have happy boaters on the water...

As far as my love for Optimax as some people mentioned, I have just had a very good experience with them. They have a better power to weight ratio, the maintenance costs less and they consume less fuel. The 200 Optimax runs about the same speed as a 250 Verado and it costs thousands less. My last 2 engines were 225 ProXS Optimax engines and they were great. Codeman had a 250 ProXS that for some reason is a noisy engine compared to the other Optimax engines but it runs very good. The 200 ProXS is our most popular engine and has been extremely reliable and is just a powerhouse. It can be a little noisy when starting and at lower rpms but once your cruising it has a nice sound to it.

The Verado has a bunch of cool features such as the DTS(Digital Throttle and Shift) and is extremely quiet at idle. The supercharger helps it hold a good speed even when the boat is loaded up. We have sold a good amount of Verados this year especially on the larger Premiers as the Optimax only goes up to a 250 hp while the Verado goes up to a 300 as a non race motor.

If both engines were the same price we would sell more Verados. Premier is already an expensive boat and to sell it with an engine that is thousands more it's hard to justify in my mind. Also, you have to go with a larger Verado to get the same speed out of it. If I was to sell a 25 foot Premier with the PTX package I typically go with the 200 ProXS. If it was a Verado I would be recommending the 250 Pro which brings the cost up even more. I'm trying to provide the most boat for the dollar to my customers...

Happy Boating!!!

Ryan Crawford
VP Winnisquam Marine
President NH Marine Trades Association
WinniMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WinniMarine For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (09-13-2013), codeman671 (09-13-2013), Happy Gourmand (09-13-2013), ishoot308 (09-13-2013), SteveA (09-13-2013), Winnigirl (09-13-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
A good sales experience can certainly impact overall product perception. Glad to hear things went well. I've heard lots of good stuff about Winnisquam marine, if I ever decide to buy a new boat they will be one of my stops.
Your next stop should be at Channel Marine. The Bennington hands down out performs a Premier. I know I have tried them both in the rough conditions
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #17
Greene's Basin Girl

I absolutely love my Harris tri-toon. I will be out in Wolfeboro Bay tomorrow helping to patrol the regatta. My boat can handle any conditions on a rough day.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #18
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Your next stop should be at Channel Marine. The Bennington hands down out performs a Premier. I know I have tried them both in the rough conditions
And the Ford/Chevy debate lives on...
I have a 23' Premier with the 200 Pro XS. 46 MPH on the GPS with clean toons....44 2 weekends ago. Though I think the Verado is quieter and smoother, like Ryan says above, i think you'd need a 250 to match the performance of the 200 Pro XS. He's right about it sipping gas too...and he says I'll thank him when it comes to winterizing, service and maintenance. Ask me about that next spring.
Just a few more weeks left before it comes out of the water. Looking forward to a few more nice rides and some leaf peeping!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
WinniMarine

Default Premier Pontoons

All triple log pontoons drive very good these days. I took a regular triple round log Premier out for a test drive yesterday in white caps and it did very good. That wasn't even their PTX package which does just awesome. Fortunately for us and Premier I don't have many customers that have driven multiple different brands say that they think another brand rides better than the PTX package that Premier offers. It's all personal preference but when chasedawg was looking at Premier and he told me he felt that Bennington rode better I was very surprised because I'm not used to hearing that, most people just love the ride of the Premier and are amazed at the difference. I know the Bennington also rides very good but it's not a planing hull like Premier and it doesn't have the same flotation as a 36 inch wide u-shaped pontoon.

The majority of the time a person is going to like best what they bought. It's pride in what they own and I understand that. There are many things to consider when buying a boat including quality, layout, ride, performance, brand, dealership and more. It's not only about selling the boat, it's the service afterwards that matters. Combine all these factors and I think it's why we are the number 1 selling 22 foot and larger, pontoon dealership in NH. That's hard to do with such a high-end product but we try to show everyone why Premier holds the greatest value and is worth the extra money. We also work very hard to provide the best service possible.

Whatever someone ends up with I wish them the best and hope that they have happy boating. I just know that when I walk around at boat shows and check out all the different brands that I wouldn't trade having Premier at our dealership for any other brand.

Happy Boating!!!

Ryan Crawford
Winnisquam Marine
WinniMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WinniMarine For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (09-14-2013), Lakesrider (09-17-2013), LIforrelaxin (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniMarine View Post
All triple log pontoons drive very good these days. I took a regular triple round log Premier out for a test drive yesterday in white caps and it did very good. That wasn't even their PTX package which does just awesome. Fortunately for us and Premier I don't have many customers that have driven multiple different brands say that they think another brand rides better than the PTX package that Premier offers. It's all personal preference but when chasedawg was looking at Premier and he told me he felt that Bennington rode better I was very surprised because I'm not used to hearing that, most people just love the ride of the Premier and are amazed at the difference. I know the Bennington also rides very good but it's not a planing hull like Premier and it doesn't have the same flotation as a 36 inch wide u-shaped pontoon.

The majority of the time a person is going to like best what they bought. It's pride in what they own and I understand that. There are many things to consider when buying a boat including quality, layout, ride, performance, brand, dealership and more. It's not only about selling the boat, it's the service afterwards that matters. Combine all these factors and I think it's why we are the number 1 selling 22 foot and larger, pontoon dealership in NH. That's hard to do with such a high-end product but we try to show everyone why Premier holds the greatest value and is worth the extra money. We also work very hard to provide the best service possible.

Whatever someone ends up with I wish them the best and hope that they have happy boating. I just know that when I walk around at boat shows and check out all the different brands that I wouldn't trade having Premier at our dealership for any other brand.

Happy Boating!!!

Ryan Crawford
Winnisquam Marine
Rayn,

Excellent post...... A boats handling is all personal preference... not everyone likes the same qualities, that is way there is room for so many manufactures

I have driven many boats over the years... all have unique characteristics.....
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

So is this the setup the OP bought. With the fishing style seats. I have not seen one like it around here. Interesting alternative fishing boat.....

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #22
ishoot308

Default Here It Is!

Here's a pic of the back of the new Premier I just got. It also has a full camper cover which I will rarely use except maybe in the very early spring. The front bimini will be taken down during the summer as it is just too much. The seat covers I have and a full helm enclosure should be more than adequate protection for foul weather.

I will be mounting at least 3 downriggers off the back rails using Premiers custom rail mount.

That console in front of the motor is a good sized livewell. There are also rod holders which can't be seen in the pic.

I have a 36 volt 101 lb thrust trolling motor on the front with permanently mounted trolling batteries in the center pontoon that Winnisquam marine hooked up for me. There is an on board charger for these batteries. I just basically plug the side of the boat in to charge.

Hopefully I will be able to get the entire boat rigged for trolling before putting it away in storage for the winter. Till then, I will continue jigging for lakers which has been a blast!!!

Dan
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
SIKSUKR

Great looking set-up Dan. Really looking to go in this direction.
ishoot308 (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #24
Winnilifer

Thumbs up Premeir Gemini

Can you/is there a way to mount a kicker motor on your rig?

Great looking boat - Wish you tons of luck with her.
Winnilifer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnilifer For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #25
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnilifer View Post
Can you/is there a way to mount a kicker motor on your rig?

Great looking boat - Wish you tons of luck with her.
Yes, there are a couple of different options to mount a kicker on a pontoon, none of which were very appealing to me hence why I went electric. Here's one example..http://www.powrtran.com/cgi-bin/cart...?parts_id=9729

My electric will push me at 2.2 mph (75% of capacity) for approximately 3 1/2 - 4 hours when somewhat calm. It can go 3 mph at top speed but not for long maybe 1 1/2 hours tops. I have two battery packs so I am good for 7 hours + or -. When its windy forget it, I have to use the big motor. My old Etec was fine trolling for hours on end without issue not sure about the Verado yet but just seems like a shame to put trolling hours on a motor that size!

Dan
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #26
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Wow. You're right. That is a big chunk of canvas..... Beautiful boat though. I hope you have fun with it.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #27
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
..... When its windy forget it, I have to use the big motor......
Dan
Or just put all that canvas up and go sailing
Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #28
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default It is a nice pontoon!

I said in a previous message ( the Winnisquam Loon post) That I had been on Winnisquam in a 29' Priemer. My son, who works for Winnisqaum told me we were actually on that same 25.5 Premier with the 250 on it.

It was indeed a very smooth and FAST pontoon. Sure beats my 20' 2 log, with the 50HP. LOL

Nice looking setup Dan!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #29
Happy Gourmand

Excellent choice of colors, I have the same on my 235 Solaris. Nothing but great comments every place we've been
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #30
dt5150

wow, she's a beaut dan! of course i'm somewhat partial to black boats myself..

if you need any kind of custom rod holders etc. made up, let me know. a buddy of mine has made several for some other guys i know. he does great work too. congrats on the new barge!
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #31
crowsnest

Another home run for the Crawford family. I Just purchased the 24 sunsation
skydeck with the slide that was out front (my 4th boat in 5 years from them ) Great service Great people you cant go wrong with Winnisqaum Marine.
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #32
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
Another home run for the Crawford family. I Just purchased the 24 sunsation
skydeck with the slide that was out front (my 4th boat in 5 years from them ) Great service Great people you cant go wrong with Winnisqaum Marine.
You will like it, the slides are a blast! We had a great time on ours.