Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
no-engine

Default Bike Vendors

AND a few days ago, vendor tents started sprouting up: Weirs water slide parking lot (same owners as burned saloon, Drive-in, and Colonial Theatre), Heat land across from Funspot, Funspot, the corner lot at new roundabout site, and several other sites.

Some of us do NOT look forward to the "activities" to put it mildly. The vendors take their revenue money and send it home. They do nothing for year round businesses, except those selling beer, fast food, housing, a few other related items. The restaurants loose their loyal clients for the 10+ days.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Auto Buffs

Default Bike Week

It should not matter what the vendors do with their money due to the fact that New Hampshire is a tourist driven state. With out tourist dollers this state is broke so everyone should stop complaning and embrace it if not maybe plan your vacations around the bike week and the summer and plan to be out of town
Auto Buffs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Auto Buffs For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-04-2012), Gatto Nero (06-02-2012), Jmo77011 (06-03-2012), jogator1 (06-02-2012), Marauder (06-04-2012), Reilly (06-04-2012), SteveA (06-02-2012), Winnisquamguy (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
AND a few days ago, vendor tents started sprouting up: Weirs water slide parking lot (same owners as burned saloon, Drive-in, and Colonial Theatre), Heat land across from Funspot, Funspot, the corner lot at new roundabout site, and several other sites.

Some of us do NOT look forward to the "activities" to put it mildly. The vendors take their revenue money and send it home. They do nothing for year round businesses, except those selling beer, fast food, housing, a few other related items. The restaurants loose their loyal clients for the 10+ days.
The vendors also stay at local hotels, pay vendor fees to the cities and towns they are located in, and support a tremendous amount of overtime for municipal workers. Those municipal workers (Police fire, DPW) depend on the money to help with their family budgets. I know that in some of the local towns Bike Week has been turning a profit.

Also, all of those vendors pay some of the local property owners for vendor space and the visitors pay property owners for parking. Since the 3 month summer season is so short it helps those property owners (taxpayers) to stay profitable. Without the additional income provided by Bike Week many Weirs Beach businesses could not survive.

The City of Laconia parking lot at the town beach is staffed and run by volunteers from the Weirs Action Committee during Bike Week. All of the proceeds are used for improvements to the Weirs Beach area.

An additional benefit is many of the people who come here to see what Bike Week is all about like the area and return with their families to vacation, and some even eventually buy a home in the area. This influx of visitors can only help increase the popularity of the Lakes Region.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-04-2012), bclaker (06-03-2012), BroadHopper (06-03-2012), Gatto Nero (06-02-2012), ishoot308 (06-02-2012), jogator1 (06-02-2012), Jonas Pilot (06-02-2012), kchadw (06-02-2012), Lakesrider (06-04-2012), Marauder (06-04-2012), Reilly (06-04-2012), Slickcraft (06-03-2012), SteveA (06-02-2012), Winnaholic (06-04-2012), Winnisquamguy (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
no-engine

Folks, I was not intending to omit all the positives.
My apologies. Have a great week.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to no-engine For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-04-2012), Marauder (06-04-2012), secondcurve (06-02-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Some of us do NOT look forward to the "activities" to put it mildly.
I am not piling on no-engine, but I look forward to it!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Hill Climb?

I might just be missing it, but I don't see the Gunstock Hill Climb on the official Bike Week schedule.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default moved to Canaan

I believe it was last year or last year was the last year at Gunstock, they moved it to a new location, not sure why.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Yes they did move it.

I just missed the announcement.

Weds. June 13

AMA Sanctioned Shawn Farnsworth Memorial Hill Climb at NEW LOCATION in Canaan, NH (RT 118): Hosted by the Ridgerunners Promotions - 12PM. 13K minimum purse.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Gunstock

The classic motorcycle races were held at Gunstock until about 10 years ago. They set-up a one mile paved course with one hairpin curve. We especially enjoyed the feature race, the sidecar classic. We always got a spot near that hairpin curve to watch the "monkeys" do their thing.

It's too bad that Gunstock has divested itself from Bike week, it was a perfect location.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I remember being a wide eyed kid watching the (Gyspsy Tour) riders,many in uniforms with caps like Brando wore in the "Wild One" roaring into Laconia back in the 50's.Things have changed a lot,but it's still a fun tradition.
My only complaint.....and it burns me every year,is closing the Weirs to auto traffic.
Many of my friends have classic cars and they would love to cruise,like they did in the old days.I don't think it's fair to pick and choose who can use public roads....certainly,anyone who doesn't want to be there knows enough to stay away.
Most of the bikers truely appreciate some of the street rods and custom cars that used to participate in bike week and lots of people just like to ride through the Weirs to look at all the bikes.
I also think that the police presence is a little aggressive and confrontational.
Other than that,it's a lot of fun......bring back the flashing and burnouts...yeah!
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
riverat (06-04-2012), Winnisquamguy (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
Resident 2B

Although I am not completely sure about this, I believe they are NOT going to close the Weirs Bridge to 4 wheel traffic this year. I read this somewhere, but I do not remember if it was a proposal or a definate change.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default It is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Although I am not completely sure about this, I believe they are NOT going to close the Weirs Bridge to 4 wheel traffic this year. I read this somewhere, but I do not remember if it was a proposal or a definate change.

R2B
Confirmed by the Laconia police. Bridge stays open all the time.
Resident 2B (06-03-2012), riverat (06-04-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
Woodsy

The closing of the bridge is fluid..... If the traffic is heavy enough they will close the Weirs Bridge.

Woodsy
Old 06-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
no-engine

Reading this with interest!
InterLakes High School Graduation (Meredith, Center Harbor, Sandwich), the staff has scheduled graduation ceremonies at MedowBrook! I assume no change. Friday night, of Bike Week.

I can't imagine! Think of the out of town relatives, maybe aunts, uncles, grandparents, attempting their navigation through traffic, or being suggested to find alternate route! And then a parent said the kids will have their rehearsal Thursday the night before.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #15
Belmont Resident

If it is the Friday before the start of bike week (this coming friday) no problem, it is a normal summer Friday as nothing opens till the following day.
If it is the Friday night before fathers day weekend it sounds odd as Meadowbrook is usually booked out for a concert or event.
Are you sure you have the day correct?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
If it is the Friday before the start of bike week (this coming friday) no problem, it is a normal summer Friday as nothing opens till the following day.
If it is the Friday night before fathers day weekend it sounds odd as Meadowbrook is usually booked out for a concert or event.
Vendors are allowed to pay an additional fee and open and sell on the Friday before Bike Week officially starts. Many vendors will take advantage of that.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #17
Belmont Resident

Default why

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Vendors are allowed to pay an additional fee and open and sell on the Friday before Bike Week officially starts. Many vendors will take advantage of that.
All us smart people wait till the end and buy at deep discounts.
Of course that only applies to mainly shirts but still I'd rather have less to choose from and keep the money in my pocket.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
no-engine

Quote:
My neglect: It is Friday evening June 15, as I just checked schedule on their site
www.interlakes.org

Great facility to hold high school graduations, BUT Bike week father day weekend! No logic: for families and students from Meredith, Center Harbor and Sandwich. School officials must have their reasons. However, they are working so they never even experience traffic Thursday or Friday!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

You have to admit that is a pretty whacky day to hold a graduation. Just what I would want to do on my graduation day. Get stuck in traffic. LOL. Who thinks this stuff up? They should have planned to use the Plymouth skating rink or something North....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Interesting thread and the roads it has traveled down.

Bike week is planned so far ahead, with known dates, why anyone would complain is a mystery to me. I understand that it has its inconveniences. But so do all activities in the lakes region. I never hear complaints about the craft fairs, or quilt fairs in the area. I mean for gods sake I couldn't even find a place to park when trying to go to Heaths supermarket this weekend. And the Craft Fairs in Meredith always mess up traffic. Sure there are many more Bikers that show up then Quilters, and Craft Fair Junkies. But it is a small price to pay.

If you don't like the atmosphere, that bike week bring, simply plan a vacation if you are a permanent resident. Or don't bother coming up to your second home for a couple of weekends. If you insist on staying put for Bike week. Then Join in, take part in some of the events. No not all events are for everyone, but there are plenty of events going on all over the area, and something is bound to be of interest. You also need to get to know some of the people involved in bike week, talk with Vendors, and visitors. I take my boat over almost every year, and walk around the wiers, talk with vendors admire bikes, talk with people, and quite honestly enjoy it very much. Will I go to ten motorcycle rally's a year. Nope I will not. But when one is in my backyard, yes I will and enjoy it, learn some new things, and meet new people. It is always a good time. And never once, have I felt out of place because I didn't have a bike. In fact coming in buy boat, usually starts a few interesting comments all by itself, as I walk around in shorts and boat shoes.

The bottom line is this, sure bike week brings a few trouble makers to town. But they shouldn't ruin it for all the thousands of good guys and gals that come to the area. I will tell you that most of the rebel outlaw bikers are gone, the more riders you meet these days, are white collar workers, that like to spend their weekends, enjoying the freedom that their bikes provide.... Hum interesting, Boaters enjoy the freedom that their boats provide... Maybe the biking and boating worlds are not so far apart.
Airedale1 (06-04-2012), diz (06-04-2012), GsChinadoll (06-04-2012), ishoot308 (06-04-2012), JerseyGuy (06-05-2012), Marauder (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
You have to admit that is a pretty whacky day to hold a graduation. Just what I would want to do on my graduation day. Get stuck in traffic. LOL. Who thinks this stuff up? They should have planned to use the Plymouth skating rink or something North....
NOW, THAT'S A GREAT SUGGESTION...

I was aware via news reports that they considered Sandwich Fair Grounds and a tent over a portion of the track or athletic field in Meredith, preparing for the possible weather issues.

They have 10 days to plan a different site! I may suggest that to the one concerned parent, the most vocal...
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Well it's only the 89th year for Laconia Bike Week. So maybe some like the staff at Interlakes just have not caught on yet.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
no-engine (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
... I never hear complaints about the craft fairs, or quilt fairs in the area. I mean for gods sake I couldn't even find a place to park when trying to go to Heaths supermarket this weekend. And the Craft Fairs in Meredith always mess up traffic...
I think I've whined about craft fairs on this site before and now will do so again. I call them crap fairs. Those fairs and antique boats shows are the biggest PITA when boaters want to get a dock.

Also can't resist the urge to whine about "crafts" in general. Sure there are some skilled people around but come on some of that is just Chinese stuff with a little local frosting.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
no-engine (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I think I've whined about craft fairs on this site before and now will do so again. I call them crap fairs. Those fairs and antique boats shows are the biggest PITA when boaters want to get a dock.

Also can't resist the urge to whine about "crafts" in general. Sure there are some skilled people around but come on some of that is just Chinese stuff with a little local frosting.
Now, it's suggested you write Meredith Town Manager, Chair Select Board, Police Chief, Fire Chief and others with your thoughts, letter to editor in paper and Chamber of Commerce. Times have changed; why they approve closing one of the two ways through Meredith on an August weekend is very hard to understand. Seems things often fall on deaf ears!

Some participants (fine arts have disappeared, refer to "crafters") will complain about a different venue, BUT many will be very happy to be located at a different site, especially grassy!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
no-engine

Default Lobster Pound

Happened to go by Lobster Pound late this afternoon. I hope manager or owner reads here.
I would never know there's a restaurant behind the abutting tents along the road! They must take in enough funds from space rental fees to offset their lack of visibility to potential new customers!

Oh well, not for me to suggest how to run a business from now to the 17th, Father's Day! Just my observations each year!

Also, vendor tent on saloon side of entrance to drive-in. A revenue stream for land owner! we know who!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #26
Belmont Resident

Default Lobster pound

Quote:
Happened to go by Lobster Pound late this afternoon. I hope manager or owner reads here.
I would never know there's a restaurant behind the abutting tents along the road! They must take in enough funds from space rental fees to offset their lack of visibility to potential new customers!

Oh well, not for me to suggest how to run a business from now to the 17th, Father's Day! Just my observations each year!

Also, vendor tent on saloon side of entrance to drive-in. A revenue stream for land owner! we know who!
Believe me the lobster pound does not lack any business during bike week or even this the first weekend leading up to it.
My wife and I were there last year several times on our bikes just to people watch because the weather wasn’t good for anything else, and business was booming. We did go into the beer tent once but the music is so loud it hurts. Must be old age kicking in.
By the way anyone looking at those hanging chairs called Air Chairs beware.
We bought 2 last year and the first weekend in use one came apart at the stitching.
We are going to try and return it this year as there is no way at all to contact the vendor, all information given on the brochure led us to a dead end but more interesting is we found the same products for far less then they sell them for and we bought a pair for what we thought was a deal.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #27
jmen24

Quote:

When Lou and Harvey sold the LP, they kept the bike week vendor space rental side of the property (it was not a part of the original sale). The second year after the sale, the current owners negotiated to purchase those rights, they found out why that is an important part of that locations revenue stream. When L&H ran things, they made more off vendor rentals in one week than the LP made all year as a seasonal establishment by close to 115%.

As of two years ago, the current vendor landlords could not keep up with the vendors demands for power, water and other items of need. Don't know if they have been able to figure it out.

Bike week makes more money for Weirs businesses, than you could believe. Whether it is vendor space rental or actual sales, it is a serious cash flow.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #28
Belmont Resident

Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
When Lou and Harvey sold the LP, they kept the bike week vendor space rental side of the property (it was not a part of the original sale). The second year after the sale, the current owners negotiated to purchase those rights, they found out why that is an important part of that locations revenue stream. When L&H ran things, they made more off vendor rentals in one week than the LP made all year as a seasonal establishment by close to 115%.

As of two years ago, the current vendor landlords could not keep up with the vendors demands for power, water and other items of need. Don't know if they have been able to figure it out.

Bike week makes more money for Weirs businesses, than you could believe. Whether it is vendor space rental or actual sales, it is a serious cash flow.
If things are going sooo well then why not dump some of those profits into that run down dump they call a drive-in.
Don’t get me wrong I like the drive in and I am glad it is here, but come on the place is a dump. A new bathroom would be a start; the existing ones are only a small step up from out houses.
It isn't like they are charging a couple of dollars to see the movie.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #29
jmen24

Quote:
If things are going sooo well then why not dump some of those profits into that run down dump they call a drive-in.
Don’t get me wrong I like the drive in and I am glad it is here, but come on the place is a dump. A new bathroom would be a start; the existing ones are only a small step up from out houses.
It isn't like they are charging a couple of dollars to see the movie.
You don't know Larry very well. If you did you would understand why his profits are not put back into the drive-in. Must folks have done this research, but how do you lose millions of dollars in a ponzi scheme, when you own run-down properties?

Not every business owner reallocates a percentage of profit for business improvements or capital reserve. Some put it in their personal coffers and others spend it on whatever. There is no set law on how profits need to be distributed, some options are wiser than others.

Lou and Harvey never put those profits back into the LP either.

The current owners of the LP had already made a serious investment in the new LP. It was after the fact that they realized what they had left on the table and worked to secure that revenue.

This is the week when all those vacant lots come to life.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #30
Belmont Resident

Post jmen24

About 6-7 years ago my wife decided to get into rental property. Long story short she wishes she had not but both buildings consisting of 5 units have been completely remodeled by us and are in 100% better shape then when we got them.
We decide ahead of time we were not going to be slum lords.
Some people just have no morals, while others do.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #31
jmen24

Yup, it takes all kinds!