Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Piston

Default Timber frame home builder/GC recommendations please?

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some recommendations that I'm hoping some of you could help me with.

My wife and I (and our brand new baby boy ) will be moving to Alton in the next couple of years (hopefully sooner.)

We want to build a timber framed home and are looking for any recommendations for contractors. Most importantly, we are looking for a qualified and experienced general contractor that has experience in timber frame building.

If any of you have had a timber frame home built, or know someone who has, we would really appreciate any info (good OR bad) that you could help us with.

Timber frame home building is much different than standard stick built construction, and it is not nearly as common, so it's harder to find experienced contractors. I believe we've found the framer that we will be using but I'm also interested in hearing any feedback on timber framers as well.

Thanks guys!
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Long Pine

Since you know you want a timber frame, you have probably already spoken to these companies, but if not, I would put Bensonwood, Timberpeg and Davis Frame on your list of folks to meet. All are reputable and all are based in NH. Lakes Region general contractors that one or more of these timber frame companies say they have worked with include: Cargill, Cormack, Blue Water, Dave Wakefield, Ridgeview Construction and probably others I can't remember. Bensonwood may also GC homes in the area. Your other dilemma will then be who should design your home - the timber frame company's architects/designers, the general contractor's designers, or an independent architect. That will depend on your situation and who you are most comfortable with, but it sounds like you are on the right track in looking for folks that have worked on timber frames before since there are some unique design and construction issues with them as you know. Good luck with the process - timber frames are gorgeous - I'm sure you are getting excited about it.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Long Pine For This Useful Post:
Piston (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
"...Timber frame home building is much different than standard stick built construction, and it is not nearly as common..."
Unfamiliar with the term, I looked it up:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ldings/4213580
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
CL 240 LS

http://www.haywardandcompany.com/

These contrctors are finishing a nice new home down the street from us.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Call Winnipesaukee Lumber in Wolfeboro and they will give you names. 569-1381.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
NHWakesurfer

I would strongly recommend Rustic Carpentry. They do amazing work with timber and log homes.

www.nhadirondackhomes.com
ask for Ed 603 842-0242

Good luck with the build its a fun process when you get to build one of these rustic homes.
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Unfamiliar with the term, I looked it up:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ldings/4213580
Anyone who isn't familiar with the term "Timber Frame" must live a pretty isolated life. Even my 10 year old grandson talks about it and wants to build one. I promised him that we could build a scaled model of one and then when he gets bigger (if he is still interested) we can build one together.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Gee, didn't know I was isolated...

...and I have a home down the road from me that has been there since the early 80's. We simply called it "the house with no nails", but also looked at it as being a post and beam construction home.

Now I am feeling bad in my dotage!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
...and I have a home down the road from me that has been there since the early 80's. We simply called it "the house with no nails", but also looked at it as being a post and beam construction home.

Now I am feeling bad in my dotage!
Good one!!!

However there is a difference.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
codeman671

I would suggest Blue Water. They are actually starting to build their own timber frames (manufacturing their own kits to order), but have also assembled Davis Frame kits.

I have spent a fair amount of time researching timber frames, and was very happy with the products produced by Woodhouse. The east coast rep is Glen Trudell (upstate NY), his number is 607-387-7761. Tell him Jason sent you. He has builders in the area.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
RLW

It wouldn't hurt for you to check out this site and he is in Alton. I have had him do work for me and have seen many of his different job sites. Excellent work and contractor.This is his site here in Alton.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Pine View Post
Since you know you want a timber frame, you have probably already spoken to these companies, but if not, I would put Bensonwood, Timberpeg and Davis Frame on your list of folks to meet. All are reputable and all are based in NH. Lakes Region general contractors that one or more of these timber frame companies say they have worked with include: Cargill, Cormack, Blue Water, Dave Wakefield, Ridgeview Construction and probably others I can't remember.
Thanks for the many suggestions! I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many replies in such a short amount of time! I have been looking for recommendations for a while and have found more in this one thread than I have so far elsewhere. I guess I should have started here

I have met with Davis Frame and was actually very impressed. I really liked the visit with them and seeing their facility. The one thing I am not crazy about with these larger companies, is that they use CNC machinery to cut their joinery. I am fairly "traditional" in my view of timber frames and really like the more hands on approach. Of course, even the smaller companies use mortising machines and other power tools, so I'm not totally against it, I'm just having a hard time accepting the CNC frames
I have taken a couple of classes on timber frame building and am very familiar with the process, which I think is really helpful in finding what I want.

Your are right, I'm getting very excited about it! Thank you very much for your reply, it's most certainly very helpful and gives me a good place to start.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 240 LS View Post
http://www.haywardandcompany.com/

These contrctors are finishing a nice new home down the street from us.
What town is this in?

Quote:
Call Winnipesaukee Lumber in Wolfeboro and they will give you names. 569-1381.
Thank you, that is a good suggestion.

Quote:
I would strongly recommend Rustic Carpentry. They do amazing work with timber and log homes.

www.nhadirondackhomes.com
ask for Ed 603 842-0242

Good luck with the build its a fun process when you get to build one of these rustic homes.
NHwakesurfer,
Have they done work for you? Thanks for the suggestion, I will look up their website.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I would suggest Blue Water. They are actually starting to build their own timber frames (manufacturing their own kits to order), but have also assembled Davis Frame kits.

I have spent a fair amount of time researching timber frames, and was very happy with the products produced by Woodhouse. The east coast rep is Glen Trudell (upstate NY), his number is 607-387-7761. Tell him Jason sent you. He has builders in the area.
Thank you,
I've heard of Woodhouse as well but didn't look too much into them. I'll give them a call. I think the hardest thing about building a house so far is deciding who to have actually build it!

My wife and I have a really good idea of exactly what we want. I have a lot of the frame details worked out and she is the pro on interior design and decorating. We have the spot for the house all picked out and I'm working on clearing the land now. (albeit, at a very slow pace)
Old 11-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
It wouldn't hurt for you to check out this site and he is in Alton. I have had him do work for me and have seen many of his different job sites. Excellent work and contractor.This is his site here in Alton.
This is a great suggestion, I really like that he is local. I'd prefer to keep my money as local as possible and help out the local economy, so this could be a very promising "lead"

I've recently contacted Eastern Adirondack Homes in NY state as I really liked one of the models on their website, but their not even in NH let alone local

I also want to check into Garland Mill Timberframes, has anyone heard of them?

Thanks to everyone for your replies so far, I really appreciate how helpful your responses are.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
tis

You also want to check them out to make sure they pay their bills etc. You can get in a terrible mess when building -I have seen it often when people don't know what they are doing.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
CL 240 LS

[QUOTE=Piston;194038]What town is this in?

Look at the Moultonboro home on the website.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #18
KDL

Not local, but you might want to check out http://hardwickpostandbeam.com/about/about and http://www.hardwickframe.com/
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #19
Belmont Resident

Default Tfb

Tom Fogg Builder 603-387-1262
tfogg@metrocast.net
Tom and his brother have been building new and restoring many of the areas old timber frame homes and barns for years.
They are known for quality workmanship.
The brothers are located in Gilmanton & Belmont NH.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
Little Bear

Thumbs up Tradesmen Builders in Laconia!

Tradesmen Builders built my 7000 +/- sq. ft. log house for me about 5 years ago in Alton. They were the ultimate professionals - always ahead of schedule and always on (or slightly under) budget. I know that they also have experience with timber frame homes. Tradesman has been around for almost 30 years under the same ownership, so they have an excellent reputation and maintain a solid business. They use only the best subcontractors in the area and the finished product is top-notch. Click on the link below. The log house on the home page belongs to me. Go to the photo gallery and there is a slide show on both my log house and the timber frame house that they built most recently. PM me if you want any additional info about Tradesmen. Good luck!

http://www.tradesmenbuilders.com/

Last edited by Little Bear; 11-10-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #21
Belmont Resident

Default Piston

Keep in mind that the quality of work is dependent on the quality of the workers.
I have see many beautiful houses that could have looked so much better if not for the quality of some of the work done. Mainly finish work.
There have been a lot of good referrals and I'm sure they all do great work, but the house you are looking to build isn't a common house that is build every day, you would be wise to hire a contractor that specializes on just that type off house and not a general contractor who will hire subs, many of which know nothing about timber frame homes or their construction.
I have seen buildings, paint jobs etc that have fallen way short of what they should be due to subs that are brought in that don't hold to the same quality standards that the builder is known for.
Many big name builders have several jobs going on and will not be on site all the time to oversee quality.
Just something to keep in mind, good luck with your project.
Also keep in mind that cost to do this type of house is significantly higher then a conventional home.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #22
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Keep in mind that the quality of work is dependent on the quality of the workers.
I have see many beautiful houses that could have looked so much better if not for the quality of some of the work done. Mainly finish work.
There have been a lot of good referrals and I'm sure they all do great work, but the house you are looking to build isn't a common house that is build every day, you would be wise to hire a contractor that specializes on just that type off house and not a general contractor who will hire subs, many of which know nothing about timber frame homes or their construction.
I have seen buildings, paint jobs etc that have fallen way short of what they should be due to subs that are brought in that don't hold to the same quality standards that the builder is known for.
Many big name builders have several jobs going on and will not be on site all the time to oversee quality.
Just something to keep in mind, good luck with your project.
Also keep in mind that cost to do this type of house is significantly higher then a conventional home.

I totally agree with you, Belmont. For this type of job Piston needs someone who really knows what they are doing and has done a lot of them. He should meet with builders who specialize in timber homes and go and see some of the builder's work. I strongly advise Piston to go to a local lumberyard and get names. Otherwise don't say we didn't warn you, Piston. Truly.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Subcontractors

The quality of the work is dependent on the subcontractors as well as the workers. I made the mistake of jumping back into the building trade after 30 years absence. Most of the subcontractors in the area are not serious about doing good work. A good subcontractor are hard to come by. Most of the good subcontractors are filled with work from reliable contractors. It is important to hire a local contractor who knows the subcontractors in the area.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 11-11-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
NHWakesurfer

Piston,

You asked if the builder I recommended as done work for me. Yes they have and I'd use them again if I did any rustic builds. I know they did a really cool house on Merrymeeting Lake its on their web site.

Good luck
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHWakesurfer For This Useful Post:
Piston (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I totally agree with you, Belmont. For this type of job Piston needs someone who really knows what they are doing and has done a lot of them. He should meet with builders who specialize in timber homes and go and see some of the builder's work. I strongly advise Piston to go to a local lumberyard and get names. Otherwise don't say we didn't warn you, Piston. Truly.
Yup, I completely agree with your agreement with Belmont

As mentioned in my first post, I'm looking for recommendations for contractors that have experience in this unique style of building. Many things are a lot different in timber frame homes, especially with SIPS which almost all TF homes are being built with these days. Things like electrical (both running wires as well as outlet placement) and plumbing (especially bathroom plumbing) create some unique challenges in timber framing.

For anyone more interested in learning about it, there are some great books out there. I've read 2 of Tedd Benson's books (from Bensonwood Homes), 2 of Jack Sobon's books (I've also met Jack in person and sat through one of his slide shows), as well as one of Steve Chappels books (from Fox Maple School in Maine). I've also taken two timber frame workshops and learned a lot from them.

I believe I have my framer picked out, who is also a general contractor, however, he is not from the area and lives too far to be overseeing the job on a day to day basis, unfortunately.
If I had more time and determination, I'd cut all the joinery myself, but I just don't have that kind of determination
As it is, I will be cutting and milling all the trees for my frame, and that in itself will be a lot of work, let alone building a house

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, if there are any more recommendations then I'm all ears!

I'm also looking for recommendations on masonry work from a local mason. I have a lot of fieldstone built up on the property in 3 large piles and I'd like to use that for the central chimney.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #26
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Yup, I completely agree with your agreement with Belmont

As mentioned in my first post, I'm looking for recommendations for contractors that have experience in this unique style of building. Many things are a lot different in timber frame homes, especially with SIPS which almost all TF homes are being built with these days. Things like electrical (both running wires as well as outlet placement) and plumbing (especially bathroom plumbing) create some unique challenges in timber framing.

For anyone more interested in learning about it, there are some great books out there. I've read 2 of Tedd Benson's books (from Bensonwood Homes), 2 of Jack Sobon's books (I've also met Jack in person and sat through one of his slide shows), as well as one of Steve Chappels books (from Fox Maple School in Maine). I've also taken two timber frame workshops and learned a lot from them.

I believe I have my framer picked out, who is also a general contractor, however, he is not from the area and lives too far to be overseeing the job on a day to day basis, unfortunately.
If I had more time and determination, I'd cut all the joinery myself, but I just don't have that kind of determination
As it is, I will be cutting and milling all the trees for my frame, and that in itself will be a lot of work, let alone building a house

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, if there are any more recommendations then I'm all ears!

I'm also looking for recommendations on masonry work from a local mason. I have a lot of fieldstone built up on the property in 3 large piles and I'd like to use that for the central chimney.
Red Hill Masonary or stonework not sure which. I worked at a job last year and witnessed first hand the work this guy does. his attention to detail is unbelievable.
Not sure who your plumber is but Mike Mahoney is right there in Alton and does all my plumbing as well as that of the builder I do a lot of painting for.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #27
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The quality of the work is dependent on the subcontractors as well as the workers. I made the mistake of jumping back into the building trade after 30 years absence. Most of the subcontractors in the area are not serious about doing good work. A good subcontractor are hard to come by. Most of the good subcontractors are filled with work from reliable contractors. It is important to hire a local contractor who knows the subcontractors in the area.
I agree with tis and BroadHopper.

Having worked for builders and built on my own.
You really, really, really, have to be specific on exactly what you want.
If this is a real good general contractor you may get what you want by stating one time. Is there an architect involved or is this an off the shelf plan or just a sketch? You really have to know what you want and where you need it.
Example. Most builders will place electrical outlets at only code reqirements. Not where you want them or where your furniture is going.
Make sure you discuss low voltage wiring.
The trend is to wirless RF lighting.
Do you plan on cable or satellite. Best to wire for both.
Do you plan on security cameras? Best to think this all through.

But back to the finish work. It is the finish work that will be seen by others. Crucial to get this right.

The foundation is the most critical of any new home.
Make sure the foundation is drained properly.
There are products that can be added to prevent most water from getting in. These concrete additives - done at mixing facility - are not normally used up north.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #28
VTMike

Default Vermont Timber Framer

Since you are in the area, why not come across the river to Vermont Timber Works? We cut all our frames by hand and would love to talk to you about your project.
VTMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #29
Piston

VTmike,
Did you ever work with Dave Carlon?

I forget if he worked for Vermont Timber Works or Vermont Timberframe.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #30
upnorth

Default Tradesmen builders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Tradesmen Builders built my 7000 +/- sq. ft. log house for me about 5 years ago in Alton. They were the ultimate professionals - always ahead of schedule and always on (or slightly under) budget. I know that they also have experience with timber frame homes. Tradesman has been around for almost 30 years under the same ownership, so they have an excellent reputation and maintain a solid business. They use only the best subcontractors in the area and the finished product is top-notch. Click on the link below. The log house on the home page belongs to me. Go to the photo gallery and there is a slide show on both my log house and the timber frame house that they built most recently. PM me if you want any additional info about Tradesmen. Good luck!

http://www.tradesmenbuilders.com/

The timberframe Little Bear mentions is my home. Larry, Rich, Dana and team did a phenomenal job and I highly recommend them. Rich and I designed the house then we worked with Northwoods Joinery who custom made the frame. As part of the package, Northwoods sends a site guy and crane operator for a week to work with Tradesmen to raise the frame and install the SIPs. Tradesmen know what they are doing and are completely trustworthy. You won't regret it. Send me a PM if you want more info.
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #31
sky's

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some recommendations that I'm hoping some of you could help me with.

My wife and I (and our brand new baby boy ) will be moving to Alton in the next couple of years (hopefully sooner.)

We want to build a timber framed home and are looking for any recommendations for contractors. Most importantly, we are looking for a qualified and experienced general contractor that has experience in timber frame building.

If any of you have had a timber frame home built, or know someone who has, we would really appreciate any info (good OR bad) that you could help us with.

Timber frame home building is much different than standard stick built construction, and it is not nearly as common, so it's harder to find experienced contractors. I believe we've found the framer that we will be using but I'm also interested in hearing any feedback on timber framers as well.

Thanks guys!
hello Piston i'm not after your business however please look at the project we just completed in Moultonborough guaranteed the nicest "tree house" around!!!

http://skyscarpentry.com/springtime/...e%20House.html
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #32
RLW

Smile

VTMike, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #33
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Bensenwoods

There will be a home 'raising' on or about August 8 at 316 GWI in Tuftonboro. The foundation is in place and it is a go!
After looking at their website I will have to say I am pretty impress. I will witness how several men and a crane put up a 2000+ home in a couple of days!