Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Lake Host Program

There is another thread about launch/retrieve for trailer boats, so lets leave that issue alone.

At many ramps around the state, there is a "lake host" who will help inspect your boat and trailer as they try to reduce or eliminate the inadvertent transport of milfoil from one water body to another.

We know this is effective in its goal. Does it impede launch/retrieve significantly? How could the Lake Host program be more effective? Milfoil is a huge (and expensive) problem in some areas.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
NH LAKES ASSOCIATION (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #2
dave603

They have them at both F & G launch ramps on Winnisquam and Newfound, never slowed me down at all. Even if there was no one else in line.

They get to you before you can take off your straps. Inspect under the boat and trailer, and off you go.

I don't know what happens if they find something though, as I always power wash. And I usually have been off for at least five days, which is "supposed to kill it.

And they are very nice and polite people.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
NH LAKES ASSOCIATION (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
NH LAKES ASSOCIATION

Default Thanks from the Lake Host Program!

This coming Columbus Day weekend marks the official end of the 2014 Lake Host Program. This was a record-breaking year as our 750 Lake Hosts stationed at 100 of the most highly used boat ramps in the state conducted over 80,000 courtesy boat inspections to help boaters prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species in our waters. Lake Hosts removed 55 pieces of hitchhiking aquatic invasive species this summer – to see when and where these ‘saves’ were made, visit http://www.nhlakes.org/education/lake-host. We thank all the boaters we met for taking the time to always “Clean, Drain & Dry” their boat, trailer, and gear before and after boating to protect our lakes from the spread of aquatic invasive species – thank you!
NH LAKES ASSOCIATION is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NH LAKES ASSOCIATION For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-07-2014), Chaselady (10-07-2014), dave603 (10-07-2014), Descant (10-07-2014), Merrymeeting (10-07-2014), upthesaukee (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Five Days?

Good explanation of the process, Dave603. I've heard milfoil can"survive" up to a few weeks, trapped between the hull and the bunk when the carpet holds moisture, or in other circumstances where a little moisture is present (rain, shade).

Wow!! 80,000 inspections. Add to that the numbers from folks like you who do their own inspection and cleaning. BZ.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

I've been inspected a few times at the Gilford town ramp.Didn't take more than a minute.Happy to have somebody watching.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
dave603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Good explanation of the process, Dave603. I've heard milfoil can"survive" up to a few weeks, trapped between the hull and the bunk when the carpet holds moisture, or in other circumstances where a little moisture is present (rain, shade).

Wow!! 80,000 inspections. Add to that the numbers from folks like you who do their own inspection and cleaning. BZ.
I don't believe the five days either, seems like that stuff would just regenerate when it gets wet again. I also make sure and give the engine at least a quick flush, seems like that would be a good place for seeds to hide.

Edit: I don't have bunks, so it's easier to see if there's anything trapped in the rollers.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote