Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #1
NH_boater

Default Boat explosion and tragedy - Long Island, NY

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...272050871.html

A horrible event that happens way too often. My heart goes out to the families of all affected. Possibly all necessary safety steps were taken but this could serve as a reminder to all of us on basic safety measures.

I am pretty diligent on these steps during and after refueling but I do not always run blower before I start the boat. I often sniff test though.

Fueling steps
1. Everyone (and pets) off boat, no exceptions
2. Advise refueling personnel of approximate fueling volume (avoid spills)
3. All electric and electronics off
4. Fuel
5. Run blower for 4 minutes after refueling, usually while paying & tipping
6. Sniff test. Open engine compartment, kneel and sniff for fumes
7. Resume fun

Some experts say no blower while refueling, some say keep it on as restarting blower is bigger risk. I leave it on.

I personally think the two most important steps are (1) remove passengers, and (6) Sniff test for leaks.

Boat safely and I hope this helps.

Edit: USCG says 'blowers off' as having the blower on during refueling could pull atmospheric fuel fumes from outside boat into the engine compartment. Guess I will go blower off from now on during fueling.

Last edited by NH_boater; 08-21-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Changed steps based onj new protocol
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
HellRaZoR004

That really stinks. And it happens a number of times each year.

I find the USCG comment interesting as the atmospheric fumes are going to be there regardless, they'll dissipate after refueling, but not instantly. Waiting with the blower on after refueling would vacate any atmospheric fumes.

I think the big thing from your post is the sniff test.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
Dave R

I've posted this a few times before and only do so again as a public service.

Instead of running the blower for a fixed amount of time and/or opening the engine hatch and taking a sniff, just turn the blower on and put your nose in the air stream at the blower output. You can immediately tell if there's gas in the bilge with very little effort. You also get to know the normal smell of the engine compartment and can often identify upcoming maintenance issues early by the unusual odors they can produce.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Rich

Thanks for posting this. Reminders of the dangers of gasoline are always good!

When I was a teenager on my Dad's boat, he was always terrified of gasoloine and was dilligent to check, check and re-check. This was in the days before fume detectors.

I believe we tend to get lax, as we don't hear about these issues often. Luckily, boating is fairly safe, if we follow safety procedures.

Later my Dad switched to a diesel powered boat, I remember he was much more relaxed in those days.

I always run my blowers before starting.

I will admint that I tend to keep my blowers on during fueling. I suppose I should re-think this.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
caloway

Default blower off

At the fuel dock last week, I was told blower off. I've historically left it on, but won't going forward.
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
jrc

A very sad day for a boating family, I hope the injured recover. I'm not sure I should, but I do feel relieved that this was Long Island in New York instead of our Long Island. Less chance that I know someone involved.

I suggest that NH_Boater update his list, no reputable safety group recommends operating your blowers while refueling.

We can always use a reminder about the inherent dangers in operating a gasoline boat. We are also lucky that more safety features are added to reduce this risk, so newer boats are so much safer. New boats must have bilge blowers, should have fuel injection and should have fume detectors. These really go a long way to reduce the danger, but obviously your nose is the most important tool.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Bilge blowers

After taking the boating safety courses http://www.uscgboating.org/recreatio...ty-courses.php

Here is my take.

Always run blowers 5 minutes before cold starting engine(s). Sniff test the exhaust. If the gas presence is heavy visually check the engine compartment.

Blowers should be off during refueling. After the gas hose is put away, run the blowers before starting engine(s).

Cost Guard approved bilge blowers should not spark on initial start up to cause an explosion. Marine grade starters are suppose to be spark resistant although I heard otherwise from mechanics.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
jrc

Marine grade starter have a screen over the vents. The brushes in the starter still spark, they really have to on a simple DC motor. But the screen keep the spark from igniting bilge fumes.

The problem happens when someone wants to save money and use an automotive starter in their boat. Most boats have GM Chevy blocks so an automotive starter can usually be made to fit. But now you have one less safety feature.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
Merrymeeting

One argument for sniffing vents versus checking engine compartment...my boat's engine compartment has a hydraulic lift, operated by an electric motor. I suspect that if there was a fumes issue, this could cause the spark that I wouldn't want.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
sum-r breeze

Default Important Lesson Here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Marine grade starter have a screen over the vents. The brushes in the starter still spark, they really have to on a simple DC motor. But the screen keep the spark from igniting bilge fumes.

The problem happens when someone wants to save money and use an automotive starter in their boat. Most boats have GM Chevy blocks so an automotive starter can usually be made to fit. But now you have one less safety feature.
NEVER substitute ANY automotive engine part in place of a marine part. They are more expensive for a very good reason. They are engineered to keep explosive sparks contained and are usually treated for moisture resistance in a wet bilge area. Any AC motor (like an air conditioner cooling pump) or DC motor (like a hydraulic lift for the hatch) is required to have this spark protection built in, or it would be prohibited from being installed in the engine compartment by the manufacturer. NEVER SUBSTITUTE!! It could cost you your life!!!

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
chasedawg

Default Bilge Blowers

It has been mentioned by several others. DO NOT run bilge blowers while fueling. All electrical devices must be turned off all hatches and ports must be closed. Do not allow fumes to enter the boat or bilge.

Think about it. If you are running your bilge blower it is drawing air and fumes from above and around the boat and especially where it is being fueled. The fumes are now entering your bilge. Any fumes will ignite. A thimble of fumes is enough to blow up a boat.

Several years ago the Marriott's had a terrible explosion in their boat house. While fueling one of their woodie's the fumes ran along the outside of the coaming and down into the cockpit. And that was all it took.

I saw a gentlemen fueling his beautiful 1937 HackerCraft woodie last week at Pier 19. He had his engine compartment hatches wide open. I went over to him and asked "gently" and "carefully" of he always fueled his boat with the engine covers wide open. He said Yes! Why? I tried to explain to him about the dangers of gas being heavier than air and would settle in his bilge with the hatches open. He huffed and chuckled and said I always do it that way. He walked away and jumped into his boat, closed the hatches and started the engine. No blower...Not even a sniff test! That person was causing a very dangerous situation and could have caused injury to anyone especially the young teen who had no idea of the danger that was present.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
Bandrews7 (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #12
Bear Islander

It would have been nice is you had mentioned that it was Long Island NY not Moltonboro.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
NH_boater

You are right. I cut and paste the title from another source and did not even think of our long island, only the long island. Sorry if this caused any confusion or concern.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #14
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
It would have been nice is you had mentioned that it was Long Island NY not Moltonboro.
The link indicated NY without opening it.

Great safety discussion!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #15
znh

We refuel at multiple locations, but mostly at Fay's. We often ask if they want the people and kids off the boat and the girls always say it's not necessary. We have never had a single gas attendant at any location tell us to have the people get off the boat. I know it is our responsibility as the 'captain' and boat owner but I find it odd that at every gas place they are very lackadaisical about people being on the boat or not...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #16
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post
We refuel at multiple locations, but mostly at Fay's. We often ask if they want the people and kids off the boat and the girls always say it's not necessary. We have never had a single gas attendant at any location tell us to have the people get off the boat. I know it is our responsibility as the 'captain' and boat owner but I find it odd that at every gas place they are very lackadaisical about people being on the boat or not...
There very rarely is a problem with the refueling. The same explosion probably would have occurred because it is usually while starting the engines that ignited the fumes. Your passengers would all probably be back on board. You could however have your passengers get off while restarting and then reboard.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
jrc

I think the workers at gas docks are just trying not to upset their customers. If they demand that all the passengers disembark, some customers will be upset. That could mean a smaller tip or a complaint to their boss.

These accidents are rare especially on a well maintained boat. It's very unlikely these workers ever observed a boat fire. I can count on one hand the number of times I heard one reported at the lake.

Ultimately you are responsible for your own safety.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Alright this has been a very well balanced talk about safety... And certainly all these steps are good guidelines.

However most times when these explosions happen, there is very little evidence of what really caused the explosion. In that light lets look at some things discussed here.

People disembarking the boat: Last I knew a person could not create a spark involuntarily. People can however move around the boat, causing an attitude shift in the boat potentially contributing to a spill... That is really what that specific portion of the guidelines are about. This problem is particularly an issue on smaller vessels.

Now as mentioned here, certain marine parts should not be substituted with car parts. This extends to all electrical components. For the simple issue of creating a spark.

Now separate out those two issues, the guidelines for fueling a boat are really no different then when fueling your car. With the exception of having to run the blower for a few minutes.

I think in the end most times these explosions are brought on by poor maintenance procedures. Not running your blower is a maintenance procedure prior to starting your boat. Not opening the engine compartment and checking for issues is a maintenance issue. You should be checking oil and other fluids, as well is looking for leaks and any potential issues. Installing car parts instead of marine grade parts is a maintenance issue.... I could go on but I will not.

The Bottom line is Maintain your vessel properly and the risk of an explosion is very small.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #19
jrc

Good summary.

I think disembarking passengers is more about less people to get hurt should a fire or explosion happen.

Another important safety feature is a marine carburetor, again don't replace a marine carb with an auto carb, the fuel bowl vents can put vapors in the bilge. Better yet fuel injection is much safer and available in a lot of new boats.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #20
dave603

Good except, your forgetting weather conditions.
Sometimes, even around here it can be extremely dry. Many boats have carpet installed, increasing the risk of a static discharge. ( yes even lots of boat carpet can cause it combined with what you happen to be wearing )
I mentioned this in a past threat, when someone questioned me about why I was running my blower before launch.
Always get off the boat when refueling, and always sniff test, then run the blower before you start. (my old navy chief used to say at least ten minutes)
One other thing to watch, even though I always do, is watch the refueler to make sure there are no spills into or onto the boat. Any static and you can start a fire.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote