Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
donnamatrix

Default No Wake for Memorial Day Weekend ?

I have searched the local papers and the NH Fish & Game website but have been unable to find any info related to imposing mandatory no wake zone for Memorial Day Weekend or longer period of time. I know this would prevent the Mount from running, but the lake is so high right now, the Center Harbor docks are under water, our friend's dock in Moultonboro is under as well. Anybody have any late breaking news ?
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Woodsy

Donnamatrix..

Check out the thread in the Generl Discussion section. Just like in 1998 I suspect they won't declare a mandatory lake wide NWZ until friday. They want to make sure the tourists can't cancel and the hotels get thier $$$.

Woodsy
Old 05-25-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
WakeUp

Default Unethical Tactic...

Woodsy - I don't remember when the NWZ was declared in '98, but I'll take your word for it in this thread. If this is indeed the tactic the MP is going to use, (i.e. waiting until Friday to declare the NWZ), they are setting people up for failure by NOT getting the word out in time. If they wait until Friday, they might as well not declare a NWZ at all because word won't effectively get out. I think it would be EXTEMELY unfair to people who tried to do the right thing, following current information, make their plans as to where to spend the $, etc. only to be told at the last possible moment NOT to use their boat as they wish. IF THE MP INTENTIONALLY WAITS UNTIL FRIDAY TO IMPOSE THE NWZ, KNOWING TODAY THAT IT SHOULD BE IMPOSED, THEY ARE DEFEATING THE PURPOSE.
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #4
Woodsy

WakeUp...

The MP aren't the only ones involved in the descision, they are just the enforcers. The decision has to be made at the top by the MP's Boss... Director of the NH Dept of Safety, Richard Flynn. Given that Governor Lynch gave a speech last night effectively saying NH was "open for business" despite the flood, I am not sure we are going to see a Mandatory NWZ for Memorial Day. I would surmise that the government needs the money from the tourists & daytrippers to help pay for the repairs....

Woodsy
Old 05-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
ApS

Exclamation By dawn's early light...

My dock has been immersed and partly afloat for several days now.

This morning's calm disclosed that the dock's windward side is higher by about an inch. (Meaning the windward pilings have been loosened by three days of strong NW winds and wave action). Resetting pilings run hundreds of dollars.

What is the Governor's address? He needs to write a FEMA check for high-water/flood damage here.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
Weekend Pundit

Default No Wake Zone in '98

The entire lake was declared a no wake zone in '98 after the heavy rains and snow runoff during the spring. It was lifted on 4th of July. It made for some unhappy boaters and tourist businesses.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote