Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Airwaves

Default Vessel Safety Checks

Who should I hail via VHF16 when I am at Lake Winnipesaukee in order to get a Vessel Safety Check. I went on line prior to Bike Week to see if anyone had one scheduled but I did not find a scheduled event.

I did try hailing Misty Blue to see if he might know someone but I wasn't able to raise him. I am up at the lake on a hit or miss basis so it's rare I can even make a telephone call to set something up.

With all due respect to the Marine Patrol Auxiliary I am looking for a more thorough Vessel Safety Check done by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary or the US Power Squadron.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Power Squadron

I haven't seen the USCG Auxilary or Power Squadron on the lake in years. I usually get my sticker from them whenever I arrive at the Weirs public docks. In the last few years it was only the NH Dept of Safety. They only give a minumum check. Gives you a small sticker to put on your boat. This stcker means nothing as MP will still pull you over for a safety check.

I didn't have that problem with the USCG sticker, but that was years ago.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
NightWing

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
This stcker means nothing as MP will still pull you over for a safety check.
The Marine Patrol will not pull you over for a safety check, but every boat they pull over will get a safety check.

If people would just listen to the officer when he/she begins the dialogue, they would hear the reason for the stop. Then, after that is addressed, a safety check will follow.

No safety inspection sticker, regardless if issued by MP or the CGA, will prevent a future inspection. All that sticker proves is, at the time of the inspection, all the safety requirements were met. The next time out, the owner could leave the PFDs or the fire extinguisher in the garage.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
Airwaves

I never hinted that a Vessel Safety Check sticker will prevent a boarding, or being stopped if you'd like, by the Marine Patrol and no one that ever conducted one will say that either.

IF it's a busy weekend, and that's not likely this summer, a patrol boat will more likely target a vessel without a VSC than one with it for a routine boarding.

If you are boarded or stopped by MP then you can expect to be subjected to a safety check.

As Broadhopper points out the NH Dept of Safety will only do a minimum check. I am looking for a more thorough check, another pair of trained eyes to make sure that everything from PFDs to the fuel system is ship shape and I know that the USPS and CGAux will conduct the more indepth safety check.

I did see on the Lakes Region USPS web site that they are conduction some this summer but I didn't see any available while I was at the lake that's why I am wondering if there is someone I can just hail in order to get one done?

BTW, CGA is the Coast Guard Academy.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Paugus Bay Resident

Here's a link to the schedule for the Power Squadron. Town docks VSCs are scheduled for this weekend.

http://www.lrsps.org/VSCschedule.htm

If you go here http://safetyseal.net/GetVSC/ you can contact individual VEs to schedule something that works for you.

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 06-22-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
NightWing

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
I never hinted that a Vessel Safety Check sticker will prevent a boarding, or being stopped if you'd like, by the Marine Patrol and no one that ever conducted one will say that either.

IF it's a busy weekend, and that's not likely this summer, a patrol boat will more likely target a vessel without a VSC than one with it for a routine boarding.

If you are boarded or stopped by MP then you can expect to be subjected to a safety check.

As Broadhopper points out the NH Dept of Safety will only do a minimum check. I am looking for a more thorough check, another pair of trained eyes to make sure that everything from PFDs to the fuel system is ship shape and I know that the USPS and CGAux will conduct the more indepth safety check.

I did see on the Lakes Region USPS web site that they are conduction some this summer but I didn't see any available while I was at the lake that's why I am wondering if there is someone I can just hail in order to get one done?

BTW, CGA is the Coast Guard Academy.
Again, the presence or absence of a VSC sticker does not affect a stop one way or the other. Call 293-2037 and ask the question.

If you will overlook my error in referring to the Coast Guard Auxiliary as the CGA, I will overlook your reference to "boarding."
Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
kchace

I'm a USCG AUX Vessel Examiner and would be happy to try and meet up with folks when I'm up at the lake. At other times, I am willing to make 'house calls' for folks who live near me "down south" (I live in Brookline NH).

I am hoping to be up the lake one day this weekend (weather permitting). Please feel free to call me on VHF 16 (Lucky C) and if I'm there I would be happy to try and meet you someplace. Otherwise, for those who have their boat near Brookline, pm me for a possible weeknight examination.

Ken

Last edited by kchace; 06-23-2009 at 12:19 PM.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
jrc

How many of you carry flares on the lake?

Last time I had a vessel safety check the examiner asked about visual signaling device. I had no flares or anything similar, he suggested using a towel on a pole and waving it. Then he put my sticker on the boat.

Also if you get an inspection from UPS or CG Aux, they will look different things than an MP. They seem to be much more thorough especially looking for legal but undesirable safety issues. The MP seems to be more about just checking compliance with the NH laws.

Speaking of NH laws remember your bell. NH requires a bell on shorter boats than the CG does.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
kchace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
How many of you carry flares on the lake?

Last time I had a vessel safety check the examiner asked about visual signaling device. I had no flares or anything similar, he suggested using a towel on a pole and waving it. Then he put my sticker on the boat.

Also if you get an inspection from UPS or CG Aux, they will look different things than an MP. They seem to be much more thorough especially looking for legal but undesirable safety issues. The MP seems to be more about just checking compliance with the NH laws.

Speaking of NH laws remember your bell. NH requires a bell on shorter boats than the CG does.
Right. NH requires a bell on boats 26 feet and longer. USCG requires a bell on boats over 39.4 feet.

Since I boat on state and federal waters, I carry an assortment of flares. While not required on NH state waters, I think its a good idea for all. They may not be cheap, but in a true emergency, you'd give anything to have them.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Kamper

Quote:
Who should I hail via VHF16 when I am at Lake Winnipesaukee in order to get a Vessel Safety Check. ...
I don't believe this is the proper channel to obtain this service (pun not intended). Various groups do offer VSC and anounce it in the papers and forums like this but if you don't want to wait I think you should just call NHMP and ask if you can bring your boat in for a safety check.

If you have any serious doubts about your boat I would suggest trailerring it to the inspection so you don't get cited for in-adequacies after pulling away from the dock. NHMP officers sometimes circulate at public docks and offer safety checks there. A few people have claimed these officers call in deficiencies to patrol boats off-shore and the affected skippers then get cited. I have no idea if this really happens. I would just avoid the risk.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
A few people have claimed these officers call in deficiencies to patrol boats off-shore and the affected skippers then get cited.
If you are anchored, moored or docked, by law, I don't think they can ticket you. They can give you a warning. It is when you leave the dock that they can cite you if you are by motor, paddling or sailing.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
Misty Blue

Default Have boat, Will travel.

KCHACE:

I'm a VE also. I need a VSC to fly the blue ensign this year. (Not a facility)

I'm in Braun bay and will travel to get the inspection.
If you want to we can make an afternoon of it and do some of the town docks this summer. cell 455 7178.

Airwaves just say the word and I'll be there.

As airwaves said, the USCG Aux or the USPS inspections are much more involved than the NHMP. The MP does not check things like fuel systems or bilge blowers, etc. Whats more, any problems will be found by a "civilian" and any problems found are just between you and the inspector. No badge, no hassles.

As a side note: I was once doing VEs at a town dock and a NHMP officer tied up next to me. The officer ordered me to stop giving the safety checks and to remove my uniform or leave the docks. 'Scared the bejezes out of the people who I had just checked. After weeks of letters to headquarters I was "given permission" to continue doing the checks. No apology from Glendale.

Things are better now.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
.... (if/when) ...
You missed it.

The legend is the 'shore party' tips off the floaters. Once you are underway the trap is sprung. I don't know if it's true. I don't care, really.

I don't consent to voluntary searches or "inspections" in the field. That's just my choice.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
4Fun

Just a experience when I was inspected a few years ago....

We were in line to launch in Newburyport Ma when the Coast Guard came over and asked if we would let them do a safety check. They followed that sentence with "We will NOT ticket you if you have an issue" "We just want to inform you of the rules" We let them do the check and all was well. They were quite helpful and moved on to the next boat.

I have a hard time believing the NHMP would do a check then wait until you left the dock to ticket you. That's about as low as it gets. If they have a problem with a safety issue I would think they would say "If you leave we will have to ticket you" Or more likely just say get it taken care of asap.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Just a experience when I was inspected a few years ago....

We were in line to launch in Newburyport Ma when the Coast Guard came over and asked if we would let them do a safety check. They followed that sentence with "We will NOT ticket you if you have an issue" "We just want to inform you of the rules" We let them do the check and all was well. They were quite helpful and moved on to the next boat.

I have a hard time believing the NHMP would do a check then wait until you left the dock to ticket you. That's about as low as it gets. If they have a problem with a safety issue I would think they would say "If you leave we will have to ticket you" Or more likely just say get it taken care of asap.
I have been inspected many times by USCG Aux. and always had been told that it was for my information only. That is the way it should be when you volunteer to be checked and want to be checked to verify compliance.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #16
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamper
I don't believe this is the proper channel to obtain this service (pun not intended). Various groups do offer VSC and anounce it in the papers and forums like this but if you don't want to wait I think you should just call NHMP and ask if you can bring your boat in for a safety check.
Actually I believe this forum is exactly the proper place to ask this question, I know there are USCGAux and USPS members that post here and the VSC that those organizations perform is exactly what I am looking for.

Quote:
If you have any serious doubts about your boat I would suggest trailerring it to the inspection so you don't get cited for in-adequacies after pulling away from the dock. NHMP officers sometimes circulate at public docks and offer safety checks there.
I do not have any serious doubts about the safety of my boat. I DO want another pair of trained eyes looking at systems in my boat that, if they fail, would create serious problems. I have seen how the NHMP Auxiliary performs their inspections and I am looking for something more detailed. I know how to count life jackets.

Quote:
A few people have claimed these officers call in deficiencies to patrol boats off-shore and the affected skippers then get cited. I have no idea if this really happens. I would just avoid the risk.
As a person who at one time was qualified to do these types of checks I can tell you that USCGAux regulations at the time required us to stop doing the checks if a law enforcement agent showed up. That's because the entire nature of these checks is to inform the boater of any problem and not to penalize them for it. This is an important trust between the USPS/USCGAux and the public.

Quote:
Hope this helps. Good luck!
I hope what I wrote helps.

This forum is exactly the place to find out where you can have this kind of check and it is the type of check that I want. I want someone else sticking his or her head into my engine and giving me another assessment of fuel lines etc etc that is confidential.

I am more interested in getting an independant (of me and my marina) assessment of the key safety components of my boat than I am of getting a VSC decal!

I will be back up at the lake in mid-Aug and I will check the web first but if there are no scheduled VSCs then I will hail Ken or Misty Blue Thanks Out

Last edited by Airwaves; 06-25-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 AM   #17
Kamper

Airwaves, you're just talking around my post. "Channel" specifically referred to using VHF to try to schedule an inspection.

I am only referring to the NHMP as (possibly) doing the inspection trap. USPS has no police powers and USCGA normally doesn't either. Their programs are well known for being educational - not enforcement activities.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #18
Airwaves

I am at a loss to understand why you would think using VHF Ch 16 to hail someone would be inappropriate? It goes without saying that when contact is established you switch to a working frequency to have the conversation.

Not getting why you would think otherwise.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
Kamper

Quote:
I am at a loss to understand why you would think using VHF Ch 16 to hail someone would be inappropriate? ...

Not getting why you would think otherwise.
I never said you shouldn't hail somebody on it. I did say VHF is not the best way to setup an apointment. E-mail or phone would be the appropriate form of communication.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:09 AM   #20
No-Mo-Shun

Default Vessel Safety Check

Go to safetyseal.net. That is a national web page that will direct you to a USCG Auxiliary or US Power Squadron vessel examiner. The examiner should be within 10 or 15 miles of your location. Good luck

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #21
Airwaves

If you say so...BTW give me a call.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #22
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Re: VSCs-the checklist

The attached pdf will get you started; It may be slightly out of date but if so not by much; Familiarize yourself first with the regs by using it each spring to stay in compliance before calling for an inspection or heading out-go down the list and understand what every line item means and take care of it where deficient. Works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf VSC.pdf (50.6 KB, 324 views)
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote