Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
salesguy77

Default No Wake- Gov/Eagle

I'm sure that the people that read this forum understand the changes with that have occured on the lake. I'm 39 years old and my family has owned property/business here for over 50 years. I'm frustrated with the boaters that have taken over the lake. The ones that do no obey the law or take the time to understand it. My family and I were travelling from Paugus to Lockes Island the morning of July 4th. There were a few boaters in the channel that don't understand head way speed, specifically a cabin cruiser that almost went over on the port side as he left the dock just before the bridge on the right.

My biggest issue is the area that is now a No Wake Zone between Eagle and Governor's Islands. There were a total of 4 boats that proceeded at a speed higher than headway speed. If people aren't going to take the time to learn about the changes on the lake then the state needs to do something to enforce the changes. How about educating the boaters at the various gas docks on the lake? Every boater needs gas! The can also change the no wake markers so they look more official. The ones between Eagle and Gov look like they were purchased at the marine supply store.

I feel better now!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Dave R

Unfortunately, you are probably preaching to the choir here.

I don't let it bother me for the most part. I only got mad once when a wake washed completely over my bow about 50 feet from the Wolfeboro town docks. Even then, I was not all that mad and remained so for only a short time. We boat for fun. It's not like an afternoon commute.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default What I witnessed

Just thought I would chime in on enforcement. This weekend I can imagine the marine Patrol was busy hoping from one thing to another. But on Friday I was over at the Govenor and Eagle Is. NWZ and I can tell you that there was a officer sitting there watching everyone....And She was even in a spot where she was hidden from the people coming in towards the Wiers. I didn't see anyone get pulled over, put I did see a couple of boats pull back on the throttle pretty quick.....

So my point is this the MP is doing the best they can.....and are making in my mind a valid attempt to enforce the new NWZ
Old 07-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
66WINN

Default Full Speed

On Sunday I was passing through the NWZ and watched as a speedboat with a young driver approached me from behind doing 40+ mph. I thought for sure has was going to hit me. He continued right through the NWZ at full speed within 75 feet of me. I shook my had as he passed and he flipped me off! Where was marine patrol for that one! I really think they need bigger NWZ bouys there.
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
Phantom

I have stayed away from this thread as best I could -- but as mentioned above --

It TOTALLY baffles me why Marine Patrol did not use the "Big Boy" buoy's for this area in it's innagural year.

As a vacation spot, with a goodly amount of transiet boating traffic, I can fully appreciate some (not all) boats blowing right through this new wake. Heck, I knew it was there and damn near missed it over Memorial Day week-end. Yes the 150' rule should be known to every single boater (rentals included) or don't drive -- I'm talking about blowing through when no other traffic is in the NWZ. MP really shoulda used the LARGE buoys is my point.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default bigger bouys?????

Now I am not one to argue....and yes maybe bigger bouys would help some.....But come on....I saw 4 Bouys marking the area....and unless all you do is look straight ahead it would be hard to miss.......This is no more a problem then a new traffic light popping up in an area where it is not expected....and a few cars always run the light....

it is going to take a little while for it to be 100% effective.....And the Marine Patrol needs a little time to hit the real arrogant violators where it hurts.....
Old 07-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Rayhunt

Default No excuses

The idea that anyone wouldnt be used to that area being a NWZ is no excuse .. The signs are there, its a narrow passage slow it down !
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
Joanna16

Our boat may be one of those that you say "have taken over the lake" since we have only been boating in Winni since 2000. However, we always use proper boat rules and obey lake postings - I fear that the major perp in this situation may be some boaters who have been on the lake "forever" and just don't bother paying attention.
PS - I agree that the makers could have been bigger - but unless you are completely blind they are obviously there.
Joanna16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
Bear Islander

Isn't it strange that when there is a Marine Patrol boat in the area, almost everybody knows what the rules are.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #10
Airwaves

salesguy77 wrote:
Quote:
How about educating the boaters at the various gas docks on the lake? Every boater needs gas!
You're right. That would be the most effective way to do it. But, if you are really a "salesguy" you know that telling folks what they can't do isn't good for sales.

My family has had one place or another on the lake for nearly 100 years...yep, we've been flatlanders that long! (You could also read that; None voting taxpayers for nearly a century!)

A few years ago I spoke with one of the ranking officiers of the NH Marine Patrol (probably retired by now) and I asked him why there is no open container law (for alcohol) on NH waters. He told me it was because every large cruiser out on the lake had a "bar" and every owner could be arrested. So they don't say you can't have an open container of alcohol on board.

My point is that telling people what they CAN'T do is bad for business.

As far as changing the No Wake signs, I agree that NH should comply with the rest of the country and the USCG as far as navigational aides are concerned, but the buttom line is it's about the Benjamin's
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
John A. Birdsall

Default education at gas docks?

I can see it now, a young gas attendant giving law lessons to say 21 year olds or 80 year olds for that matter.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:07 AM   #12
Par Four

John - Not giving law lessons, but maybe just helpful reminders...

A few weeks back during the high water / 600' no wake zone times, I couldn't help but wonder why some form of notices were not being posted at every town dock, marinas and gas docks. Heck, I'd have thought every form of outlet for boating good and services would have had some form notice up and visible.

Seemed like ignorance of the 600' NWZ was involved more than arrogance as far as what I heard.

Good safe and responsible use of the Lake is in all of our interests, isn't it?
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
RamJet

Default Governor and Eagle Island

Lots of MP monitoring and pulling aside at the Governor and Eagle Island areas yesterday. Slowed people down quite a bit.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #14
codeman671

We were coming under the Weirs Bridge around midnight on Saturday night and noticed a MP RIB backed in by the swim line at the beach. As we left the channel and started to proceed towards Eagle/Governers he took off rapidly and set up just inside of Eagle to see if we would blow the markers. There was no other boats around, he clearly was looking for a reason to make a stop.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #15
Rayhunt

Default MP activity

I live within sight of the MP headquarters. Lots more activity this year than in the last 40 that ive seen. They were stopping 25% of the traffic between Lockes and there base during the 600' NWZ. Lets hope its a sign of better things for the lake. Although I dont think anyone can argue the fact that EDUCATION is the key.
The right of way rule is something a 3rd grader can understand ..nonetheless it escapes many college graduates out on the lake
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote