Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
jkjoshuatree

Default Boating Test For NH Waters?

Does my daughter have to take the test in NH for a NH boating license?

Is there anywhere in Mass that does it?

If not, does anyone know the closest place to Boston? Nashua maybe?

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
NightWing

Talking

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s...ged/index.html
Old 05-30-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
Sunrise Point

My husband and son took a safe boating course through our local adult ed in Massachusetts. It was taught by members of the Great Blue Hill Power Squadron. The card from that course is valid in NH. You can check them out here: http://www.usps.org/localusps/gbh/basic_boating.htm

Good luck!
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
bfitzsmith

Default Which Great Blue Hill course?

Hi Sunrise Point,

Which course did your child take that qualified them for the NH boating cert?

:-)
bfitzsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Misty Blue

Default Many classes near Boston

Go on line and look up USCG auxiliary. They will have a schedule for classes near you.

You can do the same with US Power Squadrons, same deal.

The Massachusetts environmental police also do a good job. Their boating head is an old pal.

Question: How old is your daughter and how big is your boat.

If your boat is greater than 25 HP or a jet ski she needs the license. If we are talking about a 15HP skiff she is OK.

Good luck!

Misty Blue

PS. NHMP has a website and if you don't mind spending a "Lake day" taking the course they do a good job too! They do a regular schedule in Glendale and go on the road a lot as well.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point View Post
My husband and son took a safe boating course through our local adult ed in Massachusetts. It was taught by members of the Great Blue Hill Power Squadron. The card from that course is valid in NH. You can check them out here: http://www.usps.org/localusps/gbh/basic_boating.htm

Good luck!
The USPS course offered here is accepted by NH however the other courses offered by this link, i.e. Boat Smart, America's Boating Course, are not. And yes, the Mass Environmental Police course is accepted by NH.

16 and older are required to have a certificate if operating over 25 hp in NH.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
ApS

Smile Unique NH Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
Does my daughter have to take the test in NH for a NH boating license? Is there anywhere in Mass that does it?
The first part of your question brings to mind at least one rule unique to New Hampshire boaters to which forum member bfitzsmith has previously alluded.

Massachusetts certification course instructors can't be expected to expose even some of those unique rules to students who will be boating on NH's Lake Winnipesaukee: It's a very good question because NH has several unique rules that affect boaters every day.

Among those rules unique to NH is "Unsafe Passage"—commonly referred to as "the 150' rule". This forum seems to be in general agreement that—next to exhaust noise—it is NH's most-widespread, most-violated rule.

Simplified, this rule means that once your boat has exceeded "no-wake" speeds, you must distance your boat 150-feet from swimmers, swimming floats, shore, islands, your fellow boaters, rafts, rafters, docks that extend into the lake, anchored boats, moored boats, paddled boats, rowboats, sailboats and especially Marine Patrol boats. Two lengths of water-ski tow line is nearly 150', or think of 10 canoes, end to end.

At about an acre in size, think of it primarily as "The Invisible Fence of Responsibility" that surrounds your boat 360°—at speed. As you move this "one acre of responsibility" across the water, it is the power of one's boat that can affect other boaters to a greater or lesser degree. (So even another of NH's unique rules—the 25-HP threshhold—can be of concern).

More than any other rule, it contributes to the "Cap'n B" comments seen here at this forum.

"Unsafe Passage" should be stressed to all who carry non-NH certificates.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
VtSteve

These are the rules for lakes of size over here in Vermont.

Within 200 feet of shore, dock, swim area, person in water and other vessels or anchorage, speed must be less than 5 miles per hour and must not create a wake.

Motorized Vessels:

All engines must be muffled in order to reduce operating noise level to not more than 82 decibels on the A scale at 50 feet.

Navigation Rules:

United States Coast Guard inland navigation rules are adopted for Lake Champlain, Lake Memphremagog and Wallace Pond in Canaan.

Snorkeling & Diving:

Motorized vessels must maintain a distance of at least 200 feet of a diver down flag. The diver down flag (red with white diagonal stripe) is required.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
eillac@dow

Default In the same boat

[QUOTE=jkjoshuatree;95899]Does my daughter have to take the test in NH for a NH boating license?

First of all.....I hope I did the quote thing right! First time!

Jkjoshustree...I am in the "same boat". My daughter will be 16 in July (live close by in Weymouth...by the way) and she needs her boating certificate. Shame on me, but I hate to spend a "lake day" at school. Weekends...especially...nice ones are so hard to come by...lately.

My family has been very good about "no driving the jetski before you are certified" and here I am in this situation.

I have to figure this one out......what to do...where to go and at what age can you take it, as I have a son who is 13.

Best wishes!
eillac@dow
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
KPW

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s...ged/index.html

Hope this works.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote