Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Found another cat....#6 now.

So I found another cat in Wolfeboro. If anyone is missing a grey and white cat in the Brewster academy to maybe the Auto body shop on South Main street area send me a PM.
I don't have any great pictures yet as the cat will not let me anywhere near it. It is our basement under a barn. I gave it some fresh water and some friskies and it ate all of it.
I don;t want to catch it in a trap and pull it out in case it has kittens under there maybe. It running back to the same spot in a crawl space, which is very dirty. Not a healthy area. I got two shelter cats a while back and just can't take another cat.
This is the only photo I could get and it was dark under the barn.
I left the picture big so you can see it has a definite chin marking that might be recognizable.

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Lakesrider

Caught the cat in a have a heart trap today. Called to Ossipee humane society and asked if anyone called in a lost cat. As soon as I told her it had a half gray an half white chin she said she thinks someone called that one in. So the cat is at the Ossipee shelter now waiting...... If it is yours, it got a little bloody in the paws trying to get out of the trap. Split a few nails. It did get water and food though.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
donnamatrix

Default Thank you!

Thank you so much for your efforts with this cat, and the 5 previous cats. A couple years ago, a family renting right up the road from us moved-they took their dog, left the cat - just left it. It took us a couple weeks to trap it in a Hav-a-Heart. Poor little thing. A friend who worked with NH Humane in Laconia came and brought cat to NHH (we have 2 cats already)-and she went to a good home. We called her Easter-because we finally captured her on Easter! It's heartbreaking what some folks do to animals. Thanks for your compassion and hard work.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I second that, DM It's heartbreaking to see an abandoned cat trying to survive outside after living in someones home.Good to see that there are still some people out there that care enough to do something.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Lakesrider

Cats owner has been found......Cats name is Rizzo.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Cal (03-10-2012), Diana (03-09-2012), Greene's Basin Girl (04-29-2012), KPW (03-08-2012), Lakepilot (03-09-2012), NickNH (03-09-2012), Silver Duck (03-10-2012), winnisummergal (03-11-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Nice work LR, I thought we were going to have start calling you a catman!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
donnamatrix

Default Cat's Meow

We should call LR "The Cat's Meow"
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Lakesrider

Yes I guess I am lucky with reuniting owners to their lost animals. Don't know why.
On another note I brought one of my own cats to the Vet today. Seems he might be having kidney problems....Waiting for the tests to come back.
He drinks an abnormal amount of water, and has bad breath. Not from his teeth as they look pretty good. This cat is 52 years old in human years. Weird. 52 yo. Just like me.....
Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Yes I guess I am lucky with reuniting owners to their lost animals. Don't know why.
On another note I brought one of my own cats to the Vet today. Seems he might be having kidney problems....Waiting for the tests to come back.
He drinks an abnormal amount of water, and has bad breath. Not from his teeth as they look pretty good. This cat is 52 years old in human years. Weird. 52 yo. Just like me.....
Best of luck- they really get into your heart.

We have three formerly feral cats and a rescue Shepherd. The newest cat is a 9 month old female whose best friend is the 140 lb dog
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
spiderpig

Default Abandoned cats in Belmont

In my neighborhood (mobile home park in Belmont) abandoned cats have been a problem for years. Sadly it happens too often that cruel pet owners abandon their cats and they choose a residential area in hopes that it will find a new home. In my opinion, it is simply unacceptable to put an animal that was raised as a pet out into the wild or on the street to fend for itself. It also forces folks in the neighborhood to make a choice: deal with the problem or turn a blind eye to the problem.

Before I get too far down the "what's wrong with people?!?" road... Here's my story: A few weeks ago neighbors and my family began noticing a strange cat hanging around (beautiful multicolored cat). There was evidence that someone had abandoned a cat. Some said it looked pregnant. My wife and daughter tried putting food out in an attempt to find the cat, get close enough to catch it and find a home for her before she delivered her litter. We have spoken with some of our neighbors to see it was someone's pet but it seems likely that we are dealing with another abandoned cat.

In recent days, we've seen her more often and she she appears frightened and yes, very pregnant. A few times we tried to approach her but she runs away. We placed a box lined with towels near the food so she could choose to sleep in it on these chilly nights. Today I saw her, grabbed some food, headed outside and attempted to get hold of her. She was actually headed towards me but got spooked and went under my shed. My wife came out to help and she got very close too but the timid cat got spooked again.

In the process of trying to find this cat, we found another (an orange male) which immediately got us wondering: "where did this cat come from?". The orange male is super friendly and I cannot rule out that it is a neighbors pet but he sure was hungry (and thirsty)! We placed another box outside and even put some cardboard under the shed for the cats.

We managed to get a few pictures so we can show folks and ask "do you know who owns these cats?". I guess that's our next step. We will continue to provide food (and shelter) while attempting to find out for sure if we're dealing with abandoned cats. My daughter is certain that she can find homes for them if we can manage to catch them witch is good because the NH Humane Society in Laconia will not take them (though we will check with them to see if someone described these cats while searching for their pet). We already have two cats and a dog so taking them in isn't really an option.

Here are the pictures - we named the male Butternut and the female Bunny (if you saw the way she hops through the woods you'd know why).

spiderpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
corollaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
In my neighborhood (mobile home park in Belmont) abandoned cats have been a problem for years. Sadly it happens too often that cruel pet owners abandon their cats and they choose a residential area in hopes that it will find a new home. In my opinion, it is simply unacceptable to put an animal that was raised as a pet out into the wild or on the street to fend for itself. It also forces folks in the neighborhood to make a choice: deal with the problem or turn a blind eye to the problem.

Before I get too far down the "what's wrong with people?!?" road... Here's my story: A few weeks ago neighbors and my family began noticing a strange cat hanging around (beautiful multicolored cat). There was evidence that someone had abandoned a cat. Some said it looked pregnant. My wife and daughter tried putting food out in an attempt to find the cat, get close enough to catch it and find a home for her before she delivered her litter. We have spoken with some of our neighbors to see it was someone's pet but it seems likely that we are dealing with another abandoned cat.

In recent days, we've seen her more often and she she appears frightened and yes, very pregnant. A few times we tried to approach her but she runs away. We placed a box lined with towels near the food so she could choose to sleep in it on these chilly nights. Today I saw her, grabbed some food, headed outside and attempted to get hold of her. She was actually headed towards me but got spooked and went under my shed. My wife came out to help and she got very close too but the timid cat got spooked again.

In the process of trying to find this cat, we found another (an orange male) which immediately got us wondering: "where did this cat come from?". The orange male is super friendly and I cannot rule out that it is a neighbors pet but he sure was hungry (and thirsty)! We placed another box outside and even put some cardboard under the shed for the cats.

We managed to get a few pictures so we can show folks and ask "do you know who owns these cats?". I guess that's our next step. We will continue to provide food (and shelter) while attempting to find out for sure if we're dealing with abandoned cats. My daughter is certain that she can find homes for them if we can manage to catch them witch is good because the NH Humane Society in Laconia will not take them (though we will check with them to see if someone described these cats while searching for their pet). We already have two cats and a dog so taking them in isn't really an option.

Here are the pictures - we named the male Butternut and the female Bunny (if you saw the way she hops through the woods you'd know why).

The orange one looks like my cat, but my cat is home with me right now.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
hilltopper

Just curious as to why the NH Humane Society wouldn't take them?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
Jabonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
What did the Vet say? We had the same situation with a 14-year old cat too. Her kidneys were in fact failing and bad breath is a typical symptom. We were able to extend her life about 10 months through a series of medication and twice-a-day subcutaneous fluids via IV bags...the things we do for our pets! I hope your prognosis and course of treatment is not as onerous.
Jabonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #14
Lakesrider

Hi. Yeah the test all came back fine. No parasites, blood work was all normal. In other words...I have no idea why he likes to drink water so much, nor why he has smelly breath.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
spiderpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Just curious as to why the NH Humane Society wouldn't take them?
I did not contact them yet to inquire about dropping off a cat but I've been told (from several in my neighborhood) that the NH Humane Society will not take cats from Belmont. One neighbor explained that we must prove that we are effectively dealing with the problem and then they may lend a hand trying to place some of the cats up for adoption.
spiderpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #16
kauriel

If NH Humane Society will not take them other shelters likely will, including MSPCA in Methuen, MA. We recently were adopted by an abandoned cat but she did not get along with our cats so after many attempts to integrate or find her a better home we finally brought her to shelter so she could find a proper home. We brought her to MSPCA in Methuen MA earlier this year and just got word today that she has been adopted!

It may be a bit of a drive but the Methuen shelter is just off 93 at the NH border and accepts surrenders for owned animals as well as strays on Tuesday & Thursday from 12 pm - 5:00 pm and Wednesday & Friday from 11am - 3pm. No appointment is necessary and while donations are encouraged they are not required.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #17
dpg

Good job one and all helping out these animals...Already have one dog and cat so I feel for them. Now I'm getting worried though my daughter is coming home from school for the summer soon and I keep hearing my wife tell her "you better not bring that thing home." I think she bought some kind of "rodent!" Here we go again...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
KarmaGirl

I think you should call the Humane Society in Laconia. Am sure they will take the cats.
KarmaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote