Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
secondcurve

Default Cloudy Windows, Ugh

I made a stupid mistake recently! After hauling the boat out of the water for the winter I threw the plastic windshield from the bimini top in my trunk and forgot about it for a couple of days. The experienced boaters on the forum know this is a major no, no. Well you guessed it, when I got around to putting the windshield away for the winter I noticed that where the sides of the window had been pressed together a cloud had formed on both sides. Nothing terrible, but I am sure it will annoy me to no end next summer. My questions. What causes clouds such as these? Is it possible to remove them? And finally, if they can't be fixed, which I am pretty sure is what I am about to be told, how much would it cost (roughly) to have new plastic put in a windshiled that is about 3 1/2 feet by 2 feet, give or take? Thanks!

Last edited by secondcurve; 10-17-2005 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Double Post
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
codeman671

As far as cost goes I cannot imagine it would cost you more than $100-150 to have new plastic sewn in. I had a side window in a jeep soft top done a few years ago for $75. I priced up having a custom made enclosure (front, sides and back with access door) done for a 21' bowrider this summer and it was approximately $300 per panel, canvas and plastic.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:43 PM   #3
DRH

Don't give up on your clouded window quite yet. The clouding could be caused by moisture that was trapped when you stored the window with part of it folded onto itself for a couple days. Try laying the window out in direct sunlight on a dry day for a few hours and see what happens. Make sure air can circulate on both sides of the clear vinyl. The sun may bake the moisture out of the vinyl, and the window might clear on its own. Worth a try.

Last edited by DRH; 10-17-2005 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Fix typo
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:51 AM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Cloudy Windows

DRH is right, but if time does not heal the cloudiness, try plastic window polish.
Good luck! Let us know how you make out.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
hazelnut

All is not lost.... I did this same thing this summer and after laying the windows out in the blazing sunshine for a mere hour lo and behold the windows cleared up.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2005, 08:16 AM   #6
Phantom

Rattlesnake Gal -- have you actually used that polish/cleaner that you linked to?? If so, how'd ya like it (pro's / con's)??

I've been hunting for just such a product - unsucessfully - an old time boater told me to use "Jubilee Cleaner/wax" but the idea of THAT scared me for fear of ireperably streaking when wet.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Dave R

As others have stated, they clouds should clear up on their own.

Plexus spray is wonderful for restoration of clear plastics.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
billhurley

While we are on the topic of clouded windows. Does anyone have any tricks for putting the plastic and canvas away for the winter? In the past I have just rolled them up and put them in my canvas bag, but my new boat has more plastic than I have ever had.

Thanks Bill
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:25 PM   #9
Silver Duck

Phantom

I've used the cleaner and polish, but not the other stuff. I found that they did a very good job.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:35 PM   #10
secondcurve

Default Thanks

Well that is potentially better news than I had expected. I left the plastic spread out by my slider when I left. Hopefully, that helped. If not, I'll wait for the next sunny day and get them outside. Unfortunately, there probably won't be many of those left this year.

Thanks again,

Secondcurve
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:17 PM   #11
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhurley
While we are on the topic of clouded windows. Does anyone have any tricks for putting the plastic and canvas away for the winter? In the past I have just rolled them up and put them in my canvas bag, but my new boat has more plastic than I have ever had.

Thanks Bill
Bill, we use old bed sheets between the layers of clear plastic windows when we roll them up for winter storage. The old sheets prevent the windows from contacting each other, and they also prevent scratches from the windows rubbing on zippers or snaps.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:53 PM   #12
billhurley

Thanks DRH. I will try that
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:04 AM   #13
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Rattlesnake Gal -- have you actually used that polish/cleaner that you linked to?? If so, how'd ya like it (pro's / con's)??
No, we haven't had need of it. A wise friend told us about the rolling them in sheets like DRH suggested.
I took that a step further. Wal-Mart had $2.00 flat sheets, so I bought three different colors. Front, back and sides. Not that I'll remember which were which!
(It's been a while since they have been used.)
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #14
Misty Blue

Default Cleaning plastic windows

We have had good luck getting scratches, etc. out of plexiglass using lemon pledge. It cleans it and fills in the scratches. We have used it on the boat, on plastic boat cover windows and even on a Cessna.

'Smells good too!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:13 PM   #15
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Lemon Pledge

I agree with Misty Blue Lemon pledge works great.My windows are 8 years old still in good condition.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #16
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Bob
I agree with Misty Blue Lemon pledge works great.My windows are 8 years old still in good condition.
I heard about the Lemon Pledge treatment for clear plastic windows over a decade ago and have been using it ever since. We owned our previous boat for 9 years and when we traded it, its windows were as clear as when the boat was new.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #17
trfour

Post Another vote for lemon pledge

Also works great on all of your vinyl, seats, dashboards and such. An old salesman, ( Bob Blaton ) that worked for us back in the early seventies used it on his collection of antique cars and everything vinyl looked new. I have used it on all of my cars, trucks, boat and snowmobile's ever since.

PS- Also works wonders on your snowmobile helmet shield, keeps it from fogging up and takes out all of the scratches, gives you a clear view and smells good too..... 10-four?!!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 04-11-2006 at 10:26 AM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote