Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Lucky2Bhere

Default What Sailboat should I get?

I'm looking for a used 15-16 foot sailboat to sail in Braun Bay. Any suggestions? Centerboard/Keel? Stabile in moderate wind/Responsive in light wind. Has anyone had experience with an AMF Sunbird? I'm looking for a basic easy to use but fun boat for 1-4 passengers.
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
NoBozo

If you said One Person....I would recommend a Laser....assuming you are reasonably physically fit. FAST..easy to sail..daggerboard, and easy to SELL when you decide to go bigger. It's a BIG International Racing Class.

If you are looking to sit back and relax a little bit...I recommend an old O'Day "Daysailer"...centerboard. Carry two or three other people when you feel like it....you could put a small outboard on it to get you back to the dock when the wind dies. The wind dies often enough on Winni.

You asked about Keel Vs. Centerboard. My choice for the lake would be Centerboard...hands down.

PROs: You can hit .."pass over" a rock with most centerboards and it will retract itself without damage, thereby allowing you to navigate in shallow water. Centerboard boats are faster offwind/downwind because you normally lift the CB, reducing water resistance on that point of sail. Easy trailerable.

CONs: CB boats are more "Tender" in a breeze, meaning you will have to shift your weight more often in a puff..

Keel Boats: PROs: Are more stable in a breeze...less shifting of your weight in the puff. More secure feeling.

Keel Boats: CONs: Most keel boats over about 17 feet, although trailerable, will be a PAIN in the butt to launch and retrieve because of the depth of water needed to float the boat off the cradled trailer. Sailboat masts are a lot of work to (step) "put up"..either ON the trailer OR in the water.

Beware of Keel-Centerboard boats. They are a compromise and they do Nothing Well. They are always SLOW.

Last edited by NoBozo; 06-25-2009 at 09:10 AM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Dave R

Another vote for an O'Day Daysailer. They are fun, forgiving, and reward good technique. Seem to hold their value too.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Seeker

Yet another vote for the O'Day unless you have considerable experience and it doesn't sound like it. I think you will like it and it is safe and comfortable.
Now if you are in your teens I would probably make a different recommendation.

Another option is check out the sailing club(?) near Ellacoya. No idea what they use but I believe they have a website.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Try checking out either a used C&L 14'er or 16'er, or a 1980's used Hobie Holder 14'er. C&L's are made new in Ontario and have a website with a 'for sale used' section. All three are traditional day sailers with seating for four or more, main and jib sails, and a removable centerboard. Maybe do a craigslist search for a used one in NH, ME, VT, or MA?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Kamper

I second a look at "Craigslist." The current 'boat pages' have some snailboats including a free handy-man special. Oh yeah, check out the "FREE" pages too, you never know what you'll find.

You might want to go to the library or bookstore and read up on sailing. This will help you decide what you migh feel comfortable with.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Try to find a Kestrel......I had one years ago and with the spinnaker out,you could dam near pull a skier.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote