Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Scary situation

A few days ago, our neighbors were out towing their grandkids on tubes out in Moultonborough Bay. A wooden boat came towards them, never slowing, getting closer and closer. It came within 10 feet of them, and the guy was looking right at them. The name of the boat was either the Margaret Ann or Magdeline Ann.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Why would anyone do this on purpose? It makes me think twice about taking my young nephew and nieces out tubing if someone is out there deliberately jeopardizing tubers safety.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Kamper

The driver was either blind or stupid.

I'm not trying to "blame the victim" but it would have been wise for your neighbors to take evasive action before he got that close.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
The driver was either blind or stupid.

I'm not trying to "blame the victim" but it would have been wise for your neighbors to take evasive action before he got that close.
I totally agree with both statements. The boat driver "should" have changed course.

However, the single biggest problem I see on the lake is irresponsible boaters that are towing "tubers" .

I can't count the times some dope with kids in tow totally ignores the rules. They seem to either don't know or ignore the fact that they are subject to all the same rules all boats need to obey.

I think, that they think, they have some sort of special rules because they have someone in tow. They don't. They are required to obey all of the 150' and "give way" rules.

http://boat-ed.com/nh/handbook/ski.htm
Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
ApS

Red face Wooden Boat? Uh-oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
"...The driver was either blind or stupid..."
I have three neighbors who are sighted in only one eye. (!)

The neighbor I know best collides occasionally with cars pulling out of curbside parking spaces to the right. Because it is perfectly legal to drive having sight in just one eye, he has never been charged in those R.O.W. collisions.

One other neighbor, here on Lake Winnipesaukee, would alarm most of us with the choice of his dreamed-for performance boat!

Now for the "Uh-oh"...

The economy keeps him in his old, wooden classic 26-footer.

Speaking of tubers, I saw one skipper last week who stood astride the helm, occasionally glancing over his shoulder ahead, then alternately turning to smile proudly at his gifted offspring. I couldn't see any "observers".
Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Lakegeezer

I had a similar incident a few years ago with the Margaret Ann, up near Ganzy Island. Came right at me from the left front quadrant (where I had stand-on rights). I pulled it back to neutral and he ended up passing about 20 feet from me at full speed. Old boat, maybe he DOES own the lake.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default Morons On The Loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
A few days ago, our neighbors were out towing their grandkids on tubes out in Moultonborough Bay. A wooden boat came towards them, never slowing, getting closer and closer. It came within 10 feet of them, and the guy was looking right at them. The name of the boat was either the Margaret Ann or Magdeline Ann.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Why would anyone do this on purpose? It makes me think twice about taking my young nephew and nieces out tubing if someone is out there deliberately jeopardizing tubers safety.
This doesn't surprise me at all as the idiots were out in full force this past weekend on the lake. I have never seen or experienced the amount of idiotic moves by boaters than what I have over the weekend. Some of the moves occurred right in front of a Marine Patrol boat and they did nothing. 150' rule infractions are a joke! How about 20' infractions at wide open throttle right next to a sailboat! I witnessed at least a dozen serious 150' rule violations...when I say serious I'm talking 50' or less!! I gave up getting mad and simply continued on with my rule of ALWAYS being the give way vessel no matter what!

Whew...That felt good!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
NoRegrets

Default Another one....

It was a great weekend on the lake. We were heading back to the marina in Paugus bay Sunday evening around 5:30 PM we witnessed a family pulling a tube towards the Wiers right in the middle of all the boats. I thought that was a poor choice by the driver but it is their right to the lake. Then we could not believe it when they continued right through the channel with a child on the tube (tow rope extended to around 60+ feet). We ended up being several boats behind. I was concerned that the fast flow may swing the tube into the oncoming boat traffic but they made it okay.

Is it only me thinking that this was a stupid action? I can't help being aggravated about the risk they introduced to everyone in the channel if something were to go wrong. I felt like I should have done something but you can not change stupid.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
GTO

Default getting bad out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post

I was out last weekend and was coming towards a small channel near where I live. There was a boat coming towards me so at no wake speed and I slowed down and did the same. (there's just a little more than enough room for boats to pass through here safely anyways). That worked out fine but the bonehead that was coming up behind me at full throttle must of had other ideas. He finally throttled down about 15-20 feet from us. For a minute, we were all looking back wondering if he was going to stop at all.
I sat on the dock and watched boat traffic yesterday and said outloud, "there are going to be some real serious accidents this year".
Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
It was a great weekend on the lake. We were heading back to the marina in Paugus bay Sunday evening around 5:30 PM we witnessed a family pulling a tube towards the Wiers right in the middle of all the boats. I thought that was a poor choice by the driver but it is their right to the lake. Then we could not believe it when they continued right through the channel with a child on the tube (tow rope extended to around 60+ feet). We ended up being several boats behind. I was concerned that the fast flow may swing the tube into the oncoming boat traffic but they made it okay.

Is it only me thinking that this was a stupid action? I can't help being aggravated about the risk they introduced to everyone in the channel if something were to go wrong. I felt like I should have done something but you can not change stupid.
I see people pulling tubes or other pull behinds through the six pack, hole in the wall, barber's pole, and grave yard all the time...... do I agree with it no,,, should something be done about it, I wish something would be.... however I have seen this done right in front of the MP so I am thinking there may actuall be no rule against it.....

Skip any words of Wisdom or obscure RSA that you know off here????
Old 07-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Pricestavern

Default Cap'n Boneheads Everywhere

Saturday I was coming across the Broads from Wolfboro and just happened to be explaining what a "Captain Bonehead" was to one of my guests. We had our eye on a med-sized boat that was coming towards us from the port quarter and not slowing down or making moves to avoid.

Figuring we had a prime example of Cap'n Bonehead on our hands, I cut back throttle to let the joker pass. To our amazement, this tarter-head stops his boat directly in front of us, no more than 100 foot away and starts rooting around for something down in his cabin. After a few seconds, he reappars, guns the engine and takes off up the Broads. I don't think he ever realized that we were there.

Never assume anyone knows what they're doing.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
bigRazor

Yesterday I passed someone pulling their kid on a tube through the Weirs channel. He was at no wake at least.
bigRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
rander7823

Default Cap'n Boneheads

We took the trip to Wolfeboro on Friday on the Mount and I couldn't believe how many boats were cutting across the bow and really close. One went acrsss the stern and could have been more than 50 feet away.
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
Skip

Post Tubing regulations.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
...I have seen this done right in front of the MP so I am thinking there may actuall be no rule against it.....

Skip any words of Wisdom or obscure RSA that you know off here????
While we are all aware of the observer rules (over 13, able to assist and one for each tuber, with a maximum of 2 tubes) there are no specific rules forbidding what we have all seen discussed here.

Both the boat and the towed individual are legal if both are observing all applicable boating regulations.

Crazy but true.....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
travaler18

Default lost tuber

without anyone getting hurt i would like to see the tuber in the weirs channel break free during this current and watch the ensuing panic of the idiot father seeing his son swept downstream while other boats try to miss him. OOOOH WHAT A SIGHT ! Then again, someone stupid enough to do that would just shrug it off.
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow Towing regulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
While we are all aware of the observer rules (over 13, able to assist and one for each tuber, with a maximum of 2 tubes) there are no specific rules forbidding what we have all seen discussed here.

Both the boat and the towed individual are legal if both are observing all applicable boating regulations.

Crazy but true.....
Sounds like we need a reasonable and prudent law for towing watersports. Towing should be done in a reasonable and prudent matter.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #16
MJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
I think, that they think, they have some sort of special rules because they have someone in tow. They don't. They are required to obey all of the 150' and "give way" rules.

http://boat-ed.com/nh/handbook/ski.htm

Right on the money! Over the years, I have had this conversation with MANY friends/aquaintances, most of whom are experienced boaters and safety-concious. They thought the fact that they had someone in tow gave them the right of way.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #17
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Sounds like we need a reasonable and prudent law for towing watersports. Towing should be done in a reasonable and prudent matter.
Please, no more laws, reasonable, prudent or otherwise. I saw some chucklehead right about in front of Shed Brown's a week or so ago towing two kids on a tube with his jetski and no spotter. He was all alone without a care in the world. Every now and again he would turn around to check if they were still there. There is a law against that but this guy certainly had no clue of its existence. More laws won't help. To steal somebody's tag line, "You can't cure stupid".
Old 07-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #18
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Characteristic bad boating by the Margaret Ann operator

Thank you all for your responses. I got more info on the situation.

My neighbor, who I know to be extremely conscientious, took his grandkids out at 9 am on a weekday to take advantage of the low boat traffic and calm waters. Apparently, there were no other boats in sight, yet the Maragaret Ann came right for them. The evasive action he took was to power the boat down to neutral.

As the many stories here can attest, there are plenty of irresponsible boaters who don't yield, or don't know when to yield, when towing people (or not towing people). From what Lakegeezer says, the owner of the Margaret Ann seems to be one of them. I hope he isn't boating recklessly deliberately, but it sounds like he has endangered the safety of a few boaters.

So, if you are out on the lake and see the Margaret Ann coming towards you, take evasive actions, quickly, and if you can't, close your eyes, say a prayer, and for your sake, I hope you had the foresight to bring a change of underwear.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #19
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Just for your info.....it is illegal to tow a tube in a channel. I've seen the MP stop people for it.
Also have a "bonehead" story.........Skier in the water waiting for power. Along comes a rental pontoon boat with 6-8 Asian men, all in long sleeved white shirts and long black slacks. All standing and all with a drink in hand. The captain was weaving deliberately, just fooling around and all were laughing and having a good time. Only problem was, they were heading right for my skier.......fortunately, I had time to quickly circle to protect her and they passed within 30' at about 20mph which was about WOT for a 50HP. Still shaking my head over that one even though it was several years ago. Don't know if they were a religious group, conventioners or what. Makes me wary of rental boats.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
Woodsy

Samiam...

Can you point to a specific RSA that indicates towing a tube through a channel (with a person on it) or some similar device is illegal? I looked and could not find anything. I would guess that the MP stop you witnessed was to :advise: the boat operator that towing a tube through a channel was'nt exactly "wise".

I too have seen the family bonehead out for a tube with the little ones with absolutely no regard for the safety of the child(ren) or other boaters...

Bonehead #1 - Tows child on tube through Weirs Channel (Inbound to Paugus Bay) 4th of July weekend 3 years ago... fast current and LOTS of boats!

Bonehead #2 - Tows 2 kids on Banana Boat (very easy to fall off) through the slot between Eagle Is & Governors Is...

Bonehead #3 - Thinks that tubing off Marker #1 in the Weirs is a good idea on a busy saturday afternoon in August!

So many small coves and bays and these morons need to risk thier kids safety to tube through busy areas!

Woodsy
Old 07-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #21
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Think you're right, Woodsy......I couldn't find anything either. As I remember, they used that stop to do a safety check, as well.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #22
VtSteve

It's good to see all is calm and quiet on the lake this year

Funny how not much has changed, including the MP's propensity to seemingly never be in the right spot at the right time.

I'm sure those that have been shadowed by the MP, or have seen their tricks first hand, are delighted to hear these stories
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #23
skprbob

Default Skip's almost right

The towing rules for people - as the RSAs read - that's RSA 270:d-3

1. Without a special permit, one may tow a maximum of two people, regardless of the number of objects. For example, two tubes, with two riders on each tube, is illegal (4 people).

2. You need an appropriate observer for each person. For example, one tube, with two riders, requires two observers.

So - it's always the number of people that count! The one I love most is the inflatable "torpedo" with six kids on it, wearing only old ski belts, and one 10 year old observer. Argh.

3. There is no rule against towing someone through a channel as long as other navigation rules are observed. For example, if you tow through the Graveyard and you are the only boat there, have at it. You're good unless you meet another boat and have to slow down to comply with the safe passage rule. The Weirs Channel is a posted "no wake" area, so you would have to tow at headway speed (if you were dumb enough to try it). If I were still an MP officer, I'd likely not worry too much about the Graveyard guy. In the crowded Weirs Channel, I could easily construe such a maneuver as creating a hazard to navigation and take enforcement action that way.

Either way though, towing anywhere but open water is one of the hallmarks of Capt Bonehead!

Last edited by skprbob; 07-23-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: adding the RSA
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #24
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprbob View Post
The towing rules for people - as the RSAs read - that's RSA 270:d-3

1. Without a special permit, one may tow a maximum of two people, regardless of the number of objects. For example, two tubes, with two riders on each tube, is illegal (4 people).

2. You need an appropriate observer for each person. For example, one tube, with two riders, requires two observers.

So - it's always the number of people that count! The one I love most is the inflatable "torpedo" with six kids on it, wearing only old ski belts, and one 10 year old observer. Argh.

3. There is no rule against towing someone through a channel as long as other navigation rules are observed. For example, if you tow through the Graveyard and you are the only boat there, have at it. You're good unless you meet another boat and have to slow down to comply with the safe passage rule. The Weirs Channel is a posted "no wake" area, so you would have to tow at headway speed (if you were dumb enough to try it). If I were still an MP officer, I'd likely not worry too much about the Graveyard guy. In the crowded Weirs Channel, I could easily construe such a maneuver as creating a hazard to navigation and take enforcement action that way.

Either way though, towing anywhere but open water is one of the hallmarks of Capt Bonehead!

I thought of this rule yesterday when I was reading my local newspaper and they had a picture of 3 kids having fun on a tube on Cobbets Pond in Windham. Those 3 kids would be in Juvenile detention if they tried that on Winni

20 years ago I used to tow a person on a tube using 1 person stand up JetSki. Didn't need a spotter, when they fell off you picked up 10MPH speed instantly
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote